Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Here in Philly we call a cold meat sandwich a hoagie. Roast beef and cheese, that's a roast beef hoagie. We do use the word "sandwich" but that refers to either hot fillings on a long roll or cold meats in regular bread. Hot meatballs in a long roll are a meatball sandwich, not a meatball hoagie. Roast beef on rye bread is a roast beef sandwich. Cold deli turkey inside of a long roll is a turkey hoagie. It's actually very simple but people make it complicated.

Do other people say "Have a good one"? That's an all purpose way to end a conversation in Philadelphia. "Have a good one!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
People say have a good one here too.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Not a common one, but when its raining while the sun is shining, some say "The devil is beating his wife"

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
When i was a kid if there was the sound of thunder in a clear sky my grandma said the devil was bowling. But why was the devil in the sky, that's God's house, the devil lives underground, so that's silly

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Super Waffle posted:

Not a common one, but when its raining while the sun is shining, some say "The devil is beating his wife"

It's a saying in my section of the South. Same as "Full as a tick."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

InediblePenguin posted:

When i was a kid if there was the sound of thunder in a clear sky my grandma said the devil was bowling. But why was the devil in the sky, that's God's house, the devil lives underground, so that's silly
He used to live in the sky, maybe some of his mail still goes there

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

In the PNW the bits of nice sunlight we get between bouts of rain are called "sun breaks"

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

in florida we call dogs "four legged biters" as the word for dog had not spread to florida until the early nineties.

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

In wisconsin we add "or no" (pronounced "er no") on the end of any yes or no question.

Do ya need another beer er no? You going up nort to da cabin this weekend er no? Are da packers gonna choke on sunday er no?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

In Chennai, (formerly Madras), to call someone மைத்துனன், (meaning "brother-in-law"), is a common insult.

The implication being that you hosed their sister.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

In the Canadian border city that I grew up in that had a river separating us from freedom land, if you were going "over the river" that meant you were going to Americastan.

Beezle
Oct 19, 2008

Happy Steve Perry Day!
"On your tod", meaning "by yourself"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
My rmum has a lot of weird slang from growing up in Broken Hill, an old Australian mining town.
Problem is, I don’t know if this stuff is slang from the town or just her own weird mannerisms.
"Dong" meaning "hit"?? "Spoggie" meaning "sparrow"? Unironic use of the word "noggin"???

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Semi-Protato posted:

In wisconsin we add "or no" (pronounced "er no") on the end of any yes or no question.

Do ya need another beer er no? You going up nort to da cabin this weekend er no? Are da packers gonna choke on sunday er no?

bubbler

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

My rmum has a lot of weird slang from growing up in Broken Hill, an old Australian mining town.
Problem is, I don’t know if this stuff is slang from the town or just her own weird mannerisms.
"Dong" meaning "hit"?? "Spoggie" meaning "sparrow"? Unironic use of the word "noggin"???

I've heard "Spuggie" used for sparrow in NE England/SE Scotland too.

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

In NJ "go stick your ear in the ocean" is a cuss-less alternative to "go gently caress yourself".

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Semi-Protato posted:

Also Wisconsin
- a horse a piece, meaning either choice is more or less the same
- bubbler for water fountain you drink from
- ope, used as an equivalent to oops, whoops, excuse me, sorry
- TYME machine for ATM, the name stood for Take Your Money Everywhere
- unneeded "once", as in "C'mere once" or "gimme that once"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
"Dead rear end" means "certainly" here in New York. :eng101:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
"Papp diin!" is a common phrase / response / expletive here. Literally means "Your dad!". Lots of variations on this.

Examples:
"hey please like and subscribe!"
"your dad liked and subsribed when he made you!"

Popular variation
"Papp diin å in anderan kaar!" = "Your dad and another man!"

His Divine Shadow has a new favorite as of 14:31 on Jan 2, 2023

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's a phrase in Louisiana "l'aissez les bon temps rouler" which is very effectively used to identify you as a tourist and a mark if you use it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"I bet you 20 dollars I can tell you where you got your shoes at"

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

widefault posted:

- ope, used as an equivalent to oops, whoops, excuse me, sorry
The most Midwestern sentence possible is "Ope, let me just squeeze by ya' and grab the ranch. [dressing]"

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

Not local to me but heard plenty of black country people say this before figuring out they weren't being literal:

"It's a bit black over Bill's mother's" meaning it's about to rain

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"I'm not here to gently caress spiders"

I'm here to accomplish a certain task, not waste time with anything else

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A saying that isn't used much in polite society (paraphrased):
"One cow at a time and we'll gently caress the whole herd"
Meaning to not panic at the enormity of the task at hand and just handle the small goals one after another.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Fairly regional, mostly in VT and the immediate area, is "Jeezum Crow" as a non-blasphemous alternative to Jesus Christ.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
Bang a U-ey and then take the rotary, we gotta get to Dunkies for an extra-extra and then the packie before it closes, kid

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

EmptyVessel posted:

I've heard "Spuggie" used for sparrow in NE England/SE Scotland too.

Interesting!

EoinCannon posted:

"I'm not here to gently caress spiders"

I'm here to accomplish a certain task, not waste time with anything else

Where's this from??

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tree Bucket posted:

Interesting!

Where's this from??

Australia
I've heard it in Victoria but I'd say it's country wide, not very common though

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
In my region of Sweden (Södermanland), you'll sometimes hear people say "Satan i gatan!", which basically has the same meaning as 'gently caress me!'. The actual transliteration would be 'satan's in/on the street!'. It might be super-local, 'cause I've only heard people from Eskilstuna and Nyköping use it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Heard of it before though it's not common. Plus that whole Veronica Maggio album.

Reminds me of "satan i mie" > satan i mig > satan in me. Used in the same way as above.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
"Ota kiinni mandariini, osuuskaupan tissiliivi"

It's like "catch me if you can"

Direct translation is "Catch me you mandarin, you brassiere bought from the cooperative store"

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Heard of it before though it's not common. Plus that whole Veronica Maggio album.

Reminds me of "satan i mie" > satan i mig > satan in me. Used in the same way as above.

There's a lot of stuff like that, like "Fan i helvete!" which just means 'Satan/the devil in Hell'. We really like swearing about the devil/hell I guess.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

As a result of a bunch of immigrant groups with their own languages needing to communicate, we have a local creole with tons of great phrases in Hawaii. My favorite for its beautiful simplicity is "can can, no can no can." Basically it means, if it happens, great. If not, no big deal.

Person 1: "Can you give me a ride to the airport? I don't wanna take the bus."

Person 2: "Probably, but I gotta check with work."

Person 1: "Can can, no can no can."

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
you've got eyes like a shithouse rat = your observational skills are impressive

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
"loving tourists"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Mr. Crow posted:

"loving tourists"

You're from Niagara Falls?

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin
Vug ov gund

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

"I will, yeah" as a response to being told/asked to do something = I will definitely not be doing that.

"I'll do it now in a minute" = I will do the thing at some point in the near future.

"I do be doing..." = this is a direct carry over into english from Irish grammar.
This link explains the form better than I can

https://englishlanguagethoughts.com/2016/11/05/how-do-you-be-doing/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Folks who live way out in the country, we'd say they're out in east Jesus.

When you're trying to get something into a hole or socket and not getting it in (like a key, cotter pin, etc), some ol boy's likely to say "Put some hair around it!"

"Kindly" instead of "kind of."

"How's your mom 'n them?" at the beginning of a conversation and "say hi to your mom 'n them" at the end.

"I got a full belly and a dry diaper," meaning "I'm content."

There's a million variations on "the boy ain't right," but my favorite has always been "he ain't got the sense he was born with."