Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Welcome everybody! We're back! Sorry for the delay. A new year of TV has almost concluded so it's time to find out what everyones favourite TV shows are. The TV landscape is more varied than ever, but there are still some pop culture juggernauts hanging around to battle it out at the top of the poll. Will Better Call Saul carry on Breaking Bad's great legacy? Will House of the Dragon have the same impact on our users as Game of Thrones? Will Apple take HBOs crown as the prestige TV king? All these questions and more will be settled! Join us in celebrating the best that 2022 had to offer in our Annual Poll.

:siren::siren::siren:Deadline is 11:59PM US EST Friday 20th of Jan:siren::siren::siren:

:siren:VOTING RULES:siren:
1. Every show you pick must have had a first time airing in its country of origin in full or in part during 2022. This could be a network show, a cable show, an online show, a TV movie (not movies from streaming services), it could even be a Youtube thing if you're down with what the kids are calling 'it'.
2. The joy of this thread is in getting to shout about your favourites and hear about the hidden gems that you missed and we can only do that if you talk about why you've chosen the shows you have. You can write a sentence, you can write an essay, whatever you like as long as you write something. Any lists posted without reasons for their picks will not be counted in the final vote.
3. If you want to list more than ten shows go for it but I'll only count your top ten. If you want to list less than ten shows then go for that too but I won't count it at all. If you don't want to rank your picks then that's fine as well but again, I won't count it.
4. Don't be a dick about other people's choices. This is a positive thread to celebrate the best of TV, not a place for people to get lost in an argument over which genre show in its third season poo poo the bed worst. If you want to be critical then take it elsewhere.
5. If you want to talk about spoilers in your post then by all means go for it but put a spoiler warning at the start of your list.
6. If you want to go back and edit your list after the fact then go for it, just shoot me a PM or post in the thread to let me know you have or I might not count it. Please ensure you edit your original post, don’t create a new list. I will periodically link user posts in the second comment of this thread.
7. Deadline for submissions is 11:59 on Jan 20th . I'll then do a live countdown of the final results some time after that at a time that suits the thread (that I'm able to do from the other side of the world.)

:siren:To make the collation of results and the creation of the results a bit easier - I've created a Google Form that I'd really apppreciate you filling out in addition to posting your ballots in the thread. This isn't mandatory - the official ballots are the ones posted in the thread. Your votes will not count if they're not posted in the thread, it will just help me out greatly if you do in fact fill it out. The form can be found :redflag:here:redflag::siren:

There you have it, it's as simple as that!

Previous Polls
TVIV Poll 2012: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523734
TVIV Poll 2013: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3591552
TVIV Poll 2014: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686396
TVIV Poll 2015: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754622
TVIV Poll 2016: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800289
TVIV Poll 2017: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840812
TVIV Poll 2018: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876499
TVIV Poll 2019: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905825
TVIV Poll 2020: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952217
TVIV Poll 2021: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3988330
TVIV Poll Best of the Decade: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3975091

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Reminder in case you're bad at reading threads - If you could take a couple of extra minutes to also post your ballots on this Google Sheet to make it easier for me to collate the reasult, it would be greatly appreciated.

https://forms.gle/9HpivZM3Q4foNDY69

Individual Ballots
Jerusalem
Hakkesshu
Problematic Pigeon
Ishamael
Bulky Bartokomous
Andrew_1985
timp
Achillesforever6
BetterLekNextTime
fancy stats
TelevisedInsanity
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
bagrada
Oasx
Alhazred
Escobarbarian
Pillowpants
Shageletic
Chairman Capone
ShakeZula
Pan Dulce
cryptoclastic
Alhazred
King Burgundy
Leatherhead
cant cook creole bream
Meatgrinder
Looten Plunder
Shneak
Open Source Idiom
Mrbuddylee
Yer Burnt
CeeJee
DarklyDreaming
Raspberry Bang

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 30, 2023

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Some shows that aired for the first time this year - far from exhaustive but it's what I came up with:

A League of Their Own
Abbott Elementary
American Gigolo
Andor
Black Bird
From
Gaslit
Irma Vep
Jack Ryan
Love Life
Mo
Murdeville
Pachinko
Peacemaker
Pistol
Reboot
Roar
SAS Rogue Heroes
Severance
Shantaram
She Hulk
Slow Horses
That Dirty Black Bag
The Afterparty
The Dropout
The English
The House of the Dragon
The Patient
The Peripheral
The Recruit
The Rehearsal
The Sandman
The Staircase
Tulsa King
We Own This City
Wednesday
Welcome to Wrexham
Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Did Mustache Ride change their username in the thread or did they only fill out the survey and not post in the thread?

You also didn't include any commentary

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 12, 2023

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

You've got 11 shows here. Am I just cutting off Cabinet of Curiosities?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Pillowpants posted:

10. A million Little Things: I love James Roday – he can make me angry, laugh, cry etc better than anyone else.
9. The MCU TV Shows; Between the Two TV special presentations, Ms. Marvel, and She Hulk – the TV shows were better than the movies this year, but I have to give it to Ms. Marvel for bringing my X-Men MCU introduction that much closer.

Please fix this or A Million Little Things gets the axe and She Hulk gets 10th cause you mentioned it last.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Fair point. I'll make it that unless it's clarified

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Everyone's list has been captured in my spreadsheet up to this point. If anyone makes any further changes, please let me know.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Not so honourable mentions to the following. I enjoyed these shows for what they were:

Peaky Blinders - Cillian Murphy is a fascinating actor. Show was never an all-timer for me, and these season was one of the worst but it was still a fun ride.
Ozark - Kind of disappointing final season after a really fun ride up until this point. Last couple of episodes were especially frustrating.
The Walking Dead - I drifted from this show after about season 5 but picked it back up again this year and from about season 9 onwards, it really started to do some good things again which gave me glimpses of previous greatness. I liked what they did in this final season.
Yellowstone, 1883, 1923 and Tulsa King - I'm gonna keep watching them all but the wheels are starting to fall of the Sheridan machine (Tulsa King is ehhhhh and 1923 so far has been astoundingly bad)

Honorable mentions to the following. These could have been on my list on any given day but just didn't ge there. Would still love to give them a shout out:

Welcome To Wrexham - Just missed my list when I realised I forgot Atlanta. I battled plenty of cynics on the forum re: this show, but it was an absolute joy to watch. Rob and Ryan seem like genuinely good guys and it was really fun getting to know this team, the people of the town and to follow them on their journey. Can't wait for season two.
Reboot - Really liked this show. Fun concept. Great to have Rachel Bloom back on my screen.
Black Bird - This is my poo poo. Really well done prison drama. I found Taron Edgerton to be electric. Dude just commands your attention and is captivating.
Tokyo Vice - Yeah, Ansel Elgort is a bit of a chump (if not worse) but the show is fun and the universe is cool.
Mythic Quest - The cast has a ton of charm. Charlotte Nicdao might be my favourite person in the world. Show has a high floor but didn't hit it out of the park this year.
Reservation Dogs - Show continues to knock it out of the park. A genuinely fascinating show to watch each week and learn more about the indigenous population of the US.
Bluey - Not as good as previous seasons but still the best kids show on TV by far.
Industry - Binged both seasons in December and had a ton of fun.
After Life - I know he's the internets least favourite person (in my internet circles anyway), but I like Ricky Gervais and it continues to baffle me how he continues to make be bawl my eyes out with every episode of this show.
Mayor of Kingstown - The best of the expanded Taylor Sheridan-verse.
Avenue 5 - Wish this didn't take so long to return. Had a ton of fun with it though.
Mo - This was my random "scrolling through Netflix and click on it" self discovery of the year. Binged it in a couple of days and really enjoyed it. Love learning about new slices of life for various populations.
The Patient - Fun little thriller with good performances all around. Really tight, well structured story and show.
Animal Kingdom - The show continued to be fun to the very end. I'm glad to have been there for the entire journey and was fun to watch the boys story conclude.

