Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I think it's probably an outfit that sells transformers.

Smythe posted:

maybe someone did a cool cat burglary style thing on a hardened compound when the power was out like something out of a heist movie. ever think of that?

It's not a hardened compound without a generator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I think it is extremely hamburger brained to label the culprits of these attacks as terrorists.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Cuttlefush posted:

power is needed to play videogames. preventing that is terrorism

You're not a real gamer without a backup generator.

Weka
May 5, 2019

TenementFunster posted:

except for the atomwaffen guy and his nazi girlfriend

Let's go Brandon.
I'm not very familiar with Atomwaffen but from skimming their wikipedia page it seems like they are more about insurgency than terror campaigns. I know neonazis aren't usually the smartest but how would they hope to overthrow the government of the USA by scaring it's citizens?
Whereas the power infrastructure of your enemy is frequently seen as a useful target in a war, which is how these people probably see it.

Weka
May 5, 2019

paul_soccer12 posted:

The trick is to not buy Plat so no one can PM you offers of money or nudes in exchange for terrorism

I will give you one nude in exchange for one terrorism. Your wiles cannot stop me Paul.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Man Musk posted:

You don't have to worry about these punk rear end bitches cuz I eat them for breakfast.

As a humanitarian, I support the destabalization of America.

Weka
May 5, 2019

mawarannahr posted:

what a tribute to "الْقَاعِدَة‎ (al-qāʿida), definite form of قَاعِدَة‎ (qāʿida, “foundation, base”)"

I wonder if there is a simple 'paint by numbers' manual on how to set up a right wing extremist group published by the federal government with a list of example names.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Hatebag posted:

American nazi terrorists all think the turner diaries is a documentary and all it will take to kick off the race war is a terrorist attack. Usually the fbi is ginning them up to go murder people a la mcveigh or countless mass shooters. I don't see what their being delusional assholes with poo poo brains getting egged on by another white supremacist terrorist group (the fbi) has to do with them being terrorists or not

Blowing things up is not terrorism per se. 9-11 was terrorism because it was designed to make people scared it could happen again, or a different type of attack by similar actors could take place. McVeigh on the other hand afaik saw himself as an insurgent performing a revenge attack on the government. These are different ideas but because America has spent the past two decades labeling people protecting their homeland from invaders as terrorists, hamburger brained individuals cannot tell the difference.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Hatebag posted:

The usual definition of terrorism is using violence or the threat of violence to achieve political ends. If a nazi's goal in shooting up a substation is causing a race war then that nazi is doing terrorism because their end is white supremacy/genocide and their means is violence.
McVeigh was a nazi that wanted the white majority to rise up and kill all the non-whites. He was a terrorist and so were his fbi handlers. He went to elohim city lol, that's a fed/nazi compound

If I'm not understanding you correctly here, please don't take offense - I'm half a bottle deep here

To qualify as terrorism there must an intent to cause fear. It's the use of terror as a political tool. The threat of violence towards political ends is something inherent in a state.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Hatebag posted:

Personally, I think the intent to cause fear is contained within the desire for genocide and race war, but your fears may vary

Sometimes sure, but the fear is the goal not the method. Sometimes genocide is just about the victims not being around any more.

Fivemarks posted:

"Its only terrorism if They do it. Otherwise its just sparkling 2nd amendmentism"

Are you serious? Because I was pretty clear that I don't consider the Taliban or the Iraqi insurgency to be terrorism. As far as this sort of thing by American white supremacists goes, sometimes it's leveraging terror to achieve their ends but sometimes not.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Hatebag posted:

I don't think so. Their idea of how a race war starts is based on their attacks causing their victims to lash out in fear. The nazis want their victims to be scared because they think that would make them feel powerful but they also want their victims to react in fear because they imagine that's how the battle lines get drawn. Their idea is that they attack blacks, blacks react, and then that reaction gets the rest of the whites on their side. So fear is definitely one of their means. They want their victims scared and they want the rest of the whites scared.

Do you have some evidence to support this? It makes sense but I am unaware of any.
Atomwaffen specifically take their ideology from James Mason, especially his newsletter Siege. It's right wing accelerationist and holds that the path to the race war requires the overthrow of the government first. It seeks to sow chaos as a means to this goal. Mason supported Black and communist violence because they were attacks on the state.
I found this article interesting, perhaps you will too.
https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/individual/james-mason

TenementFunster posted:

lmao did you just compare a nazi targeting hundreds of thousands of innocent black people to iraqi resistance to american imperialism?

It's ok to compare things. It's even ok to point out similarities two things share when one of those things is good and the other bad. In this case I was making it clear that I do not consider the perpetrator being a neo-nazi or white supremacist a defining quality in whether or not something counts as terrorism. For instance I do not consider your posts to be terrorism despite your hamburger brains.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Hatebag posted:

That was an interesting article
I wouldn't recommend reading the turner diaries though

The SPLC seems to be using a similar definition to the one you posted, something like illegally using violence for political ends. As are these nazis. As well as being so broad as to be all but useless, this sort of definition is used by the west to smear it's enemies. I think for practical discussions, especially from a leftist perspective, we need a narrower definition.

