Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

This game had a full release/major update/ expanded the soundtrack and went on sale.

It started out a little frustrating because it's unique/weird with the ink system but much like star renegades once it clicked I love it.

It oozes interesting art, music, style and decent dialogue/combat concepts.

It grabbed me hard last night and time flew, I need to put it on my steam deck for when work gets slow.

Had Brutal Orchestra on wishlist after some goon raved about it around xmas and finally picked it up over the weekend. I'm having a blast too, the combat is pretty competent, and the mood is deliciously weird between graphics, music and story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

With the 3ds store closing, lots of people have been suggesting games you can’t otherwise play on other platforms that are worth a purchase. One of these is kokuga. The designer of this game also made ikaruga. It’s a tank-based shmup and it’s rad as hell. You have to dodge bullets while slowly aiming your turret to shoot at enemies, and in each level you’re dealt 20 random items/cards that act as temporary power ups that you can spend whenever you see fit. This creates a fun risk-reward situation where you’re in the middle of a tough fight and wanting to look down at your cards to see if any of the current hand will be useful in the current situation; but look quickly or else you’ll get blown up! The music is suuuper sick too

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Pigmassacre posted:

Hey, thanks to both of you. I programmed Wunderling DX, and while I was at times a bit sad about the lack of attention it’s gotten I gotta say - hidden gem status is quite the badge of honour to be honest. :)

Thanks for making it. Hope you keep making games.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mages of Mystralia: Zelda with a pretty sophisticated magic crafting system. It's overkill for the base game but not for the optional puzzles.

Maya Star: A very purple metroidvania. It's borderline frustratingly difficult but still worth checking out.

Memoria: A very good point and click adventure game. It's a sequel to Chains of Satinav which I didn't think was that great, but you may find it interesting.

Mr Shifty: Hotline Miami with a guy who can teleport and punch through walls.

Ms.Director: RPGMaker horror with vamps instead of vampires. This one's got style.

My Memory of Us: A puzzle platformer set in a highly fictionalized version of the Netherlands circa 1940. It's a good game and it teaches a fair amount about the Dutch resistance, but obviously it still touches on some heavy subject matter.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

Mages of Mystralia: Zelda with a pretty sophisticated magic crafting system. It's overkill for the base game but not for the optional puzzles.

Maya Star: A very purple metroidvania. It's borderline frustratingly difficult but still worth checking out.

Memoria: A very good point and click adventure game. It's a sequel to Chains of Satinav which I didn't think was that great, but you may find it interesting.

Mr Shifty: Hotline Miami with a guy who can teleport and punch through walls.

Ms.Director: RPGMaker horror with vamps instead of vampires. This one's got style.

My Memory of Us: A puzzle platformer set in a highly fictionalized version of the Netherlands circa 1940. It's a good game and it teaches a fair amount about the Dutch resistance, but obviously it still touches on some heavy subject matter.

Are you playing through all of Steam in alphabetical order?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I made a big push last year to clear out my backlog, and that resulted in me playing a lot of games that deserve a mention here (and some that don't). I'd been posting by month, and I'll go back to that once I catch up, but that would lead to some pretty big posts, so alphabetical it is for now.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Thanks so much for these posts ultrafilter. It's bloating my wishlist, but only with interesting stuff, so who can mind

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Over the Alps: A spy thriller VN.

Pewt 'em Up!: Nice free shmup.

Pocket Witch: A very basic platformer well done.

Rain on Your Parade: Be the bad weather.

Red Ronin: Turn-based Katana Zero.

Retro Kart Rush: An old Mario Kart game with the serial numbers filed off.

Röki: A very good point and click adventure.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

grate deceiver posted:

Ok, I'm very interested in insane auteur games, played this yesterday for 2 hours and there's a lot of cool stuff there. Looking at the steam forums briefly, seems like there is an incredible amount of content. But I need to know one thing - does the writing get better?
So far the dialogue is very cringy and some of the poetry I found on random bookshelves is absolutely terrible. It's like "my first RPGmaker game"-tier made by a teenager.

Don't need spoilers, just tell me if there's something later that recontextualizes this, or if this is just going to be it all the time.

I was more invested in the big picture and worldbuilding than the smaller individual pieces of writing so I don't know if I can answer that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

SAOMI: Basically a reskin of Pocket Witch, but that's a good game, so this one is too.

Shady Part of Me: Switch between top-down/isometric puzzles and 2D platform segments in a (maybe slightly pretentious) story about mental health.

Shieldmaiden: A decent action platformer. The controls are a little too loose for me to say it's great, but it's worth checking out on sale.

Shiro: Another action platformer. It's short, but it's $1 right now, and it's worth that.

Shirone: the Dragon Girl: This looks like shovelware with a cute female lead slapped on to drive up sales, but it's actually a really good puzzle game with some light platforming elements.

Shuffle World: A puzzle platformer where you have to arrange the segments of the world, often several times per level.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So who wants to make a hidden gems thread for the hidden gems thread.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

ChrisBTY posted:

I was more invested in the big picture and worldbuilding than the smaller individual pieces of writing so I don't know if I can answer that.

I played up to the refund limit, and I also read some posts by the dev, and it looks like that's just their style. Respect what it's doing, but it's not for me.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Fear & Hunger 2, is an exceptionally well made Silent Hill meets Battle Royal "game that hates you" in the style of the Lisa games. Probably one of the best games made if you're in a good headspace to play something like it. The first game is also good, but I'm not recommending it due to unnecessary graphic non-con sexual content which the author has thankfully taken feedback on and did not include in the sequel. That being said, this is still a pretty adult game and you should take the content warnings it provides seriously.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Sizeable: A short puzzle game where you shrink and grow elements of the scene to find hidden tokens.

Sliptime Sleuth: A detective game with a neat time-travel mechanism.

Star Seeker in: the Secret of the Sorcerous Standoff: A short detective adventure about criminal wizards.

Still Heroes: A short comic about a young woman adjusting to life after being a superhero.

STOP AND MOVE: A momentum-based platformer where you can pause your character while the level keeps going.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Sizeable: A short puzzle game where you shrink and grow elements of the scene to find hidden tokens.

Sliptime Sleuth: A detective game with a neat time-travel mechanism.

Star Seeker in: the Secret of the Sorcerous Standoff: A short detective adventure about criminal wizards.

Still Heroes: A short comic about a young woman adjusting to life after being a superhero.

STOP AND MOVE: A momentum-based platformer where you can pause your character while the level keeps going.

I've played Sizeable! It's pretty cute, lots of fun little interactions when you make things bigger or smaller.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Sunshine Manor: Kinda like rpgmaker horror games but on easy mode with more platforming.

Super Alloy Ranger: Yet another pretty good Megaman-like.

Super Cable Boy: A very good platformer.

Super Crush KO: Sidescrolling beat-'em-up platformer.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Tales from Windy Meadow: A visual novel about three kids in a small rural town making major life decisions. There's a remake coming out later this year.

Tatuball: The game describes itself as a minimalist lo-fi puzzle and that seems pretty fair.

The Ghost Cage: RPGMaker point and click about renting a haunted house.

The Oni Sellsword: A bite-size RPG about an ogre trying to save a princess.

The Rusty Sword: Vagabond Island: An extremely short zeldalike (~20 minutes) but what's there is good.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Transiruby: A short metroidvania with nice pixel art about an android who can transform into vehicles.

Trash Bomber: A cute little hidden object game, good for when you need to kill two minutes.

Vacant Kingdom: Bullet hell + zeldalike.

Wallachia: Reign of Dracula: A punishingly difficult action platformer. I have the achievement for finishing the last level without dying and I think that's the proudest that any Steam achievement has made me.

What Lies in the Multiverse: A narrative-focused puzzle platformer where everything is done well.

Winds Rhapsody: A mini-RPG that could be the demo of something promising but works well as is.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Caves of Lore - saw this mentioned on an indie hits list alongside Tunic, Cruelty Squad, Baba is You, etc. Never heard of it before, but it's pretty drat good. Single dev, 6 years in the making. It's a retro dungeon crawler crpg, reminds me a lot of Spiderweb's Exile games.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

January 2023

Asterigos: Curse of the Stars: A moderately difficult soulslike with really fantastic characters. It's not often that a 50 hour game leaves me wanting more but this one did.

