Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Cloudbuilt: 3D obstacle course platformer. Despite being released in 2014 it's getting a major update sometime soon.

The update dropped, and it's great. Between that and the gameplay changes from 2020, Cloudbuilt ended up beating out its own remake, Ghostrunner, and the System Shock remake for the position of "my favourite game of 2023". I've now cleared the whole thing (including the super-hard optional Defiance levels) in normal mode and I'm not stopping, I've moved on to competitive mode and I'm trying for all lifekeys and at least some S-ranks. This game owns.

RIP to the like eight games I picked up in the holiday sales that I was previously super excited about, they are going to have to wait because I have to rocket-boot myself into oblivion another sixty times in pursuit of shaving 250ms off my best time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
This one I think I found in the puzzle games thread and I'm a little obsessed with it - Tunnet

In this game you are a network technician and you're tasked with building a computer network and connecting together servers in an underground bunker complex. Starts out just laying some cables between computers, but pretty soon you're debugging, filtering, routing packets, etc. It's also part minecraft-like because you can freely dig tunnels between the bunkers (potentially destroying your cables in the process :negative:). There's some incremental gameplay because your network generates money to buy upgrades and new network devices. Oh, and there's horror elements. This is the exact type of one person's weird fun passion project that I love.

Judging from the reviews the total play time is about 10hrs and it's also pretty cheap.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Oh hey, this thread. I fell off updating cause I was moving at the end of August but I've been keeping my list updated, so here's part 1 of what I've found since my last post.

Battery Hunter: A really short kinda zeldalike? It's amusing while it lasts.

Chemical Sort: A really fantastic procgen puzzle game. Good for coffee breaks and other situations where you have a few minutes.

Choo Choo Charles: Train fight.

Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist: A very short free game from the designer of the Stanley Parable.

Frog Hop: It's kind of a basic platformer but pretty well done.

Islets: A metroidvania from the team that did Sheepo. I think this one's slightly better known.

Little Orpheus: A journey through the center of the earth against a deadline to explain what happened.

Moonleap: A short puzzle game with some light platforming elements.

Poly Vita: Another short puzzle game.

Submerged: Hidden Depths: Basically the same as the first game but I really liked that one so this is good too.

Viking Hiking: One of the better student projects.

Where the Snow Settles: A walking simulator with some light gameplay set in a frozen world.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Part 2:

Agent A: A Puzzle in Disguise: Spy vs. spy with logic puzzles.

Ato: A short boss rush-focused metroidvania.

DERE Vengeance: Horror platformer; sequel to DERE EVIL EXE.

Franzen: A short free RPG that's pretty basic once you strip away the weirdness of the setting.

Kill the Crows: Take on an army of bandits with a six-shooter.

Lumbearjack: Break technological stuff in the woods.

Manafinder: Another one of the better RPGMaker games. The mechanics here are pretty different but it works.

Orbo's Odyssey: Short 3D platformer that's a great way to pass an evening.

Pale Night: A longer 2D platformer where daylight kills you.

Planet of Lana: One of the better INSIDE-likes.

Prose & Codes: Letter substitution ciphers based on public domain literature.

Robotherapy: A short VN about robots who killed all the humans and still aren't happy.

Steel Racer: An incredibly basic but still decent racing game.

The Forest Quartet: Light puzzles in service of a well-done narrative.

The Sirena Expedition: A PSX-style atmospheric horror game at the bottom of the sea.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Excellent, thank you!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Part 3, finishing out everything I've played up till the start of this sale.

Doors: Paradox: A nice sequence of bite-sized escape room puzzles.

Grimhook: First person platforming with Lovecraftian powers. I don't know if I'd recommend this if it weren't free, but as it is it's worth checking out.

Inua - A Story in Ice and Time: I guess it's a VN? A narrative piece dealing with Canadian history.

Mossy Pixels: A relaxing free game that I guess could generously be called a puzzle.

Perspective: An old student project where you control the platforming layout by what you're looking at.

SANABI: Bionic Commando + Katana Zero with a sad dad. With 13000 reviews it's not obscure but no one here is talking about and some of you should be.

Soul's Spectrum: One of the best puzzle games you've never heard of.

Where's My Loot?: A decent hidden object game to kill about 30 minutes.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
It’s hidden based on Steam review thresholds but maybe not as much here on SA due to the 28 page thread, but big callout for Void Stranger.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

ultrafilter posted:

SANABI: Bionic Commando + Katana Zero with a sad dad. With 13000 reviews it's not obscure but no one here is talking about and some of you should be.

How in the gently caress has Steam never recommended this to me. How have I never seen or heard of it anywhere?? :psyduck: Thanks for this one, only about an hour and change in so far but it's definitely calling to mind both of those games in the best kind of ways, occasional weird hiccups in the dialogue notwithstanding.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Updated impressions: I was liking everything about this game up until the shuffling obstacle course boss. It was novel for about a minute, but this thing needed to be about a third as long or have four times as many checkpoints, holy poo poo. I'm not sure I'll even be able to get past this.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That’s the only really bad part. It’s worth struggling through to get to the rest of the game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

American Arcadia: It's like The Truman Show but a video game. The gameplay is a little bit basic but the story is really fantastic.

