Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I’m surprised that Station Eleven hasn’t appeared on any lists yet since it technically counts; I know it’s a goon favorite and the last 2 (edit: 3) eps aired in Jan 2022.

I’ve nearly finished compiling all the 2022 shows I’ve watched, now I just need to rank them and gently caress is that hard!

timp fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I did my best!!

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Love is Blind: Japan (Netflix) - Just like the American Love is Blind, but in Japan! Fans of Terrace House should absolutely check this show out, as it has a very similar vibe.

Alone S8 (History Channel) - 10 contestants are air-lifted into the wilderness with almost zero supplies; last one remaining wins. Probably the single best reality TV show in existence.

Kevin Can F*** Himself S2 (AMC) - Half multi-camera sitcom, half single-camera drama. The ending was a bit rushed, but still a very fun and funny show that delivers on its premise.

Better Call Saul S6 (AMC) - I was kind of shocked to learn that this wasn't a top 10 for me! Obviously it's incredible television, but there were things about it that bothered me, and it didn't stick with me as much as the ones that made my Top 10.

TOP TEN

10. Um, Actually S6 & S7 (Dropout)
A game show in which three contestants, typically the likes of TV writers, critics, YouTube personalities, voice actors, podcasters, etc. listen to a factually incorrect statement about a TV show, movie, video game, or book (usually fantasy, sci-fi or something else nerdy/obscure) and chime in when they hear what’s wrong with it, starting their objection with the phrase “Um, Actually” (interrupting the host is encouraged) Maybe a bit of a contrarian pick, but I can’t deny how much joy this show brings me every other week. I believe most of the show’s seven seasons are on YouTube so there’s no excuse not to check out this hilarious game show.

9. Tokyo Vice (HBOMax)
This show just oozes style. If you’ve ever wondered what it was like to be in Tokyo in the 1990’s, this is the show for you (not that’d I’d know personally, but it sure feels right) I understand there was maybe some COVID fuckery that forced them to rush the ending a bit which was a shame, but I’m really looking forward to Season 2.

8. The Boys S3 (Amazon Prime Video)
Gross, funny, and cool in equal measures. I looked forward to every episode and was never disappointed.

7. Barry S3 (HBO)
Somehow manages to be laugh-out-loud funny while also making me feel tense, uneasy, even disturbed at times. You’re just waiting for it all to come crashing down…

6. Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal S2 (Cartoon Network / HBOMax)
A caveman and his T-rex buddy stomp around a prehistoric world, meeting (and sometimes eating) new people and tribes along the way, all animated in what could best be described as a cute and blocky “Sunday Morning Comic” art style, which is in stark contrast to the violence and mature themes presented. This show loving owns, man. I was hesitant as I made my way through the first season, nearly dismissing it as juvenile. But I stuck with it, and I’m so glad I did. The second season feels more sophisticated than the first, and although the end gave me some whiplash, the journey was incredible.

5. Stranger Things S4 (Netflix)
How is this show still so good?! I read a tweet that was something to the effect of “I keep coming back to this show each season expecting to suddenly start hating it, but by the end of the first episode I’m hooked every time”. Couldn’t agree more.

4. The Rehearsal (HBO)
I’ve just never seen any other show like this in my life, and that includes Nathan Fielder’s previous offerings. If I had any criticisms of The Rehearsal, it would just be that it was too short, and we’ll probably have to wait longer than I would like for S2. But trust that I’ll be there the night of the premiere when it comes back.

3. The White Lotus S2 (HBO)
A sad and sexy show. This is one of the most confident shows I’ve ever seen; it’s just so comfortable in its own skin. The locations are as gorgeous as the cast, and they’re written and acted in such a relatable way that you almost forget that nearly each and every one of them is playing variations on a rich snobby shithead. It’s sorta hard to convey what’s so great about this show, because everytime I try to summarize “what happens” to people, it always comes out like “rich people go on vacation”, which sounds like a terrible show. But Mike White has found a way to examine these people and their relationships in a way that’s both fascinating, relatable, and repulsive all at once. I also love the way Season 2 managed to be such a faithful continuation of S1 despite having an almost entirely new cast and a brand new location. It’s not the characters or plot that defines this show, but rather the feelings and themes that make it what it is.

2. House of the Dragon (HBO)
Game of Thrones is back, baby. It’s good again. AWOOO. Seriously though, I was so, SO relieved after watching the first episode to learn that HotD is much more akin to early GOT than late GOT. I’m a big fan of the Targaryan history laid out in some of George R.R. Martin’s ancillary history books and short stories, and I’d always contended that they’d make for some cool-rear end TV. A few of the scenes I’d read about in the histories played out just as epicly as I’d imagined when reading them, and in some cases, even cooler. There are definitely some unfortunate missteps in this show (a few of the scenes ARE, unfortunately, more like late GOT then early GOT) but overall I can’t deny how much I would look forward to 9:00 PM on Sunday when this show was airing. Can’t wait for more.

1. Severance (Apple TV+)
gently caress I did NOT see this show coming. The main reason I decided to check it out was because the initial bit of marketing material I saw about it reminded me of the 2019 game Control, which I definitely fell in love with after playing in 2021. While not exactly the same, a lot of the themes carry over: the existential dread of an office cubicle lit with fluorescent lighting, hallways that are more like mazes, the feeling that there’s WAY more going on than you could ever comprehend…it all clicked for me. And the story is extremely compelling, tight, funny, all those words you want to hear when describing plot. The characters are endearing and feel familiar. I’m supremely excited to continue this story.

My Full 2022 Viewing List
Alone S8 | The Amazing Race S33 | The Amazing Race S34 | Barry S3 | The Bear
Better Call Saul S5 | Blown Away S3 | The Boys S3 | Claim to Fame | The Circle S4
The Circle S5 (1st 4 eps. In 2022) | DAHMER | Euphoria S2 | The Expanse (last 2 eps. In 2022) | Floor is Lava S3
God’s Favorite Idiot | The Handmaid’s Tale S5 | Hell’s Kitchen S21 (1st 9 eps. in 2022) | House of the Dragon | Is It Cake?
Kevin Can F*** Himself S2 | Love is Blind: Japan | Our Flag Means Death | The Patient | Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal S2
The Rehearsal | Rick and Morty S6 | The Righteous Gemstones S2 | Severance | The Sex Lives of College Girls S2
Station Eleven (last 3 eps. in 2022) | Stranger Things S4 | Tokyo Vice | Um, Actually S6 | Um, Actually S7
The Vow S2 | Welcome to Wrexham | The White Lotus S2

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I like your picks! The handful of lesser-known shows that made both of our lists (Alone, Primal) make me even more compelled to check out the stuff on your list that I haven’t seen yet

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Meatgrinder posted:

Amazing work man thanks