Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Poil posted:

I just realized that one of the administrative ideas has a possibly insensitive name for orcs and other non-human people. Would humanism still be called that in a fantasy setting?

It was renamed to Tolerance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ah, that makes sense.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The last idea in the Tolerance idea group is called Humanist Tolerance. Embarrassing

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Jay Rust posted:

The last idea in the Tolerance idea group is called Humanist Tolerance. Embarrassing

Literally unplayable!!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I have lost my ability to feel human. :orks:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Unofficial count if there are no more votes:
Aristocratic: 11
Offensive: 8
Defensive: 0
Quality: 5
Quantity: 15

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Unofficial count if there are no more votes:
Aristocratic: 11
Offensive: 8
Quality: 5
Quantity: 15

Thank you! I was busy at work all day so this speeds things up for me. :)

Looks like the Orcish Horde has beaten the Top Hat Orcs. There's always later!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Xelkelvos posted:

:lol: We know which side of the war we want to be on for sure.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Defense actually has some pretty good bonuses for offensive armies despite the name. Iirc it includes increases army tradition from battles, a big morale buff which is really good early game, increasing general's army movement speed buffs, faster reinforcement and reduced attrition in enemy provinces

Though it also includes cheaper and stronger forts and increased enemy attrition in our provinces That last one feels properly orky as well.

Spoilers in case people don't want to see the details.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Boo, the boring correct choice won.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Yeah the name defensive can be quite deceiving, it's more of a "gently caress your poo poo up (also better forts)" than straight up defensive.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 20, 2023

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Defensive Ideas are for dwarves :orks101:

No, really. Dwarven holds with defensive ideas and edicts are absolute nightmares to siege down. You'll likely lose more manpower doing so than fighting their armies. This is balanced by any hold province that gets occupied suffering a hefty economic malus (Damaged/Ruined Hold) that requires a big chunk of money, monarch points and time to get rid of.

So be sure to bring some cannons when it's time to finish off Marrhold.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 20, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

Defensive Ideas are for dwarves :orks101:

No, really. Dwarven holds with defensive ideas and edicts are absolute nightmares to siege down. You'll likely lose more manpower doing so than fighting their armies. This is balanced by any hold province that gets occupied suffering a hefty economic malus (Damaged/Ruined Hold) that requires a big chunk of money, monarch points and time to get rid of.

So be sure to bring some cannons when it's time to finish off Marrhold.

Oh yeah, if we'd been playing Dwarves I'd be explaining the Dwarven Hold and how you MUST put down a Fort as soon as you get one.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

MonsieurChoc posted:

Oh yeah, if we'd been playing Dwarves I'd be explaining the Dwarven Hold and how you MUST put down a Fort as soon as you get one.

Seeing as I was just making an attempt at an Asra Expedition game and am bad at EU4, care to say more? Or provide any other hints?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

You get a very expensive malus if it ever gets occupied, as mentioned earlier.

It will also devastate development.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, there's nothing more annoying than realising your new hold has no fort. Means you have to leave an army up while you build one.

But on the other hand, holds have such incredibly high defensiveness you don't really need defensive ideas when playing them. Not sure how many actual dwarven holds we'll be fighting this run though.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

idhrendur posted:

Seeing as I was just making an attempt at an Asra Expedition game and am bad at EU4, care to say more? Or provide any other hints?

It's very expensive to repair and disinfect holds (unless you offload it to a vassal, which is generally nice to do for secondary holds early in the game), and if ever the hold province gets occupied then you need to repair it all over again. You also lose all the nice hold bonuses, and the hold bonuses are very nice. Finally, holds are very good defensive terrain and usually placed on map chokepoints so forting them tends to make sense regardless.

There's a bunch of other things to bear in mind, but not sure if MonsieurChoc wants us to go into a bunch of mechanics for stuff that hasn't appeared here. One thing I'll say is to not be afraid to save and reload. Anbennar is fun, but it has the sort of mod jank that will catch you off-guard.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 20, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Or you're playing as Centaurs and just leave it ruined, because who cares, admin points are far more important.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

AnoHito posted:

Boo, the boring correct choice won.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Xerophyte posted:

It's very expensive to repair and disinfect holds (unless you offload it to a vassal, which is generally nice to do for secondary holds early in the game), and if ever the hold province gets occupied then you need to repair it all over again. You also lose all the nice hold bonuses, and the hold bonuses are very nice. Finally, holds are very good defensive terrain and usually placed on map chokepoints so forting them tends to make sense regardless.

There's a bunch of other things to bear in mind, but not sure if MonsieurChoc wants us to go into a bunch of mechanics for stuff that hasn't appeared here. One thing I'll say is to not be afraid to save and reload. Anbennar is fun, but it has the sort of mod jank that will catc

One problem is that Anbennar eventually reaches a point where in the mid to late game, even just a single province costs 100+ warscore to take.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Fivemarks posted:

One problem is that Anbennar eventually reaches a point where in the mid to late game, even just a single province costs 100+ warscore to take.

Are you playing with some other mods (in particular, either "anbennar tweaks" or "historical & dynamic population" mods) because I haven't seen that, and I've played a game until 1821 with Magisterium where I was fighting occasional wars in Cannor until the end - including in the empire. All on the latest patch.

e: As in not even close, I was conquering multiple high-dev (and/or capital) imperial provinces per war. I let them live until everyone started blobbing hard with the imperialism CB, at which point I had to clean up a bit to keep up and not get declared upon when I was just running out the time.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 20, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The only submod I really use is the ones that add a bunch of OP monuments, but I'm not using it for this LP. Only base mod.

idhrendur posted:

You really want to do expeditions for the bonuses it gives you before settling into your Hold.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Private Speech posted:

Are you playing with some other mods (in particular, either "anbennar tweaks" or "historical & dynamic population" mods) because I haven't seen that, and I've played a game until 1821 with Magisterium where I was fighting occasional wars in Cannor until the end - including in the empire. All on the latest patch.

e: As in not even close, I was conquering multiple high-dev (and/or capital) imperial provinces per war. I let them live until everyone started blobbing hard with the imperialism CB, at which point I had to clean up a bit to keep up and not get declared upon when I was just running out the time.

Nah it was my Demon Empire game.

But Haless has a lot of prroblems, like 90% of runs running into the problem of "The Hobgoblins are still nearly unstoppable unless the Oni get big"

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Fivemarks posted:

I have 1k+ hours in Anbennar and I’ve literally never seen this. Even super high dev dwarf holds are only like 30-40%. Did you somehow have a bunch of increased coring cost modifiers stacked up?

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Wafflecopper posted:

I have 1k+ hours in Anbennar and I’ve literally never seen this. Even super high dev dwarf holds are only like 30-40%. Did you somehow have a bunch of increased coring cost modifiers stacked up?

Doesn't the game cap warscore per province at 30%? Unless you're and adventurer or someone else with warscore maluses it should be mechanically impossible to not be able to take a single province

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I've been pretty busy these days but I did advance the timeline to 1500. Then I used the power of time travel (save/loading) to undue a catastrophic war I shouldn't have started.

I'm actually gonna play some more before doing the update because so far it's very much a waiting for stuff to happen update.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

That's usually how Escann goes, yeah. You have your initial consolidation period, then about 10-20 years (depending on how well you did) of twiddling your thumbs waiting for the admin tech needed to switch tags. After that it's go time again.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

One really weird thing did happen though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Edit: Accidentally clicked reply while writing the update oops

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Chapter 3: Surprise Bonus Province

So after much reflecting we decided to keep the Great Dookan religion and choose the Quantity group of military ideas.

Following our last successful campaign, we're gonna work on Coring our new provinces. What's Coring? Well, it's one of the many sub-systems in the base Europa Universalis 4 game. See, there's actually multiple levels of owning territory in this game: Cores are what is considered to be naturally part of your realm, and when someone else conquers them you get a Re-Conquest casus belli. Provinces that haven't been cored you have little control over (lots of Autonomy), and coring costs and time depends on the Development of the Province. So it's gonna take a long time for those provinces to get cored.

Still, now that we have more land we can field our first Orc Cannons. Boom!

Since we have a bunch of Military Points saved up we can get the first two ideas in the Quantity group. More warriors is always good.

I let time pass as we core our new provinces when something strange happens...

Huh? What's going on, Covenblad is on the complete opposite end of Escann and we weren't even at war?

It seems that somehow Covenblad got Heartgrinder separatists rebels and they managed to occupy the province of Bal Mire. And when separatists occupy a province, they make it a core of the nation theyw ant to create and/or join. There's a few countries in vanilla EU4 that can only be created that way. Well, it's not like the rebels are going to win anyway so this is more of a fun side event. We won't be able to conquer it for a long time anyway as, once again, Covenblad is on the other end of the region.

Small lore aside: Bal Mire is a ruined ancient citadel of the fallen Empire of Castanor. It can be repaired and even built up using the monument system that got added in one of the EU4 dlcs. There aren,t that many Monuments in base Anbennar but there's fan-made submods that add a ton.

We get another Human Tolerance event where I decide to let highwaymen cause trouble because the other options lower Human Tolerance. The things we do for our people...

By 1490 we have finally finished coring our new Marrodic provinces and also have enough points to learn the third Quantity idea. This also unlocks the first of our National Ideas, which I showed in chapter 1. We'll be switching to enw National Ideas once we form Barumand anyway.

We get an event where our Queen introduces one of her friend as an half-cost advisor. Personally, I love these events: gimme cheap advisors!

Here's what our court looks like in 1490. It seems the Queen's friend was JANE METALJAW, a human follower of Great Dookan.

We reach Diplomatic Tech 6, which gives us the power to build docks (useless without a coast) and to steal maps.

We purchase our second Age Ability. Honestly most aren't that useful for us in this era so I went with the one unique to Escann we can take: MOAR LOOT. When you siege a province in a war, you slowly deplete the Loot bar on tha tprovince, pillaging everything valuable in it. You can use this to make money during wars.

We reach Admin Tech 6, which gives us some really good buildings that we can't build while our government type is native. It also brings us closer to Admin Tech 8 where we will finally be able to form Barumand (if your government isn't native).

In 1492 after a couple eyars of peace it's time for more war. This time our target is the neighboring orc country of Deadfang, shown in the screenshot above (the dark green country). Honestly they don't stand a chance. As I'm casually destroying their armies and pillaging their provinces with our enw loot ability though, this happens:

Somehow, the mad lads did it! We now have the ancient fortress of Bal Mire, all the way on the other side of Escann!

And thanks to the defectors army joining ours we have enough troops to complete the Army of Conquerors mission. Wow, this is incredibly lucky.

Our war against Deadfang ends with us taking two of their provinces and some of their money. We just keep growing!

Thanks to these new provinces we can set up better wolf breeding to support our Warg Cavalry.

We're also big enough now that we can be considered a Rising Power. We're almost at the end of the Generic Mission Tree now. In fact, the next two missions require buildings that we can't create as natives.

We get yet another quantity idea. Supply limit in this case is how many troops you can have in a province before they start taking attrition damage. At this point we're doing rpetty well. After some of our bonuses time out I start making some adjustments to our economy, fire some troops, but overall we're still good...

OH gently caress. This isn't good.

You see the big wall of fog next to Bal Mire? Somewhere in there is Gawed, one of the major power in the western Cannorian continent. And since we'r enow neighbors, these guys know we exist. And they apparently think we're being a bit too conquest-happy so they've warned us that if we declare another war, they'r ejoining on the side of our enemies. This is bad: they're way too big for us to fight now. We're gonna have to be very careful of our next moves.

Here's the list of the top 8 Great Powers as of 1493. As you can see, Gawed is Number One. Now, don't ask me how we know the rankings when we know only of the countries on the list. It's a game abstraction.
Gawed is a country of northerners who hate elves. Sort-of Russian, I never played them but they are often a thorn in my side
Lorent is to the south of them, and is more France inspired. They start with a lot of disloyal "wnielords" vassals they need to reign in.
The Hobgoblin Command is a massive hobgoblina rmy rampaging through Haless, the eastern continent. They are incredibly strong, and seem to be behind because they don't have the Renaissance yet.
Kheterata is a country far to the south, and is where the New Wanderers come from. Egyptian-inspired, they worship immortal cat-like beings known as the Khets.
Bjarnrik is a country to the north of Gawed, very viking-like. They usually don't do that well what with the trolls and orcs of the area so we'll see what's happenig there when the fog lifts.
Bhuvauri is a country to the east of the Raj foudnead by slaves who revolted against their Raj overlord. They still practice slavery themselves though. A Mamluk moment if I ever saw one. They don't have a Mission Tree yet.
Guwamuud is one the countries that can be formed by the Terror-Bird Riders of Haless as they conquer the continent. Strong, but they get some real nasty disasters.
Larankar is one of the native countries in Aelantir. I have not played much in that area.

In 1494 I take the risk of declaring war against the Order of Ashen Rose. Since Gawed doesn't see most of Escann, they don't knwo that we're doing wars in that region. This advantage won't last forever so we better use it while we can.

Sometimes after winning a battle, your general will gain a special trait. In this case, it seems our boy Noruk loves cannons. A man after my own heart.

While we're curshing our enemies, part of the fog of war is lifted: we've discovered (some of) the wider world. It seems like our grey orc cousins to the north are not doing so well. Frozenmaw used to do really well and found Grombar most of the time, but with the latest Release they now seem to get crushed almost all the time. I wonder why.

We can also see more of the Deepwoods now. It seems that the emerald Orcs of Tugund-Darakh have managed to get a coalition against them. Coalitions are bad: a giant alliance made specifically to stop you. If you generate too much aggressive expansion, you might get a coalition.

After a long siege of their capital, we defeat Ashen Rose in 1495. We fully annex their ally Gallant Friends and take one of their provinces. Seizing lands from allies in war, and furthermore fully annexing them, generates a lot more aggressive expansion but we should be fine. No coalitions seem likely to appear.

In other news, it seems that the dwarves of the Asra Expedition have successfully restored the Hold of Khugdihr, just north of Escann. They might prove troublesome later.

Here's Khugdihr. I've played them before, they're fun.

At some point we hit tolerance for humans so I switch focus to Half-Orcs. I got the feeling the thread wanted to see some orc-human love. *waggles eyebrows*

More quantity.

In 1498 we FINALLY embrace the Renaissance. Our orcs can now dress like fops, with big hats and rapiers.

This lets us purchase Diplo Tech 7, which is still useless for a landlocked nation.

In 1500, we finally reach Government Reform Tier 4. Only one more to no longer be a native tribe! I chose this one because the other one gives bonuses to Absolutism, a mechanic that won't appear until the 1600s.

After long years of peace I got a bit antsy. Sensing an opportunity where one of Marrhold's ally wouldn't join the war and all my allies would, I decide to declare war. This war would turn out to be a lot harder than I thought it would be.

This update is getting pretty long so I'm going to end it there. I already have all the footage for the next one so hopefully it shouldn't be too long

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Warnings only come into play when you attack a neighbor of the nation that's warning you, don't they? Gawed won't care about you eating inner Escann, only if you expand near their borders.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Boksi posted:

Warnings only come into play when you attack a neighbor of the nation that's warning you, don't they? Gawed won't care about you eating inner Escann, only if you expand near their borders.

Yeah, it's mostly gonna be a problem if try to expand our control near Bal Mire.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

MonsieurChoc posted:

In 1498 we FINALLY embrace the Renaissance. Our orcs can now dress like fops, with big hats and rapiers.

We could've been fancier still if we had gone aristocratic, instead our burghers and other commoners are strutting round in finery, forgetting their place :mad:

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
No, the commoners are all getting drafted into the military, that's the point of Quantity. All orcs (and humans, and half-orcs) must serve!

Gawed already being number one is concerning. If they manage to accelerate beyond Lorent's ability to contain them they could be a major threat in future. They're already poking their nose into Escann, although that might just be anti-player bias.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Our soldiers can still look plenty fancy. This is right around the time when these guys were starting to show up in our world.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I need to find ways to organize my life better.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

It's okay, barely anyone has figured that stuff out.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I need to find ways to organize my life better.

whomst among us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
It's simple, just research a couple levels of Admin tech and unlock the next tier of Administrative Efficiency bonus