Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've become obsessed with Othercide and I don't honestly know if anyone is still playing it after it launched with only one(!) difficulty level: brutal.

Oooo well that's going straight back on the wishlist, thanks for the write up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/app/769560/_Night_of_Full_Moon/

Night of the Full Moon is basically a Slay the Spire rogue like deck builder game that’s almost just as good but it’s made with a ton of love by the developers. If you like Slay the Spire, the base game is free to try and you can unlock different decks and modes by giving the devs a few bucks. It’s also on mobile, iOS at least, not sure about Android.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

moosferatu posted:

Phoenotopia: Awakening: Metroidvania-Zelda 2-like. It's a huge, gorgeous game. It is a challenging game, and there is a little jank to it, but I still had a lot of fun with it.

As anyone who's seen my avatar and my posts in the Switch thread can attest, this is one of my favorite games of the past few years. It's huge, it's full of charm, it's got a ton of secrets, and it's a hell of an experience. It's also as challenging as you want it to me with various assist mode features. Combat can be a bit tricky since your melee weapon is so short, but you get long range options soon enough that makes things much easier.

There's a lot of game there, and secrets hiding everywhere. Just a phenomenal game.

https://mobile.twitter.com/m64_ss/status/1337715949588254721

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

HopperUK posted:

Oooo well that's going straight back on the wishlist, thanks for the write up!

:cheers:

It's wild to me that it's only 10$ now... steam sales are still outstanding, if you go niche enough haha.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Rusted Warfare is a decent, little, kind of simplistic Total Annihilation-like with a strangely hefty and active* mod scene. Interestingly, it actually uses assets from an unreleased Amiga RTS game called Hard Vacuum so there's history there. It's also only 5bux when not on sale.

*In large part done by one guy who's made literally dozens of mods for the game, from single units to full on total conversions.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I really wanted to like Phoenotopia but it just didn't feel good to play and I had to call it quits. All of the issues I had were obvious within the refund window and might not be a problem for someone else, so I'd say it's definitely worth checking out if you think it might be up your alley.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Spider Rite of the Shouded Moon is a fanatic game that never found an audience. You play as a spider or walrus gobbling up insects in mansion full of secrets (both in game and outside the game). What you can capture is affected by the time of day, weather and moon phase. It's made by Ex-Looking Glass devs so the game has amazing pedigree for something that sold so poorly.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/278420/Spider_Rite_of_the_Shrouded_Moon/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Blue Reflection: Second Light: Another magical girl JRPG that I think is somewhat well-known in the RPG thread but not at large. Big vibes game with an amazing OST.

Can you write more on why you're recommending this and not the first one? I'm very curious...and need an excuse to hop into the first one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can you write more on why you're recommending this and not the first one? I'm very curious...and need an excuse to hop into the first one.

I knew about Blue Reflection 1 when it came out in 2017, but didn’t play it myself because of the rather middling reviews it got at the time. I did, however, listen to the soundtrack fairly often because it was amazing. When Second Light released last year, the reviews were much stronger so I felt comfortable getting it for myself. BR2 did a fine job filling me in on the events of the first game and I don’t feel like I missed out on anything, although now I might go back and play the first game. I think even BR1 fans admit that the story and characters were somewhat lacking, even if the dreamlike vibes were there from the beginning. Second Light has an almost entirely new cast and well-written characters.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1975360/DRAINUS/
The only shmup that hooked me. It has a cool mechanic where you absorb enemy lasers and reflect them back. Incredibly satisfying.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Pill Baby A woman takes a job in a strange country and the job is to take pills and beat up weird delusions/monsters. It's a single-plane beat 'em up that feels good. Has a lot of sad vibes and indie introspection.

Seconding both of these. They're good games that are worth checking out.

