Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

anyway op, i simply purchase the items i need from the store without issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Cat Face Joe posted:

same

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

dividertabs posted:

Do you think there could be an element of anxiety? Like "I have never used a hand saw, what if I do it wrong in the middle of the store"?

how do you get to be an adult in a "physically making things" major and never have used a saw

i guess it's not impossible, it's just always surprising to me

i am an EE, and even in my junior level classes, this is college not high school, there were people in my labs who had never used a bread board and didn't understand how they worked. same idea i guess

i don't mind teaching people things, but i always wonder how you even get into a program like that without having the curiosity to play around with that stuff in your life until then

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Raluek posted:

i don't mind teaching people things, but i always wonder how you even get into a program like that without having the curiosity to play around with that stuff in your life until then

because they see it as a career that is supposed to make a lot of money, not because they’re genuinely interested in it. you see it a lot in software too.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Raluek posted:

how do you get to be an adult in a "physically making things" major and never have used a saw

i guess it's not impossible, it's just always surprising to me

i am an EE, and even in my junior level classes, this is college not high school, there were people in my labs who had never used a bread board and didn't understand how they worked. same idea i guess

hyper-overachiever kids who get shoved into engineering because they're good at math yet have never touched a screwdriver

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The_Franz posted:

hyper-overachiever kids who get shoved into engineering because they're good at math yet have never touched a screwdriver

pushed into it or see it as a path to wealth, one or the other

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my balls are in stock
in fact they’re on sale

hoping on someone buying them soon

need the money

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i built a brand new pc with stuff all at microcenter, except my video card, because they didnt have any 4080s in stock at the store (but it was in stock elsewhere)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Raluek posted:

im surprised microcenter even still exists. they've been gone from the bay area for at least a decade

they frequently beat amazon/newegg/etc on prices, their tech dweeb kids actually are fairly knowledgeable, the shelves are pretty well stocked, and their maker/solder aisles gave them a big shot in the arm when radio shack folded

i honestly dont see em going anywhere, every time i go in here it's loving packed

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
like 5 years ago i specc'd out a machine on newegg and was about to order, said, "gently caress it, lets see what micro center has" and not only did they have it all in stock for in-store pickup, it was like $300 cheaper overall.

i would've paid $300 extra to just get it all same-day, but saving it? that's whats up.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
the weirdo nerd guys who want to help you are ok, but i just tell them "slap whatever sticker you have on here and leave me alone" and it's a good exchange.

my last pc build i wandered in there and let him go fetch my poo poo but i still feel awkward around those nerds because im embarrassed for them through the transitive property.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
stuff is in stock in 3 places:
1. amazon. delivery in 2 days
2. the home depot. not your local, the one that is like 30 miles away across 2 toll bridges
3. ace hardware. the price is double but you can have it now

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
true value #1

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
ohh we're talking about electronics. yeah those aren't in stock anywhere. just order it online and pray

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
ooh la la "i live near a ~~*~microcenter~*~~, my life is sunshine and lollipops"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yes i am jealous :mad:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

gently caress microcenter, we got jameco :colbert:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

ooh la la "i live near a ~~*~microcenter~*~~, my life is sunshine and lollipops"

i can walk to it even

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

rotor posted:

pushed into it or see it as a path to wealth, one or the other

alas, no one is getting pushed into ID as a path to wealth

when i was in id college, we kept a couple handheld jigsaws in the shop patio area for us to use surreptitiously during shop off-hours. i used them a few times, but it still kinda horrifies me. tbh tho, the only time i ever got hurt during college was from a fuckin tsquare.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

DELETE CASCADE posted:

yeah you can just get poo poo right there at will-call

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the weirdo nerd guys who want to help you are ok, but i just tell them "slap whatever sticker you have on here and leave me alone" and it's a good exchange.

my last pc build i wandered in there and let him go fetch my poo poo but i still feel awkward around those nerds because im embarrassed for them through the transitive property.

there are two kinds of nerds

those of use who are nerds but largely ashamed of being so

and those who embrace it with their whole being

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol

DELETE CASCADE posted:

gently caress microcenter, we got jamesco :colbert:

james is spelt with an s so i fixed it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beeftweeter posted:

i can walk to it even

echinopsis posted:

lol

james is spelt with an s so i fixed it

bless

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

...and not much else.

weirdstuff: gone
HSC: gone
excess solutions: gone
anchor: still hanging in there, but for how much longer?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

that woodworking kids a wuss, i used to take my christmas tree home on the train when i lived in sf. the only thing muni operators bat an eye at is live animals, and even that they'll let slide if they think you've got the nerve to kill the animal in front of them to get on

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the closest microcenter is like a thousand miles away. i miss fryes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

OMGVBFLOL posted:

that woodworking kids a wuss

everyone agrees with this

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

there was a time in the mid-late 2000s in canada when amazon hadn't really taken everything over up here yet and it was often prohibitively expensive to get stuff shipped across the border - we had memory express and ncix. memory express was great because the store was literally just a concrete warehouse with metal shelves and a checkout counter, no money spent on making it look nice, so the prices were often cheaper than ordering online + shipping. if you were buying a whole computer's worth of components, they would mount the cpu, heatsink and ram for free which was cool. it probably avoided a lot of damaged returns.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hell yeah. I love poo poo like that.

my dream weed dispensary is a bare concrete room with a scale and two 55 gallon drums labeled HOMEWORK WEED and COUCH WEED and one of those scoops like they have in the bulk peanut/oatmeal aisle in the grocery store

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
goin down to the weedmart, it's new drum tuesday. gonna get those good ones off the top

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

rotor posted:

everyone agrees with this

adding my voice to the din

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jonny 290 posted:

my dream weed dispensary is a bare concrete room with a scale and two 55 gallon drums labeled HOMEWORK WEED and COUCH WEED and one of those scoops like they have in the bulk peanut/oatmeal aisle in the grocery store

lol that would be loving amazing

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

echinopsis posted:

my balls are in stock
in fact they’re on sale

hoping on someone buying them soon

need the money

I’m not buying something with a lien on it.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

all you need to do is move to philly and a delightful assortment of electronics cheessteaks and tastykake will be open to you friend

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Jonny 290 posted:

add SLEEP WEED to that list and i'm sold. and preemptively couch weed is not the same as sleep weed

as is my extremely technical method of choosing weeds is to stand in the weed store and look at the names and then determine which names are best and weight them by indica vs sativa vs hybrid. the worst is when the person behind the counter is like "you should smell this weed" and i just sort of sniff it and go "why yes that is weed, ty"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol, yuuuuuuup

and btw if you want some sleepy stuff, just buy a bag and put it back. i didnt do it on purpose, but i found a bag of weed from 2018 last month and i been smokin on it at night. it got incredibly CBN heavy and thats the sleepy part.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
scalping bot infra stays winning

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Zlodo posted:

actually we're in 2022 op

what now bicth

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what now bicth

Cat Face Joe posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I haven't bought computer bits anywhere but microcenter in years

once Newegg started their marketplace stuff I stopped buying from them, and amazon is just terrible

plus if you go to microcenter you can just have the thing right then instead of waiting for your prime 2 day shipping that gets delayed and now it's 5-7 day shipping but what are you gonna do about it