Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

AARD VARKMAN posted:

So raw meat and bulgur and spices and stuff. I'd eat it, though I don't know how quickly you can cook raw ground meat with "spices and kneading".

I worked as an English teacher in Istanbul for a while and Çiğ köfte is genuinely one of my favorite foods, though the reality is that if you get it from a restaurant or street vendor it's going to be the vegan kind 100% of the time. The real old school raw meat one is still made in home kitchens occasionally, but serving the kind with actual raw meat to the public is illegal in Turkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

I love me some throwsa.

It's the naming schema of the 'betos/'bertos in southern CA/AZ; a California burrito has carne asada, french fries, pico, cheese, and often guac. They are good! Mission-style burritos are the San Diegan infliction that packs a large tortilla full of rice, and people are right to hate them.

"California burritos" with fries in them are originally a San Diego thing but have spread via the 'betos/'bertos restaurants you mention, they are wrong. Mission burritos aren't San Diegan, they're from and named for the Mission District of San Francisco, my understanding is that they're an evolution of the burritos that were eaten by agricultural laborers in the San Joaquin Valley but they feature a larger than usual tortilla that's been steamed to increase its flexibility so they can fit more ingredients in. You're right that they have rice in them, as is good and proper. I'm from Fresno and as such prefer the original San Joaquin Valley farm worker burritos, but the Mission ones are good too.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

JackBandit posted:

It actually makes it easier to eat, you just eat around the pieces of bone, you don’t have to nibble around the contours of the whole bone. But obviously it’s a choking hazard if you aren’t expecting it.

I lived in China for 5 years, got used to a lot of things that threw me off at first, but this is the one thing I never could get used to. I'm sorry, but I just don't want splinters of bone in my chicken.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Kokorec is really good when it's cut off the log like shawarma, I don't know how I feel about having a whole one shoved into a loaf of bread though. Maybe I'm just a coward.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
You know, spit roasting a whole tuna probably isn't the worst idea in the world, it's just that I feel like shaving meat off a spit like a kebab/shawarma/gyros is not a good idea with something that still has the bones inside.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Kenning posted:

Turkey is on the absolute bleeding edge of offal.

That may be true but in the video with the stomach(?) full of hot rocks the guy's apron has Tibetan script on the top and Chinese characters on the bottom so it's probably not Turkish.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

CuwiKhons posted:

I think my issue with it is that crabs and lobsters, even though they're basically just the spiders and cockroaches of the ocean, are big enough that you aren't expected to eat the exoskeleton. If grasshoppers grew big enough to cut open and carve out the meat, that would be a lot more palatable to me. I do not want to crunch down on wings and legs and all that poo poo. Even shrimp get peeled first.

I think bugs are good but this is a valid argument for people who don't like them. It's a fundamentally different experience to just pop the whole animal in your mouth versus cracking open the shell and pulling out the muscle in the tail or claws. I like them both but with the exception of the big tarantulas they eat in places like Cambodia there aren't any land arthropods that fulfill the same culinary role as most crabs, shrimp, lobsters, or crayfish.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Does anyone know the name of the song? I want to support the artist.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Valko posted:

Artist: Biser King

Song: Dom Dom Yes Yes

Thank you. poo poo slaps.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I like my sandwiches like I like my coffee... COVERED IN BEES!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
A tamal and chilaquiles on a torta? Hell yes. I'll take two and then have a nap.