Hank Morgan posted:

Spider Rite of the Shouded Moon is a fanatic game that never found an audience. You play as a spider or walrus gobbling up insects in mansion full of secrets (both in game and outside the game). What you can capture is affected by the time of day, weather and moon phase. It's made by Ex-Looking Glass devs so the game has amazing pedigree for something that sold so poorly.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/278420/Spider_Rite_of_the_Shrouded_Moon/

Apparently the servers that they used for the weather info are permanently down and it's breaking the game. Shame, it looked interesting.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Crystal Project just came out this year, and it's not on a deep sale for the holidays (25%), but outside of the Final Fantasy V goon discord I think it's probably still a hidden gem.

Giving a second recommendation for Crystal Project. Got me to put down Elden Ring to play it.

Along similar lines of job-based games, I'd throw out recommendations for Voidspire Tactics, Alvora Tactics, and Horizon's Gate, which are all available in a bundle.

Just really fun tactical SRPGs, with Voidspire being a big dungeon crawl, Alvora being more of a roguelike (although I didn't play it more than once), and Horizon's Gate mixing a tactical SRPG with Uncharted Waters, the old SNES age of exploration game. The games improve with each iteration, so I would play them in order, but all of them are good. I want this dude to keep making these sorts of games, so please support them!

Another game I don't really see talked a lot is Monster Sanctuary, which is a metroidvania combined with a pokemon-esque monster trainer. Instead of just throwing out an egg to capture the monsters, you're graded in combat based on damage taken, rounds it took, etc., and you need the top grade to get the monster. For most random encounters this is no problem, but some of the bosses took me some effort to get. Each monster gets its own skill tree, so while they're generally some flavor of elemental attack, you can still set up some nice combos and synergies. The metroidvania aspects were functional but not memorable, but the entire package comes together really nicely.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Giving a second recommendation for Crystal Project. Got me to put down Elden Ring to play it.

Along similar lines of job-based games, I'd throw out recommendations for Voidspire Tactics, Alvora Tactics, and Horizon's Gate, which are all available in a bundle.

Just really fun tactical SRPGs, with Voidspire being a big dungeon crawl, Alvora being more of a roguelike (although I didn't play it more than once), and Horizon's Gate mixing a tactical SRPG with Uncharted Waters, the old SNES age of exploration game. The games improve with each iteration, so I would play them in order, but all of them are good. I want this dude to keep making these sorts of games, so please support them!

Another game I don't really see talked a lot is Monster Sanctuary, which is a metroidvania combined with a pokemon-esque monster trainer. Instead of just throwing out an egg to capture the monsters, you're graded in combat based on damage taken, rounds it took, etc., and you need the top grade to get the monster. For most random encounters this is no problem, but some of the bosses took me some effort to get. Each monster gets its own skill tree, so while they're generally some flavor of elemental attack, you can still set up some nice combos and synergies. The metroidvania aspects were functional but not memorable, but the entire package comes together really nicely.

Ooh yes Monster Sanctuary is a lovely little thing! I like that you can build the same monster different ways by climbing the skill trees differently so you can have like, a support slime or a debuff slime or an attack slime or what have you.

I've been playing a bit of Motor Town: Behind the Wheel and it's a nice little driving game. You have an open-world little island with a few cities and a lot of countryside between and you can do a whole load of different little driving jobs. You level up different kinds of driving (taxi, bus etc) and then you can drive bigger vehicles and take on better jobs. The style is quite flat and cartoony but it comes together very nicely when the lighting changes and such. There are lots of cars to collect. I saw a truck run over a krampus/chupacabra/demon and the creature puffed into smoke and then the truck crashed, that really happened, I think it might be part of the Christmas event?? It has multiplayer. It's not a *lot*, like if you want to dedicate yourself to proper trucking you'll want Euro Truck or ATS, but if you just wanna mess around with vehicles a bit, there it is. And it has internet radio integration.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Desolation Tycoon

a very simple but addictive trading game where you are a merchant running a trade caravan in the apocalypse

the graphics are simple, and in many ways the game is simple, but it's a really addictive game to chill with and let the world fade away for awhile

High Strategy: Urukon

it's like a minimalist euro strategy board game - you control a faction on a large map, and every turn you can only take one of 10 actions to pursue your faction's goal

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
Probably not so hidden but I'd like to give a shout out to Tiny Rogues. It's similar in spirit to Binding Of Isaac and Hades, but shorter in form. It's a lot more forgiving than both of the mentioned games, but there are options to increase the difficulty and rewards. It's a LOT of fun even in its early access mode, and the dev is always adding new twists.

