Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Poil posted:

Stay Great Dookan. I've no idea what other religion we can switch to later but that... whatever it is, isn't properly orcy. I think.

Ours is a nation of sophistication like top hats, monocles, canes and tusk gloves. Aristocratic ideas.

Definitely this.
Orcs in top hats are too great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Great Dookan (for now...)
Quantity has a quality on its own

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

MonsieurChoc posted:

Here's how things stand in Escann in 1485. We seem to be the biggest nation around. Two of the adventurers have formed their own nations: Covenblad and Newshire.

I believe the Corintar have formed their nation as well, they just don't change name doing so unless you're a player and you pick one of the boring "resurrect former Escann country" options. They're generally first to finish, due to being cheating bastards who start halfway down the adventurer government reform tree. They "pay" for this by being locked into a reform that keeps them nomadic for longer, so you'll usually see them create a nation soon after all the other adventurers start to do tribal settling.

Unfortunately for them the Corintar also start in the east near you, so they and their potential helpers have gotten beaten up and failed to grab any tribal lands. The western adventurers have done a lot better and I'm hoping New Wanderers somehow beat the odds and do well, but no major powers in view yet ... except for Tugund-Darakh, I guess.

I'd vote for Plutocratic ideas, but they're shamefully not on there.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Xerophyte posted:

I'd vote for Plutocratic ideas, but they're shamefully not on there.

They're not there because OP isn't playing the right government type. It's Aristocratic instead.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

They're not there because OP isn't playing the right government type. It's Aristocratic instead.

Yes, that would be the shameful part.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

megane posted:

Stay Great Dookan for now and everyone knows Quantity is the orkiest of ideas.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

If we wait to hit the end of the govt reform tree we can also choose either plutocratic or divine (sadly nor horde) ideas before we got back to a monarchy by forming our country

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Stay Great Dookan, and QUANTITY

Bring the WAAAAAGH, obviously.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Don't change religion, Offensive

Good LP, I have been meaning to check out this mod for absolutely ages so this is pretty interesting

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Great Dookan

Quantity

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Stay Great Dookan, go Offensive. Offensive gives you the most leader pips and it's nice to be able to go up a War Wizard and go "you ain't poo poo".

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Sybot posted:

Stay Great Dookan. The hassle of changing is probably not worth it.

Quantity. If we're going to be agricultural orcs, then we can funnel all that food into an ever bigger army.

Casting my vote or this. More orcs, more humans, more half-orcs.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Firebatgyro posted:

If we wait to hit the end of the govt reform tree we can also choose either plutocratic or divine (sadly nor horde) ideas before we got back to a monarchy by forming our country
We can have one of those on top of aristocratic. Unless the mod changes it we can even switch to the other much later and have all three. :v:

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Great Dookan (for now)

Aristocratic Let’s get fancy with it. Also it’s just a good jack of all trades idea group

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Great Dookan isn't perfect-- for one thing, the Dook got beat up by a human, and that isn't a great look-- but it's better than whatever that human mess of a religion is. Seriously, they've got like a billion gods, and the one in charge doesn't seem to do much. Speaking as an orcish society, we know a thing or two about where that kind of thing leads. No thank you.

As for our military traditions, we're already outnumbering the humans around us, and if we try to muster too many more regiments we might risk straining our fragile economy. We do need manpower, but Aristocratic will give us that along with some bonuses to military technology and development that will be useful later.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Poil posted:

Stay Great Dookan. I've no idea what other religion we can switch to later but that... whatever it is, isn't properly orcy. I think.

Ours is a nation of sophistication like top hats, monocles, canes and tusk gloves. Aristocratic ideas.

I also vote for fancy, religious conservative orcs

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
From what I could tell from the screenshots, we already are the biggest fish in our pond and are already fielding the largest army. Investing in Quantity now for reasons of WAAAAAAGHing would be a bit of waste, as it wouldn't give us anything except an even larger army which we probably won't need right now.

I'm voting for Quality to improve the troops we already have. We are playing as a tolerant, open-minded orcish society moving away from the tradional tribal ethos to a more urban cosmopolitan way of life, since we keep intagrating all the peoples we can find. I think a focus on Quality rather than Quantity, Offense or Aristocratic would represent that better.

Edit: About religion: I see no reason to justify changing our religion yet. Roleplaying wise, I mean. We are lacking a good reason to change just yet. Keep our current religion.

Kanthulhu fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 17, 2023

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Would there be any actual benefits for changing religion now? If not then we may as well stay as we are.

I wonder how Crovan Woodcock got their name.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 17, 2023

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Poil posted:

Strongly in favour of this.

Just an FYI for those voting Quality - the geography of the mod is such that we are nearly as far from any ocean as is physically possible without being inside a mountain - we will never get any use out of the naval buffs so half the group will be 'wasted'.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yuiiut posted:

Just an FYI for those voting Quality - the geography of the mod is such that we are nearly as far from any ocean as is physically possible without being inside a mountain - we will never get any use out of the naval buffs so half the group will be 'wasted'.

Anbennar-Scandinavia (complete with pseudo-Baltic Sea) is just to the north.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Would there be any actual benefits for changing religion now? If not then we may as well stay as we are.

Kinda? Being Regent Court would mean all the Regent Court nations hate you less, and are less upset with you when you beat people up and take their stuff. It arguably has better religion bonuses than Great Dookan (also Dookan was a butt and Dookanson was a moron). Mostly you'd do it for the diplomatic bonus, so you could get nice, safe alliances with powerful Regent Court neighbors.

Unfortunately for that plan, Heartgrinder are a Monstrous Nation. Monsters have a -100 opinion malus with any non-monstrous nation, which includes all the Regent Court ones. Allying any of them isn't happening for a while.

Going Regent Court might be useful for future reasons. Heartgrinder will probably de-monsterize at some point. Also Anbennar has an adapted Reformation mechanic, and depending on how you want to play that you may want to be Regent Court for it. Because of how the expulsion & purge province conversion mechanics work it's usually helpful to switch religion early if you're sure you want it.

Narratively, the Regent Court adventurers did just kill Orc Jesus in a straight-up fight so, sure, some orc warband might decide that the grass is greener on the other side.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
It is Orcy to always be Dookan it out.
Beyond that does Quantity not have a quality all of its own?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

From bein' funky as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHycxiW6XOQ

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yuiiut posted:

The land part of the group is strong enough that it’s worth it anyway imo

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wafflecopper posted:

The land part of the group is strong enough that it’s worth it anyway imo

I know poo poo-all about the game's mechanics, I was just voting for the road less traveled from a fluff standpoint (without going for top hats and monocles).

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009

Kanthulhu posted:

From what I could tell from the screenshots, we already are the biggest fish in our pond and are already fielding the largest army. Investing in Quantity now for reasons of WAAAAAAGHing would be a bit of waste, as it wouldn't give us anything except an even larger army which we probably won't need right now.

I'm voting for Quality to improve the troops we already have. We are playing as a tolerant, open-minded orcish society moving away from the tradional tribal ethos to a more urban cosmopolitan way of life, since we keep intagrating all the peoples we can find. I think a focus on Quality rather than Quantity, Offense or Aristocratic would represent that better.

Even if we don't strictly need a larger army, the idea group brings other benefits. Having more manpower and recovering it faster allows us to sustain wars for longer, reducing the chance that we'll need to peace out with less than we want, our army will be cheaper in general, and with a higher force limit we can expand our army as needed without it costing ruinous amounts of money. At the moment we're still a warband in the process of settling down, we can start modernizing our troops once the situation in Escann is stabilized.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Keep Dookan + Quantity. :orks101:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mostly it would let us form Barumand earlier, as otherwise we need to wait until Admin Tech 8.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Dookan + Offensive orkz always be fightin'

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Mostly it would let us form Barumand earlier, as otherwise we need to wait until Admin Tech 8.

I read that part, I was meaning other benefits that would effect the clan directly. Xenophyte gave a pretty descriptive run down of the positives and negatives.

Keep Dookan.

Quantity:

Step 1 - Lots Of Orcs.
Step 2 - Top Hats.
Step 3 - Conquer The World Stylishly.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Hold off on changing religions.

I'm going to go against expectations and vote quality. Each orc should strive to be the finest warrior, the finest soldier, that they can be. Our armies should be able to defeat enemies ten times their number, because we're just that badass.

And if we get large armies as well due to whatever horde-type bonuses we get from being orcs, well that just means we have big, badass armies.

Not played EU4 for about a year and never played Anbennar but I like the sound of this.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Average Lettuce posted:

Update, yay! I'd would not change religion and go Quantity ideas, that seems the Orc way.

My vote is also this

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Stay Great Dookan

Offensive

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Stay Great Dookan, disgusting to even think about groveling to the pathetic human gods

We are now, and always will be an OFFENSIVE people.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Keep our Great Green God! And clearly Quantity is the way.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Having thought deeply and thoroughly for five whole minutes, I am changing my vote to Offensive Ideas, for is not the essence of Orcishness to crush your enemy underfoot, rather than to outnumber him?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The world needs Fancy Orcs. Aristocratic

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Alright, gonna need to take out my counting glasses for the Idea Group but it seems like Great Dookan is the clear winner on Religion.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The world needs Fancy Orcs. Aristocratic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I just realized that one of the administrative ideas has a possibly insensitive name for orcs and other non-human people. Would humanism still be called that in a fantasy setting?