Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
A because if you want to see the beauty of Anbennar you gotta go all in with some crazy artificer/wizard poo poo, and this is the most a/ws of the options we have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

JosefStalinator posted:

B I don't think non-Abennar folks realize that Rogieria is the nation of mandatory orc-GF's and state sponsored miscegenation, the truly most glorious state, and can either go for becoming Emperor of Anbennar or unite all of Escann as Castanor.

You get a permanent super dynasty founded by a super badass who is also the descendant of Luthane Bluetusk (the orc leader) and one of the few who didn't sell out his family. Is it also canon that he may be the child of Corin through Lothane as well?

Unless Rogieria also does it, that's Grombar.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Imho all the nations I put in the poll would be fun. I've played them all at least a little bit before, with Esthil and Elikhand being the ones I have the most experience with. Actually, I've never done Blademarch before. I did play in a MP game where we were all different Dwarves and my friend decided to do Dwarven Blademarch instead of Hammerhome. It was a blast.

Edit: There was a plan to do a different path for Esthil, more Saruman-like, but I think it got abandonned. Sad, we could have had a vote on it!

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

JosefStalinator posted:

B I don't think non-Abennar folks realize that Rogieria is the nation of mandatory orc-GF's and state sponsored miscegenation, the truly most glorious state, and can either go for becoming Emperor of Anbennar or unite all of Escann as Castanor.

You get a permanent super dynasty founded by a super badass who is also the descendant of Luthane Bluetusk (the orc leader) and one of the few who didn't sell out his family. Is it also canon that he may be the child of Corin through Lothane as well?

This is also, to be fair, Grombar as well.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

G. Barumand is cool as hell, although I think Rogeria has a great narrative and would be a great option

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
The late game cool stuff with A is super fiddly/gamey and probably not great for a LP so lets go with F

Also submitting write-in vote for Corvuria (because Vampires, and their ability to stack -AE is really silly)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Imho all the nations I put in the poll would be fun. I've played them all at least a little bit before, with Esthil and Elikhand being the ones I have the most experience with. Actually, I've never done Blademarch before. I did play in a MP game where we were all different Dwarves and my friend decided to do Dwarven Blademarch instead of Hammerhome. It was a blast.

Edit: There was a plan to do a different path for Esthil, more Saruman-like, but I think it got abandonned. Sad, we could have had a vote on it!

My most recent game was Hammerhome and while it was cool the writing and MT design was a little bit dull.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Hellioning posted:

Unless Rogieria also does it, that's Grombar.

Ah you're right, Grombar does it more explicitly. That'd be fun too then :getin:

I think Rogieria just kind of encourages half-orc settlement and is headed by a half-orc, so it's still a similar vibe.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 24, 2022

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

G is for Orc

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

A :skeltal:

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
F, because I gotta have those Khets

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

A

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
B!

Arioch
Oct 6, 2018
A

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

A

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

A

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Gotta see those farming Orcs

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

JosefStalinator posted:

mandatory orc-GF's

Hell yeah hell yeah hell yeah

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
A

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

B!

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

A

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Thera re two ways to get MANDATORY ORC WAIFUS, and one way to get "The job of the Orcs is to protect the humans from the Elves and Harpies and Gnolls."

The first ways are Rogiera and Grombar. The other way is the hidden Black Orc formable, Karashar. And to talk about Karashar, we have to talk about the Old and New Sun Cult, or "The Elves Ruin Everything"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
A, Esthil. I love me some necromancy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fivemarks posted:

Thera re two ways to get MANDATORY ORC WAIFUS, and one way to get "The job of the Orcs is to protect the humans from the Elves and Harpies and Gnolls."

The first ways are Rogiera and Grombar. The other way is the hidden Black Orc formable, Karashar. And to talk about Karashar, we have to talk about the Old and New Sun Cult, or "The Elves Ruin Everything"

There are no gods but Surael and Jaddar is his prophet.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Actually it's Surakel you filthy elf-licker.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Voting B OR G for orc-waifus.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

C if we can chose to embrace the blood rather than oppose it.
A otherwise. The fine art of necromancy. "Get things just a tiny bit wrong and the spirits of the vengeful dead may enter your head via your ears and blow your brains out down your nose."

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I say G for Orcs

You can never go wrong with Orcs

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Just a reminder to orc lovers we could do Orc Blademarches too.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
maybe we could have an orc runoff

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

the greentide lives on itt

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
This mod seems very interesting. More so than the base game.

I wanted to vote for Dwarves so we could keep DIGGING DEEPER.

Since there are no Dwarven nations to choose form, I'm casting a hopeless vote for a Dwarven led Blademarches (E) so we can found our new Hold with our shiny sword (an axe would have been better).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MonsieurChoc posted:

This!

E of course!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Alright here's the results:

A. 17
B. 8
C. 2
D. 4
E. 2
F. 5
G. 19

So it looks like we're going with Barumand! Esthil put up a good fight though.

Gonna start working on that first megapost full of mechanics and the original country status.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Chapter 1: Heartgrinder
The Greentide might be over for the humans, but not for the surviving Orcs. Heartgrinder is the country we’re going to start as. Here’s what the wiki has to say about the history of Heartgrinder:

quote:

The Heartgrinder Clan is a clan of Green Orcs in South Castanor led by their Chieftain Ghûrad Heartgrinder, who was an advocate of a more peaceful way of conquest. Unlike other orc tribes, Ghûrad is one of the leaders to have survived Rottenstep, after which he gathered the remainder of his clan and let them south-east.

So, let’s look at the state of the Heartgrinder Clan in 1444!

First, our government. We’re a Clan, with the Greentide Horde reform. This gives us a bunch of powerful military bonuses, but also some hefty penalties including Reform progress.

We’re considered a Monstrous Nation, which gives us big diplomatic penalties but makes it easier to declare wars of conquest.

Our orcish administration gives us penalty to developing our provinces and to tech costs, which hurts a lot considering we’re starting behind on tech compared to the nearby adventurers. It gives us some nice money and military bonuses though, as well as liberty desire from our vassals. Maybe we should vassalize some of our neighbors?

Our orcish military gives so pretty great early game bonuses! Now the penalties with artillery, fortifications and sieges will hit hard in the midgame when everyone has canons and strong forts, but right now fortifications aren’t that strong and no one has artillery. We’re going to hit pretty hard.

Our ruler, Chieftain Ghûrad Heartgrinder, has decent stats (stats go from 0 to 6, a total of 6 being the average, but Anbennar has more ways than vanilla to get completely busted 6/6/6 rulers) and 2 positive and 1 negative trait. Scholar is especially good to have, as it negates the Orc Administration tech penalty.

Diplomatically, we don’t have a lot of options at the start. Adventurers will despise us due to our Monstrous Nation status, and the nearby orcs and goblins see us as rivals. So we rival them back. It’s not really a problem as it completes a Mission and we want to conquer them anyway.

We do manage to get an alliance going with the slightly farther away clan of Bladebreaker, who is one of the biggest orc clans in Escann AND is not in the southern Escann region we want to conquer. Hopefully we can maintain that alliance for a while.

Every Nation has a group of National Ideas. In Anbennar this also doubles as giving some interesting background info on the country through the flavor text. All escanni orc nations have the same ideas, and I’m not sure how far we’ll go before switching to Barumand.

Next, our Missions. Mission Trees are one of the biggest things in Anbennar, with huge amounts of writing and content locked being those. So let’s look at the missions currently available to us. Once again, these missions are shared by all Escanni Orc nations at the start of the game.

That’s a lot! But we can summarize as a couple points:
- Build an economy
- Build an army
- Establish some legitimacy to your state
- Crush your enemies

We’ll be doing all of that anyway as we aim to conquer most of the south of Escann in order to form Barumand. The various rewards for completing these missions will help a lot in this goal. I’ll show the rewards when I claim them.
Speaking of, here’s the decision to form Barumand:

As a comparison, here’s what’s needed if we wanted to form orc Blademarches instead:

Before I leave the Decisions submenu (so many submenus, this game is menus: the game), let’s take a look at an anbennar mechanic: racial tolerance. You can see how inclusive your country is thanks to this nifty tooltip. Every race has a rating from Oppressed to integrated. And right now, we’re oppressing everyone who isn’t an orc.

If we want more details, you can go into the menu to read up on all the different races, and from there you toggle Purge (genocide!), Expel (ethnic cleansing!) or Focus (makes event about the race trigger more frequently, which can help to purge/expel or help integrate depending on what you want). All those options have a cost though, they’re not free.

Next, Religion! We are followers of the Great Dookan faith, a faith with some pretty strong martial bonuses. While we’ll have to eventually abandon this religion for Barumand (we can switch faith to form Barumand earlier, and iirc we have to switch later in the MT anyway), we’re going to use these bonuses to conquer as much of the south as we can before forming Barumand. The way it works is that we have some basic bonuses, and we can spend Religious Power to gain temporary bonuses. Religious Power is a resource that is always ticking up, currently we gain 1.9 per month and the bonuses cost 50, 100 and 200 depending on how strong they are.

We have limited access to EU4 Vanilla native mechanics. We can’t form Federations (but Adventurers can!). We have tribal lands, but can only settler one province before we run out of tribal development and we currently don’t naturally generate any. We need to either build special buildings or attain government reforms to get tribal development generation. I chose Heartgrinder because it’s in a good location: we can easily attack our goblin and orc neighbors to steal their tribal lands to eventually settle, we start with wo provinces while the other southern orc clan (Deadfang) starts one, and we’re near Marrhold and Count’s League who don’t join Federations making them easier targets than most adventurers. This is still not gonna be super easy, the human countries start at tech 3 while we only have 2, and have the Feudalism Institution while we start without it. Gonna finish with a map of the surrounding region so you can see what we need ton conquer:

Next time, I finally unpause the game and start trying to do way too many things at once! Will I survive or rage restart already?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Really excited for this, Escann is a blast!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
:toot:

I love our big weird orc liberal chieftain. He just wants us all to get along, by force if necessary! :3:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
You know, in hindsight, I'm curious why this ended up as an EU4 mod rather than a CK3 mod. It feels like it's crying out for the more character-focused mechanics of CK3.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

You know, in hindsight, I'm curious why this ended up as an EU4 mod rather than a CK3 mod. It feels like it's crying out for the more character-focused mechanics of CK3.

A) Anbennar came out long before CK3, B) this timeframe for Anbennar is based around the equivalent of EU4's time frame, and C) there is, in fact, a CK3 version of Anbennar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

PurpleXVI posted:

There is a CK3 Anbennar in the works as far as I know, but the mod is set in roughly the same time period as EU4. Crucially, artificer-enhanced modern weapons are about to obsolete battlemages. This is very clearly the fantasy Renaissance, complete with a fantasy Reformation. Plus (re-)discovering America Aelantir, with a great deal of colonization. And the setting creator had long been clear that he very much wants Victoria 3 to advance the setting further, they were super happy when Vicky 3 was announced. I think there's already a playable Vicky 3 Anbennar. So while the character focus of CK3 would probably have been a better fit than EU4, in most other respects EU4 was the natural "home" of the mod.