Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
It’s currently 18 F and is going to be 15 F by 7AM here in SATX. Obviously it doesn’t compare to -50 but for Texas this is loving insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Idiot Kicker posted:

The local media in Portland were preparing us for an epic battle with every Norse god but there's just a thin layer of frost

The wind chill is 4° though which is pretty low

Amazon just shut down one of their grocery warehouses in Seattle for all of the 23rd due to, "an expected severe weather event". Not sure if that applies to other general freight warehouses but if Fresh is getting rolled up everyone else must be taking precautionary measures. All I can think of is the Imperial Death Star sized BFI4 warehouse in Kent Valley which has been eating snow crap for the last week and they're probably about to get iced literally. I hope they get a break too.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Only light dusting of snow, but the wind is going NUTS. Currently 34 MPH Sustained Winds, ??? Gusts and absolutely terrifying howling outside.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

News is saying it's the first official blizzard in over 40 years.

Work emailed and said "good luck driving in, we're open!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

wilderthanmild posted:

Only light dusting of snow, but the wind is going NUTS. Currently 34 MPH Sustained Winds, ??? Gusts and absolutely terrifying howling outside.

We got maybe an inch or two of snow but it is also shockingly cold with bonkers wind.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

satanic splash-back posted:

News is saying it's the first official blizzard in over 40 years.

Work emailed and said "good luck driving in, we're open!"

“Good luck opening, we’re not driving in!”

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Buffalo NY goon checking in, here is our forecast:

- 70 mph wind gusts
- 1-3 feet of snow
- Blizzard conditions for 30 hours .... THIRTY
- Dropping from 40 degrees to 13 in the span of a few hours after it poured rain for the last 12

The pouring rain just switched over to horizontal snow and the wind is howling. This is fun!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Isnt that just Buffalo though?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

:thunk:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Also snow seems good and cool but then its the middle of February and all the snow that fell a month ago is still around but blackened from car exhaust and it also blinds you if the sun dares to show itself if you don't wear sunglasses and if you have too much snow it can and will gently caress up roofs and power lines and you have to deal with salt dumped on roads to get rid of the snow which also rots out cars unless you also go get that poo poo washed every other day and snow just sucks rear end

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Also the first couple times you shovel snow it's nice. Almost like a workout. But by the 10th time you're shoveling snow for the season and there's 8 inches on the ground and you got another 8 on the way, you start to really hate the poo poo.

For some reason I still insist on never moving somewhere that doesn't have regular snow, because I am a moron.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

No weather but it's like 18 degrees in Albuquerque right now.

There was a deep freeze one night a decade+ ago here where somehow Albuquerque became the coldest place in the entire country, including Alaska, for an hour and the temp dropped to -16 without warning. My dad's house has a well. So do all the other houses in that neighborhood. My dad was in Alaska working at the time.

I woke up and my brother was making margaritas in the kitchen and I was like man we gotta go to school wtf I gotta take a shower like right now I have like 3 tests today, and then he handed me a margarita and said, "all the schools are closed because their pipes blew, and you're not taking a shower because we don't have running water." We were the last ones to call the pump guys so we didn't have water for like 4 days lol, I had to drive like 8 miles to my mom's house to take a poo poo or shower.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Also it loving owns(no it doesn't) that the first thing heard out of your 68+ year old dad when the wind roars and the snow falls doing wellness checks regarding winter weather is how white people are being deliberately outbred by illegal immigrants as a long con conspiracy theory :thumbsup:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It's rear end-cold here, but this meme keeps me going.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Poohs Packin posted:

Isnt that just Buffalo though?

Yep! Buffalo is getting it worse due to Lake Erie : you have this combo of lake effect snow AND the fact that there isn't anything to slow down the wind over open water.

It's basically hurricane snow right now.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

WalletBeef posted:

Yep! Buffalo is getting it worse due to Lake Erie : you have this combo of lake effect snow AND the fact that there isn't anything to slow down the wind over open water.

It's basically hurricane snow right now.

:owned:

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

I'm working from home and actually love this .... but I'm sure that will change if we lose power .

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Winter Storm Elliott IRL:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Post blizzard pics:

Weird wind sculpts on the porch. This is all pure snow, not covering furniture like my friend thought:

There are two benches and a bird feeder in this pic.

It's hard to get the scale, but the drift by the dog is 9-10 feet.

