Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
A quick google says this:

quote:

İskender kebap is a Turkish dish that consists of sliced döner kebab meat topped with hot tomato sauce over pieces of pita bread (sometimes croutons) and generously slathered with melted special sheep's milk butter and yogurt. It can be prepared from thinly and carefully cut grilled lamb or chicken. Tomato sauce and melted butter are generally poured over the dish live at the table, for the customer's amusement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Everyone should be clapping and cheering at this.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Glottis posted:

I don't know exactly where this is but could easily be near me in the Bay Area, CA, except this dude is trying a lot harder than most. It's pretty comical how in parts of San Jose a concert will end or the bars are closing and thousands of these little carts with bacon-wrapped, mayo-topped hot dogs magically appear. Probably my favorite drunk food because they're (a) tasty as hell and (b) consistent (minus the theatricality, it seems).

Yup that's pretty common in northern Mexico, and they're the perfect drunk food. Usually pretty cheap too, like 2-3 bucks for 2 of them, usually topped with grilled greasy onions, sometimes with crushed ruffles, grilled chiles and diced tomatoes.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

As a Mexican this almost made me tear up. That looks so good, I'm sad I'm not there to eat it.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

mobby_6kl posted:

hell yeah :same:. Well not the Mexican part, which is why I have to ask is this a taco or does it have a more specific name if I ever wanted to someone to make one?

Most of that is pretty homey, but in small towns especially in the south, you can find that setup with a couple of plastic tables in front and get that breakfast for 2-3 dollars. All of that is very affordable food that people in very poor regions eat regularly.

As for what everything is: eggs are on hoja santa (Mexican Pepperleaf), some of the tacos are just tortillas with lard or butter and sprinkled with queso fresco, while others have refried beans and avocado on them (and some queso fresco on them for good measure), and there's some mole quesadillas as well. The salsa is molcajeteada, which means they char the ingredients on that griddle, then grind it in a volcanic stone mortar.

I'd bet those tortillas and salsa are to die for.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

JackBandit posted:

When I was in Mexico on a road trip (15+ years ago) that was one of my favorite experiences: just cruising around looking for someone who put plastic chairs outside and getting some great food. I remember all the chairs were Coke branded and thinking, drat, global capitalism is weird.

That's a whole thing. If you're a small restaurant, coke will generally give you free or very cheap tables and chairs with their logo on it if you sell their drinks. There used to be a few other companies that did this but coke are the ones you see all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Those are sometimes called Costras, and are pretty common at taco places in Mexico, and are also very delicious. They're usually taco-sized and you get a couple of them, not a big burrito like that, though, and not nearly as thick. Still worth clogging your arteries for it though.