Color Odyssey: A simple platformer with a world switching mechanism.

Maiden & Spell: Magical girl bullet hell boss rush that just oozes charm. Playing the vs mode against the computer is a great way to kill a few minutes.

Tails of Trainspot: Narrative puzzle game about building a railway.

The Multi-Medium: A really beautiful platformer and a steal even at full price.

We Are Eva: Another world-switching platformer, but not at all simple.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

20 Small Mazes: Mazes with gimmicks. Not a bad way to pass an hour or so.

After Us: A post-apocalyptic adventure game. 10/10 for aesthetics, slightly less for actual gameplay.

Astra Hunter Zosma: Absolutely fantastic free RPG.

Conbunn Cardboard: A short 3D platformer entirely focused on collecting.

Ex Vitro: It's not not Metroid but it is good.

Lapin: A precision platformer about a group of rabbits fleeing their home. The cutscene to gameplay ratio is kinda high but not to the point where it's a real issue.

LunarLux: A futuristic RPG with a combat system inspired by Undertale. I would've preferred a longer main story and less sidequests, but what's here is good.

Nut City Blues: A short free VN about animal cops and pineapple pizza.

Project Kat - Paper Lily Prologue: A short free RPGMaker horror game. Currently at 99% positive based on ~4400 reviews, which I think is the highest rating I've ever seen.

Sheepy: A Short Adventure: A short free platformer with excellent aesthetics.

Trail of the Wretched: A short free VN about life on the frontier.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

8-Colors Star Guardians +: A puzzle dressed up as an RPG with an amusing story. Some of the later missions involve a little more luck than I'd like, but it's overall a good game.

Cosmic Collapse: Tetris + 2048 + planets.

Henchman Story: A really excellent VN, recommended for comic book fans. You can be a hero, conquer the world, or just quit.

Start Again: A Prologue: Time loop JRPG and prequel to In Stars and Time.

The Tale of Bistun: More walking simulator than ARPG. The ending's not great but I enjoyed the game enough to recommend it.

The Wizard and the Slug: Narrative platformer that really ought to better known than it is.

Tinykin: Pikmin-inspired 3D platformer collectathon.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bless you ultrafilter, thank you so much for maintaining this thread

e: I should say that Cosmic Collapse is a take on the Suika Game genre in case anyone is familiar with those

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the roguelike thread:

StarkRavingMad posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2455920/Mimic_Logic/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256982748/movie480_vp9.webm

Do you like the "one of these guys always lies, and one always tells the truth" kind of logic puzzle? Here it is as a roguelike. Pretty neat for $3.99.

It's really good!!!

Paperboy
Nov 20, 2018

:shepface:
https://flashpointarchive.org/

Flashpoint Archive has all those flash games that you used to love. Since we're recommending gems, I always loved Anti-Idle: The Game from Kongregate, it's on there. "8 Ball Quick Fire Pool" is also pretty fun.

Flashpoint comes with some built in lists of top games and animations and stuff so that's cool too. Here's a quick screenshot of the first page of one of the lists.

The Elephant Collection on Steam is another great collection of (remastered) flash games, the ones with the blue elephant like "Elephant Rave" and "Achievement Unlocked" etc.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Paperboy posted:

Flashpoint Archive has all those flash games that you used to love. Since we're recommending gems, I always loved Anti-Idle: The Game from Kongregate, it's on there. "8 Ball Quick Fire Pool" is also pretty fun.

Flashpoint comes with some built in lists of top games and animations and stuff so that's cool too. Here's a quick screenshot of the first page of one of the lists.

The Elephant Collection on Steam is another great collection of (remastered) flash games, the ones with the blue elephant like "Elephant Rave" and "Achievement Unlocked" etc.

This is a really good shout. It's one of the easier ways to play all the Papa Louie games.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Just learned about the thread, some personal favs:

Aviary Attorney https://store.steampowered.com/app/384630/Aviary_Attorney/

Ace Attorney-like, bird lawyers solving animal crimes in 1840s France. Character art from a 19th century caricaturist, what should be a silly gimmick ends up really working as this trip through seedy parts of the other French revolutions and how society is functioning with the aristocracy restored after the more notable French revolution. Extremely charming and delightful. One of the devs later went on to make:

Small Saga https://store.steampowered.com/app/1320140/Small_Saga/

Mouse fantasy rpg about trying to kill the gods/humans. Level ups are largely plot focused rather than exp-focused, but its also easy to get overpowered and cut through bonus bosses. Still a great time and I was really fascinated with all the ways it plot did and didn't complicate itself.

The Big Con https://store.steampowered.com/app/1139280/The_Big_Con/

Point and click about heisting your way through 90s sitcom America. Going through different areas and seeing all the ways you can try and choose to grift people (or choose to spare from your grifts if they clearly can't afford it). Incredibly dorky but endearing humor, fun little twists and turns, overall just a great ride. On sale until April 18th for less than $5.

