Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I look forward to possibly delicious/delicious adjacent food stuff from this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

AARD VARKMAN posted:

here's one that has got to be delicious :discourse:

https://i.imgur.com/QajZJqv.mp4

Some sort of kebab cheese steak maybe? If so, I'm in

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

No shoes while removing poo poo from a giant vat of hot oil

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Grand Fromage posted:

Foreign Street Food: Was that an ostrich?!

Somewhere bigpeeler's ears started burning

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Want me a deviled ostrich egg

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Dude that thing is like two dozen worth! Wanna take a slice of that big boy like a piece of deviled egg pie

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Peeling the hardboiled egg would friggin suck though

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

gently caress I hate living in a kebab desert. There's like two places that do gyro type stuff, and they're like 15 bucks. I'd kill for a local cheap, dirty pop up.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

gently caress I want a gyro now

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

gently caress y'all

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

drat gyro desert. The Greek in my veins craves a gyro

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Grand Fromage posted:

It depends on your definition. If you're picturing street food as stalls out on the street like in Thailand, or that dude mashing pomegranates, that doesn't really exist in Japan. There are some yatai stalls in Fukuoka and very occasionally you'll spot one somewhere else, but mostly you will only see that at festivals. There are also a couple tourist trap areas like in front of Sensoji in Asakusa that have permanent setups. Those are notable because of their rarity though.

There are shops that sell ready to eat food and don't have seating, so you can stand out front and eat your fried chicken or whatever. I don't think it's what most people are talking about when they say street food but it's debatable.

Granted, I haven't been since the early 00's, but I remember basically living off gyudon stands in nearly every city we visited for the ~two weeks I was there. Was like 3-4 bucks for a quick, filling meal of meat, onions, and rice. Add an egg for 50yen!

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Grand Fromage posted:

You mean like just a dude with a cart out on the street making gyudon? I've never seen such a thing but I wish I had.

Nah, just a bunch of little stalls everywhere we went in the bigger cities. Again, been around 20 years though. Also had some friggin amazing hot pot once we got to the smaller towns. Amazingly great people who treated us like family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

cynic posted:

There's a street food place near me that will hollow out an entire loaf, then stuff it with an entire full English breakfast (4x sausages, 8x smoked back bacon rashers, 4x fried eggs, 4x hash browns, 2x giant fried mushrooms and a couple of ladles of baked beans, and then just to add insult to injury will fry the scooped out bread (sliced into triangles) in butter and top the entire thing with it. I've never had the pleasure myself, but the guy I sat next to at work treated himself once a year to one of these. I can't find any photos, but if anyone is better the Googles than me and wants to go looking, it could be found in a layby in the West Midlands, UK somewhere.

No black pudding or tomatoes? Wimps.