10. Peacemaker
I felt like this aired forever ago and it's hard to remember how much fun I had watching it, but the fact I still remember having fun with it is impressive in itself. I've not been a fan of anything DC related over the last few years, but James Gunn might just change all that.

9. The White Lotus
I was a fan of the first season but season two for me was an improvement in every way. Mike White is doing something that no one else on TV is doing and I could see this show easily going another 2-3 seasons if he wants it o. Aubrey Plaza continues to evolve and truly impress.

8. The English
I think Westerns might well be becoming one of my favourite genres. This show was an absolute hoot. Some really unique storytelling and imagry and some really interesting tonal choices.

7. We Own This City
Yeah, David Simon can be a bit of of a prick on Twitter, but holy poo poo, he can still make good TV shows. There was a some clunky, overly preachy dialogue here and there, but the story was riveting, the cast was amazing and the depiction of real life events was both astounding and jawdropping. I absolutely loved following along with all the supplemenaty podcasts and twitter feeds.

6. Barry
This show continues to impress. It does things that are truly unique that no other shows are doing on TV. A great balance of comedy and pathos that contiues to be fresh after three seasons. Hader and co. should be applauded.

5. Severance
What a ride this show was. I'm a big fan of pretty much the entire case and the story was something that was familiar, yet entirely unique. A really fun mindfuck that had a riveting last couple of episodes. Can't wait to see what happens next.

4. Better Call Saul
I can't believe a spinoff of Breaking Bad starring the slimy jerkwad lawyer actually worked, and not only worked, did something really special. And in it's final season, it actually stuck the landing. Breaking Bad had a great ending, if not a little neat and tidy, but the end of this season was close to perfect. Bravo Vince Gilligan and co.

3. Atlanta
The show is undeniable. Unlike anything else on TV. The wait was worth it. Did I love 100% of the choices that were made? No. Is Glover starting to veer a little too Kanye for my liking? Maybe. But I'm so grateful for this creation and I'm glad for every minute he gave us.

2. The Rehearsal
Nathan Fielder is genius and I continue to be fascinated and amazed by him. I was really looking forward to this after being such a long time fan of Nathan For You and this show didn't disaappoint. Can't wait to see what he does next.

1. The Bear
What a refreshing tour de force this show was. Jeremy Allen White continues to be amazing, but the rest of the cast where really special too. FX continues to produce so absolute gems.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Am I gonna pretend likes it's the flawless second coming of The Wire? No.

But Animal Kingdom stayed consistent throughout and I loved it. Ellen Barkin killed it, I find Finn Cole endlessly watchable and Shawn Hatosy's performance was genuinely compelling.

If you don't think overly hard about the long term multi-season storytelling arcs and just focus on the season length ones you'll enjoy some fun heists, a cool setting and compelling performances.

I know a lot of people thought the show would lose its way after the major season 4 death but it was fun watching the fallout/change in dynamics and the flashback storyline was strangely compelling.

PS I also really want their house

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 17, 2023

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I forgot to put Snowfall into my honourable mentions so I'd like to shout it out here. Man, it's crazy how much that show has changed over the years and I'm kind of pumped for the new/final season.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Polls up to this point have been tallied

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
:siren:I'm not going to be able to do the reveal until next week - currently pencilled in either the 1st or the 2nd so I'll leave the poll open until the 11:59PM on the 28th:siren:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Having thought more about this year's TV, I would swap Andor into my 1 spot. I can't stop thinking about it. Better Call Saul is/was amazing but I really think based on just what aired this year, I got it wrong and Andor was #1.

So if you want to make this official you can - just change your list and post again in the thread or PM me.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
To Do List:
Collate Ballots
Calculate Results
Source Artwork
Edit and Upload Artwork
Source Quotes
Type up 100-30
Type up 30-1

We're on schedule for the results to go live from :siren:7PM Pacific/10PM Eastern on Thursday the 2nd:siren:. This is reliant on nothing urgent popping up at work as I'll be doing all this on the clock on Friday afternoon my time.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
:siren:Here are the results for 30 onwards - See you 3-ish hours for the rest of it:siren:

107=. (1 Point)
A League of Their Own (Amazon)
A Million Little Things (ABC)
Alone (History)
Dimension 20: A Starstruck Odyssey (Web)
Evil (CBS)
Gaslit (Starz)
Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities (Netflix)
High School (Freevee)
Moon Knight (Disney+)
Rings of Power (Amazon)
Shoresy (Crave)
SpyXFamily (TX Network)
The Amazing Race (CBS)
Um, Actually (Web)
Winning Time (HBO)

98=. (2 Points)
Inside No. 9 (BBC Two)
Interview with a Vampire (AMC)
Los Espookys (HBO)
Moonhaven (AMC+)
Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO)
Riverdale (CW)
Tokyo Vice (HBO Max)
Undone (Amazon)
Wednesday (Netflix)

87=. (3 Points)
Attack on Titan (Adult Swim)
Cobra Kai (Youtube)
Fleishman is in Trouble (FX)
I Hate Suzie (Sky Atlantic)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Tokyo MX)
Love, Death and Robots (Netflix)
Reboot (Hulu)
The Legend of Vox Machina (Amazon)
The Old Man (FX)
The Traitors (Peacock)
WeCrashed (Apple TV+)

80=. (4 Points)
Alice in Borderland (Netflix)
For All Mankind (Apple TV+)
Industry (BBC Two)
The Dropout (Hulu)
The Good Fight (Paramount+)
The Peripheral (Amazon)
Westworld (HBO)

72=. (5 Points)
AEW Dynamite (TNT)
Archive 81 (Netflix)
Beavis and Butt-Head (Paramount+)
Heartstopper (Netflix)
Irma Vepp (HBO)
Last Week Tonight (HBO)
Light & Magic (Disney+)
Players (Paramount+)

65=. (6 Points)
Black Bird (Apple TV+)
Enjoy Wrestling (Web)
On Cinema (Web)
Ranking of Kings (Fuji TV)
The Righteous Gemstones (HBO)
The Walking Dead (AMC)
ZIWE (Showtime)

54=. (7 Points)
1883 (Paramount+)
Blockbuster (Netflix)
Chucky (USA)
Game Changer (Netflix)
Murderville (Netflix)
Mystery Road: Origin (ABC (Australia))
Mythic Quest (Apple TV+)
P-Valley (Starz)
RuPaul's Drag Race (Logo TV)
Somebody Somewhere (HBO)
Survivor (CBS)

48=. (8 Points)
His Dark Materials (HBO)
Jack Ryan (Amazon)
Let The Right One In (Showtime)
Mob Psycho 100 (Tokyo MX)
Reacher (Amazon)
The Owl House (Disney+)

43=. (9 Points)
Babylon Berlin (Sky 1 Germany)
Bad Sisters (Apple TV+)
Bel Air (Peacock)
Cyberpunk: Edgerunners (Netflix)
The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey (Apple TV+)

35=. (10 Points)
Abbott Elementary (ABC)
All of Us Are Dead (Netflix)
Defunctland (Web)
Pantheon (AMC+)
Raised by Wolves (HBO Max)
The Resort (Peacock)
Welcome to Wrexham (FX)
Yellowjackets (Showtime)

32=. (11 Points)
Harley Quinn (DC Universe)
Slow Horses (Apple TV+)
What We Do In The Shadows (FX)

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 3, 2023

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm not trying to discount any of the hard work and time this must take you, but did you mean to duplicate those two groups?

I did not, and I've fixed it cheers.
The 54th placed shows were as follows:
1883 (Paramount+)
Blockbuster (Netflix)
Chucky (USA)
Game Changer (Netflix)
Murderville (Netflix)
Mystery Road: Origin (ABC (Australia))
Mythic Quest (Apple TV+)
P-Valley (Starz)
RuPaul's Drag Race (Logo TV)
Somebody Somewhere (HBO)
Survivor (CBS)

And the 35th place shows were as follows:
Abbott Elementary (ABC)
All of Us Are Dead (Netflix)
Defunctland (Web)
Pantheon (AMC+)
Raised by Wolves (HBO Max)
The Resort (Peacock)
Welcome to Wrexham (FX)
Yellowjackets (Showtime)

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 3, 2023

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Some of the normal awards belong in that list. Please put your hands together for the following award winners:

:toot:Best Network Show: Abbott Elementary:toot:
:toot:Biggest Faller: Cobra Kai (Down 69):toot:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
:siren:Yeah Alright. Lets Do This:siren:

Welcome to the 2023 TVIV Top 10 Poll for the 2022 calendar year. Thank you all for your submissions (if something piques your interest, i encourage you all to go back and read the nominations in full as there are some fantastic observations and summaries that our users have submitted) and thanks for your patience while I tallied the results.

There were some big retiring giants in 2021 so 2022 was always going to be interesting. With the streaming landscape ever expanding, but at the same time, self-imploding it was bound to lead to some interesting results.

Could the old guard of Showtime and AMC find themselves a hit in 2022?
Is HBO still the king of prestige TV?
Has Netflix managed to stave off the streaming competition?
Will AppleTV+ continue it's impressive rise?
Is Network TV even relevant anymore?

All these answers and more, will be answered soon!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Some interesting results so far in the 30 onwards count.
    Some really quality TV. A League of Their Own equal last?
    Tokyo Vice, Reboot (RIP), Fleishman is in Trouble, Industry, Mythic Quest, Black Bird are all personally recommended and could have made my top 10 ballot.
    Goon favourite, What we do in the Shadows, finally takes a drop and is no longer part of the official countdown
    Slow Horses and Yellowjackets were stiff to miss out (Yellowjackets suffered from 2021/2 crossover. Check out last years poll if you'd like to read more about it)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
As is tradition, we start with a tie! This time a four way tie!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

timp posted:

The second season feels more sophisticated than the first, and although the end gave me some whiplash, the journey was incredible.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Tartatovsky continues to be the best, enough said

28. Primal (Adult Swim)
RE-ENTRY
12 Points, 2 Nominations
:toot:Best Animation:toot:

Ishamael posted:

The beginning of the season was a bit clunky as they moved the pieces into place, but a series of fun misdirects and interesting twists brought it all around for a satisfying conclusion.
"

BetterLekNextTime posted:

An absurdist mystery show with a lot of twists and turns that just nails it most of the time.

28. Only Murders in the Building (Netflix)
DOWN 22 SPOTS
12 Points, 4 Nominations

Achillesforever6 posted:

Feel the show did a good job with the depiction of Muslim American life and also always good to point out how evil the British Empire was.

Oasx posted:

The feel-good show of the year. Iman Vellani is the best Marvel casting since Robert Downey JR.

28. Ms. Marvel (Disney+)
NEW ENTRY
12 Points, 3 Nominations

cryptoclastic posted:

The mysteries are wonky and fun as hell. If they don’t get answered I won’t be too upset. The ride itself is fun enough.

bagrada posted:

It's all I ask for in a Lost type show. Lots of weird stuff happening, a good cast, suspenseful episodes.

28. From (Epix)
NEW ENTRY
12 Points, 2 Nominations

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Next up, we have another 4 way tie.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shneak posted:

I was invested until the very end. This was the most fun I had watching TV in 2022.

Leatherhead posted:

A nice mix of rootable and hateable cast, and an early episode that made my entire body clench in disbelief.

24. The Mole (Netflix)
NEW ENTRY
14 Points, 2 Nominations, #1 Spot 1 Time

CeeJee posted:

Gorgeous, horrifying and captivating this was something to sit back, let it wash over you and don't think too much on what is actually happening.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Love the way it holds all its cards close to its chest and makes even costuming choices end up being relevant to the narrative. Really gut wrenching when it wants to be.

24. The English (Amazon)
NEW ENTRY
14 Points, 3 Nominations

Chairman Capone posted:

Absolutely stunning, and extremely engrossing for a nonfiction quasi-documentary on prehistoric wildlife. What more needs to be said?

Oasx posted:

It's just nice seeing dinosaurs depicted well, that isn't an awful disaster movie.

24. Prehistoric Planet (Apple TV+)
NEW ENTRY
14 Points, 4 Nominations

CeeJee posted:

A fitting end to a lovely show, ending with the end of the terrible conflict. Consistently funny and charming.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Between the 90s setting, constant shenanigans, comedy and fab 90s soundtrack I’m sad to see this go.

24. Derry Girls (Channel 4)
RE-ENTRY
14 Points, 3 Nominations

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shneak posted:

Honestly I love how they just completely bent genres and said “gently caress it” for their final season.

cant cook creole bream posted:

In it's final season this show does what it always did and pulls the rug away from under you. I assumed that would happen, but I was genuinely surprised and amazed where it went.

23. Search Party (TBS)
UP 16 SPOTS
16 Points, 2 Nominations

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 3, 2023

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Problematic Pigeon posted:

The Boys continues to occupy the narrow central zone of a Venn diagram comprised of sharp satire of corporate entertainment, exploration of toxic masculinity, and extreme cartoon violence. When it nails all three, as it did this past season, it's thrilling, thought-provoking, and wildly funny.

Jerusalem posted:

While there's plenty of sex and violence, what makes the show work beyond even the delightful parody of the superhero genre, celebrity culture, and exploration of the impact (and exploitation) of society, is the strong character work and excellent acting.

22. The Boys (Amazon)
RE-ENTRY
19 Points, 5 Nominations

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 3, 2023

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DarklyDreaming posted:

Funny and thought provoking in equal measure

Alhazred posted:

I didn't have high hopes with this one. But then it turned out to be a really heartwarming queer drama where people sometimes got brutally killed.

21. Our Flag Means Death (HBO Max)
NEW ENTRY
21 Points, 5 Nominations

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I could have sworn that was a 2021 show, it feels like it aired forever ago. Apparantly not!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Next we have another two way tie:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

Rashomon style Murder mystery comedy with genre switches for the stories. What is not to love.

A really clever and entertaining show that's a murder mystery, but also a comedy.

Pillowpants posted:

This did the Murder Mystery/Comedy combo a lot better than anything else I’ve seen -so much so that I marathoned the show during an all nightery.

19. The Afterparty (Apple TV+)
NEW ENTRY
22 Points, 6 Nominations

Mrbuddylee posted:

Consistently entertaining, lighthearted and feel-good. I teach kids frustration tolerance by having them watch this show with their parents.

fancy stats posted:

I will never tire of watching comedians making asses of themselves/occasionally being absolute legends.

TelevisedInsanity posted:

It celebrates all the many forms of comedy and art, from improv to slapstick to sketch to musical, that one season still delivers "something for everybody" and is still continuing to change and evolve

19. Taskmaster (UK) (Dave)
UP 25 SPOTS
22 Points, 4 Nominations
:toot:Highest Climber:toot:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

It's fun, it's utopian, and it's very Star Trek.

It's pure joy -- fun, optimistic, hopeful, feel-good entertainment about the smartest, bravest, kindest, most heroic people doing their best and being their best.

King Burgundy posted:

If for some reason you've put off watching this because of some of the other newer Trek disappointed you, you should definitely rethink that.

18. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Paramount+)
NEW ENTRY
23 Points, 5 Nominations

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Pan Dulce posted:

The situations are stressful, sometimes unfair, and heartbreaking, but funny and healing sometimes too

Mrbuddylee posted:

"Better play it safe and skip the public health system" says it all.

Oasx posted:

Nothing this year affected me as much as the events of this show

17. This Is Going to Hurt (AMC+)
NEW ENTRY
24 Points, 4 Nominations, #1 Spot 1 Time
:toot:Best Overseas Show:toot:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Might have to check that one out!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
We have another tie:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shneak posted:

I love the anthology concept and its potential with the number of locations and themes.

I enjoyed the shift from class issues to relationship issues and jealousy and honesty because it kept things fresh.

timp posted:

A sad and sexy show. This is one of the most confident shows I’ve ever seen; it’s just so comfortable in its own skin.

15. The White Lotus (HBO)
DOWN 1 SPOT
32 Points, 6 Nominations

Andrew_1985 posted:

I enjoyed seeing a post-apocalyptic world that wasn’t walker dominated.

fancy stats posted:

Just an extremely beautiful story about people finding purpose and community in the face of societal collapse. A welcome breath of fresh air when everything else is just prepper fantasies.

Chairman Capone posted:

A series about surviving a pandemic but having to leave the city, deal with relationships and people left behind while making new connections, building a new future while coming to terms with the grasp of the past - the show obviously still hits very hard to me

15. Station Eleven (HBO Max)
DOWN 13 SPOTS
32 Points, 4 Nominations, #1 Spot 1 Time

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Massive effort from Station Eleven. Suffered from both; airing so early in the year, a victim of being recognised so well in the previous poll.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Raspberry Bang posted:

ACAB am I right? Another great story from David Simon.

Jerusalem posted:

This is all real. This all actually happened. I had to keep reminding myself of that as I watched this show, jaw often agape.

Leatherhead posted:

A grim reminder that watching 'The Wire' didn't actually fix any of the problems. There's a lot to love about the acting and craftsmanship here, but above all else this is one of the most meticulous dissections of just how wholly the institution of American police-work has failed.

14. We Own This City (HBO)
NEW ENTRY
37 Points, 8 Nominations
:toot:Best Limited Series:toot:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Because it showed that Marvel's not above making fun of themselves and sometimes experiment a little. That should be encouraged.

King Burgundy posted:

Exactly what I wanted from this show and more. Marvel Legal Comedy with fourth wall breaking and social commentary.

Achillesforever6 posted:

Taking the MCU in a different direction and having a lot of fun with it while being really true to the She-Hulk comics. Also anything that pisses off incel nerds is good by my book.

13. She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Disney+)
NEW ENTRY
43 Points, 8 Nominations, #1 Spot 1 Time

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Pan Dulce posted:

Tell me where on the doll's heart D&D hurt you? Then watch this show and have it healed!

Open Source Idiom posted:

A friend called this "feminist medieval horror" and it definitely starts out that way, before morphing into a tragedy punctuated by bleak, satirical jokes.

This show didn't suffer from having to tell too many stories and tie them together, and, as a result, it got to tell a more intimate GoT tale in superb detail.

12. House of the Dragon (HBO)
NEW ENTRY
46 Points, 7 Nominations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

2022 was a season of comebacks and Stranger Things is back, baby! I was never really that down on this show, but drat, this season was as good as anything this show has done.

Ishamael posted:

They created one of the most exciting and bingeable series of the year.

Shneak posted:

It’s hard to deny the sheer appeal of Stranger Things—and this was their strongest season yet.

11. Stranger Things (Netflix)
RE-ENTRY
54 Points, 8 Nominations, #1 Spot 1 Time
:toot:Best on Netflix:toot: