Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

gninjagnome posted:

Here's something cool I did - over a few years, I commissioned Zu Orzu to do one of each of the Endless.

It doesn't show up well, but each frame is actually the same wood and color, but the framers rubbed colored wax into the frame to add some highlights. Probably the most apparent difference if you look at Destiny (white) versus Desire (red). Made for pretty great wall in my guest bedroom until I turned it into a room for my daughter. Need to figure out where to put them now, lol. It's neat to see the evolution in her commissions over time as well - Dream was first, and Destruction was last.

That's a great looking set. And yeah, once you start putting art up on your walls, you always have to be thinking about where you can fit more art. Every time I walk into a new house, or see a picture of someone's bare rear end walls, I'm absolutely judging them like the scene in Fight Club when Ed Norton and Brad Pitt get onto the bus.

A few more of my own walls:

By my PC. Skottie Young Spaceboy, Dustin Nguyen TMNT, Megan Hutchinson Hellboy, Dave Rapoza sketch, cat Hela by Ben Dewey. First edition prints from the Free Darko book. A cool piece by artist Alfred Liu, we have quite a few good galleries here in Portland, I've expanded my collecting to a lot of non-comic related art as well. Those two Dr. Seuss looking busts are by artist Valency Genis.

Our stairwell with a ton of posters and my two Alex Maleev originals.

Another view inside the stairwell, two Do The Right Thing original pieces by Chris Visions. Spike Lee had actually commented on Chris's post wanting to buy these, but I had already snagged them.

Gandalf vs Balrog by Ben Templesmith, Koshchei by Matias Bergara, Drizzt by Ben Dewey, Man Thing by Matt Lesniewski, and Moon Knight by Damian Connelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Renting an apartment is the number one reason my walls aren't absolutely flooded with all the art I own. Framing price is two and ADHD is three.

Anyway, this is the longest I ever waited for a commission (the better part of a decade). I'm not gonna go into full details on it other than to say that any time I hit Jeff up asking questions about the status, he would respond and I'm very happy with the result.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
Got a few new ones.

First is an artist proof from X-Terminators #2 by Carlos Gomez. Purchased through ComixArtConnect, who has really amazing customer service. I told them I needed this before I left town in a week, and it was in my hands two days later.

A Scarecrow watercolor commission by Rich Woodall. An impulse-buy at Rose City Comic Con.

One spicy 80s Rogue commission by ML Sanapo. Also an impulse-buy at Rose City Comic Con.

Major Kira and Ensign Ro Laren commission by Caitlin Yarsky, purchased through Cadence.

And last, but certainly not least, I presented Star Trek actor Jess Bush with a blank sketch cover to be autographed. She drew me a Gorn.

Also, FYI, artist Ethan Young opened his commission list earlier this week. The list closes on 10/31, and he does really amazing work, especially for what he's charging.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I rearranged my art and got a couple new things framed, so I thought I'd throw it all in one post.

Sandy Carruthers, from Men In Black V.2 #2

Frazer Irving, from Klarion #2

Juan Ferrerya, from our "Infinite Fury" story in ASM Annual #2

Craig Yeung's inks over Joey Vazquez's digital pencils from our Daughters of the Dragon #2

Djibril Morrissette-Phan from our story in Alpha Flight: True North

Andy McDonald, from our backup in Doctor Strange #1

Some Sheldon Vella pages that we did together- a bit of juvenalia from like 2006, and then the first page I ever got paid for from X-Men: Serve and Protect #4

A Frasier portrait commission from my friend Andrew Clarke's kickstarter

A Jeff Smith sketch on the back of a bookmark my brother had done for me

A Darwyn Cooke sketch from when he was doing them for free at a Halifax book fair in the fall of 2006

Jeff Laubenstein concept sketches from a Battletech supplement (I really wanted something he had done for Shadowrun, but no luck and this is almost as good)

A weirdly distorted view of my office wall with all of my treasures.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

A weirdly distorted view of my office wall with all of my treasures.

An excellent looking wall, like the staggered approach with the mostly consistent frames/matting.

While we're doing updates, my last few acquisitions:

Go Emperor Doom, picked it up from him at Rose City. Very cool and reasonably priced given who he is, and how infrequently he opens commission lists.

A little Hulk sketch card from Ron Garney at Rose City. I've been too trigger happy on commissions, didn't have a super huge budget at the con for anything really, but it was nice to pick up a piece from him, loved his Surfer and Captain America runs at Marvel from years back.

Storm by Kelly WIlliams from the Things Are Getting Sketchy Facebook group. Every thing they create on there goes for far too little, worth checking out.

Fin Fang Foom by Lucca Pizzari through Cadence. Single character commission, went the extra mile, ended up being pretty unique for my collection.

Fin Fang Foom by Mike Huddleston through Felix. This was the oldest commission on my list, about three and a half years old by the time it got finished. Originally was supposed to be color, and he actually started working on it in color, but then he appeared to have got a bit of color stage fright and he down graded all of his pieces to B&W.

Spidey and Venom by Stephen Green through Felix's SDFC. I saw Stephen at a local TFAW signing a few weeks back, we were chatting about collecting art and he mentioned he would be interested in seeing some of my collection, so I hauled a couple of my portfolios to Rose City and he and Steve Lieber were looking through them, very cool to see them enjoying other artist's work in that way. I also got on Stephen's latest list with a Wolverine/Silver Samurai piece, which is right up his alley, should be awesome.

Sgt. Cantrell by Sanford Greene through Felix. Little 4.5"x6" sketch, but came out great.

Firelord by Marcio Takara through Felix. Great take on the character.

DWJ print with Vader remarque I won on one of Felix's unboxing live streams.

First commission from The Green Room, a new rep based in Europe, Captain America by David López. Great communication on the commission, very well packaged. For their Greentober daily art drops they offered their news letter subscribers a chance to claim a spot with a specific character on the list, not knowing who the artist is. I picked Namor gambling that Namor would be a good fit for Pepe Larraz's single piece.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

NYCC is about a week away! I've got a bunch of commissions lined up already. Just got a preview of my Steve Defendini Delirium:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Finally got an original piece from Jock and I really like it. I regret not getting the DPS he did for Detective Comics years ago (it was really cheap at the time since it had no "characters") but this is still very good and I'm very happy.

I have a few pieces from Jasmin Darnell coming but uhhhh....their SFW-ness is in extreme question so I may not post them when I get them.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

RevKrule posted:

I have a few pieces from Jasmin Darnell coming but uhhhh....their SFW-ness is in extreme question so I may not post them when I get them.

Same and, uh, same. I think maybe two of mine might be okay to post when they arrive.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

NYCC was packed for a Thursday. Worried what the rest of the week will be like. I still managed to get through a pass of artist alley picked up most of my art that I had pre-commissioned!

I almost immediately blew my budget with this Dustin Nguyen Scarlet Witch Cover. I've been a fan of Dustin for years, and he's always super fun to talk to. Glad he's finally back!

Picked up another Delirium from Janet Lee:

Pre-commissioned She-hulk from Luca Maresca:

Constantine by Seth Adams:

Mystique by Elia Bonetti

Doctor Strange - by Marco Failla

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

gninjagnome posted:

NYCC was packed for a Thursday. Worried what the rest of the week will be like.

Yeah, it was very weirdly busy for Thursday, Saturday will likely be totally shithouse.

Was given some really lovely gifts by artists I've worked with: a page from Moon Knight #25 by Alessandro Cappuccio, and a page from Extreme Venomverse #3 by Danny Earls.

If anyone is at NYCC, stop in to chat with Danny, he's a delight.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

gninjagnome posted:

I almost immediately blew my budget with this Dustin Nguyen Scarlet Witch Cover. I've been a fan of Dustin for years, and he's always super fun to talk to. Glad he's finally back!

I think if I only collected Dustin's stuff I would be perfectly content and it would look super cool on the walls.

How much busier is a big con like New York compared to a lesser one like Rose City? I tend to go to Rose City at opening, power walk the floor for a few hours, and then leave before things get crowded. Is that even possible in a con like this? I'd love to go in the future to both see the city and have some opportunities for commissions I wouldn't have in Portland.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Bachtere posted:

I think if I only collected Dustin's stuff I would be perfectly content and it would look super cool on the walls.

How much busier is a big con like New York compared to a lesser one like Rose City? I tend to go to Rose City at opening, power walk the floor for a few hours, and then leave before things get crowded. Is that even possible in a con like this? I'd love to go in the future to both see the city and have some opportunities for commissions I wouldn't have in Portland.

It depends but mostly it can be relatively easy to walk the whole artist area at a larger con but it depends on a lot more factors. I do WonderCon every year on top of SDCC and the difference is miles. I do 1, maybe 2 days of WonderCon and the second day is usually only if I need to return for a commission. SDCC can take multiple days to access artists, between just crowds, wanting to see other things and general busyness of the artist.

If there's someone you know goes to smaller cons, it's better to try and get them there but sometimes yeah, they only hit one of the majors and that makes it a lot harder.

However, I've noticed a lot more reps are willing to mail out pieces. Almost all of Cadence's artists do mail commissions at this point. I'm trying Scott's this year for an Inhyuk Lee piece from NYCC so I'll see how that goes but they seemed very willing to ship. Felix, Essential and Comic Sketch all ship too. Best advice I can give it just sign up for the newsletter of the rep for whatever artist you're looking for and hit them up before a major appearance to see if they're willing to ship.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I think you could do the NYCC AA in a day if you dedicated yourself to it, and weren't picky, or trying to get specific artists. I was able to hit all the rows in artist alley over around 5 hours on Thursday just walking and browsing Artists Alley while doing my pre-con commission pick-ups. I have been going to NYCC for over a 15 years, so I tend to focus on my favorites, and new folks - there's a pretty decent number of regulars I just ignore now. I also did not do anything anything this year that required me to wait in line. Once you factor in specific artist's policies, it can start to chew up a lot of time - especially for the big name artists that aren't at there tables all the time. For example, you have to wait in line for pieces by Olivier Copiel - no lists, so you could be waiting there all day or Adam Hughes was only sketching at specific times, so you might need to get there early.

Anyways, here are my last pick ups from Saturday and Sunday:

Kate Bishop by Paul Azaceta - almost missed this one because I accidently marked my notes that I picked it up. Luckily I decided to post in this thread and realized my mistake!

Mystique by Simone DiMeo - one of my new favorite artist of the last few years.

Ro (from The Me You Love in the Dark) by Jorge Corona - First time at NYCC this year, and seemed like a super nice guy. I love the stuff that he's been working on with Skottie Young. He said this was the first Ro he was commissioned, which I found to be interesting.

Maestro #1 page by Germain Peralta - thought this was a great sequence, and has MODOK on it as a bonus!

I always attend the charity art auction to support St. Jude Children's Hospital. Prices were high this year, but they were aiming to hit $90K in donations this year so they could hit $1,000,000 raised for St. Jude over 13 years. The auction was supposed to go from 6-10, and I bailed at 10:30, but apparently they went until midnight and ended up raising $120K, which is just a ridiculous amount of money. I manged to snag 2 pieces though:

Harley by Marco Failla

Middlewest page by Jorge Corona:

Overall, pretty good haul for the con.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
This came today; I don't know where I'll put it:

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!
A couple of news ones. First, some Final Fantasy VII characters by Ethan Young. That hatching!

Second, Ramona Flowers by David Lafuente, from Green Room's Greentober event. I think it's my favorite thing he's ever made.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug

Minister of Sound posted:

A couple of news ones. First, some Final Fantasy VII characters by Ethan Young. That hatching!

Second, Ramona Flowers by David Lafuente, from Green Room's Greentober event. I think it's my favorite thing he's ever made.

The Greentober pieces all came out really well, they were all pretty flushed out. Here is my Namor by Angel Unzueta:

And some more recent pieces:

Fin Fang Foom by Matt Allison via Inky:

A very stylized She Hulk versus Iron Man by James Harren:

Venom by Eric Canete from Essential Sequential's Whatnot stream:

Some more Chris Uminga pieces:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Got one piece from NYCC this year. Trying to do a little recovery financially and I have a bunch of money out already for other commissions I'm waiting for so I went light. We'll see how next year goes.

Anyway, here's a Psylocke from InHyuk Lee.

Like I said earlier, I got some Jasmine Darnell's I'm gonna try and censor a little bit, or just upload and link later.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Double posting because I've been looking for this to post for a couple weeks now. Fabio Moon just absolutely knocks everything out of the park. Fitting S'ym and N'astirh in to go full classic Inferno on this was icing on the cake for me.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I got three Jasmin Darnell pieces recently: a cover, a random drawing, and a commission. Even censored, the only one I feel comfortable posting inline is the cover, from Godkiller (which I haven't read, but does seem to have a cool look).

The gallery with all three is here for anyone interested, I covered actual nudity, but still probably NSFW.
:nws: https://imgur.com/a/5OBvwSW :nws:

I absolutely jumped on her commission list when she opened it a few days ago, so hopefully I'll have another for the collection in a couple of months.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Aww, I missed her opening up her commission list which on the one hand I'm sad for but on the other hand, very happy I missed since I'm trying to save money.

I still have one piece of hers I'm waiting on which is much more SFW than the others I got so I'll be posting that when it shows up.

Also imgur went prude mode a little while ago so the ones you posted got deleted before I had a chance to see which ones you got :(

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

RevKrule posted:

Aww, I missed her opening up her commission list which on the one hand I'm sad for but on the other hand, very happy I missed since I'm trying to save money.

I still have one piece of hers I'm waiting on which is much more SFW than the others I got so I'll be posting that when it shows up.

Also imgur went prude mode a little while ago so the ones you posted got deleted before I had a chance to see which ones you got :(

That's so annoying about imgur, how about this one? (Also, if anyone knows of other, better images hosts, please let me know)
:nws: https://ibb.co/album/jJ6K9V :nws:

I'm looking forward to seeing what you got from her when it comes in

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Merry Holidays to me.

Ranni the Witch from Elden Ring by Jasmin Darnell. Matches well with a Chrissie Zullo one I have that I'll post later after I find it.

Madelyne Pryor from Luanna Vecchio. Fastly becoming a very favorite artist. Up thread are a couple other examples I have of hers. Read Lovesick.

Here's the Jasmin Darnell pieces I got earlier and forgot to upload.
:nws::nws::nws::nws:

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 18, 2023

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Pepe Larraz's TMNT piece from The Green Room's Greentober releases.

And from a more recent Pepe Larraz drop at The Green Room, this Thor & Odin pinup. Between these two pieces and my little Apocalypse portrait from Pepe, I've got a nice little collection of his going on.

Apocalypse and Age of Apocalypse Colossus from Mahmud Asrar. Spanning two different NYCC lists, he had forgotten to sign the Colossus and it took a half a year to get to me.

Jack Sabbath by Tyler Crook, a birthday present.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I've been spending a lot on commission recently so for Xmas and my birthday, I bought a couple internal pages.

From Spider-Gwen by Bengal

I love Bengal. He does an exceptional job of creating great lived in worlds with minimal pen strokes. Just a fantastic artist.

From Deadpool Black White and Red by James Stokoe

On the other side, I love James Stokoe because he's so incredible at a maximal level. I'd love a commission from him and seriously almost pulled the trigger last time he was offering but getting past that 4 digit mental barrier is hard.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 23, 2024

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Cross-posted in the Winter Chat thread:

Yesterday I went to the first-ever Original Art Expo in Orlando, Florida, which is a small convention completely devoted to comic book artists and art dealers. It was nice, because it wasn't crowded with cosplayers, Funko Pops, "nerd crafts," and C-list celebrities, but just a small crowd who loves the art of comics.

I got to meet my all-time favorite artist, Mike Allred, and his lovely wife and colorist Laura. I lugged a bunch of their comics that they patiently signed for free while chatting with me and a few other people in line, and they even let me take a photo with them. This was their first-ever convention appearance in Florida, and I've been waiting to meet them since discovering his work in the mid-'90s. They could not have been cooler or more charming. I just wish I could have afforded some original Allred art, but the cheapest, smallest pieces were "only" in the $400 - $500 range.

Then I got a Daredevil hardcover signed by father-and-son penciller/inker team Paolo and Joe Rivera, got Greg Land to sign my Birds of Prey #1 (from before his porn-tracing era), and visited two other artists I've met at previous cons for a few more signatures: Booster Gold creator Dan Jurgens and Matt Wagner, master of all things pulp and noir.

Wagner was kind enough to sketch some remarques in my Batman/Grendel trade paperback and my custom-bound Sandman Mystery Theatre hardcover books:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

So jealous you can go. I was getting jealous of some of the art coming out the con that I was seeing on social media. Glad to see it did well for its first year!

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Huh - apparently, there is a max exodus of artists leaving Cadence Comic Art. Poking around some of the OA forums, no real information as to why.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Yeah, it’s strange that there is absolutely nothing specific. Seems there was either a) theft or b) morally horrible things happening. But you’d think someone would feel comfortable spilling the beans if either of those were true. It does appear that Andrew and Corey are out, always had good communications with them.

I checked in with Robert Gill, I had gotten on his list not too long ago. I asked him if he had gotten paid, the thought being if he hadn’t I could reverse the charge and pay him directly. But he got back to me, he was paid, so I’m not too concerned about getting my pieces from him or any of the other lists I have open with them. I just got some little Kayla Valerio pieces shipped earlier in January. But who knows, seems everything went south really fast.

Bachtere fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 4, 2024

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I'm glad it seems your commissions are in order. I'd be worried if I had anything open at the moment. Still just a lot of rumors, but I'm guessing it's not good if everyone is being so tight lipped about it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

gninjagnome posted:

Huh - apparently, there is a max exodus of artists leaving Cadence Comic Art. Poking around some of the OA forums, no real information as to why.

I noticed i'm getting worse and worse responses from them lately honestly. The Stokoe page was purchased through them and I put in the inquiry on Dec 21, finally got an invoice request on Dec 28 (ok, fine, holidays and all) but it never even got shipped until like Jan 18. I get holidays and all but it was a little annoying. Meanwhile Essential Sequential put that Bengal page in a box and out the door to me within like 12 hours of me clicking "purchase."

I'd be real interested in knowing what's happening or more information because Cadence was always a fave and was my first direct dealer I worked with.

Here's a Lotay commission I just had shipped from Cadence. I was a little annoyed because all I got was an "item shipped" email with no other info and I thought it was a different commission. Makes a little more sense why the shipping email was so poorly done tho.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Yeah, thinking back, they've been oddly unresponsive to simple things, like requests to combo ship items. In the past they might reach out to me to see if I'd be interested in hopping on new lists, etc. I was watching Tyler Crook's stream this past Friday, he wouldn't say anything about it. It is a bummer, I like a lot of their artists and their rates were very reasonable.

My newest bunch of originals:

Nimrod by Tom Fowler. Great piece, he goes all out. I have a pending Terrax piece from him, one of my favorite C listers.

Scarlet Witch by Dike Ruan. Signed up for Kirby's mailing list after his other smaller B&W pieces were shown, worked out, happened to be staring at my email when her blast with this piece was sent out.

Two little X-Men pieces by Keyla Valerio. I really dig her style, I have an 11x17 painted Frankie Raye Nova piece in the works with her.

My local store is the flagship TFAW in downtown Milwaukie , OR, right next to the Dark Horse offices. So they tend to get a lot of good signings. These are skull doodles by Eric Powell and Becky Cloonan in Four Gathered on Christmas Eve. It is a small format HC, perfect for taking with me to future cons where hopefully I can get the same from James Harren and Mike Mignola (Mike recently posted he won't be going to cons in the future, but hoepfully he'll have some sort of appearances in the future.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Bleeding Cool posted about it. https://bleedingcool.com/comics/comic-book-creators-leaving-cadence-comic-art/

I really want to know what's going on here. I guess Andrew's gone and honestly I've had almost exclusively conversation with him recently.

This is really bad because we've been working over the last year to come up with a replacement solution for a Casagrande commission that got lost in shipping.

Whatever happened is a loving bloodbath because they went from close to 100 repped artists to like 25.

