Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mysticblade posted:

Everything's on video these days, Zhiff is a good channel for following the meta. He's got a quick video on what appears to be the current best decks in the meta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RXP_-YuWQA

The tl;dw of it is that Wrath Blood, Last Words Shadow and Spellboost Rune look to be the current best decks in the meta.

After that, we have Magachiyo Forest, Booty Sword, Armed Condemned Dragon, Amulet OTK Haven and Machina Portal looking like the best decks in those classes. Personally I'm not convinced Haven is that good but someone's going for Grandmaster with it so eh.

Deck lists for all those decks from competitive players are in the video too. I was pretty happy when I saw my initial list for Wrath Blood that I just made up matched pretty closely, we only had a 5 card difference.

Also every one of these OTK decks is capable of whiffing and getting a bad draw. I had a match vs Loot Sword that went to turn 11 because we both bricked.\

E - Discard Dragon from last expansion is also doing well again. Handless Blood is the same as the last expansion, I don't have lists for those on hand but let me know if you want them.

Things being in video loving blows rear end compared to the Duel Links/Master Duelmeta sites having nice deck search functions and writeups, ugh

It's not even about what's meta/super good, just I don't know what's out there to interest me or inspire me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, I get you. The tempo storm stuff is the best we have for following that in written form but they're not always that quick about updating. All the other written sites are JP only because Shadowverse is extremely niche in English.

If you're not sure where to start, I'd probably start fiddling with the trial decks in story mode or practice. They're not one to one with modern decks and nothing will really compete with seeing decks in action and going "I want to try that" but I had a friend try this game after playing YGO for a while. They were a fan of more controlly decks in YGO and they ended up making the jump to Discard Dragon which, well, was at least a late-game deck? Unfortunately, they weren't a fan of Blood at all.

We probably need a real OP on how to get start on this game at some point but eh. What kind of decks do you like in other card games?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I played uh.. Vagabond Frog before they nerfed that (rightfully but also maaaan) and that was the last time I really played SV aside from Champion's Battle where I tended to aggro blood, in YGO I tend to play Spirit Charmers/Fairy Tails. I picked Loot Sword as my trial deck but none of the three particularly called to me in a real way.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mysticblade posted:

Odd, Magachiyo burst turns should be able to break most forms of ward. Nightshade Assassin will deal with the majority of things and Piercye can deal with wide boards. Which specific wards are you having issues with?

Mostly I just seem to get *completely* walled by Armed Dragoncraft. The tanky version of Laevateinn just shuts off the entire deck lol.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I have determined that I have the best Condemned Rune deck because other people do cowardly things like put "followers" in that are "worth playing" instead of just feeding everyone to the mad scientist lady.

Edit: To be clear, I do think it is actually bad to play generically good followers in this deck because it takes you further from your win condition. And the sooner all your test subjects are 5/5s with Rush the less useful everything else becomes by comparison.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 31, 2022

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Pulled together enough temp gems to get my first temporary card. Does si long or gilnelise have a greater impact on discard dragon win chance? I've never played gilnelise so I don't really know what role it plays.

And does anyone have any theories about which rune cards will get nerfed, if any?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ragnar34 posted:

Pulled together enough temp gems to get my first temporary card. Does si long or gilnelise have a greater impact on discard dragon win chance? I've never played gilnelise so I don't really know what role it plays.

And does anyone have any theories about which rune cards will get nerfed, if any?

From what I've seen when it's used against me, Gilnelise is mostly an anti-aggro card that you evolve to eliminate a big threat while also healing yourself for 6, giving you that much more of a buffer. I would say Si Long is more important, imo, since that's a card you always play and evolve in every game no matter what, since it does everything for you.

Take this with a grain of salt since I don't play Dragon though.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I made a Magachiyo deck and it does alright-ish, I durdle around for six turns and sometimes win out of nowhere turn 7. If they have a couple of tanky Ward creatures though then I'm SOL

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

At least she's part of the elf mafia(?).

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Mostly I just seem to get *completely* walled by Armed Dragoncraft. The tanky version of Laevateinn just shuts off the entire deck lol.

Right, Defence Form Laevatainn is a completely different beast and the heavier version of it, Victorious Blader just rotated out from Sword. That card could singlehandedly force a concede on 7 so this is actually fairly normal for decks without hard removal. You have access to the bane 1/1 which should be able to clear that although you might lose your OTK if you don't have the neutral. Defence Form singlehandedly pushed Armed from a joke to an almost viable deck with certain matchups, it's a very strong card.

Re: Gil - Right now, she's either a clear 2 and heal 4 for 2pp and 1 evo point or she's a clear 1 and heal 6 for the same price. She's very good at getting you out of lethal range. Her invoke on turn 10 is well, not going to be doing much now unless the meta slows down but it's a game winning move. I would pick Si Long if you're sticking with Dragon since I think she's better within Dragon but Gil can be used outside of Dragon.

As for Rune, Adherant's almost certainly getting killed, he's a silver that's about to rotate out. No way they intended for him to become meta. Beyond that, Chakram Master or Raining Blades might take a hit as well. Chakram is effectively two spellboosts in this deck while also killing wards, Raining Blades is massively expanding the amount of ways they can hit 20 damage in one turn and it kills wards too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Maybe I'm just not seeing the bigger picture, but I can't really imagine what that deck even is without Adherent. That's like the whole thing, everything else is support for him.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 1, 2023

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

All of the Adherant support works just fine for Simael as well. They can still burn with the cheap 2 damage spell, they can still drop multiple Simael's and use Raining Blades for a full OTK in one turn if they get that ready. Adherant is just letting them use 0 pp spells as buffs to a storm follower. They'll be significantly worse without him but depending on what they hit, the deck will probably still be around.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Simael has 4 attack, 6 with evolve. Unless they get absolutely blessed and can drop 3 of them at once it's a joke compared to Adherent, and even in that blessed case it's still significantly weaker. The deck doesn't seem so overwhelming powerful to me that it could survive being gutted like that.

Edit: I guess if it's the only Condemned in the deck they can make that semi-reliable with the Azvaldt amulet.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 1, 2023

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

The deck would have to change forms. Last expansion, it was using Orchestal Mage and Kuon and I could see Orchestal Mage coming back if Adherant goes. Kuon, maybe not.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Clarste posted:

I have determined that I have the best Condemned Rune deck because other people do cowardly things like put "followers" in that are "worth playing" instead of just feeding everyone to the mad scientist lady.

Edit: To be clear, I do think it is actually bad to play generically good followers in this deck because it takes you further from your win condition. And the sooner all your test subjects are 5/5s with Rush the less useful everything else becomes by comparison.

sometimes you just want a Uranus out there!!!
but yeah you typically at least one test subject going out every turn you can do it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I like this mad scientist deck a lot:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I am now going to explain every card in my deck for no reason.

Wayfaring Goblin: Draws a card on turn 1. Otherwise fusion fodder.

Sacred Bird of Wisdom: Draws a card on turn 1. Sometimes other turns, but rarely. Otherwise fusion fodder. If you have to play it as a follower you might as well concede because you're hosed.

Thunder God of the Tempest: Draws a card on turn 1. Sometimes other turns, slightly more often. Between it and the bird, I prioritize using the bird first because it's harder to use later.

Volunteer Test Subject: Easy turn 2 play, sometimes later but it doesn't really fit nicely into most turns.

Devoted Researcher: Exactly the same as the Volunteer Test Subject, but if possible you want to save it for the Enhance. It's actually got a weird unintuitive property, which is that when Enhanced it summons two Volunteer Test Subjects before it gives them buffs, which means that if the 2nd one pushes you over a threshold both summons get buffed. So you can get Rush or +3/+3 one summon earlier if you play this guy. Use too many of these and it'll fill up your hand though, so watch out.

Metatron: Fusion fodder, but sometimes worth playing against hyper aggro decks.

Orchestral Mage: Fusion fodder, but sometimes your finisher fails by like 1 HP and it's nice to have a back-up Storm for the next turn.

Obsessive Scholar: Easy turn 3 play, but it's generally not worth it any later than that, at which point it becomes fusion fodder. It takes a fusion to summon, but also draws a card when played plus the Test Subject's Last Word draw, so it's overall draw-positive, which can be a good thing.

Juno, Atelier Alchemist: Can fuse a card to summon 3 3/3 golems, which is pretty incredible value. Mostly useful for setting up a 3/3 Storm-equivalent on the next turn, but also creates a wall of bodies that the opponent feels obligated to respond to, which is always nice. Ideally played on turn 5 along with a 1 cost Test Subject for a turn 6 kill, but fate is not always so kind. Either way though, you're unlikely to get any use out of more than one of these so the rest are fusion fodder. Also, she can only fuse Runecraft Followers so try to leave one of those available.

Olivia and Syliva, Wardens: They just have way too much value to ignore, even if the ideal gameplan doesn't use them at all. The perfect topdeck, as it were.

Warden of the Arcane: If you have to play this you're probably screwed, but it's better than nothing. Condemned/Runecraft follower for optimal fusion fodder.

Warden of Recurrence: To be perfectly honest, even if I did magically get this guy's cost down to zero (this will not happen) I still wouldn't play it because it sucks that bad. Also I have no non-follower cards so its fanfare just makes me lose a card with no upside.

Zerael, Regent of Rebirth: FUSION FODDER!

Simael, Cleansing Enforcer: Yeah, fusion fodder. Again, it's nice that it's Condemned and Runecraft for maximum versatility.

Sephie, Depraved Convict: The only card that matters. Our goal in life is to feed almost everything to her. A third of our deck is filled with unplayably bad followers simply to make it more likely than not that we can get the bonus 1 cost fusion summon with her (well, technically it's more like a 1 PP refund since you still need at least 2 PP to do it at all), which opens up a lot of possibilities. For example, 2 Test Subjects on turn 3, Test Subject + Juno on turn 5, and of course Test Subject + Sephie on turn 6 for 10-15 damage to face from an empty board (depending on whether we got Golem set-up on turn 5, or if we need her Evolve to transform an enemy ward). And you should 100% have your Test Subjects maxed out by turn 6, possibly turn 5. If you have more than one Sephie in hand you can also summon twice on a single turn, but you really, really shouldn't unless you absolutely have to because that empties your hand so fast. Waiting until turn 7 with two in hand to summon 2 Test Subjects at once for 15-20 face damage from an empty board is also an idea, but I generally find it safer to use the 6 PP play two turns in the row rather than save up (although a turn 6 Olivia isn't the worst thing ever). If you end up with all 3 in your hand that's actually terrible and you'll probably need to fuse at least one away, but at least you can fuse them after they've already used their own fusion.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 2, 2023

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/shadowversegame/status/1610833992881967104

Spellboost nerfs are here. Adherant is a Rush now and Greater Will of all things became more awkward to use. Although there weren't really many things that a Greater Will on the leader really stopped.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The great evil has been slain.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wait, why did that buff that random Forest card?

I do feel like Greater Will was a key element of not dying until their combo turn, but I'm not sure how much difference this change makes.

RIP Adherant, you will not be missed.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

For the most part, the Greater Will change will make their hands a little clunkier, especially if they're going first. It's also going to make the dragon matchup in particular worse because they can't use that card if they're ramping with oracle or using discards instead.

The Izudia buff is really weird but I guess they want it to actually use. Poor Izudia, both versions of him were bad.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hey >:I
why do that to greater will >:I

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Mysticblade posted:

The Izudia buff is really weird but I guess they want it to actually use. Poor Izudia, both versions of him were bad.

Pretty sure it's still bad? I can't picture many situations where you get to waste turn 9 and not immediately die.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, he's probably still bad. But if a Control Forest list comes back, he's a faster kill than invoking Bahamut.

So it's one of those small changes that might allow a deck to come back but more likely is going to do nothing but make it slightly better in Take Two.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm runecraft at heart and the adherent nerf is a relief to me. I don't want to be playing the cheese class. I just want to lead a quiet and blameless life in A to B tier.

E: saw someone suggest this is now a more controlly deck with something called Kuon (which one??) and I guess I also have to make Uranus x3 now.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 6, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am fighting way too many pirates

gently caress these guys

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Pirates are fine by me; they keep trying to clear my board which is exactly what I want with the Sephie Test Subject deck. My bugbear is the recent influx of... control Forest? The one that just stalls forever and tries to summon unremovable 4/4s. Mostly because it has an AOE banish that just eats all my draw.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

The good news is that the Control Hoizumi Forest people are starting to drop Benevolent Elf which means you won't have to deal with it.

The bad news is that Control Forest is back at all.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Pirates are fine by me; they keep trying to clear my board which is exactly what I want with the Sephie Test Subject deck. My bugbear is the recent influx of... control Forest? The one that just stalls forever and tries to summon unremovable 4/4s. Mostly because it has an AOE banish that just eats all my draw.

Those are rough too but I get one of them for every 6 pirates

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yay!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Honestly now that storm runecraft has perished there aren't any decks I really hate to fight.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wrath Blood is a little annoying, but only in the sense of like "do you really need a card that clears the board, deals 5 damage to face, and heals yourself? Which you will proceed to play 3 turns in a row?"

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh yeah that card is kinda ridiculous. Why the gently caress is it only a 5 cost too, it's so loving cheap for its effect...

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I just finished up the jungle planet story and I pray that these writers figured out a way to up the stakes in future stories that isn't "AND THEN THE BAD GUY SENT OUT ANOTHER MILLION BILLION GENERIC MINIONS"

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Happy to see the wild west world is another big step up in quality

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

I just finished up the jungle planet story and I pray that these writers figured out a way to up the stakes in future stories that isn't "AND THEN THE BAD GUY SENT OUT ANOTHER MILLION BILLION GENERIC MINIONS"

They had this problem for the longest time in Granblue as well. Conversations just interrupted with "but first we gotta take care of these monsters!"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, it comes from the fact that they want you to fight a lot. You know, to experience the game. I think forcing themselves to explain every single random battle is a weakness of the writing though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I will never forgive Shadowverse for making Vania the mascot for Bloodcraft instead of Queen Vampire.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

I will never forgive Shadowverse for making Vania the mascot for Bloodcraft instead of Queen Vampire.

But..bloodkin..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Vampy is good and cute actually even if I don't normally like cute things that much

I just kinda wished she got a sub story or something where we get to see Urias's reaction to her and Veight