Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

attempting to purchase a computer product in 2023 and everything is out of stock. i look up what would be a good computer component or peripheral to buy, and decide which one to get, and go to the jungle site or the chicken site and all they have is the shittier version i already decided i don't want. computer case, out of stock. here's the lovely hosed up case for idiots, at 2x msrp tho. oh you want video graphics acceleration? well how about a Very Gross Andbad. computer mouse for $40? out fo stock but here is a mouse, the animal. ships in 16 weeks from china , all sales final

ive had it just about to here with this computer CRAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
that sounds like a lot of work to procure something for you to gently caress and come in

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

what you end up doing is going to the manufacturer's site, finding what is close enough or a revision of the model you want, and buy that one cause its in stock but not in the generic pc parts picker db for some reason

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

they have tons of poo poo at my local microcenter op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

they have tons of poo poo at my local microcenter op

i went there just the other day, microcenter owns. if you can dodge the sweaty league of legends playing store reps it's a smorgasbord of good deals

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I have found the local reps very helpful in the past few times i've been there! plus im fine with letting some dude skim his commission off the top of my purchase

the philly one has a bunch of 3d printed pokemon statues all over the place so maybe they just play better games over here

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
microcenter owns hard

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Beeftweeter posted:

microcenter owns hard

Especially now that Frys is gone....

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
post the funniest local CL ads you got

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i have access to a wide range of goods and services op :smugmrgw:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Build your case out of stacked 4080's

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

"It melted my power supply!"

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
actually we're in 2022 op

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

lmao.

i had a student one year trying to make his project out of the garbage scrap wood from the junk bin. i told him he needed to buy something better and sent him off with a list of the quality hardwood suppliers in the area.

the next day he came in super pissed that i had "made him spend 80 dollars" to buy a chunk of wood from home depot (not one of the suppliers i recommended) for his project. he showed me a 3/4 x 6 x 24 maple plank.

i asked him how the hell he spent 80 dollars on that. he said he had to take an uber down and back.

i asked him why he didn't take the bus, which has a stop at school and at home depot. he looked at me goggle eyed and said he couldn't be expected to carry construction supplies on the bus.

i then thought about it and asked why it cost 40 dollars each way? the home depot is a lot closer than that.

he said that he had to go to the farther home depot because he went to the near one first and they expected him to cut the wood himself with a hand saw.

i think he eventually dropped out of the program. probably for the best

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
what other suppliers are there than Macbeath? and the store in SF closed :-(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i know :(

macbeath in emeryville is still fine. moore newton is the other good one. and woodcraft for small stuff

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

i know :(

macbeath in emeryville is still fine. moore newton is the other good one. and woodcraft for small stuff

going across the bridge? ugh. I always end up at hd pro unless i need something that isn't 3/4"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah it sucks that there's nothing in the city limits anymore. fortunately i can put my stuff on the truck bringing the school orders to get free delivery :evilbuddy:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

the next day he came in super pissed that i had "made him spend 80 dollars" to buy a chunk of wood from home depot (not one of the suppliers i recommended) for his project. he showed me a 3/4 x 6 x 24 maple plank.

...as in 0.75" by 6" by 24"?! :psyduck:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

...as in 0.75" by 6" by 24"?! :psyduck:

i mean most of the $80 seems to have been spend on cab rides so

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm really boggling at "you can't take construction supplies on a bus!!!" with a small plank of wood that would easily fit in a backpack

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lol or a big tote or something. kid's dumb

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm really boggling at "you can't take construction supplies on a bus!!!" with a small plank of wood that would easily fit in a backpack

i was too

also that he was so put-off by the idea of cutting a board to length himself. the conversation was something like

"i had to go to the far home depot because at the near one they wouldn't cut it down for me."
"huh. that's weird. were they super busy?"
"yeah they just gave me a saw and said to cut it myself!"
"...okay....and you didn't?"
"it was like a SAW. you know a regular saw. not an electric one."
"a hand saw?"
"yeah!"
"well, sure, they probably wouldn't let you use a power tool. why didn't you cut it?"
(goggle-eyed) "by HAND?"
"yes?"
(stares)
"a board that size would take like 2 minutes, if that."
"...well i'm buying it from them, they should cut it!"

etc

some people. idk

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
meanwhile i bought a 2x4 foot hunk of ply for my desk and needed it ripped down to 18" on the narrow side, flagged down a kid and was all "hey can you take six inches off the side here?"

"oh, <mumbles> we're not allowed to make cuts less than one foot"

i was all aw man! well okay thanks anyways

his manager walked by and said "spencer, its fine, go ahead and do the cut"

awesome, thanks so much! yall have a good night

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

some students really have trouble accepting that hand tools exist and work well and you don't need electricity to do everything. one time i found someone trying to start up the plasma cutter to cut off a chunk of 1/4" mild steel rod. it would have taken 10 seconds with a hacksaw

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

some students really have trouble accepting that hand tools exist and work well and you don't need electricity to do everything. one time i found someone trying to start up the plasma cutter to cut off a chunk of 1/4" mild steel rod. it would have taken 10 seconds with a hacksaw

hand sawing sucks

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its fine. let the saw do the work. people pay money to go lift heavy things in a gym and then whine about cutting a piece of wood

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

its fine. let the saw do the work. people pay money to go lift heavy things in a gym and then whine about cutting a piece of wood

I need to start lifting again. maybe then I can saw

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

My new hand plane is backordered to the end of january. Civilization is collapsing before our very eyes

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I really need that 4090 that won’t fit in my computer case.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

he was afraid someone would film him and do a viral tiktok dunkin on him like "the mf takin some drat wood on the bus lmao"

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

akadajet posted:

hand sawing sucks

hacksawing is fine up to like 3/4" rod

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I’m surprised there isn’t a microcenter in Austin

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
im surprised microcenter even still exists. they've been gone from the bay area for at least a decade

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

hasn't been long since my hand saw a 3/4" rod

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Fortaleza posted:

My new hand plane is backordered to the end of january. Civilization is collapsing before our very eyes
From here on out it's scavenging plastic forks like in Fallout.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

making a krenov style handplane is easyish and good fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqSwjTTpYqE

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Presto posted:

From here on out it's scavenging plastic forks like in Fallout.

duke nukem 3d was a playable documentary

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

also that he was so put-off by the idea of cutting a board to length himself

Do you think there could be an element of anxiety? Like "I have never used a hand saw, what if I do it wrong in the middle of the store"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

last time i hand cut some boards at home depot, some old men had gathered to watch and told me they were surprised to see someone so young with excellent saw technique :madmax: