Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

So I've done these lists a LOT of years and crammed a ton of seasons of tv this December on my break to "catch up" with some of the good poo poo y'all were recommending since I missed it in my Disney Marvel Universe/Drag Race-haze. I think my list has solid recs and they suit my taste perfectly. Here goes:

10. A League of Their Own
Really good historic representation of minority groups in sports? Say it isn't so! PoC/LGBT women in baseball, will wonders never cease. It was heartfelt at times, then others it was just brutal with how much they could hurt our characters in situations that probably happened commonly to these groups in the past. The ending, while bittersweet, suits every character well and by God, D'Arcy Carden has taken over from Peggy Carter as the woman in red (lipstick).

9. Interview with a Vampire
Okay, I know, ANOTHER vampire show? Based on something with an already killer movie adaptation? The cards were stacked against this tv show, but it proves that even if you switch the era, age, sexuality, and color of the characters, you can still reach into the heart of what was truly innovative and important in the novel and bring something fresh to the table. Start for Lestat, stay for Claudia.

8. House of the Dragon
Tell me where on the doll's heart D&D hurt you? Then watch this show and have it healed! They took scant little chapters in G.R.R.M's newest novel and somehow managed to turn around an abysmal Game of Thrones reputation. And that's considering they had to switch actresses for the main roles mid-way! The scenery is lush, the writing up-to-snuff, and the acting.... Paddy's last episode was so heartbreaking and tipped the scales into chaos. However, as we all know, chaos is a ladder. Looking forward to season 2.

7. This Is Going to Hurt
My goodness. I was in the medical field, once upon a time, so I take issue with lovely "case of the week" embellished, fake medical drama bullshit, but this, this isn't it. The situations are stressful, sometimes unfair, and heartbreaking, but funny and healing sometimes too. The acting is VERY good and, if I may say, the medical bits are tastefully shot so they are gritty and realistic, but not gore or too horrifying for the layman. Watch for the penultimate episode at least. Subtle spoiler: get ready to weep.

6. Peacemaker
This would have landed in the top ten for the music and the opening, but hell if the episodes themselves aren't solid gold. Cena reminds me of Bautista in that wrestlers GET that sometimes acting is all in the subtleties, and sometimes acting is a big, bold show. We start with thinking Peacemaker is a funny tool, an idiot with nothing much but interesting quips, you know, for a loser, but you grow to love the little dirtbag.

5. Sandman
If I could call anything transportive magic, this is it. The craftsmanship put into everything, from casting and costuming to CGI is perfection. Morpheus manages to make monotone layered, with little tics and microexpressions showing he's changing and evolving as episodes pass. Death's episode is beautiful and I hold fondness in my heart for the Muse's episode, given as a little treat to viewers after the show's season concluded.

4. Abbott Elementary
The thing bandied about this show is how REAL it is, how it shows the humor and the horror that is teaching children. These characters are doing grueling work, but somehow, even if nothing gets solved the way you think, the teachers manage to do the most for their kids. You can't manage to pick one episode or one character as the best; the ensemble works well together and the writing is solid.

3. Severance
At first, I was interested, if confused by the premise and lured in by Adam Scott's presence, but then I saw episode one and was hooked! It's so trippy, but new and human in its portrayal of gentle sci-fi/thriller drama themes. Every time I thought the writers would zig, they zagged and surprised the poo poo outta me. Those last two episodes had me on tenterhooks and left me dashing to go to the thread and ask, "Please sir, may I have some more?"

2. The Bear
Oh my God, these episodes had me anxious, stressed, and hungry as hell. Normally, an episode inciting such negative emotions would vex me, but this was gritty and real. It managed to make me think, "People in the restaurant industry are heroes," but not in the corny Hallmark way, in the, "That life fucks you up and you STILL serve people?" It's a perfect encapsulation of that world, from line chef, to manager, to dishwasher, to cashier. Even if it hadn't gotten renewed, that season was fully-told, so to speak, with enough wiggle room to think, "I'd like to know what happens next."

1. Yellowjackets
OH MY GOD. The music, the acting, the premise! Superb! Magnifico! I haven't been disillusioned to work like this since I didn't watch Lost, but I pity that this show's on Showtime; more people need to know about this and watch/discuss by the watercooler. Again, another show that could've possibly been hindered by a split cast, since they portray the same characters in two different eras of their lives and one era is them as teens (and you know how lovely teen actors can be sometimes), but wasn't! The theme song is stuck in my head and its been weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Fabulous job Looten! I'm definitely going to check out Andor; it seems to be loved a LOT.