Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

How the absolute gently caress have I missed this thread for almost a year?

HOOOO BOY!!!! Let's ride.

I'm gonna start with probably my fave thing since the last thread, having artists draw me some Rally Vincents.

Chrissie Zullo and Peach Momoko

Chrissie is obviously an old thread fave and just a solid choice for anything. She's starting to get her prices to where she belongs so I haven't been getting as many pieces from her but this one is good.

Peach is obviously Peach but I found her before she got big. Bang up job. I wish she still did DesignerCon.

Rian Gonzales and Bengal

Rian has really exploded recently doing a bunch of poo poo for Marvel including a whole line of cards in Marvel Snap (Peach has also done a bunch of Snap variants too). Her color use is incredible and she nails the expression here.

Her husband Bengal is also absolutely exceptional. His line work here is phenomenal and he creates a whole environment with just a couple strokes.

Edwin Huang

Vanesa Del Rey

Leslie Hung

Mirka Andolfo

Wes Craig

Marcio Takara

Nathan Fox

Saowee

Rebekah Isaacs

Dani

I'll probably post more tonight or tomorrow but I've got like a seriously long time of art I've picked up since this thread was last around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Luana Vecchio's NYCC list opens up next week for mailorder. She does good stuff. I feel like she's on the verge of exploding hardcore.
Here's a Savage Land Rogue I commissioned from her:

And a Magik that I picked up from her art dealer.

Cadence is opening a bunch of NYCC lists (all are available for mailing) next week. No one steal my spot on Valerio Schiti's list ok.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The more I collect, the more I like Cadence.

Their collection of artists is a great selection of top tier in demand, up and comers, and new talent. The agent team are incredibly responsive and some of the best I've dealt with. Their website is easily navigable. Most of all though, I appreciate they list commission prices clearly and concisely and before they go on sale.

Dealing with a lot of dealers is exhausting for that last point. It's like some mysterious secret you have to solve riddles for some dealers to get prices. I'm sorry that I don't have an unlimited fount of money I can pull from when an artist opens up their list but I'd prefer not to waste anyone's time having to send me a price list only for it to start way outside of what I want to spend.

There are a few artists I'll try and get on their lists at almost any price so I still deal with other dealers but more often than not, I'll try a newer artist at Cadence because of that. Hell, it's a large reason I took a chance on Luana Vecchio and that turned out insanely good.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I guess my experience is colored more by going direct to Corey or Andrew or Vinny directly if I have questions at this point. One of them will usually get back to me in a day at worst.

That Ivy is absolutely insane.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

That is an insane setup with some absolutely jealousy inducing pieces (I will murder your children for that DWJ Fin Fang Foom page hyperbole just to be clear).

I've worked with some of the artists that Kirby Comic Art has but it was before they were with Kirby. They've got a great selection of artists but they're all way outside my price range at this point. It's kinda like Felix. I like Felix and he's got some great artists, again, some of whom I've worked with in the past, but at Felix there's an insane overinflation on price of a lot of the pieces. I want to be very clear here though, I'm not saying artists should lower their prices, nor should they not work with Felix or Kirby, just that since some of them have started working with those dealers, I've been priced out of continued work with them. Felix's drops sell out instantly a lot of times so who am I to say they need to lower their prices anyway.

Anyway, Mirka posted a new pic this morning that I'm 99% sure is the evolved version of an OC of hers I picked up at SDCC. When I bought it she said she was going to do something with the character in the near future and I didn't think too much about it, I liked the vibe too much to pass it up anyway. Here's what I picked up, you can check her twitter to see what I think is the updated version.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Renting an apartment is the number one reason my walls aren't absolutely flooded with all the art I own. Framing price is two and ADHD is three.

Anyway, this is the longest I ever waited for a commission (the better part of a decade). I'm not gonna go into full details on it other than to say that any time I hit Jeff up asking questions about the status, he would respond and I'm very happy with the result.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Finally got an original piece from Jock and I really like it. I regret not getting the DPS he did for Detective Comics years ago (it was really cheap at the time since it had no "characters") but this is still very good and I'm very happy.

I have a few pieces from Jasmin Darnell coming but uhhhh....their SFW-ness is in extreme question so I may not post them when I get them.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Bachtere posted:

I think if I only collected Dustin's stuff I would be perfectly content and it would look super cool on the walls.

How much busier is a big con like New York compared to a lesser one like Rose City? I tend to go to Rose City at opening, power walk the floor for a few hours, and then leave before things get crowded. Is that even possible in a con like this? I'd love to go in the future to both see the city and have some opportunities for commissions I wouldn't have in Portland.

It depends but mostly it can be relatively easy to walk the whole artist area at a larger con but it depends on a lot more factors. I do WonderCon every year on top of SDCC and the difference is miles. I do 1, maybe 2 days of WonderCon and the second day is usually only if I need to return for a commission. SDCC can take multiple days to access artists, between just crowds, wanting to see other things and general busyness of the artist.