Have you read the Turner diaries? I haven't but I just read the plot synopsis on wiki and it looks to me like the white supremacists in it started an insurgency and only after the partial collapse of the state did fear become a tool.
There seems to me to be a useful distinction to be made between the sort of white supremacist who is happy with non-whites being second class citizens and those who seek genocide against them and a whites only society. The former can easily support the USA's government, but the later see it's destruction as necessary to achieve their goals. If the Turner Diaries is considered a roadmap, it doesn't say use terror to overthrow the state but overthrow the state then use terror to spark genocide.

As to Mason only supporting others attacking the state because it will sow fear in white people, it doesn't seem to be supported by the article.

"He thought, therefore, that acts of murder and other violence would help create enough social chaos to destabilize the system. He also started cheering on armed attacks by Communists, as well as black and other revolutionary racial nationalists, which were common in the 1970s and 1980s. Anything that tried to take the system down was good. If Communists and police shot it out in the streets, all the better. Amid the chaos, the Nazis would have an opportunity to mobilize the white masses and take power."

Anyway, this is a good chat and I'm glad it's motivating me to learn more about these fuckwits and their beliefs.

Weka
May 5, 2019

TenementFunster posted:

it is very dumb to compare resisting foreign invasion to trying to turn the power off to a major city because you have racial hatred for most of its residents. doing crimes that put people in danger on the basis of racial hatred is terrorism. you are making a very stupid and meaningless distinction.

How would you define terrorism?

Weka
May 5, 2019

I'm not sure that it has to be criminal or that they have to be scared for their safety particularly, just scared in general, but otherwise we broadly agree. It's pretty distinct to "doing crimes that put people in danger on the basis of racial hatred" which is much broader in some ways, like it would include a bunch of conventional wars.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Hatebag posted:

I don't think leftists need new definitions of words that are different than the usual definitions. That kinda stuff just makes it harder to communicate. Here's the oxford definition of terrorism:
the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

They include the word unlawful specifically as a cutout for war, cops, and governmental actions in general.

And that quote you pulled contains this:

How are they mobilizing the white masses without fear? Are the whites' manchurian candidate trigger phrases going to be activated and cause them to do genocide? No, they think chaos leads to fear leads to nazis in power. Which is similar to how the original nazis took power electorally amidst a coordinated wave of terror and false flag attacks

I've read a few pages of the turner diaries. It's just poorly written garbage so it's a waste of time. The synopsis is fine.

It seems like the main problem you have with calling nazis terrorists is that this would mean that any violent revolution or resistance is terrorism. But if terrorism is violence targeting civilians then that probably doesn't include revolutionary violence.
John brown attacked an armory to get weapons. Not a terrorist.
Mcveigh blew up a building to start a race war. Terrorist
Iraqi resistance targeted invading imperial forces. Not terrorists

People with power are necessarily going to call anyone who opposes then terrorists, though, so I don't know what you can do about that

I don't think it's massively helpful to use a single sentence definition in a language dictionary to understand political concepts but I guess it can illustrate my point, that language is shaped, often very consciously, to promote certain ideas. The first and second editions of the Oxford dictionary (1928 & 1989) define terrorist thusly (aside from 'a Jacobin')

"Terrorist
A policy intended to strike with terror those against whom it is adopted; the employment of methods of intimidation; the fact of terrorizing or condition of being terrorized."

It's not that I'm suggesting we use a new definition, it's that I'm resisting the new definition (which lacks the causing fear part) that is being pushed to change people's ideological framework.

Terrorism started to become a popular term around the seventies with an increase in a particular type of revolutionary violence, most notably Irish republicans, who used fear to achieve their political goals. I have no problem labeling this as terrorism. Was it good or bad? The question is certainly more complex than with these rahowa types but I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not those actions were terrorism.

I think these attacks are not terrorism because they are firmly in the stage one: cause chaos phase of the plan and that the terrorism part is supposed to come later.

Weka
May 5, 2019

The ruling class knows no fear? Got it. Terrorism, named for The Terror of the French revolution, can't be directed at the ruling class? OK.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Hatebag posted:

I think if your goal includes killing people, you're trying to use terror, because most people are scared of death. I don't think the chaos and the terror are necessarily entirely separate phases either. If all social and governmental relations were disrupted and chaos reigns, that's going to scare some folks, so isn't that using terror?

I disagree. This definition would include any lethal violence by non-state actors. The fear cannot be a side effect but must be the primary lever used to make the change the terrorist seeks. The Taliban shelling the soldiers of the USA was not terrorism despite the later crying in fear.

Weka
May 5, 2019

The Voice of Labor posted:

tenement funster just grinding all the activities of the local chapter of food not bombs to a halt until the orginization renames itself food not bombs or guns

they want to gently caress a gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

If I wanted to read The Turner Diaries it wouldn't be to enjoy it as a work of fiction.