Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Strategy of tension 2 babey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

wow gladio and the whole years of lead thing really did a great job keeping leftists out of power huh? Well don't worry we'll never use these obviously effective and low cost tactics ever again especially not domestically we promise you can trust your buddies here at the CIA to keep their word on this

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Cloks posted:

please don't disparage the fine male, female and non-binary employees of the new, reformed CIA

I am a proud Latinx woman and I WILL NOT let impostor syndrome stop me from directing this false flag train station bombing

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I don't know how much I buy "doing propaganda of the deed to freak people out to start a race war" as a political aim in reality. Maybe what they think they're doing is revolutionary violence which could be understood as terrorism to everyone else/the status quo but to what degree is just having or imagining a sort-of political motive translate into a political aim? They're not acting on the behalf of a political project in any meaningful sense. All the atomwaffens and the bases put together don't have a political valence, there is no mass political line behind explicit race war. If I go shoot up a grocery store and as I'm being thrown into the swat van tell the cops "actually I did this because of Politics" it goes from mass murder or stochastic violence to ~terrorism~? It's a weird thing to want to look into these people's hearts and minds to figure out the degree to which what they did was bad rather than just look at the explicit material conditions and consequences.

don't know! think this is pretty thin gruel and that ultimately it doesn't matter because "terrorism" is a hazy definition in the best case and really the only reason people throw it around post 9/11 is to try to punish their political enemies (or a representative thereof) more.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

that said, if these sorts of attacks are intentionally stoked by the feds in order to escalate domestic tensions to retrench political power I'd listen to arguments about classifying that as terrorism, especially because I think that would rightly disassociate the system's violence from the people the violence is being done to. The connotation of terrorism is that it's done to nations as a singular whole somehow, which I think is a pretty dumb way to think about it.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

they think they are. it's their political project. white supremacist violence is an organic movement in the US and always has been.

Hatebag posted:

If you wanna determine whether they're terrorists or just killers you have to look at their motivations because knowing their motivations is necessary to determine whether it's terrorism. Since we can't crack their heads open and see what's inside we have to rely on what they say and what the things that inspired them say.
Like i said earlier, the powerful will just describe anyone who opposes them as terrorists.

so is "terrorism" just synonymous with "political violence"? if so why even use it? I really think people, after 9/11, people feel like terrorism means "extra evil" and if you don't say something is terrorism you're saying that it's not that bad actually and that makes you a bad nasty guy we all have to hate

I don't buy that fantastical political projects or personal intentions a terrorist make. If I shoot up a movie theater because I'm hosed up and want to suicide by cop but my manifesto says that I'm doing this to bring about world communism, I don't think that makes me a terrorist by any definition that is useful for anyone. like no poo poo atomwaffen wants race war and the establishment of a white ethnostate but the degree to which that is a politically salient project is essentially nil. They're not acting on behalf of a government or power structure (probably) or mass movement or anything than some psychopaths who figured out how to use discord, and I just don't buy that that constitutes a political movement with any real weight. If "terrorism" as a word has any utility it should be along the lines of violence against a people to induce fear towards a political end and "start rahowa" might as well be "initiate the second coming" or "commune with the mothership" or any number of other totally fantastical ends.

again if terrorism means anything other than REALLY BAD and you gotta call it REALL BAD or you're secretly a bad guy!!! "politically inspired stochastic violence" isn't it imo, even if that's what people online mean by it

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

and political violence means as long as they or anyone else can say or imply its politically motivated it is, so terrorism is just synonymous with all violence that doesn't spring from, like, specific untreatable mental illnesses

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

when you care more about your pet conspiracy theories than the actual people who have been and could be harmed/killed by nazi terrorists, it is time to log off and talk to real people who aren't just other sadbrains weirdos on the internet.

ummmm sweaty?? its time to TOUCH GRASS so you can be more WORRIED about these FRIGGING FASCISTS!!!!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

if theres one thing I believe with all my heart its being performatively concerned about it on something awful dot com will put an end to their evil ways once and for all

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

if only hatebag would log off and become worried about this instead of spouting disinformatzkaya on the forums, perhaps peace could be achieved.............

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

this is terrorism, too me