Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Looks like it is time for a new “show off your art” thread, it appears the other one has been dormant for a few years.

I'm a big original art, poster, and print collector. Primary interest is commissioning pieces, though I do have some good pages and covers, and I love to pick up cool pieces of random original art.

What’s this thread going to cover?

In this thread we are talking about original art like covers, pages, commissions, con sketches, sketch covers, doodles on napkins, anything really that a comic book artist/creator can magically make appear on paper or any other physical medium. But not just physical art, digital art now has a place in the world, some creators offer digital commissions, some offer 1/1 prints of digitally created covers and pages. This space isn’t going to cover NFTs. Also any old print and poster will fit here. Post your favorites! Post your new additions! Ask your questions!

How does one acquire original art?

Oh geez, tons of way. Conventions, artist reps, the artists themselves, and auctions are the most common ways to buy this type of art. A good starting point is following your favorite artists on social media. They’ll post about commission openings, new items in their online shops, and con appearances. Most of them are pretty easy going, if they post a piece of art you like, just shoot them a DM, see if it is available. And artists love to share other cool art, so you will soon be swimming in cool stuff from tons of artists, and lots of opportunities to get some cool art in your greedy little mitts.

Conventions: If an artist is at a con, most will have something for sale. Lots of prints, lots of pages and covers, lots of random drawing floating around out there. Some will offer con sketches, smallish pieces done quickly over the course of the convention itself. Some will have commission opportunities.

Artist Reps: A gigantic source of original comic book art is through artist reps. A few to look into are Felix Comic Cart, Cadence Comic Art, Inky Knuckles, Essential Sequential, Artcoholics. Artist reps handle the selling and shipping of art to customers, freeing up the artists to make more art. Follow the above reps on social media, follow their email newsletters. Most art and commission opportunities are made available via an online drop with a specific drop time. Depending on the artist, pieces can move fast.

Artists: Some artists don’t mind handling the business side themselves. They’ll have an online store, or maybe they will just sell pieces through DMs on social media. They might have a Patreon that will give members a first crack at art and commissions. Again: Most are pretty cool and easy to deal with.

Auctions: eBay is certainly still an option, some artists specifically put new stuff on there from time to time. Heritage Auctions is a site referenced quite frequently. I don’t do too many auction purchases; maybe others can let us know the best places to go.

How much does this sort of thing cost?

It depends on lots of factors. You can expect new pages to go for anywhere between $150 on the low end and maybe $5,000 for some sort of Daniel Warren Johnson double page mind blowing Do A Power Bomb level of awesomeness. New covers can start at maybe $400 on the low end and $10,000 plus on the high end. Commissions fall roughly into that same range, simple small 6x9 commissions can cost as low as $100, maybe a portrait or full body 9x12 black and white piece $250, 11x17 black and white $500, color 11x17 $1000, and a gigantic 18x24 full color detailed wall power monstrosity for $3500.
The top end for commissions is lower than the top end for published work. The more popular an artist, the more you can expect to pay for their art, whether it is a commission or published work. But sometimes even super popular artists will have affordable work available; Mike Mignola will bring along some pencil pieces and odds and ends with him to the few cons he appears at, Dustin Nguyen frequently has cheapish sketches on his webstore, Felix will often have cool little sketches available from the artists he reps.

What do I do with it once I have it?

Portfolios like an Itoya are a good way to keep your art safe. They come in various sizes, stack up nice.
I am a big fan of getting my work framed and slapping it up on my walls. On the cheaper end, you can pick up frames from any old store, if you do that; keep your art out of the sun. On the higher end, getting custom framing can make the pieces pop, get them behind UV glass, have a sturdy heirloom that will last decades.

And now some art from my collection! Many more to come in the future. Imgur got mad at me.

Eric Powell Goon page, I have a few others from him. He has a Patreon and a self managed site, reasonably priced pages from time to time, no commissions.

Pepe Larraz Apocalypse! His rep is Artcolohics, based in Europe. I initially missed the small list, but still sent an inquiry to them. A couple of buyers flaked on paying and I got on the list! Insanity.

Ian Betram Hulk and Thanos portraits. Felix is Ian's rep, there was a huge drop with like 15 of this portraits. Those are on 18x24 pieces of paper! At the framer now.

Evan Dorkin fun little sketch cards. He has a Patreon with some opportunities, and he'll do these random drawn lottery sales on Instagram from time to time, lucky enough to win a couple of those.

Rod Reis Mr Sinister, a commission through Essential Sequential. He was on the con circuit last year. A few size options available.

Crow from Matteo Scalera! Also got an insane color Hulk piece from the same list. Also via Essential Sequential, and he has tons of pages there too.

Man Bat from Maria Wolf Lopez. This came from the Things Are Getting Sketchy Facebook group, they have a small group of artists that do live streams, they draw and auction later, or do real time coaster commissions.

A James Harren Artist's Choice commission through Felix, only prompt was that it was Kirby Cosmic inspired. Missed out on his latest list, but luckily I have a few Harren pieces, including the second pic, a little Ultra Mega inspired monster.

Destiny by Mike Huddleston and Death by Sanford Greene, also through Felix. Felix does plenty of full fledged, detailed commission opportunities for his artists, but this latest con year he had a lot of cheaper quicker lists, and these were part of those offerings.

Man Thing by Matt Lesniewski, via Inky Knuckles. Amazing! Got another commission coming through his recent Zoop campaign.

Surfer and Galactus by Grim WIlkins, bought directly through a Twitter DM, happened to catch it right when it was posted.

Gil-Galad and Elendil vs Sauron by Bruno Seelig through Inky Knuckles. Great design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Some more of the newer pieces in my collection for everyone to enjoy on this crispy Christmas Eve.

This is a cool Rorschach commission by Tyler Bence through Inky Knuckles. He included a ton of his backup work on designing the piece, a good look at how the sausage gets made.

A couple of birthday gifts, Penguin and a horror anthology cover, both by Vladyslav Legostaev through Inky Knuckles. These are on the less expensive side, goes to show that you can get great, detailed work without paying a huge premium.

Nimrod by Andrew MacLean, of Headlopper fame, through Felix. Another con sketch made available online, quick turnaround.

Another kick rear end James Harren piece through Felix.

Headlopper by James Stokoe, through Cadence. Supposed to be a 6x9, which is what the little interior box is. Some artists definitely go above and beyond.

Painted Wolf and Crow by Keyla Valerio on Cadence. She does some cover art, colors really pop.

A Strange Places themed Hellboy commission by Artyom Trakhanov, via his Patreon. Awesome style, this was in the mail to me as he was skedaddling out of Russia.

Conan by Cary Nord, artist of the classic Conan run written by Busiek, through Essential Sequential. A lot of times I like to have artists do pieces of characters they don't normally work on, but in this case I wanted a classic piece by an artist that knows the character very well.

Bride of Frankenstein and Ahsoka by Chris Uminga, direct from artist. Chris was my original gateway into buying original art years ago. Went from buying prints of his at the first big convention I went to, following him on Instagram and Twitter, getting some daily sketches and smaller original works, then a few commissions, then branching out to other artists.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Heads up about a cool, relatively inexpensive commission opportunity for Tom Fowler through Cadence. 11x17 cover quality (packed full of details) for $475.00. Tomorrow at noon PST. You give him a single character without any other prompts and he goes to town with it. He has a bunch of recently finished commissions of his Instagram for more examples of his style.

I got on his last list with an Arishem the Judge piece, came out excellent.

https://twitter.com/CadenceComicArt/status/1614687269746769926?s=20&t=-U7KMBUsRgoSxyULLXSxWQ

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Oh wow. I haven't looked at BSS in a while but wandered in tonight. I'll have to put a highlight reel or something together since the last thread died.... Here's a couple pieces that I happen to have on my phone.

Artgerm - Lady Loki - I think artgerm is a over valued, but couldn't turn this one down.

Greg Ruth - Dr. Strange. I normally don't get movie likenesses, but Greg does DVD case art for Criterion, and movie posters, so why not. This piece is all done in pencil.

Greg Tocchini - I just asked for a space scene, and this is what I got.

Dike Ruan - Constantine - This was an NYCC commission.

Peach Momoko - Desire - Another NYCC commission. Considering all the drama around flippers at her table, I feel real lucky to have gotten on her list and was able to get some original art from her.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Ah man, Dike Ruan and especially Peach Momoko are definitely up on my list of folks who I would love to get pieces from. My local con (Rose City) hasn't had too many big artists come the last couple of years, but just today the announced Peach as a guest this year. So fingers crossed she will have a list and I can land a spot.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Bachtere posted:

Ah man, Dike Ruan and especially Peach Momoko are definitely up on my list of folks who I would love to get pieces from. My local con (Rose City) hasn't had too many big artists come the last couple of years, but just today the announced Peach as a guest this year. So fingers crossed she will have a list and I can land a spot.

Travel is opening back up, so hopefully you get your chance. Dike was at NYCC this year, so maybe he'll travel more. His art dealer (Kirby Comic Art) gets pieces regularly as well.

Peach is super hot right now, so good luck. I managed to snag a commission years ago as well. Hopefully she has a better time at RCC than she did at NYCC (not a high bar...)

Here are a couple more pieces

Clayton Henry - mail order commission.

Alex Maleev

Sanya Anwar

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
My favorite was someone’s book(s?) of themed commissions. Basically quickie sketches of the same character by different artists. Like Randy Macho Man Savage was one that stands out to me.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
My latest pieces from 2023:

Gollum by Ian MacEwan. The prompt was "Gollum under the Misty Mountains", and this is what I got. Incredible amount of pen strokes go into his style, the end result is super cool, definitely going to stick out on my wall.

Hellboy by Mike Huddleston. I had a pending color commission from him, but then that got downgraded to black and white, and then I happened to stumble into this piece up for auction at Comic Connect, which looks great.

My two Tom Fowler pieces, Arishem and Fin Fang Foom Family. The Foom pieces was from the commission list in January, amazing turnaround time.

Babylon by Damian Connelly, Tyrant by Jim Towe, both through Cadence. Terrax by Ben Dewey, via Twitter.

A repainted version of Sauron from the 1992 Marvel Masterpieces set by Joe Jusko. Available through a recent Kickstarter, the catch was that the character allocation was random. Could have got Spider-Man, could have got Major Victory. Thankfully I like Sauron, gonna get it framed up to deconstruct the elements of the original card, should look pretty sweet all dolled up.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Oh wow, I remember seeing that Gollum on Twitter, Ian MacEwan is incredible.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
Here are a few of mine.

First is two pages from The Spirit by Darwyn Cooke and J. Bone, purchased through Albert Moy. They still have 114 pages for sale and they're dirt cheap.

One Scott Pilgrim page! I bought this from the Felix guys at Emerald City just as they were launching the company.

'90s Cyclops vs. classic Mr. Sinister by Chris Samnee from Chris Samnee.

My most recent purchase -- '90s Rogue by Joe Quinones from Joe Quinones.

Totoro by Geof Darrow. If you ever see him at a convention, definitely pay him a visit. I spotted his table on my way out of C2E2 2017, and he was selling this and other doodles (or his version of a doodle, anyway) for far, far less than he should have been. I think I got this one for $60.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Those pieces are great. I really should get something by Darwyn. I got a quick sketch from him back in the day (think this was NYCC 2010 or so)

Just recieved this Constantine from Brandon Peterson

Also thought I'd post a couple of pages that I've acquired over the years

Mystic U #1 cover (Pencils only, the colored piece is a print the artist sent with the original art):

A page from World War Hulk:

Infinity Gauntlet:

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 3, 2023

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Neither of these pieces are mine (yet) but Mahmud Asrar has two charity auctions going for Turkey earthquake relief:
Wolverine

Catwoman

Good art for a good cause.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

gninjagnome posted:

Infinity Gauntlet:

Holy moly, this would be a dream piece to own. I'm too impatient, I could never save up enough for a piece like that. There were a couple pages from Thanos Quest up for auction recently, cool to look at from afar at least.

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Neither of these pieces are mine (yet) but Mahmud Asrar has two charity auctions going for Turkey earthquake relief:
Wolverine

Catwoman

Good art for a good cause.

Cool, he doesn't have too many opportunities for pieces like this, hopefully they go for a lot. Lucky enough to get on his last list, he is an artist that you give three selections to and he picks what he feels like doing from those options, the Age of Apocalypse Colossus that he recently posted was his selection from my list of three. I like that there is also a signed Dwight Howard Magic jersey amongst the comic items on that auction page.

Tradd Moore's pages from Doctor Strange: Fall Sunrise are dropping today at 12:00 PM EST/9:00 AM PST at Felix Comic Art for anyone interested. Though, these popular drops have been super glitchy lately, site can't handle the traffic. But there is always a chance you'll sneak in.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Bachtere posted:

Holy moly, this would be a dream piece to own. I'm too impatient, I could never save up enough for a piece like that. There were a couple pages from Thanos Quest up for auction recently, cool to look at from afar at least.

Tradd Moore's pages from Doctor Strange: Fall Sunrise are dropping today at 12:00 PM EST/9:00 AM PST at Felix Comic Art for anyone interested. Though, these popular drops have been super glitchy lately, site can't handle the traffic. But there is always a chance you'll sneak in.

I was very fortunate to pick the page lke 15 years ago for a really good price. No way I'd be able to get it now.

I've kinda given up on the Felix drops as I don't have the energy to try to beat out other buyers, but then again, looking at the the Tradd Moore prices, it probably doesn't matter...

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 27, 2023

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Oh man, I saw those prices and just stared. Good for Tradd, but drat, makes me even more bummed that I wasn't able to grab a Silver Surfer Black page.

I also had a sticker shock when I saw how much yesterday's Pepe Larraz 11x17 commissions were. Roughly $4500, again, good for him, but definitely out of my price range.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
^^ Same here. At least those commissions were cover quality watercolors, but I'm hoping he'll come back later on with something cheaper.

Here's another one of mine -- a splash page from Star Wars by Stuart Immonen and Wade VonGrawbadger (purchased from Albert Moy, I think):

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Just a heads up that Comic Art Live is having their spring virtual convention/art show.

https://www.comicartfans.com/comicartlive/

Mix of dealers, reps, artists, and fans selling pieces. Commission opportunities as well. Cool just to browse and see what is out there, how much some cool classic pieces could run you. I picked up a cool Rod Reis Phoenix piece:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Got an Andy MacDonald page from Doctor Strange #1 in the mail today!

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Just got this in the mail today - original art from She-hulk end credits.

Was super lucky to be given the opportunity to get this one from a dealer, even if it blew out my budget for the year. Just got my NYCC tickets for this year too...

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 6, 2023

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

gninjagnome posted:

Was super lucky to be given the opportunity to get this one from a dealer, even if it blew out my budget for the year. Just got my NYCC tickets for this year too...

Oh wow, that looks amazing! I would love to have a Kagan McLeod original piece

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Got an Andy MacDonald page from Doctor Strange #1 in the mail today!

Pages look so cool fully inked like that.

gninjagnome posted:

This is so awesome.

A local gallery, Nucleus Portland, has a coaster art show every year called Salut. Dozens of artists, hundreds of coasters, super cool to see in person if you are in town when it is up. Same low price for all artists. We've bought pieces from the show in the past, mostly online. This year we went in person, got there early because there was a comic artist whose coasters I wanted to make sure I got. Finally got to pick up the pieces yesterday.