Helen's Mysterious Castle https://store.steampowered.com/app/418190/Helens_Mysterious_Castle/

$2 RPGmaker about a girl going through a castle of monsters. Exp points are invested into weapons, building a fun framework of deciding whether to keep upgrading a weapon or sell it off for better gear you can upgrade. Very short, very satisfying, just a great experience for a great price.

Forklift Load https://store.steampowered.com/app/1392490/Forklift_Load/

Sentient Forklift Simulator. Wander through abandoned streets, struggle through finnicky controls, but most importantly stay patient and sit in the chill post-apocalyptic vibe of being a sentient forklift.

Why Am I Dead At Sea https://store.steampowered.com/app/359400/Why_Am_I_Dead_At_Sea/

Another RPGmaker about being a ghost on a cruise ship. Possess different staff and guests, slowing gaining more control as you learn more about them. Solve the mystery of who you are + who killed you before your body decays too much for your ghost to maintain itself. The game can be glitchy and unintuitive but I think about it once a week even years and year later. One of my favorite little indie gems of all time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Paperboy posted:

Some really good stuff here. Some of my favorites: Go To Hell (digging/platformer), The Pretender (puzzle with some light platforming), The Deeplight Expedition (difficult platformer), Seedling (zeldalike), Pandora's Seed (zeldalike).

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Nerdietalk posted:

Small Saga https://store.steampowered.com/app/1320140/Small_Saga/

Mouse fantasy rpg about trying to kill the gods/humans. Level ups are largely plot focused rather than exp-focused, but its also easy to get overpowered and cut through bonus bosses. Still a great time and I was really fascinated with all the ways it plot did and didn't complicate itself.

I found Small Saga to be absolutely charming, as someone who grew up playing RPGs in the 90s. The battle screen reminds me so much of Shining Force 1/2, though the graphics are obviously better. It's definitely not difficult, and I found the level up system to be pretty novel. I need to go back and finish the game.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Nerdietalk posted:

Aviary Attorney https://store.steampowered.com/app/384630/Aviary_Attorney/

Ace Attorney-like, bird lawyers solving animal crimes in 1840s France. Character art from a 19th century caricaturist, what should be a silly gimmick ends up really working as this trip through seedy parts of the other French revolutions and how society is functioning with the aristocracy restored after the more notable French revolution. Extremely charming and delightful. One of the devs later went on to make:

I really liked this game, charming characters and aesthetics, and a surprising level of commitment to the historical setting.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

both Aviary Attorney and Small Saga are from Darya Noghani, so if you like one chances are very high you like the other too. They're both amazing and what I find a rare example of good humor (some critzised SM for its takes on current culture but I liked it)

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

haldolium posted:

both Aviary Attorney and Small Saga are from Darya Noghani, so if you like one chances are very high you like the other too. They're both amazing and what I find a rare example of good humor (some critzised SM for its takes on current culture but I liked it)

I mean Small Saga's takes on current culture kinda boil down to "being gay is awesome and we need to punch more nazis" soooo really the harshest thing you can say about it is that it understates how many nazis you need to punch in order to enact effective regime change

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Always gotta rep for Spybot: The Nightfall Incident, whenever flash games come up. Surely all the other surprisingly decent Lego flash games must be in there too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shape of the World. chill first person journey through surreal nature environments that shift around you. good soundtrack.

https://i.imgur.com/RAsY9di.mp4

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Arzette: The Jewel of Faramore: A game in the style of the CD-I Zelda games. It's a pretty good game that sits sort of halfway in between Zelda II and a metroidvania, but it's also bringing some of the strongest shitposting energy I've ever seen.

Drilbert: Cute physics-based puzzler.

Jailbreaker: A tough one-button platformer.

Landlord of the Woods: A "puzzle" game that isn't a bad way to spend an hour.

Life Eternal: Short RPGMaker point and click.

Misericorde: Volume One: A kinetic novel detailing life in a nunnery in late 15th century England. Supposedly very historically accurate, and absolutely incredible. Volume 2 will be a day one purchase for me.

Paper Lily: Free RPGMaker horror game that's about as good as that genre gets. The prologue is the highest-rated game I've seen on Steam.

Penny Larceny: Gig Economy Supervillain: An excellent VN that's at least what you'd expect from the title.

The Ramsey: A decent mid-length metroidvania. The platforming will put some people off but you'll know within the refund period whether it's for you.

Tower of Fire: The Sword of Unspoken Misc: Power metal meets Zelda.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Misericorde featured very highly in the Games forum GOTY voting last year.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I absolutely adored Landlord of the Woods and her subsequent game Birth. If the art style and descriptions feel like they want to grab you, please play them! Creepy and cozy and lovely.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Birth is amazing. Hard to put into words why exactly but it's a very cool and unique experience.

Added Misericorde and Penny Larceny to my wishlist, thanks! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Forgot to mention that Penny Larceny is bundled with Henchman Story, which was one of my recs for last month.