Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah, because anything more than like an inch is on par with a fairly intense workout, which most people, especially older people, aren't ready for. I live in Cleveland and have been told pretty much my whole life to either buy a snow blower or hire someone to shovel/plow by your mid 40s because some stupidly high number of men die of heart attacks shoveling every year.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

It’s currently 18 F and is going to be 15 F by 7AM here in SATX. Obviously it doesn’t compare to -50 but for Texas this is loving insane.

Same from Myrtle Beach.

Good. Christmas should be cold :colbert:

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

There's a guy I know who was on the Pegasus when she crash landed at McMurdo Station back in the '70's. He talked about having to build a fort out of baggage to keep the blizzard and wind off till rescue vehicles finally found them. It's 30 degrees colder in southern Indiana than it was on Ross Island when the Pegasus sheered its wing off on a snowdrift.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I'm so glad I bought an extremely warm and long puffy coat for my vacation back to TN. I just had a feeling I would need it. Got it for a good price too probably because no one in Southern California needs it. Staying comfy

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I shot the snow on my porch with a pistol. It never came back. If yall would stop being Pussies and take care of it yall wouldn't have this problem but yall not ready for that conversation. 👏👏👏

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Big Beef City posted:

AND a nose wipe BUILT IN

Please explain this. I'm interested.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

my balls froze clean off and shattered on the tile floor.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

flubber nuts posted:

my balls froze clean off and shattered on the tile floor.

I stepped on the shards and now my feet are ruined and I can't walk because of tge frozen ball splinters

monkay
Aug 5, 2012

The official sad poster
Flew out from MN to Mexico they day before the blizzard hit. Enjoy the snow, pendejos :clint:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Please explain this. I'm interested.

It's just like a soft brushed faux leather strip built into the top of the index fingers.
It's... Not really something I plan to use, lol, I just think it's funny it's tauted as a feature.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
In Vermont, I scheduled a day of PTO for long overdue errands last Friday. Stuff like final gift purchases, car maintenance, general supplies like cat food. Under any normal weather and circumstances, 3-4 hours and some much needed away from the house decompression.

Friday was when we had a N'oreaster and had to stay home to watch my kid. And deal with that exhausting stupid heavy snow.

Was able to reschedule for Tuesday. That's when I picked up whatever loving respiratory virus my kid had on Sunday. Besides spending half the day watching over him I was in rough shape myself. I couldn't have done them even if he was in school.

Today, TODAY. Was miraculously able to reschedule car maintenance a third time. IM GOING.

Leaving home coincided with the night of hellish wind finally dying down and the rain. The sun was out! loving rainbows!

Driving north on Route 7 looked like a war zone with so much downed trees and crap in the road. Turned on the radio to hear them live televising the state telling everyone that the wind was a nightmare, people may not have power until Sunday (Christmas) but worst of all, the incredible dip in temperatures were going to transform the 7 hours of above freezing weather into ice coated roads. GET OFF THE ROADS BY 4PM.

I heeded that and was able to finally finish up my errands! Took a nap in the chair. Satisfied that I was in for the night.

Then at 4 loving o clock I get a text from my sister. My parents have been without power since 5am. So no heat. My father is under hospice care. Either they call the ambulance or we get them a heating source or generator.

My parents have a generator they have not serviced in over 12 years and of course won't start. My sister does. My BIL, one of his employees, and my niece drive 20 miles away to setup theirs and get my mother's pellet stove and fridge going. Come up with a game plan for me to refuel tomorrow since I'm only 7 miles away.

I drive back home in one of the worst snow storms I've ever driven in. Full gale toward you. High beams useless. The road I rarely drive below 50 MPH, I only hit 35 twice, mostly driving 20. Made it home safely drenched in sweat.

gently caress this poo poo.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I shot the snow on my porch with a pistol. It never came back. If yall would stop being Pussies and take care of it yall wouldn't have this problem but yall not ready for that conversation. 👏👏👏

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbnz1rRE6sE&t=159s

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

YeahTubaMike posted:

It went from drizzly to rainy to snowy to just grey in like 20 minutes

Same. Watching how fast the temp is dropping is pretty wild. Four degrees in the last 15 minutes. 26F here though so still balmy compared to some of y’all.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Big Beef City posted:

No but it's rated equally to them on the website plus this is less puffy and rainproof.
I liked that more than a down.
The last Carhartt coat I had that I lost in a move was down but also pretty bulky

https://www.carhartt.com/Categories.../105002-205LREG

It looks thin but still rated for warmth at 4/5

https://www.carhartt.com/Categories/Accessories/Gloves/Insulated-Gloves/Pipeline-Insulated-Glove/p/800226-003M

And those are the gloves, which have separate removable wearable liners AND a nose wipe BUILT IN

That’s a nice coat. I splurged on this one from LL Bean last year and it’s easily the warmest jacket I’ve ever owned.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/121491?page=mens-mountain-classic-down-parka-mens-regular&bc=516567-593-506673&feat=506673-GN3&csp=f&pos=10

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

That looks super warm.
I just didn't want something that puffed up again.
I like that tho

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have a warmer coat but it's basically a ski jacket so it's a bit over the top for this area. The one I wear now is a much more stylish fleece lined leather Tommy Hilfiger that is still extremely warm but I'd like something to cover my neck better. I only got that jacket because a Burlington Coat Factory opened up and they had a massive sale. I got that coat for like <$50. It was probably over $100-200 at the very least.

I have like 10 coats. One for each type of weather. But I always end up wearing the same couple year round.

edit: it's difficult to find old coats online but maybe this one wasn't that expensive. Maybe around $100.

edit 2: it's sort of like this. This one is listed at $275 but I don't think mine would be that much.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 24, 2022

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have like 10 coats. One for each type of weather. But I always end up wearing the same couple year round.

This also becomes a thing.
Ugh.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I have a Sherpa-lined zip-up hoodie that I bought at kohls at least ten years ago and I still wear it. Nothing fancy or special about it, I just like it :shrug:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

my dad bought me a Duluth firehose jacket for xmas like 5-6 years ago and I really like it, but it rarely gets cold enough in central NM during the winter for me to wear anything other than hoodies for the most part

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

monkay posted:

Flew out from MN to Mexico they day before the blizzard hit. Enjoy the snow, pendejos :clint:

My sister’s friend is in Vegas right now and was supposed to fly here to Tucson to visit us before heading back home to Austin, and her flight was canceled because of the storm even though none of the stops are affected.

At least she got put up in a nice hotel for the night (or two).

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
For some strange reason I had the desire to put on The Thing. I mean, that's normal because it's a great movie, but the weather made me think of it.

The WI energy company sent out a message just tonight saying that everyone should turn their thermostats down to 60-62 because there could be a natural gas shortage very soon.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It's cold as poo poo! Ask anyone if I care though, the answer might surprise you, PSYKE!!!!!!!! I don't!!!!!!!

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I live in texas. The inside of my refrigerator is warmer than my living room. I'm currently attached to my $15 heating pad I bought for an unrelated reason (cubital tunnel syndrome) so I won't freeze. I'm also sick with a uti too. Just not feeling it this Christmas.

god please help me fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 24, 2022

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The wind was really bad last night and we got a massive thunderstorm that shook the house but no snow so that was cool

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

acejackson42 posted:

Got down to -62 C with the windchill in beautiful Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan last night, and I had to boost my car in it.

There's no explaining what it's like to walk maybe 50 feet from your office to your car and lose all feeling in your hands despite wearing mitts and then have to fumble around with a booster pack, even for five minutes.

The cold is bad, the pain later on is ungodly.

Jesus Christ. I'm not American or Canadian, I'm Norwegian, and while the stereotype is that it's really cold here, it's not really true compared to over in NA, which I really experienced when I lived for a little while in Saskatoon of all places. The week I arrived I want to say the average was about -40 C (it got a bit better after that, but winter still averaged really loving cold, though also really dry, so it could have been worse) and Jesus Christ, that's something, I can only really describe it as feeling like what dying must be like.

And -62, holy loving poo poo.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Almost all the windows are still 100% frosted up and I think that's kinda neat imo

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Norway is arctic but still basically maritime. Continental is a different type of hellwinter.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

goatface posted:

Norway is arctic but still basically maritime. Continental is a different type of hellwinter.

Most of Norway, where the people live, is below the arctic circle. Though even there there is a difference between the coast, particularly the west coast, and the inlands.

At the time when I went to Saskatoon, I had lived in Bergen in Western Norway, where there's rarely snow or much below -5 C or so (though of course there will be exceptions), but winters are wet and miserable. I was not at all prepared for what Saskatoon ended up being like, though I had lived inland in the south east as well, where winters are regularly -10 to -20, with lots of snow. Still, poo poo gets into an entirely new category of hell when you get to to the -30s and -40s and below.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
Here in Atlanta the temp dropped pretty suddenly yesterday and caused a major water pipe in our building to burst, so the fire alarms were going off last night and driving us nuts. First juuuuust as we sat down and took our first bite of dinner around 8PM. Had to scoop our 3 guineapigs into their carrier and go sit in the car with them so they didn't self destruct from noise stress. It stopped after a half hour, microwave dinner, do normal stuff, go to bed, alarm starts going off again at 5AM.

Signs in the hallway say to avoid the 1st floor if you don't live there because the sprinklers went off and the water froze . woo

Its like 5 degrees outside and my stupid husband is going out to do a raid on Pokemon Go

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That does sound like a stupid husband

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Professor Shark posted:

That does sound like a stupid husband

Update: he's wearing gloves, a face covering, his warmest coat, and his pajama pants and sneakers.

If he dies I'm letting the guineapigs eat his trading cards

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

Pasketti posted:

Update: he's wearing gloves, a face covering, his warmest coat, and his pajama pants and sneakers.

If he dies I'm letting the guineapigs eat his trading cards

Dump the cards outside then :sever:

Your partner needs to get their head straight.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Pokemon go to a hotel

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
lol

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Evening sportscaster for local Iowa news has to fill in as an early morning reporter covering the blizzard, and the salt from this dude can clear the roadways.

https://twitter.com/MarkWoodleyTV/status/1605961457337712640?s=20

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
9F here in Georgia. The water from the faucets is very cold, and I did not consider this when firing my bidet into my bung.

I am very awake now.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Same. Watching how fast the temp is dropping is pretty wild. Four degrees in the last 15 minutes. 26F here though so still balmy compared to some of y’all.

Yeah, after it went grey, it got sunny and the temperature absolutely plummeted. It went from like 6c/43f to -11c/12f in less than an hour, and it's still -11 now.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

It owns when there's a big snowstorm and the snow sticks around and then the sun comes out and its not enough to melt the snow and you go blind :coolfish:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

spray paint the snow black so it absorbs more heat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

In Florida it is getting down to the 30s. That's when the bog spectres come out.