Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will you finish your resolution?
Yes
No
I’m just doing this as a long term banme
View Results

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

:toxx: I will watch all of the Gintama Anime, including the 4 ova and the 3 films.

Still working on this, but I have completed the original run of Gintama. Most of what I had said in the first writeup for the first 57 episodes still applies, but I do think the writing has gotten more consistent, with most of the serious arcs and episodes landing their themes well and the majority of the comedic episodes being entertaining rather than medioce/boring. My only real complaint is sometimes you'll get a less serious arc that's a fine concept for an episode or maybe two, but it gets stretched out way too long, the two sticking out in my mind being the three parter monster hunter parody that was running out of jokes by the end of the first episode, and the six-parter otae fanclub arc, which wasn't even an interesting concept and went on for wayyyyyy too long.

I feel like it's kind of a double-edged sword having started Gintama so late. On the one hand, I can appreciate a ton of the references, parody, and wordplay with the show. On the other hand, a lot of the concepts and themes that might have been novel or fresh to someone who hasn't seem a ton of anime/manga and been influential for them just come across as rehashing what I've seen elsewhere, even if it is genuine. As of right now, balancing all the various factors, I would rate the initial 201 episode batch of Gintama a 7/10.

Anyways, onwards with Gintama' !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I stagnated for a bit there due to injuring my foot and knee but I'm making progress again after recovering and taking it easy.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I also watched the first gintama film, which is mostly jsut a retelling of the benizakura arc with a couple of bits of added foreshadowing, some changed jokes, and better animation. Just like with the original benizakura arc, i found it to be....lacking a bit. It was fine, a 6/10 arc/movie, but even with the elevated animation budget it isn't anything that will blow you away. The best part of the movie is definitely the warner bros jokes at the beginning and end of the film. That was a 10/10 joke.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Alright I stopped stagnating and now I'm down to just 10 lbs remaining!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Raenir Salazar posted:

Alright I stopped stagnating and now I'm down to just 10 lbs remaining!

:woop:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
GAOL REACHED!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Raenir Salazar posted:

GAOL REACHED!

Congratulations!

Speaking of goals, I've finished Gintama', Gintama' Enchousen', and the second movie. Both Gintama' and Enchousen i'd give a solid 8/10 rating: the quality of the arcs and episodic stories in these seasons was much higher in comparison to the original Gintama, and in particular i really enjoyed the Four Devas Arc, the Prison Arc, and The Courtesan of a Nation Arc. Really hoping that we can pay off all of these different factions being built up throughout the show by the end of the series.

As for The Final Chapter: Be Forever Yorozuya, it was a fine story, but i'm not really a fan of most time travel stories, especially when the logic of them falls apart/involves time paradoxes. It does help further solidify my love for Tama though as one of the best characters in the series though.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

how we doing? im doing poorly

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Normally I would have been done by now but I did a big move and then in the middle of moving poo poo happened that lead to me job hunting while still working so that consumes most of my free time right now.

Should be able to finish though, just gotta hunker down for the holidays. Don't have that much left to watch.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit posted:

Do 10 3 ep tests

:tif: if I can't even finish this weak rear end :toxx:

• frieren (at ep 15 now, it's real good)
  • bang dream it's mygo (just did ep 3, it's a good show, but they really make taki look quite dense)
  • witch from mercury (watched all 24 episodes, it's real good)
  • lycoris recoil (on ep 8 now, I should really sit down and watch the rest)
  • tomo-chan (just watched ep 3, it's nice, :carol: really starts to shine in this one!)

Need to do another 5 3-episode tests before the end of this year.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Namtab posted:

Halfway through Gintama°. I've got about ~80 episodes left, the love incense/semi final OVAs, and the final movie. I can still finish my toxx, but I do need to buckle down and start binging every day.

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!

Namtab posted:

I'm almost done but getting through Dinosaur King is proving to be more of a slog than anticipated

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Finished Gintama°. A bit of a slow start to this season, but with the last two arcs the show is finally starting to cash in a lot of the chips it's been stockpiling for nearly 300 episodes, and actually killing off important characters outside of their introductory arcs. Now I'm more excited to see where the rest of the series goes from here.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Whose going to be making the next years resolution thread? Will it be after the 1st?

I'll put tentatively here my goals for next new years (2025).

- Get to 3-kyu for the JLPT. (i.e passing at least 5-kyu and 4-kyu)
- Vacation in Japan at least once, preferably after getting to 3-kyu.
- Practice for an hour a day Japanese (on average, the goal here is sustained effort, not crunching).
- Practice drawing for an hour a day (see above, sustained effort, not crunching or forcing myself).
- Finish at least ONE personal programming/gamedev project stuck in development hell, and by finish I mean get to a state where its functional and shareable.
- Get at least started on producing one video essay.
- Lose 30 more lbs to get to my "hard" goal of 198lbs, or abs, whichever comes first in case my body fat % is actually really low by that point and my muscle mass actually really high for my body type.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

i will be making the thread on december 30th

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Whose going to be making the next years resolution thread? Will it be after the 1st?

I'll put tentatively here my goals for next new years (2025).

- Get to 3-kyu for the JLPT. (i.e passing at least 5-kyu and 4-kyu)
- Vacation in Japan at least once, preferably after getting to 3-kyu.
- Practice for an hour a day Japanese (on average, the goal here is sustained effort, not crunching).
- Practice drawing for an hour a day (see above, sustained effort, not crunching or forcing myself).
- Finish at least ONE personal programming/gamedev project stuck in development hell, and by finish I mean get to a state where its functional and shareable.
- Get at least started on producing one video essay.
- Lose 30 more lbs to get to my "hard" goal of 198lbs, or abs, whichever comes first in case my body fat % is actually really low by that point and my muscle mass actually really high for my body type.

I posted the thread early https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050534

Raenir Salazar posted:

GAOL REACHED!

I’m unilaterally decided that this is the best completed resolution so you win either a forums upgrade or £10 charity donation.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Namtab posted:

I posted the thread early https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050534

I’m unilaterally decided that this is the best completed resolution so you win either a forums upgrade or £10 charity donation.

Didn't even realize there was a prize!

I think I'm good for forums upgrades so putting that money to the Red Cross would be fine with me: https://www.redcross.ca/active-responses

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit posted:

:tif: if I can't even finish this weak rear end :toxx:

• frieren (at ep 15 now, it's real good)
  • bang dream it's mygo (just did ep 3, it's a good show, but they really make taki look quite dense)
  • witch from mercury (watched all 24 episodes, it's real good)
  • lycoris recoil (on ep 8 now, I should really sit down and watch the rest)
  • tomo-chan (just watched ep 3, it's nice, :carol: really starts to shine in this one!)

Need to do another 5 3-episode tests before the end of this year.

• 16-bit sensation - very cute show with a lot of enthusiasm, might be worth picking up for the rest of the season. much of the first three episodes were on character establishment so I hope there is more on the gamedev portion
  • gene of ai - they should have not called the androids “humanoids”. that is all I have to say about it
  • undead murder farce - very fun detective show, will probably continue to watch it. reminds me of the netflix show, mononoke
  • otaku elf - anime of the year
  • level 1 demon lord - I don’t have anything good to say about this anime. It might have its fans but it was a waste of time for me.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

anyway, I have finished my toxx and hope to do this same thing next year.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Steely Glint posted:

I'm going to do some things in 2023:
- finish reading tsukire
- cycle the shimanami kaido
- attend comiket 102 and buy something cool
- read the manga for at least two 2023 shows I end up liking instead of just thinking about it

1. done. i never read the original but i think the remake stands on its own. Ciel's normal route was the best imo. looking forward to reading the official english release when it comes out to really face just how much i missed by plowing through with my terrible japanese

2. failed. i spent my vacation days this year visiting family back home instead. this is now penciled in for just before golden week 2024. on the bright side i lost like 20kg this year and am in much better shape to enjoy the trip!

3. failed. idk why i specified it be the 102nd! but i did. i ended up getting sick that weekend so i did my civic duty by staying home~ otoh comiket 103 owned and i got an insanely cool stained glass portrait of Shiki Eiki, one of my favorite touhou characters
on the off chance that anybody with a dislike of crowds but a desire to attend comiket is reading this: fwiw, despite there being hundreds of thousands of people in attendance i usually get anxious at conventions but didn't at all with this one. never had to shove through to get anywhere, never got hemmed in, always had a nearby place to rest, etc. i have no idea what goes into event logistics but they're seriously good at it

4. done. started off by catching up with oshi no ko after its first season left me wanting more. i also read up on chainsaw man through the end of part one which isn't a 2023 show but was a great read and had me tearing through Fujimoto's one-shots afterward. finished off the year with some light & bubbly 100gf

a mixed bag but overall i'm happy with what i accomplished this year. time to make dinner, queue up to ring in the new year at the local shrine, and get executed by a mod

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Great job Namtab! :)

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!

Chicken Thumbs posted:

I'm very bad at being a weeb and usually read manga instead of watching anime, so for my :toxx: I'll be watching 5 anime that I've never seen but pretty much everyone else has and writing reviews in this thread.
1. Evangelion
2. K-On
3. Toradora
4. Haruhi
5. Lucky Star

Also this one's not a classic by any stretch of the imagination but I just learned that Dinosaur King is on Netflix and I feel like watching it so add that to my list.

1. Watched the original series and End of Eva. Turns out the anime that everyone says is good was good. I feel like this would have hit me like a truck if I saw it when I was younger, but as it stands I can see why it was such a classic. No plans to watch the Rebuilds at this time.
2. Sweet and pleasant, not much to say other than I liked it. Mugi is best K-on.
3. Perfectly serviceable. Slightly disappointed that I didn't like it more than I do because one of my favorite character archetypes is "I am 8 ounces of whoopass." Wish I had more to say about it but I don't.
4. I enjoyed Haruhi quite a bit, I can see why it altered people's brain chemistry at the time. I know if I watched it while it came out I would have loved the hell out of it, and probably would have been an incredibly obnoxious "Kyon is like me fr fr" type. Watched the first episode of Endless 8, then half-watched the others while grinding in an RPG so I don't get full points. Mikuru deserved better.
5. Unfortunately I have no strong feelings about Lucky Star. It was cute and fun, but it didn't grab me the way K-on did.
6. I added this to my list on a whim and I kind of regret it. I kind of enjoyed myself, but it really felt like it dragged on. For some reason the episode that sticks out in my mind the most is the Journey to the West one, which was hilarious to watched dubbed. After all, what American child in 2007 didn't know about Journey to the West?

I'm happy I finally watched these, even if some of them didn't live up to my expectations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Raenir Salazar posted:

Great job Namtab! :)

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Scallop Eyes posted:

I will watch at least 3 Gundam series.
´
I cut it close, but I did it. Watched Witch from Mercury, Gundam Thunderbolt and Gundam Origin this year. Also bought 3 gunplas, and can already feel the addiction taking hold :shepspends:

Scallop Eyes fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 2, 2024

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Fluffdaddy posted:

I am going to:

1) watch at 3 shows a season to completion
2) finish 2 LN series
3) finish 12 new released 2023 games

I did this and when I get back from work I will talk about the run. I barely made the anime

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

AnoHito posted:

I cannot learn, and will be doing this again.

I bought a bass guitar for some reason, and I think I'll resolve to learn at least one anime song on it (I have no ide how to play a bass).

I figure I should also watch the shows I have downloaded, so I'll throw on watching the following:

Princess Tutu
Non Non Biyori
Girls Und Panzer
Gatchaman Crowds
Call of the Night

I've watched all of these at some point throughout the year, with GuP being the one that surprised me the most with how good it is.

I also learned just enough bass to poorly stammer my way through the first bit of Kick Back, so I'll call that a success too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Srice posted:

By the end of the year I will have watched every 2022 anime movie that is readily available in English.

I did this. I have been slacking on keeping my letterboxd account up to date with everything I watched so I will rank 'em all at a later point in time but that wasn't part of my toxx anyhow. By my own count I watched 'em all except for one movie - there was a franchise film for a series that, when I searched adtrw for takes on it since it looked incredibly suspicious to me, multiple people including a former mod outright called it a "pedo anime". The only person to actually admit to watching that series is someone who has since been permabanned for being a creep. In those circumstances I think it's fair to call a mulligan on that one. This challenge is supposed to be something to do for fun, not to inflict torture upon oneself.

Anyways, this became a bit of an ordeal at times. Not just because I had a lot of wild life poo poo happen in the last quarter of the year. Basically, in recent years I make an effort to see every original anime movie out there, plus franchise films for series I'm fond of. And if something gets a theatrical release in my area I try to see it even if it's franchise film for a series I'm not familiar with - sometimes I can still find value in that!

This is all to say that the tough part of this toxx involved watching stuff I normally wouldn't bother with. There were way too many idol and isekai anime movies and they were usually a bad time.

However I don't wanna get too negative though so I will briefly mention a few franchise films for series I was unfamiliar with that I quite liked and am glad I took the time to watch: The Quintessential Quintuplets movie was good, glad I saw it in a theater to witness the duality of man: when the guy finally picked one of the girls, one person in the audience clapped and another person said "god dammit". The Backflip!! movie was interesting for being a sports anime movie that eschews the big competition in favor of focusing on what everyone will do after graduating, it was enough to get me interested in checking out the series proper someday. I enjoyed the Laid Back Camp movie for focusing on how much harder it is to put time into your hobbies when you're a working adult, particularly when they're group hobbies. And I was gonna watch The First Slam Dunk anyways since it was getting a theatrical push and I heard such good things about it but I really do want to mention that it's a truly incredible movie - it joins Ping Pong in the small group of sports anime I'd show to someone who's a skeptic of the genre. It has a lot of heart and the match in the movie is so insanely sick that if it were a real game sports twitter would be losing their god drat minds over it.

I'm glad I went through with this though I don't wanna repeat it with 2023 movies, gonna have to think of something else to try for 2024.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Just finished tsukihime less than 2 hours before the deadline. I also read a very short VN called 40 days and 40 nights of rain so I have achieved my toxx, albeit in the most bitchmade way possible

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Srice posted:

I enjoyed the Laid Back Camp movie for focusing on how much harder it is to put time into your hobbies when you're a working adult, particularly when they're group hobbies.

laid back camp is so good

the first season and the movie are wonderful, the second season is meh

hope the third season rekindles the spirit

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

haypliss posted:

So in 2023 I will, at the very least, complete the following series:
  1. Neo Human Casshan
  2. Space Pirate Captain Harlock
  3. Future Boy Conan
  4. Treasure Island
  5. Rose of Versailles
  6. Anne of Green Gables
Nothing better than polishing a resolution off right at year end to realize I never updated on a particular aspect of this. A couple factors like the late-70's skew of this original list, having just finished Anne, and seeing a friend post through Future Boy Conan all combined to make me want to remove it a few months ago. I went for a replacement show of the same length (26 eps) that countered a few of those worries, being from 1971 and without much overlap to anything else: Wandering Sun (Sasurai no Taiyou). Aside from that, I managed to get the main list completed. While there's some disappointment to the wild derailment of my original idea that this stuff could be paced out to 1 show:month and expand from a conservative 6 shows to a full 12, a lot about the ~experience~ doesn't have me feeling too beat up about it. It was a year not spent in the best health, where I also let too much of my energy for anime go into seasonals or random other directions ("Why don't I read and watch all of Koi wo Ameagari ni?", "Finally checking out SoulTaker would be nice.", attempts at Slam Dunk ultimately frustrated by the low available quality of both its anime and manga, etc).

Ultimately I think such a single-minded focus on one decade like this didn't help, despite the vast differences anime can offer in style before you even start considering the technique and technology gaps apparent on the opposing ends of this list. What I'll take forward is the same desire to explore this stuff, but let it diffuse and just be looser about how I actually go about watching a "backlog" or "project". I'll also say, having stuff like the clips and screenshots I can link below is nice, but the "documentation" aspect of watching these shows had me feeling chained to the PC when watching things, so obviously something needs to give there. General summation on the shows is, they were all good. The ones that have reputations still living after ~50 years were, of course, actually great! Some rambling, in the order I ended up watching them:

Treasure Island - What still stands out to me most is the soundtrack, mostly made up of anachronistic electric guitars and funk vibes that nevertheless work with the energy of this pirate adventure. Visually it didn't overwhelm with the Dezaki-isms his reputation might have you expecting, especially with a later comparison point like RoV. Great variety in character design and the beautiful background art you expect when Shichiro Kobayashi is in the mix. Jim really has the whole package in this, I think the VA from Mari Shimizu is great and the animation perfectly straddles this ability to make him blobby and expressive or lanky and sharp in his motions. Silver gets similar praise, a great performance from Genzo Wakayama for a character that is believably kind and charismatic while also a brutal pirate. Other brief character highlights...Junpei Takaguchi's Trelawney is delightful to listen to at all but especially an enjoyable comedic contrast amongst the more serious characters, and the emotional stakes of the fort siege are perfectly done (especially with Redruth). Final shoutout to Abraham Gray. His defection from the mutiny seemed as likely to be a ruse as genuine, but it turns out he just is a totally honorable, handsome, knife-throwing badass. Loved seeing him through the whole series, and entertained by this adaptation apparently changing his little series epilogue note to fighting for Ireland in the 1798 rebellion.

Anne of Green Gables - Yeah this one is just a perfect show. Like, to see this I can obviously realize why the book has been endlessly popular through the charm of Anne herself as well as characters from the Cuthberts all the way to Josie Pye's rude rear end. Same as Treasure Island I lack the context of source material or even other adaptations to really judge that kind of execution here, but I love it all. A slowly expanding 50 episodes in the life of this girl and her community, with beautifully-rendered nature and just as much care given to depicting daily life as her flights of fancy with princesses and flower fairies. 50 episodes that they took as a luxury to have Anne slowly but subtly grow from some sort of bean-headed gremlin to a young woman. Minnie May is in this barely doing anything but the raw power of her character design seems to compel any view to post pictures of her being a little blob. Final Shoutouts: I have to link the beach scene from ep35 where the animation is just amazing and there's this moment where you can so strongly feel the fact of this show being right on the cusp of the 80s, and I also have to link the excellent piece that compelled me to include this on the list at all as well as giving great historical context to so much of it. (Just rewatched the beach clip before uploading and started crying lmao, also remembering how much I cried with/for Marilla watching this show man.) Like I mentioned above about these shows having 50 year reputations but I honestly don't feel like Anne really has the big & wide reputation on the Western side of things THAT IT SHOULD and it's truly a shame.

Rose of Versailles - Some egg on my face here, as I'm pretty sure when making this list I was overlooking that Dezaki only does half of it...though this also seems like a common thing in the anime space. As I found myself thoroughly enjoying the Nagahama-directed first half, that's definitely something that started (and continues) to annoy me, I do wish there was more credit given there. It has all the fun court drama stuff to set up the nobility's fall and is the part of the series that most often plays with abstract visuals or breaking the expected format. The best of this I ended up associating with a specific episode director, Yasuo Yamayoshi (will def be checking out his other credits), as his episodes have all sorts of great stuff like approximating comic paneling, whip wounds cutting a cel to pieces, a mob of gossipers morphing into black sludge that consumes & inverts the colors of Versailles, overlaying lineart/silhouettes on the animation etc. Just always turning out striking visuals. Of course the Dezaki takeover is immediately apparent and just as strong visually, but the show begins to feel much more tangible. Like episode 19's recurring motif of a frog fountain, which gains an oppressive, malevolent aura yet remains a normal, physical object in the world. With the build to the revolution arc focusing more firmly on the material conditions of the common people and their perception of the nobility, it feels sensible that even your symbols are just part of the world vs the court arc being so arch and unreal. I did find my enthusiasm waning at times during the back half, it's definitely got more dour material and they mine a lot of frustration from Oscar feeling stuck as a middleman in all things (her gender, politics, love triangle etc) while Andre's slow decline before exiting the series is hammered on more than I'd like. Being able to look back on it in totality I can feel a bit better about the show though. Final Shoutout: The one-legged accordion player who emerges as a Greek chorus in the show's second half. Just such a great little character who they even build out with some family drama later.

Wandering Sun - Aside from the ways this balanced the list, the premise of an antagonist hanging around and observing/poo poo-stirring a swapped-at-birth scenario they had engineered was the big hook for me. Turns out that mainly bookends the show with drama I could take or leave and the series' compelling edge comes in once focused on the two girls navigating the music industry. The basic structure with the girls' rivalry and Egawa's role as mentor remind me (positively) of Glass Mask, though there's a bit more melodrama here and Miki is mostly a one-dimensional, awful person unlike Glass Mask's Himekawa. This does allow for interesting contrast in their careers as Miki just buys her way to increasingly stressful and tenuous success while Nozomi wanders Japan trying to find herself and connect with the people, shying away from fame for a range of reasons. My favorite of these being her crisis of faith in becoming a musician at all after seeing Miki's career, fearing the industry could do something like that to even her. On that note, this is one of those music shows that falls into the problem of lacking song variety, in a way that goes beyond just the annoyance of repetition. The crux of this is Nozomi's signature song, which she composes for a school project and then proceeds to reuse in her travels before it catapults her to fame...which feels at odds with a journey of self-discovery, where she's gaining perspective and experience that should be put into a new song. Aside from that (Miki only has one single as well), I enjoyed Nozomi's song performances and the series also has great theme tunes. As the oldest show on this list you can definitely feel it in stiffness and limited animation but there's still some cool psychedelic sequences and I think Nozomi is such a standout, charming character design. Final Shoutout: Egawa's soulful, single-eyed gaze.

Neo Human Casshan - There's a nice surprise to the bits of serialization in this, though it remains an episodic show and the shifts between those modes can be a bit jarring, especially related to the ambiguous passage of time or Casshan knowing Braiking Boss' location but aimlessly wandering through sites of hits diferent plots. Leaving those aside, it's very good at creating variety from similar cloth; intolerance between humans and robots is recurring but you'll get to see it from both sides as well as robots/humans who detest or betray "their own", and whatever events have motivated them. The show's world-traveling nature also allows for episodes focusing on aspects of a local culture like pacifism, religious tradition, or the value placed on art. Braiking Boss even contributes, with the cutaways to his villain base often including visual gags or comedic sidebars as he reacts to aspects of human culture (eating books, trying on new clothes, pampering a pet). There's no particular weight given to the series finale though, which was disappointing and I suppose an unfortunate consequence of the series' cancellation. I really love the detailed designs in this, it gives such a visceral feeling to the show, especially in conjunction with the surprising level of violence they're able to depict as robots are dismembered by hand and humans writhe in pain as lasers incinerate them, or bombs leave their charred corpses strewn about a city. Broadcast standards in the 70s were wild. Final Shoutout: The concert episode in this that was reused in Casshan Sins. I wasn't sure how much the series would relate given their divergent productions, but it's nice to confirm Sins had such a close homage. Also you can enjoy this clip.

Space Pirate Captain Harlock - The second pirate show here, it handily joins TI in having music that really sticks with you...mostly for good! There's a handful of nice space shanties and other inserts but the bulk of this is great orchestral pieces that accent the drama of space adventure, both its bold and triumphant side as well as eerieness and danger. My feelings on the rest are still complicated, this being the show I only finished a couple days ago, but it has a sort of slapdash nature that doesn't help. The setting seems to shift randomly with details like the Mazone being introduced as a female race but later male civilians are shown, and similarly the first Tokargans to appear have absolutely wild designs that are abruptly replaced by normal humanoids in the span of an episode. This marries with other aspects of the show like fairly thin (figuratively) characters, e.g. Maji not existing until his focus episodes or Kei fading into the background after hers, to give a more negative impression of the writing. Mayu is a popular point of complaint with this series too, with her constant peril to motivate Harlock as well as her dreadfully overplayed ocarina theme. I agree her plotlines tend to grate but feel her role is necessary, and they do turn out a great gag as she tries to teach the crew her song and they later break the emotional tension in a farewell scene with their horribly off-tune version. Thankfully the larger Mazone storyline generally avoids much issue. They initially come off as "evil woman of the week" antagonists, but the show creates enough variety through their different appearances or abilties/tactics, and just as their villainy verges on one-note you get a dive into the internal politics of their earth invasion. This lends them nuance and tragedy, especially as they vainly throw themselves up against Harlock's stonefaced determination and adherence to his moral code. He's just a perfect fucker of a character, where his inevitable success is often as satisfying as frustrating, punctuated by a final smug smirk or remark to the Mazone he defeated. Despite the proximity in time to RoV, Anne etc, it's a much more limited looking show. There's a lot of great ship consoles and I like the takes on Matsumoto designs here in addition to some stellar, stylized sequences. The on-foot combat is solid outside of the disappointing final duel between Harlock and Lafresia, but the space laser battles are much less interesting and the fighter planes look like toys (derogatory). Final Shoutouts: Miime is the best crewmate, the giant knife blade in the Arcadia's bow is a much needed spice for the space combat, and I love the sound design choice to use creaking wood sfx in a metal spaceship (granted the Arcadia's stern is just a wooden ship cabin, which also owns).

Would emphatically recommend Anne, strongly rec Rose of Versailles/Harlock/Treasure Island, and hinge recommending Casshan/Wandering Sun mainly on one's ability to handle their age and visual limitations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

:toxx: I will watch all of the Gintama Anime, including the 4 ova and the 3 films.

I'm happy to report that I just barely managed to finish this.

Leaving off from my last post, Gintama. was a really solid arc and tied with Gintama'' and Enchouzen as my favorite seasons, a solid 8/10. Porori-hen was honestly pretty mediocre, i can understand why most of these stories didn't get adapted beforehand, though i did like that we finally got to know a bit more about the one reoccurring homeless guy. 5/10. The Love Incense OVA was a good standalone 2 parter that got some good laughs out of me. 7/10.

And then the two Silver Soul seasons, the first one i gave a 6/10 and the second a 7/10. The first half was pretty good at bringing all of the characters back and setting up a final desperate struggle, but i was a bit disappointed in the animation quality in some spots, including one episode halfway through that genuinely made me angry because the entire back half of the episode was some absolute piss poor animation quality, a metric fuckton of stillframes that didn't convey any weight and made it hard to follow the action, and unnecessary censorship with dark shadows a la jojos. The second half was marginally better, but the pacing of the season was really wonky, with the main conflict ending a bit more than halfway through, and then we go into a 2 year timeskip where instead of wrapping everything up we still have one more story line, but they couldn't finish it in the allotted amount of episodes and so it had to be pushed into two more OVAs and a final movie.

I did enjoy the two semifinal OVAs, though they should have just been 2 regular episodes properly wrapping up the second season of silver soul. A 7/10. And lastly the final movie, which was about as good of a sendoff for the series as you could get with it wrapping up the lingering plotline with Utsuro and Shouyou. It did meander in the last 20-30 minutes or so, where after everything was resolved we had a long extended narration from Tama's POV involving all of the characters afterwards that felt really unnecessary and mainly seemed to just be there to bump up the runtime of the film from 70 minutes to 100 minutes. Ultimately i give the final film a 7/10 rating as well.

Having finally finished Gintama, i'm glad to have experienced one of the more popular anime series of the last two decades, and have an appreciation for what so many fans have found endearing about the series, even if i'm not as diehard of a fan of it as many of them are. I will say though, after having spent all year finishing an almost 400 episode long series, i'm more interested in going back and watching a lot of the shorter classics and getting a much wider appreciation for the medium of anime as a whole. Maybe someday i'll tackle another gargantuan classic like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but i'll probably take a raincheck on that for now.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i lost 50 pounds but didn't finish gundam 00, got four eps into season 2

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

this years toxx was one of those ones where i won by doing nothing. in that, fortunately had already seen both shows recommended to me (bocchi rules, giant robo day the earth stood still is a top 10 all time mecha for me) and the one piece live action made getting 8 friends into it this year very easy!!!!!

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Failed my Toxx by forgetting it existed like 3 days after i made it. Ban me.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Fluffdaddy posted:

I did this and when I get back from work I will talk about the run. I barely made the anime

1) watch 3 shows to completion each season

winter 2023:

Tomochan
Nagatoro
By the Grace of the Gods 2

Spring 2023:
Oshi no ko
Demon Slayer
Gundam Witch from Mercury

Summer 2023
Bleach
Devil is a part timer season 2
Mushoku Tensei II

Fall 2023
Frieren
16 bit sensation
Spy X Family season 2

Two LNs:

I finished all of Ascendence of a Bookworm that has been translated and then finished the awful MTL of the web novel.

I finished all of Mushoku Tensei, and boy did it suck.

Video Games

Hi-Fi Rush
Fire Emblem Engage
Hogwarts Legacy
Theatrhythm
MLB The Show 2023
Tears of the Kingdom
Street Fighter 6
Final Fantasy XVI
Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life
Baldur's Gate 3
Starfield
EA FC 24
Armored Core 6
Like a Dragon Gaiden
Call of Duty: MW 3

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

I'm going to watch at least two shows this year, but this time adaptations of things I've read or watched do count (mostly because I want to watch the RWBY show)

I almost forgot about this. :ohdear:
I didn't watch the RWBY show but I did watch a ton of anime: Spy X Family (cute), Dress Up Darling (surprisingly romantic), Bocchi the Rock (the just like me fr atoy for me), Frieren (amazing), finished Kaguya-sama, and rewatched multiple shows.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I’m going to be compiling the toxxes tomorrow to let fluffdaddy know who to snipe so get your updates in today

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Namtab: Read 3 VNs. Status: Complete
Julias: Watch all of Gintama. Status: Complete
Patware: megalobox s1 and 2, turn a gundam, akira. Status: Failed
Lunar Detritus: I'm going to watch at least two shows this year, but this time adaptations of things I've read or watched do count (mostly because I want to watch the RWBY show). Status: Complete
Anohito: Watch some anime and learn some guitar. Status: Complete
Zepia: Get banned from failing his toxx. Status PARADOX
Squark: Betting against Zepia. Status: PARADOX
Tales of Woe: Watch some anime. Status: Complete
Orv: Watch an anime. Status: Complete
Renair Salazar. Get thin. Status: Complete
Fluffdaddy: Do stuff. Lots of stuff. Status: Complete
Scallop Eyes: Watch some gundam. Status: Complete
Southern Cassowary: Lose weight and watch Gundam 00. Status: Failed.
Sb hermit: 10 3 ep tests. Status: Complete
Rendat Radnor: Watch some anime. Status: Failed.
Triggerhappypilot: Watch some anime. Status: Failed.
Steely Glint: Set several targets. Status: Failed.
Paper Lion: Watch some anime: Status: Passed.
Chicken Thumbs: Watch some anime. Status: Passed.
Srice: Watch al the 2022 movies. Status: Passed
Haypliss: Watch some anime. Status: Passed.
The Islamic Shock: Watch K-ON. Status: Failed.

Toxx Failures: Patware. Southern Cassowary, Rendat Radnor, Triggerhappypilot, Steely Glint, The Islamic Shock.

How I see the zep/squark paradox resolving is: If the punishment for toxx failure is a ban, then zep wins and squark dies. If it's a probation, zep loses and eats the probe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I forgot I even made a resolution.