Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Good first update and I'm ready for the benevolent Greentide!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m excited for this :)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just wanna say, there is one other way you can get tribal dev growth, the mission “co-operation with other clans” gives an enormous boost, to the point that I think someone typoed a decimal place. It’s way out of line with other tribal dev growth boosts and lets you settle a lot of land really fast

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Now what's this about mandatory orc-gfs?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

> PURGE HUMAN SCUM

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Been interested in this mod but never really known where to begin. Looking forward to this.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
I've started an Esthil playthrough, since we missed out on it. It hasn't been too confusing so far even though I haven't played the natives before in vanilla EU4, so I think starting as an adventurer group in Escann might be good for anyone else who wants to dip their toes into the mod.

Finnish Flasher posted:

Now what's this about mandatory orc-gfs?

I think that was one of the options that wasn't picked. But this chieftain seems interested in 'peaceful' conquest so perhaps it is still on the table?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I mean, we're playing a nation of orcs, orc GFs are probably the default

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
There's the hidden, forbidden Orcish Formable in the Deepwoods. The one where the Fae go "gently caress it lets back Team Orc" in an attempt to get revenge on humanity, deciding that the elves aren't good enough to do it.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

So, goblins are gonna be known for slapdash, explosive engineering someday? Are there any notable subversions of fantasy tropes in Anbennar?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Great Dookan is so much fun as a religion. Very WAAAAAGGH with all the free manpower and huge shock bonuses.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Triskelli posted:

So, goblins are gonna be known for slapdash, explosive engineering someday? Are there any notable subversions of fantasy tropes in Anbennar?

Kobolds eventually start getting into Transkoboldism.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Triskelli posted:

Hobgoblins are sorta-Japanese culturally, there's no Japan equivalent geographically.
There's a race of tiger people in not-India/China who are just tigers standing on two legs rather than furries.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Triskelli posted:

Depends what you mean by subversion. There's definitely some wild stuff in the world like but at it's heart it's "What if a dnd world went through the Renaissance to the Enlightenment".

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Triskelli posted:

There’s an orc formable in Anbennar’s Middle East equivalent that gets orc guilt and decides to become the protectors of humanity and liberate them from their Elven oppressors

There’s also hitler elves

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Wafflecopper posted:

There’s an orc formable in Anbennar’s Middle East equivalent that gets orc guilt and decides to become the protectors of humanity and liberate them from their Elven oppressors

There’s also hitler elves

Also Harpy Oppressors. And Goblin Oppressors.

basically karashar's entire thing is killing everything not human or orcish in Bulwar, then banishing themselves to the deserts and mountaintops

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Triskelli posted:

Are there any notable subversions of fantasy tropes in Anbennar?

No, and it owns

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The advisor pictures for each race are wonderful.

Also the Mission Trees are where Anbennar keeps most of the dumb references.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

The advisor pictures for each race are wonderful.

Also the Mission Trees are where Anbennar keeps most of the dumb references.

The MT flavour, tone, and writing quality varies wildly between tags. Some are silly and packed with dumb references, some are more serious. The mod is a giant collaboration with a lot of different writers. I’m doing a Barumand run atm and sadly their writing seems pretty ho-hum but some of the other tags are really well written.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Orc tags definitely need some more love, but I think they're getting more attention right now.

I think the Orc nation OP is going for is fairly middle of the road "we want a homeland" but isn't going full integration with the humans OR full on genocide, so like someone described, some liberal orcish self-determination.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

PurpleXVI posted:

You know, in hindsight, I'm curious why this ended up as an EU4 mod rather than a CK3 mod. It feels like it's crying out for the more character-focused mechanics of CK3.

I believe the origin for the setting was basically 'what if the French revolution took place in a high fantasy DnD world against a magocratic monarchy after the discovery of anti-magic bullets', and everything since has been worked back in one way or another from that.

Anyway, heck yes, let's get this show on the road and start the ball rolling - I love the orcish religion early game, being able to pop a bonus at just the right time to cinch a battle/win a siege race is just fantastic.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Looks like our orcish nation has no orcs. The population is all goblin and half-orc (judging from the races screenshot).
Did the OP pick a goblin country led by a orc instead of a true orcish land?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kanthulhu posted:

Looks like our orcish nation has no orcs. The population is all goblin and half-orc (judging from the races screenshot).

There's no shortage of orcs in this part of the map.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Depends what you mean by subversion. There's definitely some wild stuff in the world like but at it's heart it's "What if a dnd world went through the Renaissance to the Enlightenment".

In that sense, the subversion is the fact that the setting isn't frozen in Ye Middle Ages

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Thinking of Goblin countries in the Dwarovar, you've got Railskulker who go full rail technocracy, you've got Truedagger who rule by backstabbing and have orcs and dwarves fight in a colosseum, you've got Greedy Grin who are all about GOLD and you've got Chaingrasper who is the necromancer Goblin nation lead by a lich. So there's variety there!

There isn't a Goblin formable in Escann yet.

Kanthulhu posted:

Our army and ruling administration is made of orcs, but it does seem like most of your population is goblins and half-orcs, yes. We're gonna have to deal with that eventually, either through integration or expelling/purging.

Personally I usually go with integrating when I can, because I looove stacking bonuses.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
I'm pretty sure the species breakdown in those pictures isn't accurate; you can see in the shots of the government tab that 100% of all core province development is green orc culture. It's just a consequence of the pop system being somewhat kludged together and only updating every couple of months for performance reasons, I've noticed before that it also takes a while to properly initialize the majority pops on starting a game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mygna posted:

I'm pretty sure the species breakdown in those pictures isn't accurate; you can see in the shots of the government tab that 100% of all core province development is green orc culture. It's just a consequence of the pop system being somewhat kludged together and only updating every couple of months for performance reasons, I've noticed before that it also takes a while to properly initialize the majority pops on starting a game.

And if we ever get a Mage ruler you gotta wait a month to see what magic schools they're good at.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I'm surprised to see the level of oppression there is against some of the others as Goblins tend to go hand in hand in with Orcs in numerous fantasy tropes. It's quite nice to start with a clean slate with plenty of opportunities to make friends and/or exterminate freely.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Ibblebibble posted:

Hobgoblins are sorta-Japanese culturally, there's no Japan equivalent geographically.

this was primarily invented by dnd 3.5 edition since they were desperate to have distinct takes for each of the otherwise interchangeable gremlin type species

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I'm surprised to see the level of oppression there is against some of the others as Goblins tend to go hand in hand in with Orcs in numerous fantasy tropes. It's quite nice to start with a clean slate with plenty of opportunities to make friends and/or exterminate freely.

They're usually lumped together as 'evil' races but neither are particularly evil in Anbennar. More chaotic neutral for the most part.

There isn't too much willing co-existance between them. The serpentspine goblin countries got hosed up by the greentide as much as Escann did. And like The Command (hobgoblins) use Orcs as basically janissaries

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

AnoHito posted:

No, and it owns

Schweet. Hoping the Vicky3 mod includes Warforged/golems seizing the means of production

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty certain Store Brand Warforged are planned for one of the continents they haven't done yet

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm pretty sure they're just called Warforged but yes.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

They're called the Mechanim (for now, currently in development).

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Yeah the golem guys are apparently for not-australia. Just two continents left to fill out, that one and southern/central africa (North africa's already done).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm looking at the weekend for the next update, maybe, since I've got some holiday stuff coming up. I'll see when I can squeeze some time to do it.

I'm thinking of trying to conquer Marrhold as soon as I get a good opportunity. It's good land, and more importantly it would get us Feudalism. And as long as we don't have Feudalism, technology is more expensive. It would also let us integrate humans faster if we want to go for Orc multiculturalism which seems to be what the thread wants.

Furthermore Dwarven Holds are incredibly good. Money-making machines.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
So good at making money in fact that they've got an entire disaster chain around how much money they'll make....

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Is it, perhaps, possible to dig too deeply, maybe even too greedily?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

Most Dwarven Gameplay in this game is A) digging deeply and greedily, and B) finding out what happens when you do that.