Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i barely watch any TV because of my lack of a life being filled primarily with videogame playing (and also I prefer to watch movies these days)

n/a) The Cuphead Show - It's honestly not for me. The animation is really nice but this is definitely for a younger crowd and has more predictable setups and punchlines.

n/a) Aggretsuko s4 - I guess it aired in December of 2021 so it's not eligible. This season was a major rebound from the really strange third season and got back to what the show does best, unflinchingly skewer workplace politics. That said, the karaoke aspect has fallen way off-- maybe they recognize that the novelty of the gimmick has faded. It does serve an important purpose at one point in the season but otherwise I wonder if it will even play a role at all in the final season next month.

n/a) Baywatch Nights - not released this year or any recent year, but it should be seen by anyone who has a group of friends that likes to watch trash. there are some episodes that are so odd they defy description, like the 'season finale' where Ryan gets trapped in a painting world (presumably because the actress had already started to move on to Law & Order so her involvement was limited maybe?) so you just get Mitch and others kind of wandering around shouting and talking to a voice in the walls a lot. There's also the episode where they go through a portal to some future world? But they didn't have the budget to show the future so it's all shadows and darkness, except for one shot where there's some sort of giant dinosaur egg??? they clearly wanted to do X-Files but seemed determined not to actually watch or research X-Files to know what it was about.

n/a) Sakura Quest - heartwarming adult slice of life show about 4 women who come together in a tourist trap town on the verge of dying out, and have a year to turn things around and save it. aired a few years ago

4) Forged in Fire - continues to be the most wholesome competition show on TV. the new host is a little awkward but at least they're not anti-vax. all of the dads that make knives on this show are easy to root for because they support each other, they hold their head high when they lose, there's no forced anger or animosity, just dads in cowboy hats and ill-fitting shirts that love to make swords.

3) Ascendance of a Bookworm s3 - I would joke about how the show seemed to handwave away conflicts with remarkable efficiency but the second half of the season actually escalated the stakes pretty significantly and led to some major changes. I can't tell if there's going to be more of the anime based on how the last episode in particular was directed as if it was a sort of sendoff. They do say the story will continue but anime has done that sort of "the story will continue.. in the manga!" ending before and I haven't heard of a s4 pickup yet. If that's it for the show, it was a very interesting isekai show managing to thread the needle between power fantasy and misery showcase. I will not be subjecting myself to a thousand other isekai shows to find similar promise.

2) Murderville - What a stupid, funny and stupid show. I vibed particularly with the episodes where the guests were very into the premise, like Marshawn Lynch's episode, or worked very well with Arnett, like Conan's. If more gets made, I hope that they trim some of the scripted skits because the scripted comedy just doesn't land like the improvised comedy does.

1) The Owl House s2 - Despite having to be rushed to completion due to executive fuckery, TOH continues to be a worthy action-comedy followup to Gravity Falls. It's a teeeeensy bit cloying with Luz and Amity's relationship, but it's also important representation in a kid's cartoon so I can't really criticize that aspect that much.

there's honestly a lot of TV i could've/should've watched but I have a brain problem where I can't get super into binging. shows I would've liked to have seen: Russian Doll s2, Andor, Severance, The Afterparty, Only Murders in the Building, and The Rehearsal. What's most likely going to happen is I continue to watch movies instead

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU