Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SlothfulCobra posted:

I kinda like watching the seafood ones, which can be very interesting and weird, although it can be kinda gross to see the fish and various other creatures being cut up, sometimes killed on the spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7xyVXmEr74
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOu8SEURbZ0

But the king and grossest of these videos is: :nws::dong::nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tohl-nFCugw

the problem w/ penis worm is that if you don't get it on the street and as fast as possible it stops moving so it's just an ordinary-tasting worm

even if you got to a 횟집 and have it minutes after killing, not seconds, it'll usually have stopped moving. the point is the moving, like sannakji

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

itry posted:

So much oil... This is like something someone would make/eat on a dare.

its a deli, they're making the entire inventory to sell for a day or whatever for a deli. each individual serving looks to be 3-5 eggs

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
koreas prez does far more korean stupid things like say incel poo poo and get too drunk off his rear end to respond to northern aggression shi

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no glaze is almost certainly safe. many but not close to all glazes are safe

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bureaucracies hate street stands. basically every bureaucracy hates them and hates them bad, because they're portable and illiterate. so the stronger food departments are, the more they inevitably crush them, even if the stands themselves are delicious and safe

american food is regulated for safety, as a rule, not for quality. european and asian regulators also care about making delicious food, but american regulators don't (european and asian regulators recommend a safe and tasty temperature for meat doneness, american regulators want you to cook meat until it's shoe leather...)

street food qua street food also requires serious pedestrian volume, which only exists in america in nyc, basically

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 6, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its not hard to make either

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you want a non sweet thickener use rice flour imo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

Hopefully they won't make it crazy sweet. I have never seen more sugar and syrup used in anything than when I watched tteokbokki being made at street stalls.

korean american places are way more conservative about it unless theyre recent immigrants

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
drunk. things you would eat drunk.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
areca is an addicting carcinogen, yes. gives you mouth cancer. also to be consumed w/ pickling lime (calcium hydroxide)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 15, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
smoking increases lung cancer risk 20x, betel nut chewing increases oral cancer risk 6-8x according to the few studies done, smokeless tobacco increases oral cancer risk 4-10x depending on study. so it's just that smokeless tobacco's been studied more prolly

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
street food is also in part busking where the audience gets food at the end (why this thread is viable in the first place), which is sharpened to the highest degree with those turkish ice cream dudes. so since the ice water and hands and leidenfrost are part of the show, he can't just switch to tongs

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

AARD VARKMAN posted:

How much you think this thing costs
https://i.imgur.com/IuOGtbV.mp4

they have the menu right there looks like 200rs (2.5 usd)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it says in plain english Spcl. in bright red

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
heres a long article about it in denver

https://www.westword.com/restaurants/food-safety-regulations-could-endanger-traditional-tacos-al-pastor-in-denver-9152151

tldr: it fucks over some peeps in highly inspected places like america if they cant deal with the nontrivial rules, theres a precooked thing from food service companies for this purpose

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres a whole genre of machetes made from truck springs

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it was made for douyin in the first place. food as showmanship

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
im the welding w open toed shoes

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
charles stross, the apocalypse / singularity scifi fantasy author, had leeds destroyed as the first steps of the apocalypse in the laundry files (his eldritch abomination computing apocalypse series) because he was born there and hates it that much

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
he's a Poster. in metafilter only nowadays tho

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
deffo a dealio where the name hinders uptake

"turkish pizza", or something

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Samovar posted:

Something that is staggeringly lavish without being grotesquely indulgent?! Impossible!

actually pro-quality knife skills, too, which appears surprisingly seldom in food videos nowadays

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
foreign is relative

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
would if they were just shaped that way, would if they had mice inside, just as long as they're eatin mice

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

The Alchemist posted:

Love going to north europe 2 order south american cuisine. I also go to the deepest of the Amazon to find the tribe that makes the authentic Wienerschnitzel

you can get the world's best doner in germany, the problem is that there's no mexicans in germany, about. there's too rich a country too close to mexico for economic immigrants to go anywhere else

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

After leaving the US I thought there should be some sort of UN program to pay for taco trucks and distribute Mexican chefs around the world. Like what Thailand does.

thailand does this to do export-led growth to various countries. but mexico's neighbor is too easy to get to and trade with for them, and too rich, to want to diversify enormously (like, 80% of their foreign trade is with the us), so...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

snergle posted:

are those loving corn nuts. is spain / portugals food that different from hispanic food? i just assumed it was sort of similar but obviously not identical. like irc alot of hispanic food uses pre columbian exchange items but instead of corn and peppers its idk something else

you would think so, but no, they're not that similar. they were racist colonialists and the main colonialism happened before cheap globalization, they didn't import much food from the colonies

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 3, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hernando de soto introduced em, i dunno what you're talking about

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thailand sends diplomats out to get visas for thai chefs in order to do culinary diplomacy by selling thai food to peeps

it works better than 99% of all other cack-handed soft power things

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
some aspect of it was from them copying the americans doing it with coca-cola and mcdonalds. if you wanna copy a soft power campaign, the americans are the only ones you can seriously copy from

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
global export of pizza is more from pizza hut and papa john's than it is from anything actually italian, sorry

e: fb

it's worth noting that there are no significant international chain pizza restaurants from italy. the most significant non-american one is actually thai, called the pizza company

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 4, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the spread of the pizza company, by the way, is basically a list of rich anti-american countries, because the american chains have sewn every other rich country up for chain pizza, pretty much

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
pastor is usually pork, so that has serious implications for who can eat it according to their beliefs

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it was switched to pork as announcement of lebanese-mexican immigrants' christian bona fides

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
costras have a tortilla in them, usually, tho?

and they're like 20 years old, so i guess new-fangled technically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

digital penitence posted:

Yeah I’m not sure if I could eat a plate of something that’s still moving.

i can, its good

you gotta eat it quick before it actually dies properly