Also its cheap. And I can't stop playing this drat game.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
16 Ways to Kill a Vampire at McDonalds is a short, fun and free Twine game. You're on your night off, just grabbing some fast food, but there's a vampire in this McDonalds, and if you don't do something, it will eat the cute cashier.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Sunblaze

quote:

Lead Josie into her retired superhero dad's training simulator! But beware, the training room might go rogue, and keep you inside... Sunblaze is a brain-twisting precision platformer with hundreds of challenging, handcrafted levels to keep you dying for hours and hours.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256837268/movie480_vp9.webm

This one gets its own post because it's the most underrated game I know of and it deserves a bit of a spotlight.

Pretty much all of the Celeste-inspired platformers out there are pale imitations. They might be briefly amusing, or they might just remind you how much better Celeste is, but they're not bringing anything new to the genre. Sunblaze is the exception and it's well worth your time and money. It's roughly as difficult as the A sides, but because every level takes place on a single screen, there's not much room for a lot of elements. That means that there are things you need to interact with multiple times, so there's a lot more emphasis on figuring out the right order to do things than on just executing a relatively simple plan.

There are also alternate versions of the levels that open up when you get enough collectibles. They're hard like the B sides, but instead of just being more of the same they introduce new mechanics as well. Some of those are good enough that they could've gone in the main game, and a few are visions of what the developer could've tortured you with.

Everything other than the level design is good enough. The plot is serviceable, the interactions between Josie and her dad are entertaining, and the soundtrack won't get on your nerves as you die over and over again. I spent about 15 hours here doing everything except for the achievements that require you to go through all the levels without dying (lol), and I was definitely left wanting more. Give this one a chance and watch the dev to see what they do next.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I really like the idea of this thread, already bookmarked a bunch of games.

A Cat In The Box: A RPGMaker style horror game about a girl looking for Internet fame by spelunking through abandoned buildings. Let's just say she picked the wrong mansion for this. If you like this type of games and have played through all the usual recommendations, this one should be right up your alley.

Cooking Companions: A Visual Novel about the dangers of cooking without any ingredients.

It goes without saying that you should play these at night. There aren't really any jumpscares, not of the FNAF kind.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Is Sunblaze similarly accessible? I am Not Good at platformers and Celeste had such good options for me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Is Sunblaze similarly accessible? I am Not Good at platformers and Celeste had such good options for me.

There's everything from a slightly higher double jump to outright invincibility.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Highfleet

An extremely unique, immersive and difficult steampunk game with a few modes of play. Theres actually a games thread that describes it better than I can... I will warn there's a pretty steep learning curve, but if that doesn't scare you off and these do anything for you, check it out!

Edit well i cant figure out how to embed this on my phone so https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2674886078

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn4Im-oIlVo

Also do not start a nuclear war they have so many more missles than you :cthulhu:

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 1, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Appreciate the love for Copy Kitty and Lingo!

Thinking about cool games with very few reviews on Steam, and trying to ignore what I already posted in my 2022 GOTY list... here's some hidden gems I played this year:

Pocket Watch (61 reviews) - One of Sokpop's best games, a time-loop game where you play a duck that has to stop a volcano from destroying the local island. You get the eponymous Pocket Watch which allows you to reset the day at any point, as well as beds around the town to sleep in to advance time if you need. It's a short game (2-3 hours) but it's fun and it has a neat "awkward emulator 4x smoothing filter but on purpose" look

The Signifier (168 reviews) - An interesting walking simulator/investigative game that could be compared in some ways to Observer, where you enter the memories of the (very) recently deceased and hop between objective and subjective perspectives of events. Main character is voiced by the guy who voiced Jigen in the Adult Swim Lupin III dub. Has a cool look for the reconstructed memories; they basically utilize the inherent uncanniness of recreating locations through photogrammetry (see any Steam VR Home location like the Valve offices) to make locations that are just a little bit off and muddled.

Radical Rabbit Stew (68 reviews) - A top-down arcade-action puzzler where you have to slide rabbits into stew pots, but the rabbits can attack you. It's cool. It has a nice finger snap sound when you finish a level. The developer of this game went on to make Core Keeper, a significantly, significantly more popular game.

Prodigal (146 reviews) - Like a Gameboy Color Zelda but with NPCs you can build relationships with.

Room to Grow (119 reviews) - Snake meets Sokoban. Very devious, but allows you to skip levels if you are having trouble with them.

Night Reverie (181 reviews) - Inventory-puzzler adventure but with a top-down RPG style interface. Very vibrant colors and fairy tale like storytelling.

Okinawa Rush (86 reviews) - A side-scrolling 16-bit action game where you fight enemies with a proper fighting game moveset, definitely has some depth to its combat system. Also just looks and sounds cool, but I am a sucker for Genesis-style games.

White Lavender (103 reviews) - Bug Souls, by Sokpop. A short, silly Soulsy experience.

Castle on the Coast (36 reviews) - It's a bit floaty and odd looking (the NPCs in particular look like Miis), but I quite liked this short 3D platformer, because its moveset is tailored towards allowing you get pretty much anywhere you want. Get up on top of rooftops if you want, there's probably a collectable there.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 1, 2023

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Donut Dodo It's the best arcade platformer on Steam and the soundtrack absolutely rips, If you like games like Donkey Kong or the original Mario Bros, you'll love this.

Panic Porcupine It's like if Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Meat Boy were smashed together into a single game. Pretty cool.

Savage Halloween It's an homage to classic NES games like Contra. If it looks like something you'd enjoy, you almost certainly will. It feels good to play. It's short and sweet too.

Ord. A text adventure that is advanced one word at a time. Minimalist to an extreme. Won't be to everyone's tastes but it's a pretty interesting idea.

Nina JajaMaru: The Great Yokai Battle + Hell It's a crazed arcade game in the long running Jaleco Famicom series. It's like a super-frantic take on the Bubble Bobble style play. You unlock a lot of stuff and the final boss is really difficult and satisfying to beat. I played this so much that I ended up hurting my hand. It kicks rear end.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

TowerClimb - What if classic Spelunky, but even lower-res and in reverse; you start at the bottom and try to climb to the top. Also it is much, much harder. Also there's a Noita-esque level of obtuse hidden poo poo, and last I checked (which was admittedly a while ago) the dev had posted a teaser image of something that literally nobody has found yet. I'm not even sure what all this game is; I gather if you can actually make it past the first chapter poo poo starts getting really weird. It is absolutely brutal, I suck at it and don't think I'll ever get anywhere with it, yet I tremendously respect the hustle and would say it's a great choice if you've got the time and energy to dedicate to it.

8 Legs to Love (free) - Polar opposite of the spectrum, cute little arcade-style Pico-8 game built around web physics. Be a spider, make webs, eat bugs. I like to come back to this sometimes just to chill with.

Remnants of Naezith - Take the grapple and speedrun-focused design of Bionic Commando Rearmed's challenge rooms. Give it the blistering pace, flexibility, and mirror-polished movement physics of Celeste, and not-always-obvious shortcut routes that will test your mettle. Seamless integration with online leaderboards, player ghosts you can chase to work on improving your route, etc. It feels great, plays great, it's a cathartic as hell go-fast game. I've ruined my hands on this a few times now. Also on a nice fat discount presently.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 1, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Steam thread for the last two years got nuked so I'll repost these here, pretty sure they qualify given how little talk I've seen on any of them

victrix posted:

Gonna pitch two not-for-everyone games, since I've rarely seen them talked about

First, Biomass: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1138960/Biomass/

The easy shorthand would be 2d soulslike roguelike deckbuilder, but I think 'aggressively opaque extremely atmospheric sci fi weirdness' fits better. It starts out moody and strange and just gets progressively more bizarre.

It also has a really neat newgame+, where entirely new branches to the story will open up, and you can plow through the game very quickly using what you learned on your first playthrough (and if you get that far, you're likely to keep going, just to see more weird poo poo).

I will warn however, it is opaque to the point of you'll probably get stuck because you didn't intuit some weird rear end sorta-puzzle mechanic. There's a friendly discord, and you can find the info you need on the steam page, just beware of spoilers.

The closest analog I can think of in other media would probably be the manga Biomega.

(the least weird image from Biomega)

Second, The Final Station: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/1330/The_Final_Station_Collectors_Edition/

It has a train. Any game or movie is better with a train.

The entire game revolves around traveling from station to station as a conductor in a doomed (pre? post? present?) apocalyptic world, as strange zombie like creatures infest the towns and more momentous events in the background propel the story to its conclusion.

Gameplay wise, it's a borderline walking sim in some regards, the gameplay really isn't the draw here, it's all about the atmosphere and the story unfolding.

--

Neither of these games are going to be for everyone, but both are fairly short, and if you dig the vibes, you'll probably come away satisfied. Weird atmospheric poo poo is my jam, even if the gameplay isn't top notch (cf. Rainworld)

victrix posted:

Archvale https://store.steampowered.com/app/1296360/Archvale/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FME-NGoS2ig

It's a bullet hell action rpg, about :10bux: about 10 hours

It doesn't overstay its welcome, the graphics are charming, the music is charming, the controls are tight, the environment and enemy variety is nice, and there's a bazillion fun weapons and associated trinkets and gear to get your hands on and upgrade

There's a little bit of a bunch of games here, some diablo, some zelda, some nuclear throne/gungeon/realm of the mad god

I really enjoyed it, to the point where I was hoping the devs were working on some kind of followup, but I can't find any info on them, so I hope it did well enough to let them keep going :ohdear:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I've wishlisted so many games here. I'd probably have bought a load of them except I've blown my budget in the sale already. But next sale - next sale there'll be carnage.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

HopperUK posted:

Oh I have one I want to post!

Wilmot's Warehouse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAcyPIJYOx4
Written by a goon, IIRC.

If you like Picross-alikes (nonograms), Pixel Puzzle Makeout League is a great combination of a dating sim and nonograms. Highly recommended. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1131800/Pixel_Puzzle_Makeout_League/

Both of the following have great art, sound design, and music; very satisfying to play.

Regency Solitaire is a set of solitaire variants that let you put together a wardrobe, advance in society, and fall in love. The cut-scenes and plot are fun, and the advancing difficulty is offset by earning wildcards and other buffs. https://store.steampowered.com/app/351090/Regency_Solitaire/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/351090/Regency_Solitaire/
By the same company, Grey Alien Games, in the same genre, Shadowhand. You are a roadside highwaywoman trying to claim back your stolen inheritance. https://store.steampowered.com/app/427490/Shadowhand_RPG_Card_Game/

From the Hidden Gems page: Find All, Find All2: Middle Ages, and Find All 3:Travel, by Very Very LITTLE Studio. Two bucks each, charming enchanting hidden-object games. Whenever you find an object, it is colored in. When all objects are colored in, the entire scene is colored and you move on to the next one. Such soothing and intellectually challenging games to play. I had a big smile on my face when playing both of them.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1642220/FIND_ALL/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1722520/FIND_ALL_2_Middle_Ages/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1961520/FIND_ALL_3_Travel

The single most beautiful find-objects game I've ever played, Under Leaves. You're looking in a forest, or underwater, or in the tall branches of a tree. What pleases me most is that objects are botanically recognizable, and in places that they could naturally be. https://store.steampowered.com/app/567030/Under_Leaves/

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Here are a couple that I don't see get mentioned that much.

Happy's Humble Burger Farm is a horror game in which you are an employee in a fast food restaurant. Take people's order, grill the burgers, put it together and toss it to the customer. But if you mess up too many orders during your shift, a nightmare version of the mascot will stalk you until you feed it. Once your shift is done, you're free to explore your little part of the city as you please.

I first found this game after watching an LP by Manly Badass Hero. The plate-spinning game play of taking orders and trying to get everything ready quickly and correctly is weirdly fun, and the underlying story is interesting as well. The game doesn't really push you towards exploring the story, but rather drops breadcrumbs and lets you continue as you please. Once you beat it, you can unlock the endless shift. If you're ballsy, you can open the drive-thru as well.

----------------------------------

Prognostic is a horror game in which you (an orphan) inherit an old house from a fortune teller, and you must use various supernatural tools to solve old crimes and figure out what happened to your family.

The story progresses in a chapter format, which each chapter unlocking more of the house and additional divining tools. Use dowsing rods to determine where someone was at a specific time, throw runes or draw tarot cards to determine dark secrets of the victims or killers, and even determine the exact time of death of the victim based on their name and astrological sign.

The mysteries that you solve were interesting enough, and some were really cleverly handled. It is a shortish game, and I was able to finish it in a single 5 hour sitting. There is a mechanic where a ghost will periodically stalk you until you cover up the mirror it emerged from, but overall it wasn't too much of a nuisance as the ghost is a very old lady and is very slow.

------------
A bit older, but Way of the Samurai 3 and Way of the Samurai 4.

Both of these games are ports from their PS2 and PS3 versions respectively, and are small sandbox RPGs in which you play a swordsman who enters a town and encounters many events there. The games are meant to be played through multiple times, as there are multiple events you can access at a given time, and each event usually has multiple conclusions. Each "run" can be relatively short (a few hours), and upon completion (or death, if you choose) you can restart the cycle, with some of the things you unlocked carrying over. There is an extensive sword crafting and upgrading system in place where you can dismantle your enemies' swords and reassemble the parts, along with upgrading the blade.

The games are played straight, but doesn't take itself seriously at all, with a bunch of goofy things that pop up here and there.

WOTS 3

WOTS 4

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Arsenic Lupin posted:

From the Hidden Gems page: Find All, Find All2: Middle Ages, and Find All 3:Travel, by Very Very LITTLE Studio. Two bucks each, charming enchanting hidden-object games. Whenever you find an object, it is colored in. When all objects are colored in, the entire scene is colored and you move on to the next one. Such soothing and intellectually challenging games to play. I had a big smile on my face when playing both of them.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1642220/FIND_ALL/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1722520/FIND_ALL_2_Middle_Ages/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1961520/FIND_ALL_3_Travel

The single most beautiful find-objects game I've ever played, Under Leaves. You're looking in a forest, or underwater, or in the tall branches of a tree. What pleases me most is that objects are botanically recognizable, and in places that they could naturally be. https://store.steampowered.com/app/567030/Under_Leaves/

My son loves all of those. He's been playing all of them since he was like 4. Under Leaves is one of the chillest games ever made, it's also on Switch.

A124!
Jun 28, 2009
I would recommend the hideous and buggy Brigand: Oaxaca, it's the best Deux Ex-esque game I've played.

If games like EYE or the Boiling Point series resonated with you then this one probably will too.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Couple more recommendations:

Wintermoor Tactics Club: A very basic SRPG with some light visual novel/exploration. It's altogether a pretty shallow game, but I found the entire atmosphere very cozy. YMMV, but I liked the characters and their interactions with one another, and the NPCs were a pretty varied lot. It's pretty short overall, and I wouldn't get it at full price, but for some reason this just gelled with me.

Brutal Orchestra: Still in EA, but this is a really solid roguelike. Combat takes place in JRPG-ish fashion, with each character being pretty varied in how they play, even if they're in the same "role". The ink system provides some pretty interesting tactical and strategic decisions, as the only character who will have a regular source of ink (which enables you to use your attacks) is the MC, but if you generate too much ink, you take damage. It has definitely made me feel like both a genius and a fool for not taking it into further consideration. If you like the kind of "gross" art aesthetic that it has going (LISA is what popped in my mind), then you'll definitely like the art and style in here.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I've played through the action-rpg Seven several times but nobody I know has ever heard of it.

Isometric stealth-based exploration Action-RPG set in a cyber-fantasy landscape (once you get out of the tutorial). I've never had a game evoke the Ultima 7-ish "oh poo poo i'm gonna have to explore EVERY INCH OF THIS and STEAL EVERYTHING" as strongly as this game made by 'ex-witcher devs'. You can scale the outside of a building to avoid security cameras via your parkour abilities, kill a guard with your brain powers and wear his uniform. Or ghost it. There's so much going on in this game plus they released a really large free dlc area that's essentially a technofantasy version of Avenue 5. $6 on sale right this second.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I’ve recommended this game before and I’ll recommend it here:

Did you love King of Dragon Pass? Or its sequel Six Ages? Do you like Choose Your Own Adventures? Do you like dragons? Then I highly recommend Golden Treasure: The Great Green.

Play as a newly hatched dragon trying to survive. Hunt prey in turn based combat. Explore your first river valley environment. Run into local encroaching human tribes and get into trouble. Discover and collect treasures. Make deals with neighboring dragons. Grow and mature, and migrate to new lands. Claim your territory and defend it. Seek out a mate, or two. Seek wisdom. Seek the heart of nature. Grow ancient and wise. Then, in consultation with other dragons and after considering your experiences with humans, decide what kind of dragon you are and what you want the world’s future to look like.

It’s a charming, hand painted CYOA where you explore 3 spacious overworld maps with dozens of points of interest, play out stories, train 4 paths of skills, hunt, trade, and collect treasure. It has a touching story with 3 endings depending on your choices, all of which I consider valid and interesting.

It’s half off for the winter sale and absolutely worth getting. It also has a demo of the first act (of 3) if you want to try first. If you like story games or CYOAs I can highly recommend it. It has xml based files if you want to mod or cheat.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 2, 2023

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
Unsighted is a 2D Zelda-like, complete with dungeons, puzzles and new items that improve your traversal abilities - you could probably call it a Metroidvania too though it isn't a 2D platformer. combat is far better than any Zelda and instead is reminiscent of Hyper Light Drifter and FromSoft games. it has a very dense, interconnected world and is designed for replayability - the first playthrough is fairly linear, but you can use what you've learned on the first playthrough to very significantly sequence break subsequent playthroughs. there's not really much else that does what this does anywhere near as well and i'd easily call it a masterpiece

the one qualm people tend to have with it is that it has a real time countdown mechanic - it's worth engaging with (it's not as bad as it seems) but if you find it stressful there is an option to disable it, so don't let that put you off.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

haldolium posted:

Northern Journey - very interesting and absurd FPS made by one dev. Amazing soundtrack, but also full of spiders. Janky too but in a good way

Bought this on the thread advice and it’s…really something. It feels really dream-like, as if the main character actually died on the boat and this some sort of screwed up purgatory. The NPCs are all ugly and some of their personalities seem to match. The spiders and bugs are awful. The music fits the entire strange experience.

I’m really hoping the game keeps up with whatever it’s doing, it’s the most refreshing thing I’ve played since Cruelty Squad.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Merrill Grinch posted:

I've played through the action-rpg Seven several times but nobody I know has ever heard of it.

Isometric stealth-based exploration Action-RPG set in a cyber-fantasy landscape (once you get out of the tutorial). I've never had a game evoke the Ultima 7-ish "oh poo poo i'm gonna have to explore EVERY INCH OF THIS and STEAL EVERYTHING" as strongly as this game made by 'ex-witcher devs'. You can scale the outside of a building to avoid security cameras via your parkour abilities, kill a guard with your brain powers and wear his uniform. Or ghost it. There's so much going on in this game plus they released a really large free dlc area that's essentially a technofantasy version of Avenue 5. $6 on sale right this second.

I will second this one, I just finished a really thorough playthrough. It's really good.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

buglord posted:

Bought this on the thread advice and it’s…really something. It feels really dream-like, as if the main character actually died on the boat and this some sort of screwed up purgatory. The NPCs are all ugly and some of their personalities seem to match. The spiders and bugs are awful. The music fits the entire strange experience.

I’m really hoping the game keeps up with whatever it’s doing, it’s the most refreshing thing I’ve played since Cruelty Squad.

I watched Secret Sleepover Society play it and it's just - it's not quite outsider art but it kind of feels like that. It's remarkable. A genuine explosion of creativity.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Archvale and Unsighted are part of the Humble Collection, so have a look there if you want to try them out.

A few other RPGMaker games, this time non-horror:

The Case Book of Arne: A girl becomes a detective and assists a vampire in solving heinous cases. Charming and funny.

Angels of Death: A girl gets trapped inside of a scary place and tries to escape from a bunch of serial killers. Mysterious and deadly.

Noel: The Mortal Fate: A girl (there seems to be a pattern here) gets tricked into making a deal with the devil, but the devil decides to assist the girl to get back at the guy who tricked the girl. Suspenseful and surprising.

Arne and Noel are still ongoing, but don't let that stop you, they're quite good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dead Grid, a one man passion project zombie early access card battler(kinda) weird thing that I'm enjoying!

Zombies are here, you play as mercenaries scavenging supplies and helping survivors, yadda yadda the story is fine the gameplay is fuuun. Turn based combat, but every round you draw cards - skills, looting opportunities, etc. ... I have no idea how to further explain this! It's just - it feels good to play, I love popping in for a mission or two and leveling up my dudes and finding new guns. It captures the thrill of fightin' zombies and scavenging, which I adore. Good stuff.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Shadowman Remastered

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1413870/Shadow_Man_Remastered/

This is NightDive Studio's remastering of the N64 (and PC) cult classic Shadow Man. They're the guys that remastered the Turok games (go get those too!) and I think a few of the developers are Goons that post on here sometimes.

The good
The story, plot, and lore are all very well done. The settings will take you from the swamps of Louisianna, the streets of NY, a prison on lockdown due to riots, the London Underground, but most of the action takes place in Deadside, which is a mega creepy looking afterlife filled with zombies, blood waterfalls, and other such sights. For an original N64 game, its amazingly well done. There are five serial killer bosses you'll be tracking down and eliminating and they all have well written back stories, definitely don't skim through the in-game lore dumps. There's a decent amount of variety in weapons and powers and as you get more stuff, it opens up more of the game's world. There's some really cool looking Hellraiser type areas that are still creepy as hell looking for an N64 game that came out in the late 90's.

The bad
The controls were designed around the N64 controller and all the jank that comes with it. Nightdive has done an amazing job modernizing it, but there's still going to be times where you fight the controls, especially when platforming. The platforming has lots of anoying jumping puzzles and Tomb Raider type ledge grabs that will leave you screaming at times. It's never really that bad, and usually there's a path back up to where you fell. Still, its very annoying. The enemies get boring too, there's not much variety. Strafe around them and shoot until dead. The game has a lock on Z-targeting button that really helps.

The ugly
Holy crap, this game has massive amounts of backtracking! The game is approximately 60-70 hours long and most of that is due to backtracking through previous areas looking for dark souls. Holy poo poo it gets confusing! The corridors and areas all end up looking the same and you will absolutely get lost and not know where to go. Most likely this is because you haven't backtracked through EVERY previous area looking for 1 or 2 dark souls that you either missed or have become available due to a new weapon or power you grabbed. Unfortunately, there are no decent guides out there nor maps of the world. The internet is slacking on this game! There are some decent gamefaq walkthroughs, but you'll have to read paragraph of text descriptions and hope you figure out where to go that its describing...

Conclusion
If you love N64 era games like Jet Force Gemini, Banjo Kazooie, DK64, and the N64 Zelda's this is definitely worth a buy. If you played this game back in the day and still have nostalgia for it, NightDive has treated it with a lot of love and have made it playable in the modern era. But gently caress me does the backtracking and maze like levals ruin the overall experience. An in game map would’ve solved a ton of the criticisms this game got.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Twobirds posted:

I will second this one, I just finished a really thorough playthrough. It's really good.
Really? I tried to get into it several times and always bounced off (with stuff like some powers straight-up not working). Got any tips or builds that work?