Bill freaking Sienkiewicz. No fanfare, Bill didn't even share these online, post that he was going to be part of the show, when the gallery was posting pics of the completed coasters they never showed his pieces. Makes me wonder how many random small galleries in the country have something like this tucked away.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I made the same face as Klarion when this came in the mail today.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Nice! Loved that miniseries.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Irving draws the best faces.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Back in mid-2020 Mirko Colak was offering commissions and I asked for Modesty Blaise. She got a little banged up in the post from Serbia, but I really like how everything turned out.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kevin Smith's selling off all his original comic art.

https://twitter.com/MattWagnerComic/status/1696908275617571036?s=20

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

How the absolute gently caress have I missed this thread for almost a year?

HOOOO BOY!!!! Let's ride.

I'm gonna start with probably my fave thing since the last thread, having artists draw me some Rally Vincents.

Chrissie Zullo and Peach Momoko

Chrissie is obviously an old thread fave and just a solid choice for anything. She's starting to get her prices to where she belongs so I haven't been getting as many pieces from her but this one is good.

Peach is obviously Peach but I found her before she got big. Bang up job. I wish she still did DesignerCon.

Rian Gonzales and Bengal

Rian has really exploded recently doing a bunch of poo poo for Marvel including a whole line of cards in Marvel Snap (Peach has also done a bunch of Snap variants too). Her color use is incredible and she nails the expression here.

Her husband Bengal is also absolutely exceptional. His line work here is phenomenal and he creates a whole environment with just a couple strokes.

Edwin Huang

Vanesa Del Rey

Leslie Hung

Mirka Andolfo

Wes Craig

Marcio Takara

Nathan Fox

Saowee

Rebekah Isaacs

Dani

I'll probably post more tonight or tomorrow but I've got like a seriously long time of art I've picked up since this thread was last around.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

RevKrule posted:

How the absolute gently caress have I missed this thread for almost a year?

HOOOO BOY!!!! Let's ride.

Nice to see you found the thread! Gonna have to get off my butt and actually post some more Not sure if I ever posted this, but here's what Chrisse Zullo's commissions looked like when she first started in comics (this was in 2010, after she did an issue of Madame Xanadu...)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Luana Vecchio's NYCC list opens up next week for mailorder. She does good stuff. I feel like she's on the verge of exploding hardcore.
Here's a Savage Land Rogue I commissioned from her:

And a Magik that I picked up from her art dealer.

Cadence is opening a bunch of NYCC lists (all are available for mailing) next week. No one steal my spot on Valerio Schiti's list ok.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

The Cadence NYCC List (+ shipping) event started today at noon EST. Today is Erica D'Urso and Gavin Guidry in about (at time of posting) 30 minutes. Two new artists every weekday for the next two weeks:
https://cadenceselect.bigcartel.com/category/commissions

First week schedule:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The more I collect, the more I like Cadence.

Their collection of artists is a great selection of top tier in demand, up and comers, and new talent. The agent team are incredibly responsive and some of the best I've dealt with. Their website is easily navigable. Most of all though, I appreciate they list commission prices clearly and concisely and before they go on sale.

Dealing with a lot of dealers is exhausting for that last point. It's like some mysterious secret you have to solve riddles for some dealers to get prices. I'm sorry that I don't have an unlimited fount of money I can pull from when an artist opens up their list but I'd prefer not to waste anyone's time having to send me a price list only for it to start way outside of what I want to spend.

There are a few artists I'll try and get on their lists at almost any price so I still deal with other dealers but more often than not, I'll try a newer artist at Cadence because of that. Hell, it's a large reason I took a chance on Luana Vecchio and that turned out insanely good.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I've found Cadence to be hit or miss with communication after the sale. I had a commission go over two years, and hit whenever I asked for an update, I only ever got a response half the time. That being said, any commissions that I arranged for conventions were very smooth. I deal a lot with Kirby's Comic Art, and have had good experiences, but they are definitely on the pricier side of things.

Here are a couple pieces:

Zatanna by Miacat (Koren Artist)

Poison Ivy by Simone Di Meo

Constantine by Chris Shehan

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I guess my experience is colored more by going direct to Corey or Andrew or Vinny directly if I have questions at this point. One of them will usually get back to me in a day at worst.

That Ivy is absolutely insane.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
I've had pretty good experiences with all the reps I've dealt with. Cadence has certainly gone above and beyond, but I do purchase quite a bit from them, gotta feed the beast. The Inky Knuckles team and Felix also do a really good job.

An awesome Spider-Man by Fabrizio De Tommaso. This is one of the cases where Cadence did me a solid, I had missed out on his most recent commission lists. Then they had reached to see if I was interested in getting on any lists for a con, I saw Fabrizio was listed, through his name out there knowing that he was too popular too cheat onto a list, and they actually let me hop on. This was supposed to be an 11x17 but it ended up a 15x20. Crazy good.

And my first commission from Fabrizio, a 9x12 Surfer portrait.

Thanos and Death by Tyler Crook, through Cadence. The commission was for a two character piece, it ended up looking like movie poster.

And a little Kamandi inspired cat man piece from Tyler, he had painted it on one of his live streams on Youtube.

My newest Chris Uminga commission, Cosmic Ghost Rider. Following up on the Chrissie Zullo chat from earlier, Chris and Chrissie were my gateway into collecting original art. Got some of their prints at a Wizard Con here in Portland ten years ago, back when I was only buying prints and posters and on demand art. Started following them on Instagram, got into their daily sketches, and that led to a bunch of random pieces from Chris, which led to commissions, and then I was hooked. Chris and Chrissie are the only artists that can put a face to my name. Only have a few Zullo pieces, but I have walls of Uminga's stuff.

Some cool pieces from Inky Knuckles from throughout his year:

Thanos by Matt Allison. Getting this in hand led me to commission the color Fin Fang Foom piece that Matt just completed.

Silver Surfer by Matt Laszlo, just a single character commission, turned into a cover quality piece.

Death Dealer by Brett Parson.

A couple of weird little 5x7 pieces by Matt Allison that survived a con for some reason.

Koshchei the Deathless by Troy Nixey. After commenting on this post on Instagram, we chatted for a bit, he ended up sending me a treatment he wrote for a Baba Yaga film.

Daredevil by Matt Lesniewski. Through his Zoop campaign.

And now for the What Not portion of my collection. The auctions there are very easy to participate in, some good bargains can be had:

Shawn Crytal and Cary Nord sketch cards.

Captain America by Ben Templesmith.

Sabertooth by Cary Nord.

Galactus, a couple of Surfers, and the Joker by Ben Templesmith.

And some Cadence pieces:

Kodos by Richard Pace. Drew it during a live stream, very cool to watch the process live.

Gamora by Letizia Cadonici.

Destiny and Mystique by Francesco Manna.

And a look at the walls of my den. Getting pieces framed and making my own gallery in my house is why I started buying art. Began with one 75% off coupon from Slick Deals for allposters or art.com or whatever, then on demand prints, then posters from Mondo and Bottleneck, then prints, then sketches, then full size pieces and commissions, and pages and covers and fancy commissions.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Holy hell, that's an amazing collection! Someday I want my walls to look like that.

Question about framing for the thread: when the art goes to the edge of the paper and you want to frame it, how do you handle matting?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

That is an insane setup with some absolutely jealousy inducing pieces (I will murder your children for that DWJ Fin Fang Foom page hyperbole just to be clear).

I've worked with some of the artists that Kirby Comic Art has but it was before they were with Kirby. They've got a great selection of artists but they're all way outside my price range at this point. It's kinda like Felix. I like Felix and he's got some great artists, again, some of whom I've worked with in the past, but at Felix there's an insane overinflation on price of a lot of the pieces. I want to be very clear here though, I'm not saying artists should lower their prices, nor should they not work with Felix or Kirby, just that since some of them have started working with those dealers, I've been priced out of continued work with them. Felix's drops sell out instantly a lot of times so who am I to say they need to lower their prices anyway.

Anyway, Mirka posted a new pic this morning that I'm 99% sure is the evolved version of an OC of hers I picked up at SDCC. When I bought it she said she was going to do something with the character in the near future and I didn't think too much about it, I liked the vibe too much to pass it up anyway. Here's what I picked up, you can check her twitter to see what I think is the updated version.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Holy hell, that's an amazing collection! Someday I want my walls to look like that.

Question about framing for the thread: when the art goes to the edge of the paper and you want to frame it, how do you handle matting?

You can float it on top of a mat. And then you have the option of just pressing the art against the glass to give a flat appearance like the Mole Man triptych or hinge it and let it rise above the mat, like the Silver Surfer Tommaso piece.

And then there is a third fancy option. Float it, and then have a raised mat around it to give it a little baby shadow box appearance. I only have one piece like that but it looks pretty cool.

Bachtere fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 12, 2023

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

RevKrule posted:

That is an insane setup with some absolutely jealousy inducing pieces (I will murder your children for that DWJ Fin Fang Foom page hyperbole just to be clear).

That was the first drop where I had a technique going in that was more than blindly searching for a page by looking at the screen. Nothing fancy, just doing a find for the issue and page in the formatting that Felix uses on his shop, but it worked for that and the Step By bloody Step and Ghost Cage pages.

But with DWJs prices now, I’m super stoked I was able to pick that up. Recently I also won one of his prints on an unboxing stream that had a little remarque of Vader on it.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Bachtere posted:

You can float it on top of a mat. And then you have the option of just pressing the art against the glass to give a flat appearance like the Mole Man triptych or hinge it and let it rise above the mat, like the Silver Surfer Tommaso piece.

And then there is a third fancy option. Float it, and then have a raised mat around it to give it a little baby shadow box appearance. I only have one piece like that but it looks pretty cool.

Floats is definitely the way to go. A good framing place should be able to use archival glues/techniques if that's a concern for you. As Bachtere said, you can mat it or just pick a color for the background, although my understanding is you do want to avoid having the picture right up against the glass though, so if you don't mat it, you should use spacers -

Here one I had doe without matting with a basic black background:

And here's one with matting - in this case, I matched the back board with the mat, and had the framer color the mat cut that is usually white to gold to match the frame:

RevKrule posted:

I've worked with some of the artists that Kirby Comic Art has but it was before they were with Kirby. They've got a great selection of artists but they're all way outside my price range at this point. It's kinda like Felix. I like Felix and he's got some great artists, again, some of whom I've worked with in the past, but at Felix there's an insane overinflation on price of a lot of the pieces. I want to be very clear here though, I'm not saying artists should lower their prices, nor should they not work with Felix or Kirby, just that since some of them have started working with those dealers, I've been priced out of continued work with them. Felix's drops sell out instantly a lot of times so who am I to say they need to lower their prices anyway.

Yeah, I totally get it - pricing is just high across the board these days. Great for the artists, but not so good for my wallet. The dealers play a factor, but I also think the industry has moved from commissions as something to do for the fans to a income stream for the artists. I'd like to get back to looking for newer/up and coming artists that are more reasonable priced. We'll see how NYCC goes.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Here's something cool I did - over a few years, I commissioned Zu Orzu to do one of each of the Endless.

It doesn't show up well, but each frame is actually the same wood and color, but the framers rubbed colored wax into the frame to add some highlights. Probably the most apparent difference if you look at Destiny (white) versus Desire (red). Made for pretty great wall in my guest bedroom until I turned it into a room for my daughter. Need to figure out where to put them now, lol. It's neat to see the evolution in her commissions over time as well - Dream was first, and Destruction was last.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 12, 2023