Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Oh wow. I haven't looked at BSS in a while but wandered in tonight. I'll have to put a highlight reel or something together since the last thread died.... Here's a couple pieces that I happen to have on my phone.

Artgerm - Lady Loki - I think artgerm is a over valued, but couldn't turn this one down.

Greg Ruth - Dr. Strange. I normally don't get movie likenesses, but Greg does DVD case art for Criterion, and movie posters, so why not. This piece is all done in pencil.

Greg Tocchini - I just asked for a space scene, and this is what I got.

Dike Ruan - Constantine - This was an NYCC commission.

Peach Momoko - Desire - Another NYCC commission. Considering all the drama around flippers at her table, I feel real lucky to have gotten on her list and was able to get some original art from her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Bachtere posted:

Ah man, Dike Ruan and especially Peach Momoko are definitely up on my list of folks who I would love to get pieces from. My local con (Rose City) hasn't had too many big artists come the last couple of years, but just today the announced Peach as a guest this year. So fingers crossed she will have a list and I can land a spot.

Travel is opening back up, so hopefully you get your chance. Dike was at NYCC this year, so maybe he'll travel more. His art dealer (Kirby Comic Art) gets pieces regularly as well.

Peach is super hot right now, so good luck. I managed to snag a commission years ago as well. Hopefully she has a better time at RCC than she did at NYCC (not a high bar...)

Here are a couple more pieces

Clayton Henry - mail order commission.

Alex Maleev

Sanya Anwar

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Those pieces are great. I really should get something by Darwyn. I got a quick sketch from him back in the day (think this was NYCC 2010 or so)

Just recieved this Constantine from Brandon Peterson

Also thought I'd post a couple of pages that I've acquired over the years

Mystic U #1 cover (Pencils only, the colored piece is a print the artist sent with the original art):

A page from World War Hulk:

Infinity Gauntlet:

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 3, 2023

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Bachtere posted:

Holy moly, this would be a dream piece to own. I'm too impatient, I could never save up enough for a piece like that. There were a couple pages from Thanos Quest up for auction recently, cool to look at from afar at least.

Tradd Moore's pages from Doctor Strange: Fall Sunrise are dropping today at 12:00 PM EST/9:00 AM PST at Felix Comic Art for anyone interested. Though, these popular drops have been super glitchy lately, site can't handle the traffic. But there is always a chance you'll sneak in.

I was very fortunate to pick the page lke 15 years ago for a really good price. No way I'd be able to get it now.

I've kinda given up on the Felix drops as I don't have the energy to try to beat out other buyers, but then again, looking at the the Tradd Moore prices, it probably doesn't matter...

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 27, 2023

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Just got this in the mail today - original art from She-hulk end credits.

Was super lucky to be given the opportunity to get this one from a dealer, even if it blew out my budget for the year. Just got my NYCC tickets for this year too...

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 6, 2023

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I made the same face as Klarion when this came in the mail today.

Nice! Loved that miniseries.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

RevKrule posted:

How the absolute gently caress have I missed this thread for almost a year?

HOOOO BOY!!!! Let's ride.

Nice to see you found the thread! Gonna have to get off my butt and actually post some more Not sure if I ever posted this, but here's what Chrisse Zullo's commissions looked like when she first started in comics (this was in 2010, after she did an issue of Madame Xanadu...)

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I've found Cadence to be hit or miss with communication after the sale. I had a commission go over two years, and hit whenever I asked for an update, I only ever got a response half the time. That being said, any commissions that I arranged for conventions were very smooth. I deal a lot with Kirby's Comic Art, and have had good experiences, but they are definitely on the pricier side of things.

Here are a couple pieces:

Zatanna by Miacat (Koren Artist)

Poison Ivy by Simone Di Meo

Constantine by Chris Shehan

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Bachtere posted:

You can float it on top of a mat. And then you have the option of just pressing the art against the glass to give a flat appearance like the Mole Man triptych or hinge it and let it rise above the mat, like the Silver Surfer Tommaso piece.