I can't tell the wind because our weather station's frozen, but it looks like it's a little warmer today!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Das Boo posted:

Post blizzard pics:

Weird wind sculpts on the porch. This is all pure snow, not covering furniture like my friend thought:

that's a wild-rear end sculpt, it was so drat cold that it made a ramp lol

presumably to do a kickflip off while it was dunking on everyone

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
It's 8c/47f and raining on & off here in New York City. That's normal, right?

Das Boo posted:

Lolololol

:stare: What does -53 even feel like? I would think that below -30 -- in Celsius OR Fahrenheit -- you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Anyway, the snowy wintry pics in this thread are beautiful. :allears:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

wilderthanmild posted:

I live on a hilltop in Wales, 34 MPH wind with gusts at 70+ is most winter storms. You get used to it and just stay indoors.

Of course it's normally well above freezing and just smashing rain and the occasional hail, because Britain is a largely benign island. Blizzard will be a very different experience.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it's beautiful outside today.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Das Boo posted:

Post blizzard pics:

Cool sculpture but I am very triggered by the uncovered water spigot. Do you like frozen pipes? THAT IS HOW YOU GET FROZEN PIPES!

Also your home is very lovely.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Fabulousity posted:

Cool sculpture but I am very triggered by the uncovered water spigot. Do you like frozen pipes? THAT IS HOW YOU GET FROZEN PIPES!

Also your home is very lovely.

I assume they are winterized. Basically a spigot like that shouldn't have any water in it or the supply line running to it. Typically a cover alone won't save it when things are really cold.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
A ton of flights got cancelled.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I went outside for about 30 minutes brushing snow off poo poo and it surprisingly wasn't that bad even with the tree-rattling winds

Only registered members can see post attachments!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Animal-Mother posted:

A ton of flights got cancelled.

Sure have. My job is a hell of a lot easier today because of the weather.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I just moved up to north georgia from miami and my wife is super worried about the cold like it's a hurricane, telling me to not take too long on dog walks. it's -7f - pretty brisk, but not like instant death terriroty. neither me or the dogs want to be outside longer than absolutely necessary.

The sun is shining and it's beautiful out though, it's kind of weird stepping out into it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Storm started hitting here about an hour ago so I started drinking early

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

My flight from MSP is late but not cancelled
Suck it Elliot

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
It went from drizzly to rainy to snowy to just grey in like 20 minutes

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

the climate's always changed, don't worry about it

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

wilderthanmild posted:

Also the first couple times you shovel snow it's nice. Almost like a workout.

Old people die shoveling snow all the time.

YeahTubaMike posted:

It's 8c/47f and raining on & off here in New York City. That's normal, right?

:stare: What does -53 even feel like? I would think that below -30 -- in Celsius OR Fahrenheit -- you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

It is very painful. Any exposed skin hurts immediately upon walking outside. You can literally get frostbite in minutes. It really is the wind that's the worst. I'd take 0F with zero wind over 20F with a heavy wind.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I actually just got home from making a run out, here in Green Bay.
As of current, it's Cold (about -3 before the wind chill), but it's actually not that bad out there.
Wouldn't want to go camping or down to the Manitowoc pier to hang out for a few hours, but this was better than anticipated

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I should note though that this year I bought myself a Carhartt vtao 169 coat and a pair of their storm defender gloves. Both of which loving rock as anyone who buys any Carhartt crap could probably guess

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Big Beef City posted:

I should note though that this year I bought myself a Carhartt vtao 169 coat and a pair of their storm defender gloves. Both of which loving rock as anyone who buys any Carhartt crap could probably guess

Down filling or?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Layers, binch

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

nom epique posted:

Down filling or?

No but it's rated equally to them on the website plus this is less puffy and rainproof.
I liked that more than a down.
The last Carhartt coat I had that I lost in a move was down but also pretty bulky

https://www.carhartt.com/Categories.../105002-205LREG

It looks thin but still rated for warmth at 4/5

https://www.carhartt.com/Categories/Accessories/Gloves/Insulated-Gloves/Pipeline-Insulated-Glove/p/800226-003M

And those are the gloves, which have separate removable wearable liners AND a nose wipe BUILT IN

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Old people die shoveling snow all the time.

Yeah, because anything more than like an inch is on par with a fairly intense workout, which most people, especially older people, aren't ready for. I live in Cleveland and have been told pretty much my whole life to either buy a snow blower or hire someone to shovel/plow by your mid 40s because some stupidly high number of men die of heart attacks shoveling every year.