If there's someone you know goes to smaller cons, it's better to try and get them there but sometimes yeah, they only hit one of the majors and that makes it a lot harder.

However, I've noticed a lot more reps are willing to mail out pieces. Almost all of Cadence's artists do mail commissions at this point. I'm trying Scott's this year for an Inhyuk Lee piece from NYCC so I'll see how that goes but they seemed very willing to ship. Felix, Essential and Comic Sketch all ship too. Best advice I can give it just sign up for the newsletter of the rep for whatever artist you're looking for and hit them up before a major appearance to see if they're willing to ship.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Got one piece from NYCC this year. Trying to do a little recovery financially and I have a bunch of money out already for other commissions I'm waiting for so I went light. We'll see how next year goes.

Anyway, here's a Psylocke from InHyuk Lee.

Like I said earlier, I got some Jasmine Darnell's I'm gonna try and censor a little bit, or just upload and link later.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Double posting because I've been looking for this to post for a couple weeks now. Fabio Moon just absolutely knocks everything out of the park. Fitting S'ym and N'astirh in to go full classic Inferno on this was icing on the cake for me.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Aww, I missed her opening up her commission list which on the one hand I'm sad for but on the other hand, very happy I missed since I'm trying to save money.

I still have one piece of hers I'm waiting on which is much more SFW than the others I got so I'll be posting that when it shows up.

Also imgur went prude mode a little while ago so the ones you posted got deleted before I had a chance to see which ones you got :(

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Merry Holidays to me.

Ranni the Witch from Elden Ring by Jasmin Darnell. Matches well with a Chrissie Zullo one I have that I'll post later after I find it.

Madelyne Pryor from Luanna Vecchio. Fastly becoming a very favorite artist. Up thread are a couple other examples I have of hers. Read Lovesick.

Here's the Jasmin Darnell pieces I got earlier and forgot to upload.
:nws::nws::nws::nws:

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 18, 2023

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I've been spending a lot on commission recently so for Xmas and my birthday, I bought a couple internal pages.

From Spider-Gwen by Bengal

I love Bengal. He does an exceptional job of creating great lived in worlds with minimal pen strokes. Just a fantastic artist.

From Deadpool Black White and Red by James Stokoe

On the other side, I love James Stokoe because he's so incredible at a maximal level. I'd love a commission from him and seriously almost pulled the trigger last time he was offering but getting past that 4 digit mental barrier is hard.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 23, 2024

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

gninjagnome posted:

Huh - apparently, there is a max exodus of artists leaving Cadence Comic Art. Poking around some of the OA forums, no real information as to why.

I noticed i'm getting worse and worse responses from them lately honestly. The Stokoe page was purchased through them and I put in the inquiry on Dec 21, finally got an invoice request on Dec 28 (ok, fine, holidays and all) but it never even got shipped until like Jan 18. I get holidays and all but it was a little annoying. Meanwhile Essential Sequential put that Bengal page in a box and out the door to me within like 12 hours of me clicking "purchase."

I'd be real interested in knowing what's happening or more information because Cadence was always a fave and was my first direct dealer I worked with.

Here's a Lotay commission I just had shipped from Cadence. I was a little annoyed because all I got was an "item shipped" email with no other info and I thought it was a different commission. Makes a little more sense why the shipping email was so poorly done tho.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Bleeding Cool posted about it. https://bleedingcool.com/comics/comic-book-creators-leaving-cadence-comic-art/

I really want to know what's going on here. I guess Andrew's gone and honestly I've had almost exclusively conversation with him recently.

This is really bad because we've been working over the last year to come up with a replacement solution for a Casagrande commission that got lost in shipping.

Whatever happened is a loving bloodbath because they went from close to 100 repped artists to like 25.

I feel bad not posting art so here's a Rico Renzi original gel pressed cover.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, this is basically what I'm getting from every artist. No one's saying why they're not with Cadence, just that they aren't and also they have no idea what the inventory situation is for their art because that's why you have an art dealer.

I really hate instagram but I might have to start using it again considering the breadth of loss here. I much prefer(red) Twitter and heavily prefer bluesky now but there's not _quite_ the activity on BS that it's gonna make me go back to IG for getting art.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hate to double post but this is probably the spiciest thing to happen in the world of comic collection in a long time.

Felix had a weekly chat and at least a few industry people and reps were in it and at least some of this is that Cadence was soliciting commissions and not notifying the artist. Some of it's straight up non payment. Artists aren't saying poo poo until their art gets back to them (fair) so it might be months before we get details.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

To me the weird thing is it all just happened so immediately. It's like everyone all at once was like "nah, i'm done" and it makes me think there was something else going on.

I have 2 commissions out with cadence right now, one of which I'll probably never see but worth reaching out about. The other one the artist literally posted about ringing the bell for their last cancer treatment before the weekend and you know, I'm just not the kind of person to harsh that vibe.

I'm probably gonna eat a loss on a Casagrande commission from 2020 tho. It got lost in the mail a year ago and I had been trying to work with Andrew on a satisfying solution (I just want another list spot, I got time, I can wait) and after this, I may as well consider that gone.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Interesting stuff in there. Again, I'm utterly stunned by this situation. Cadence was the first rep I ever purchased from. I've been buying from Paolo, (and later, Corey, Andrew and Vinny) for almost 15 years. They had some of my favorite artists and turned me on to a whole bunch of up and comers. Being upfront about prices and availability so I didn't have to even ask was so good for me.

Also, while you cut it off, Ari's comment on jam pieces is like my number one reason why as much as I want jam pieces, I don't go for them. Just the thought of an artist putting adding a part I'm less than thrilled about is too anxiety inducing for me.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I definitely have had experiences like that with them before where sometimes getting responses sucked. Once they added some new guys, communication definitely got better tho.

The two pages I bought recently (the Bengal Spider-Gwen and the Stokoe Deadpool) felt like night and day experiences though. I "ordered" them on the same day. Within 12 hours I had a shipping notif from Essential Sequential and within a week I had my page. In fact, I had my page for Spider-Gwen before Cadence even acknowledged my request for purchase on the Stokoe page. I thought it was the holidays but it sounds like it might have been more.

It had been forever since I ordered from ES and honestly it was a great experience. The biggest issue I think I have with ES at this point is I used to see Jason all the time at SDCC but it seems like he either stopped going or doesn't work the booth anymore which, in both cases, respect.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I finally reached out to the two artists who I had, let's say unfulfilled, commissions through Cadence. I was apprehensive about contacting both because the first, Suspiria, just finished cancer treatment when everything broke and it seemed ultra lovely and rude to contact her. The second felt even worse to contact because I was working with Cadence about coming up with a solution for art that was lost in delivery to me.

Suspiria it sounds like was still waiting for a list of address from Cadence so she can just ship directly when she finishes so I think she was at least somewhat happy I reached out so she could get my address.

The second artist makes me a lot more upset at Cadence about. When the package was first lost in the mail, my initial solution to Cadence was "just put me at the bottom of their next list" but I was never able to get any traction on this suggestion and their counter was a, while generous amount, credit that honestly wouldn't cover a comparable piece. I was willing to wait until a more generous situation showed up but obviously things exploded. Well, I contacted the artist directly today and while it took a minute to get on the same page (they thought the piece was lost between them and Cadence at first) but the second we did, their first suggestion was EXACTLY what I wanted in the first place, getting put back on their commission list, albeit at the bottom.

I also learned through them that there's really only one person left at Cadence (not naming names but if you know the reps, you can guess) and they aren't even responding to emails from the artists they represented, making the fact that Suspiria was happy to get an address directly from me make a LOT more sense.

Anyway, I also got on Jasmin Darnell's list that she opened a couple weeks ago so I'm very excited for that.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Rian opened her list for the first time in 4 years and I got on it so now I'm very excited for that.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Honestly I thought I had no shot because her rules were really simple (email at time X, any emails before that time were rejected). I gave her a list of Rebecca from Edgerunners, Dagger (of Cloak and), and Faye Valentine. She seems super into doing Rebecca or Faye and asked if she could do either so it'll be one of those two.

Wondercon's next week, I may try and get another Jeff Dekal piece (i guess he took a little bit of a list when he was announced but I didn't get in on that) but beyond that I'm probably gonna just be saving for SDCC. Between getting on Rian and Jasmin's lists and having positive contacts with Suspiria and Elena, I'm pretty psyched about what I have in the pipeline for the next year.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Yup, went ahead with a Jeff Dekal piece. Wasn't my first choice character but I still very much like it.

Also probably my only real pickup this weekend. I have SDCC coming up as probably my next con but I'm not sure if I'll even do anything there. I'm happy with what I have in pipe and not sure who else I want to even try for at this point (that are within my price range).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Recent mail call additions:

Lili from Tekken 8 by Jasmin Darnell
Ok, I've gone heavy into Jasmin's stuff recently but hear me out. The chance to get an original Lili Rochefort from her Tekken 8 costume designer in one of Jasmin's first available A3 sized original pieces for sale was too good to pass up.

Black Queen/White Queen 70s slasher sexploitation poster - Suspiria Vilchez
Got on her list July of last year, she had a bunch of personal stuff happen which delayed this. Then cadence collapsed which further delayed this. It was worth the wait. I love this so much. She said it was her favorite from the most recent batch and I can see why.