And then there is a third fancy option. Float it, and then have a raised mat around it to give it a little baby shadow box appearance. I only have one piece like that but it looks pretty cool.

Floats is definitely the way to go. A good framing place should be able to use archival glues/techniques if that's a concern for you. As Bachtere said, you can mat it or just pick a color for the background, although my understanding is you do want to avoid having the picture right up against the glass though, so if you don't mat it, you should use spacers -

Here one I had doe without matting with a basic black background:

And here's one with matting - in this case, I matched the back board with the mat, and had the framer color the mat cut that is usually white to gold to match the frame:

RevKrule posted:

I've worked with some of the artists that Kirby Comic Art has but it was before they were with Kirby. They've got a great selection of artists but they're all way outside my price range at this point. It's kinda like Felix. I like Felix and he's got some great artists, again, some of whom I've worked with in the past, but at Felix there's an insane overinflation on price of a lot of the pieces. I want to be very clear here though, I'm not saying artists should lower their prices, nor should they not work with Felix or Kirby, just that since some of them have started working with those dealers, I've been priced out of continued work with them. Felix's drops sell out instantly a lot of times so who am I to say they need to lower their prices anyway.

Yeah, I totally get it - pricing is just high across the board these days. Great for the artists, but not so good for my wallet. The dealers play a factor, but I also think the industry has moved from commissions as something to do for the fans to a income stream for the artists. I'd like to get back to looking for newer/up and coming artists that are more reasonable priced. We'll see how NYCC goes.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 12, 2023

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Here's something cool I did - over a few years, I commissioned Zu Orzu to do one of each of the Endless.

It doesn't show up well, but each frame is actually the same wood and color, but the framers rubbed colored wax into the frame to add some highlights. Probably the most apparent difference if you look at Destiny (white) versus Desire (red). Made for pretty great wall in my guest bedroom until I turned it into a room for my daughter. Need to figure out where to put them now, lol. It's neat to see the evolution in her commissions over time as well - Dream was first, and Destruction was last.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 12, 2023

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

NYCC is about a week away! I've got a bunch of commissions lined up already. Just got a preview of my Steve Defendini Delirium:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

NYCC was packed for a Thursday. Worried what the rest of the week will be like. I still managed to get through a pass of artist alley picked up most of my art that I had pre-commissioned!

I almost immediately blew my budget with this Dustin Nguyen Scarlet Witch Cover. I've been a fan of Dustin for years, and he's always super fun to talk to. Glad he's finally back!

Picked up another Delirium from Janet Lee:

Pre-commissioned She-hulk from Luca Maresca:

Constantine by Seth Adams:

Mystique by Elia Bonetti

Doctor Strange - by Marco Failla

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I think you could do the NYCC AA in a day if you dedicated yourself to it, and weren't picky, or trying to get specific artists. I was able to hit all the rows in artist alley over around 5 hours on Thursday just walking and browsing Artists Alley while doing my pre-con commission pick-ups. I have been going to NYCC for over a 15 years, so I tend to focus on my favorites, and new folks - there's a pretty decent number of regulars I just ignore now. I also did not do anything anything this year that required me to wait in line. Once you factor in specific artist's policies, it can start to chew up a lot of time - especially for the big name artists that aren't at there tables all the time. For example, you have to wait in line for pieces by Olivier Copiel - no lists, so you could be waiting there all day or Adam Hughes was only sketching at specific times, so you might need to get there early.

Anyways, here are my last pick ups from Saturday and Sunday:

Kate Bishop by Paul Azaceta - almost missed this one because I accidently marked my notes that I picked it up. Luckily I decided to post in this thread and realized my mistake!

Mystique by Simone DiMeo - one of my new favorite artist of the last few years.

Ro (from The Me You Love in the Dark) by Jorge Corona - First time at NYCC this year, and seemed like a super nice guy. I love the stuff that he's been working on with Skottie Young. He said this was the first Ro he was commissioned, which I found to be interesting.

Maestro #1 page by Germain Peralta - thought this was a great sequence, and has MODOK on it as a bonus!

I always attend the charity art auction to support St. Jude Children's Hospital. Prices were high this year, but they were aiming to hit $90K in donations this year so they could hit $1,000,000 raised for St. Jude over 13 years. The auction was supposed to go from 6-10, and I bailed at 10:30, but apparently they went until midnight and ended up raising $120K, which is just a ridiculous amount of money. I manged to snag 2 pieces though:

Harley by Marco Failla

Middlewest page by Jorge Corona:

Overall, pretty good haul for the con.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

So jealous you can go. I was getting jealous of some of the art coming out the con that I was seeing on social media. Glad to see it did well for its first year!

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Huh - apparently, there is a max exodus of artists leaving Cadence Comic Art. Poking around some of the OA forums, no real information as to why.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I'm glad it seems your commissions are in order. I'd be worried if I had anything open at the moment. Still just a lot of rumors, but I'm guessing it's not good if everyone is being so tight lipped about it.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

That's pretty crazy if true. I can sorta see how you could get away with it for a while, especially if you have a rep for delayed or bad communication anyway. Since some artist can take months or years to complete their commissions, it would be pretty easy to keep kicking the can down the road when a customer ask you a question. You could probably keep a bunch of people in the lurch and float a bunch of cash - just need to occasionally refund an irate customer that demands a refund. Feels like it would inevitably collapse, though - people would eventually reach out to artists directly or other staff members, and it would eventually come to light. Which I guess must have happened.

I just can't imagine the amount of money would be worth blowing up your business and reputation for it.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Taking a one-off commission might be harder to hide from the artist because a customer might randomly email the artist about it. I figure the easiest way to do it is to take a couple extra names when a list opens up. Then you could always claim it was a mistake if called out on it. If two people commissioned the same character, it'd be even easier to hide - if an artist doesn't have customer names and they were contacted directly, they'd just make an assumption about what you are referring to.

It could be non-commission related, too. Selling pages and pocketing the money without telling the artist would be pretty easy since they control the inventory. I could see someone starting to do it when they are in a bind, with the intention to pay them later, and it just snowballing from there.

I'm curious what sort of evidence is available to make everyone jump ship. Is there clear evidence of what happened, or is everyone going by rumor? Seems like too many people to not have proof. Makes me think the employees that left uncovered something, but that's pure conjecture.

Edit:

RevKrule posted:

To me the weird thing is it all just happened so immediately. It's like everyone all at once was like "nah, i'm done" and it makes me think there was something else going on.

Yeah, it's really strange. My wife compared it to a bank run.

The funniest thing to me is that someone is updating the artist list on the website. The business is collapsing, but it's someone's job, and they are going to do it right! Or they are just being snakry...

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 5, 2024

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Double posting - This isn't mine, but someone on another board posted this from Adi Granov - doesn't call out Cadence by name, but it heavily implies a bunch of stuff...

Also feel bad not posting any art, so here's Simone DiMeo Shazam cover I recently acquired:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I found them to be hit or miss. I mostly dealt with them for con commissions, and that was fine. It took a while for some online commissions - it took over a year and a half for one. I probably got a response to every third email, and then the art just showed up at my house one day without warning. Felt like if things went as planned, it was fine, but definently some gaps in responses. Honestly, that was pretty typical for other reps, so it didn't seem that odd. I always assumed I'd eventually get my pieces. Clearly I was mistaken...

Kirby's had been my goto, and has been great with communication, although prices are definently higher.

Comicsbeat has an article up about this. Not alot of new info though.

Here's a Mike Allred commission I got during COVID time. Asked for a Galactus with no other guidance, and he gave me way more than I was expecting.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 6, 2024

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Neil Gaimam is auctioning part of his collection, mostly original art, at Heritage. I'm guessing prices will be too high for me

https://comics.ha.com/c/search/results.zx?dept=1938&mode=live&auction_name=7364&type=hero-comic-open-7364-Gaiman-tem022324

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Just recieved an outstanding NYCC commission from Nick Dragotta. Absolutely love it. Just asked for a Iron Fist, and he definently blew it out of the water.