Bunny's Flowers: Sokoban with portals. Fortunately it's short and never has a chance to get too difficult because this absolutely could be incredibly difficult if the devs wanted that.

Sheepo: Decent combat-free metroidvania.

Trigger Witch: It's like A Link to the Past if Link had a shotgun. It's a pretty good game, but I absolutely need someone else to play this one so I can prove to myself that I'm not hallucinating the final boss.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Mechabellum: Extremely strategic autobattler. All about unit choice, placement, and what upgrades to get. Minor RNG at the start of the match about what starting army you get, then it's perfectly mirrored every round. Victory is all on you. Very engaging! Reminds me of Starcraft, but without any micro. Currently $15, plans to go free to play in a year or so.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

February 2023

A Juggler's Tale: Cute narrative platformer about a puppet who yearns to be free.

Defect Process: Imagine Dead Cells with all of the story and embellishments stripped away. It probably won't keep you busy for very long but it's entertaining for a bit.

FAITH: The Unholy Trinity: Imagine if The Exorcist had had a tie-in video game.

STELLABITS: Sokoban++ with a character switching mechanism.

Stereo Boy: Navigate two worlds at once and solve puzzles by switching between them.

System Purge: Short, difficult platformer with a light story.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
FAITH is extremely good; if the trailer catches your eye you’ll probably enjoy it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

FAITH is very good but it gave me at least two scares. Rated: spooky.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
You can play the original release on itch, the full version has a lot more game.

https://airdorf.itch.io/faith

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

ultrafilter posted:

Trigger Witch: It's like A Link to the Past if Link had a shotgun. It's a pretty good game, but I absolutely need someone else to play this one so I can prove to myself that I'm not hallucinating the final boss.

Nope it wasn't just you.

big spoiler

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Sankara posted:

Mechabellum: Extremely strategic autobattler. All about unit choice, placement, and what upgrades to get. Minor RNG at the start of the match about what starting army you get, then it's perfectly mirrored every round. Victory is all on you. Very engaging! Reminds me of Starcraft, but without any micro. Currently $15, plans to go free to play in a year or so.

This game is really good.

If you liked wc3/starcraft custom games, or generally just enjoy autobattlers or tower defense, this game is for you.

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 30, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

March 2023

A Wholesome Game About Farming: It's what the title says. There are certainly no vampires here.

Conjury Revell: Pretty good for a student project.

Handshakes: If you want a Sokoban game but it has to involve severing hands, this is what you've been looking for.

Kandria: Goon-made open world platformer that more people need to really check out.

There Swings a Skull: Grim Tidings: A very strange narrative RPGMaker-type thing.

This Way Madness Lies: An RPG about a group of magical girls trying to save the worlds of Shakespeare from the forces of chaos. This one's got some real mechanical depth and on the higher difficulty levels you're going to have to think pretty hard. By the devs of Cosmic Star Heroine.

Tomomi: A nice short metroidvania about the adventures of a dumbass lesbian who's really good with a sword.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
The first part of There Swings A Skull is on itch as well (it was in the Queer Games Bundle 2022) as PWYW. It's really good. I never knew the followup was out, thanks!

https://quinnk.itch.io/there-swings-a-skull

Twobirds fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 31, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Pale Echoes: This is a puzzle game pretending to be a JRPG that deserves more than a one-liner. You wander the remnants of a ruined world, occasionally switching into visions from before the end to make your way around. In the main areas exploration is straightforward, but some of the optional areas require some thought. In the past, you can acquire memories that function effectively as cards. Each combat encounter plays out the same way every time, but with a limited number of memories there can be quite a bit of thought required to get through some encounters. I think if you're interested you're better off trying it yourself than hearing me explain a lot more.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

grate deceiver posted:

Caves of Lore - saw this mentioned on an indie hits list alongside Tunic, Cruelty Squad, Baba is You, etc. Never heard of it before, but it's pretty drat good. Single dev, 6 years in the making. It's a retro dungeon crawler crpg, reminds me a lot of Spiderweb's Exile games.

I can't believe I missed this when it first came out earlier this year and am glad this thread exists, this is extremely my jam and from steam reviews it seems pretty meaty. I've played 3 hours and I'm impressed this is a solo dev game

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

April 2023

Blackout Hospital: Pretty decent free RPGMaker game. If you need to have all the loose ends wrapped up by the end of the game this one might not be for you, but other than that it's pretty good.

Children of Silentown: Delightfully creepy point and click game about a town in the forest where making noise is a bad idea....

Low Oxygen: Short free puzzle platformer.

Rayland: I love this sort of casual puzzle game and there's probably a bunch I could've posted, but I'm not going to go through and find them all. This one's good and recent enough that I wrote it down.

The Shadow Over Route 80: Nice short horror game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

May 2023

9 Years of Shadows: The basic metroidvania formula done well. There's nothing new here at all but it's a good game.

Elle: A modern take on the Lode Runner formula. There's a free spinoff with a stronger emphasis on puzzles if you want to try before you buy.

Freshly Frosted: Time to make the donuts but you have to figure out how first.

Gwen the Hen 64: I never had an N64 so I don't have a lot of nostalgia for it but this is a good game.

Rayland 2: More of the same but that's good.

Trash Quest: A short metroidvania about a raccoon trying to get into a space station's garbage room.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just finished Ctrl Alt Ego at 20hrs, I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread. Great indie 451-like that does some cool fresh things with the formula, highly recommend.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

June 2023

I spent this month trying to y down my backlog before the summer sale, so I had more games than usual, including a few that definitely go here.

Atone: Heart of the Elder Tree: A mix of a zelda-like map, VN style dialog trees, rhythm-based combat, and some light puzzling. It's kinda short but definitely worth picking up on sale.

Harlow: "Two clumsy robots plan a surprise party for the frozen colonists they stranded in this atmospheric platformer."

Machine Heart: Student project featuring two characters working together in separate time periods.

Overloop: Kill your clones to stop a cult in this platformer with action/puzzle elements.

Protodroid Delta: 3D Megaman-like. It's the dev's first game and there are some rough edges, but overall it's pretty solid.

Rytmos: Casual puzzler with a musical theme.

Teacup: A cute short point & click about a shy alligator trying to plan a tea party.

The Cleaner: Clean and romance while the world falls apart. I'd put this one in the same category as Grim Tidings.

The Gunk: Save the world by vacuuming up space pollution. Really well-done.

Unforgettable Voyage: A very good narrative puzzle game with character switching mechanics.

Wavetale: This is one of my favorite 3D platformers. Everything about it is good but the movement is so fluid that it really just takes it to the next level.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

July 2023

A Hint of Purple: Short free VN with an influence you may recognize. This would quickly wear out its welcome if it were any longer but it works as is.

Cache Grabbers: Goon-adjacent orienteering-based treasure hunt.

Feed All Monsters: A really nice puzzle game about feeding monsters.

How We Know We're Alive: Another short free narrative game, but this one's a point and click.

Pineapple on Pizza: I can't say anything about this without spoiling it, but it's free and about ten minutes long.

Rage Quest: The Worst Game: Tired of playing unintentionally terrible RPGMaker games? Try one where all the terrible bits are meant to be there. There's a payoff for suffering through it and it's worth it IMO.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

Feed All Monsters: A really nice puzzle game about feeding monsters.

Feed all Monsters is from DU&I who previously the addictive and criminally underpriced fuzzy polyomino puzzlers Cats Organized Neatly and Dogs Organized Neatly. So yeah, any puzzle game from them is an insta-buy from me!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 3, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ooh yeah I love that dev's stuff! Going to grab Feed All Monsters for sure.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ultrafilter posted:

Cache Grabbers: Goon-adjacent orienteering-based treasure hunt.

This game is weird and cool. Picked it up in the last steam sale when the goon posted about it being their brother’s game, and I’m about halfway done. There’s really nothing quite like it out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King and Blossom Tales II: The Minotaur Prince: These games are about as close to A Link to the Past as you can get without being shameless knockoffs. If you're a completionist they'll keep you busy for a while but you don't have to find everything if you're looking for a more casual experience.
Just platted the first game, and assuming the sequel isn't a huge dip in quality, I can second this recommendation. A very competent, slightly hard Zelda clone with plenty of game to it. Probably cheap during sales too.