I feel bad not posting art so here's a Rico Renzi original gel pressed cover.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Not sure how posting IG stories works on here (especially after the time is up) but here's something from Zoe Thorogood: https://www.instagram.com/stories/zoethorogood/3295523731160224902?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igsh=NTY3M2p2N2oxczA3

Basically she says she can't do anything about people not getting art they've bought, she doesn't even know what has sold, and she doesn't have possession of any of it. All of which sounds particularly bad.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, this is basically what I'm getting from every artist. No one's saying why they're not with Cadence, just that they aren't and also they have no idea what the inventory situation is for their art because that's why you have an art dealer.

I really hate instagram but I might have to start using it again considering the breadth of loss here. I much prefer(red) Twitter and heavily prefer bluesky now but there's not _quite_ the activity on BS that it's gonna make me go back to IG for getting art.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hate to double post but this is probably the spiciest thing to happen in the world of comic collection in a long time.

Felix had a weekly chat and at least a few industry people and reps were in it and at least some of this is that Cadence was soliciting commissions and not notifying the artist. Some of it's straight up non payment. Artists aren't saying poo poo until their art gets back to them (fair) so it might be months before we get details.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

That's pretty crazy if true. I can sorta see how you could get away with it for a while, especially if you have a rep for delayed or bad communication anyway. Since some artist can take months or years to complete their commissions, it would be pretty easy to keep kicking the can down the road when a customer ask you a question. You could probably keep a bunch of people in the lurch and float a bunch of cash - just need to occasionally refund an irate customer that demands a refund. Feels like it would inevitably collapse, though - people would eventually reach out to artists directly or other staff members, and it would eventually come to light. Which I guess must have happened.

I just can't imagine the amount of money would be worth blowing up your business and reputation for it.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
My partner had a thought: maybe it was under the table stuff that wasn’t communicated to the artists. It would be harder to hide the commission postings on the webpage from the artists.

I sent out my emails/Instagram DMs to the artists I have open commissions with. Good responses so far, one interesting (and good) note from an artist: even though they aren’t with the company any more, Andrew and Corey are helping this artist with their open commission list, maybe helping to coordinate the shipping of the pieces. So that is good news.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

To me the weird thing is it all just happened so immediately. It's like everyone all at once was like "nah, i'm done" and it makes me think there was something else going on.

I have 2 commissions out with cadence right now, one of which I'll probably never see but worth reaching out about. The other one the artist literally posted about ringing the bell for their last cancer treatment before the weekend and you know, I'm just not the kind of person to harsh that vibe.

I'm probably gonna eat a loss on a Casagrande commission from 2020 tho. It got lost in the mail a year ago and I had been trying to work with Andrew on a satisfying solution (I just want another list spot, I got time, I can wait) and after this, I may as well consider that gone.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Taking a one-off commission might be harder to hide from the artist because a customer might randomly email the artist about it. I figure the easiest way to do it is to take a couple extra names when a list opens up. Then you could always claim it was a mistake if called out on it. If two people commissioned the same character, it'd be even easier to hide - if an artist doesn't have customer names and they were contacted directly, they'd just make an assumption about what you are referring to.

It could be non-commission related, too. Selling pages and pocketing the money without telling the artist would be pretty easy since they control the inventory. I could see someone starting to do it when they are in a bind, with the intention to pay them later, and it just snowballing from there.

I'm curious what sort of evidence is available to make everyone jump ship. Is there clear evidence of what happened, or is everyone going by rumor? Seems like too many people to not have proof. Makes me think the employees that left uncovered something, but that's pure conjecture.

Edit:

RevKrule posted:

To me the weird thing is it all just happened so immediately. It's like everyone all at once was like "nah, i'm done" and it makes me think there was something else going on.

Yeah, it's really strange. My wife compared it to a bank run.

The funniest thing to me is that someone is updating the artist list on the website. The business is collapsing, but it's someone's job, and they are going to do it right! Or they are just being snakry...

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Double posting - This isn't mine, but someone on another board posted this from Adi Granov - doesn't call out Cadence by name, but it heavily implies a bunch of stuff...

Also feel bad not posting any art, so here's Simone DiMeo Shazam cover I recently acquired: