Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

This is a thread to talk about Shadowverse, an internet card game. There's a new expansion coming out in a few days and they're giving away 10 free packs a day until then, so this is a good time to get in there. So far as I can tell the game is generous in general, although I've only been playing for five days, so maybe it's only nice to new people.

you people posted:

put [meme] in the OP

No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I guess it's time for us to stop using the RPG thread for this, lol

We'd been using that thread for a while since the story mode is essentially an anime VN with a jank, excuse plot first arc that ramps into being legit good.

For any new starters, my usual advice is to do the story mode since it's good and will give you a run of resources. Once you've done that, there's more free resources tied up in doing the Elite difficulty matches vs the AI in the Solo -> Practice stuff and every gold for doing private matches with people.

For returners like me, we're in a bit of a worse spot side we don't get the 50 free rotation packs to start off but I've managed to get my account up and running again in like a month although I did have to go for a cheap rotation deck. Once you get back to playing rotation, resources stop mattering for the most part unless you want a new deck.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
ding dong

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mysticblade posted:

I guess it's time for us to stop using the RPG thread for this, lol

We'd been using that thread for a while since the story mode is essentially an anime VN with a jank, excuse plot first arc that ramps into being legit good.

For any new starters, my usual advice is to do the story mode since it's good and will give you a run of resources. Once you've done that, there's more free resources tied up in doing the Elite difficulty matches vs the AI in the Solo -> Practice stuff and every gold for doing private matches with people.

For returners like me, we're in a bit of a worse spot side we don't get the 50 free rotation packs to start off but I've managed to get my account up and running again in like a month although I did have to go for a cheap rotation deck. Once you get back to playing rotation, resources stop mattering for the most part unless you want a new deck.

Yeah the real test of the game for me is how hard it'll be to make a new deck without spending money. I get bored playing the same decks.

In the meantime I got lucky and pulled some discard dragon legendaries, so now I've got a semi-budget deck that might even survive rotation, and since I'd really rather play runecraft, dshift in unlimited has been blessedly easy to put together. Another thing I'm looking for from Shadowverse is the ability to go completely F2P without ever having to play aggro and put together follower-light decks. I've had enough of dragging yetis into each other from back in Hearthstone.

I wonder if discard dragon will work after rotation. It's going to lose a couple of its most reliable enablers in a couple days.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 24, 2022

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

OK I'll try it

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its very annoying they added the cross class hybrid decks because i vial all my old cards to just focus on forest and rune... oh well i just need to double check spells from other classes before i get rid of them now...

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
OP do throw in a mention of the free 10 packs that are being given away every day until the 26. The first time you login you will get every pack you have missed, but you have to login daily for the rest. So if you make an account by the 26 a new player is also getting 100 packs ontop of all the other new player stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I haven't played this in like three years. All I remember is wanting to summon Nephthys to kill all of my own dudes, which was unbeatable.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I remember I started around late Wonderland then played consistently up until rotation for a while but I got sick of the triangle of Earth Rune/Midrange Shadow/something else. I know Swordcraft fell off a cliff and died for a long time and that was by far my favorite deck type, how are they now

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Browsing through my old cards, what does this '+1' mean?

Why do a bunch of legendaries get a +1 in your inventory regardless of if you have them or not?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Clarste posted:

Why do a bunch of legendaries get a +1 in your inventory regardless of if you have them or not?

you can only put 3 in a deck so maybe it's just a note that you've pulled more than that? idk why they wouldn't immediately convert to materials though

e: okay i didn't read that second part so :shrug:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
at some point, they added a currency that you can spend on legendaries, but only one per card. The +1 tracks that you've already obtained one in that way. When the currency was added, they gave everybody one copy of every legendary up to that point. You won't have the +1 on any cards newer than when the currency was added.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Clarste posted:

those are temporary legendaries
e: i was beaten to explanation

note that unlike trial decks and despite being called temporary, those haven't actually disappear, you just can't use seers globes and stuff on them

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 24, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

those are temporary legendaries
e: i was beaten to explanation

note that unlike trial decks and despite being called temporary, those haven't actually disappear, you just can't use seers globes and stuff on them

That's okay I still don't understand.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Clarste posted:

That's okay I still don't understand.

you can craft these with temp gems to try out legendary cards without spending packs or whatever to try to get them normally, thats it

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

drat you weren't kidding about how bad the first story is. Hi there, this is my name and my motivation, what's yours? Oh, that's cool, bye forever (repeat 6 times)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Instead of playing the real game I will instead continue playing the single player switch game based on the dumbass school anime because at least the AI can't shame me when I miss lethal.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Last time i played this was during Wonderland Dreams when neutral ran supreme. I used a Spawn of the Abyss deck that could do 16 damage in 1 turn. Then Spawn got nerfed and i was sad. That's my shadowverse story.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like mysteria because its a deck achetype built around a lesbian couple

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'd rather miss lethal against a player than the ai. If I lose against a human then at least someone benefits, but the computer watches my stupidity and feels nothing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
spellboost speaks to me on a spiritual level

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I find myself, out on the road

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

spellboost speaks to me on a spiritual level

i hope they figure out a way to give bloodcraft all seven deadly sins as keywords before the game shuts down

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

The animated cards in this are really cool

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm making a researched and informed decision with my giant pile of free newbie + event packs, I lie as I toss them all into the pack that has a chance to give me a cool mech as a leader.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Clarste posted:

Just think of them as a free copy of a legendary. Easiest way to think of that.

You can only have 1 temporary copy of each card so what happens is that you spend temporary gems, a currency you get from winning games, to get 1 copy of any legendary you want to use. This cuts down on the vials you need for new decks but only for people who've been playing PvP.

Kind of a terrible name but a good system.

For ding dong fans, her most recent card has the cutest EN attack line.

I went 4-1 on the recent Take Two All Stars GP so now I'm in Group A finals. Got through with a combo of Grea and DShift but alas, Grea did not have her girlfriend with her.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, I did some pulls, saw that Bloodcraft is now wolfboys and catgirls instead of vampires, and googled a deck that used the catgirl I pulled. It doesn't seem especially good, or maybe I am just awful at playing it.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 25, 2022

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

No, that sounds like Evo Blood. It's a T3 deck at best that sees competitive play rarely but has no real wins. It's also probably dead next expansion with the rotation of Bloodlust Demon and Jupiter.

Blood hasn't been in a good spot this expansion. Wrath Blood and Evo Blood have been Blood's more normal decks and neither have done well lately. Both are also losing a lot of their best cards next expansion but Wrath is at least getting new support.

Blood's best deck recently has been Handless Blood which is an aggro deck based around dumping your hand and getting as much damage as possible before summoning Paracelise from your deck when you have no cards in your hand to continue trying to kill your opponent early. I've been using it, this is my list that I yoinked from somewhere.

Some of the cards for the new expansion have been revealed here. But I'd wait until release before making it a new deck.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Wrath Blood is pretty fun though

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wrath is the coolest type of blood.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Machina Blood was my poo poo back in the day, I miss Mono.

Apparently both her and Urias got new cards that rotated out just before I returned

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

https://shadowverse.com/cards/cardpack/eightfoldabyssazvaldt?lang=en

All the cards for the new expac are up on the site now

I'm ready to go beat up some cops with my new buddy Garodeth

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure how discard dragon is going to work now, but it's fine, we have dancing crab. If there isn't a viable dancing crab deck then by god I will invent one. Is there a way to make copies of a dragon follower? I need five dancing crabs on my field. I hope they have special music.

My pulls on the 27th are going to have a lot of say in how much fun I'll have with this game in the near future. Maybe I won't have a single coherent deck at the end of it, or worse, I'll have an aggro deck. I'd forgotten this feeling. :ohdear:

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 26, 2022

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Discard will lose some consistency in losing Blazing Dragonewt/Armed Cancer but it's hardly the end of the world for the deck. It's a bit of a consistency loss for the most stable deck in the meta.

If Discard Dragon stops being meta, it won't be because of the cards rotating out. It'll be because of some new bullshit, maybe Loot Sword or something

Also Discard Dragon is still workable in unlimited.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hm, the new Rune gameplan looks sort of interesting. Unless I'm mistaken, the leader legendary (Sephie the Depraved Convict) can essentially summon chimeras without even being played, just by discarding 2 other follower cards? Which isn't so bad because the chimeras draw a card when they die? And the chimeras get stronger the more you've summoned per game, culminating in actually playing her to get 2-3 5/5 chimeras with Storm, depending on what turn it is and what else you've played.

Sounds cool and weird, but also strongly encourages a deck that's mostly followers (especially condemned followers) which doesn't synergize much with any other runecraft gimmicks. I'm kind of wondering if there are even enough condemned followers to make it viable yet...

Edit: And a few of the condemned runecraft followers that do exist are mega-expensive nukes which don't fit into the gameplan at all. Well, I guess if you're mostly fusing them it might not matter too much?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 26, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i haven't played it but very path to nowhere esque aesthetics here

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I've still yet to fight a single real human being in this game there is a ridiculous amount of story quests. It's amazing how immediately better the story gets after the intensely lame first chapter.

Edit: But also I want the stupid new years bunny cards/a chance at getting BIG REWARDS so we should try to organize a friendship ring since you apparently get one shot at the BIG PRIZES for playing (not winning) a private match against a different person each day until like January 5th or something. My UID is 853161916 if someone is up for it, I guess.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 27, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Infinity Gaia posted:

I've still yet to fight a single real human being in this game there is a ridiculous amount of story quests. It's amazing how immediately better the story gets after the intensely lame first chapter.

Edit: But also I want the stupid new years bunny cards/a chance at getting BIG REWARDS so we should try to organize a friendship ring since you apparently get one shot at the BIG PRIZES for playing (not winning) a private match against a different person each day until like January 5th or something. My UID is 853161916 if someone is up for it, I guess.

ok added ya, there is actually a guild we had a while ago, here is the ID for 684369150

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My IUD is 406538096 feet wide

Do we know which temp decks are good/bad yet?

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 27, 2022