Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pookah posted:

"I will, yeah" as a response to being told/asked to do something = I will definitely not be doing that.

"I'll do it now in a minute" = I will do the thing at some point in the near future.

"I do be doing..." = this is a direct carry over into english from Irish grammar.
This link explains the form better than I can

https://englishlanguagethoughts.com/2016/11/05/how-do-you-be-doing/

I grew up in Australia to Irish parents so I picked up some of their patterns of speech as a kid which caused some confusion.

"Now in a minute" was one that I'd forgotten but it's nice to remember it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

EoinCannon posted:

I grew up in Australia to Irish parents so I picked up some of their patterns of speech as a kid which caused some confusion.

"Now in a minute" was one that I'd forgotten but it's nice to remember it

Happy to bring back some tiny little childhood memories :)

Another two, that might be more family-specific, than part of wider culture, is saying X has "gone for a Burton", meaning X is dead or broken.
Apparently it was ww2 RAF slang for someone being dead, and "a burton" was a pint of a specific ale.
I can only guess my mother picked it up off her father, who was a senior member of the Irish army in the 1930s-1950s.
Another of our specific family weirdnesses, is a habit of saying " see you anon", rather than "see you later". I have no idea where this came from, apparently it's a middle-english form of words that somehow became standard form in my family.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

widefault posted:

Also Wisconsin
- bubbler for water fountain you drink from

In Portland, most of the time we call them "drinking fountains", but there are a little over 100 specific fountains that are called Benson Bubblers, after a rich guy from Wisconsin who installed them.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Calling people "love" is a pretty generic Britishism, but it always pleased me that in the west and southwest of England it goes one step further and complete strangers will call each other "my lover".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In Canada, someone who is slacking off at work may be said to be “loving the dog”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4dvyU0J1d8

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

In my area of lower ontario there's a free service that disabled people can call to get a wheelchair lift short bus to pick them up at their door to go grocery shopping or whatever. It's called the Disabled and Aged Regional Transport Service

Calling each other DARTS quickly became a common playground insult

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

Bang a U-ey and then take the rotary, we gotta get to Dunkies for an extra-extra and then the packie before it closes, kid

Wait what rotary is Boston/NE specific?! I thought "roundabout" was British or something

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

garfield hentai posted:

Wait what rotary is Boston/NE specific?! I thought "roundabout" was British or something

I've been to most of the US other than the East Coast and never heard rotary

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You mean traffic circle?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The phrase "Flash as a rat with a gold tooth", to mean someone who is ostentatiously and vulgarly fashionable is one I have not heard outside of Australia.

A phrase my dad used to use "The barber with nothing to do will shave his wife's pussy", essentially meaning "idle hands are the devils workshop" is apparently common in Tamil Nadu.

Also the term "Witches Hat" to describe a traffic cone, and "Cats Eyes" to describe the little reflective things in the road are ones that the non-Australians I have met seem to be baffled by.

Also, many Americans I have met have been baffled by my use of "Clothes Horse" to describe an indoor drying rack. But I dunno how universal that is.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
ive heard of cats eyes here in california (though not commonly), but a witch's hat is this:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Ooh, that reminds me how traffic bumps in the UK used to be referred to as "sleeping policemen" for some reason

an unusual moment of :pigoff: from our normally bootlickery island

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I guess they can refer to them as Uvalde Pigs now.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
"Som ett skitigt streck" "Like a dirty streak"

Meaning something or someone was/is very fast.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

His Divine Shadow posted:

"Som ett skitigt streck" "Like a dirty streak"

Meaning something or someone was/is very fast.

We have a similar phrase - "off like a hot snot"

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i heard a finnish guy refer to his home village as "small. like a fly's poo poo"
in my mind i return to the phrase often

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also the term "Witches Hat" to describe a traffic cone, and "Cats Eyes" to describe the little reflective things in the road are ones that the non-Australians I have met seem to be baffled by.

Also, many Americans I have met have been baffled by my use of "Clothes Horse" to describe an indoor drying rack. But I dunno how universal that is.

Heard all three of these in the UK.

Had a friend from London who would say "Sorry wont feed the bulldog" as a way of chiding someone who had hosed up and offered a feeble excuse.

Another friend, I met him in Scotland but he was an army brat so could have picked it up elsewhere would express surprised amazement with the phrase "Well bugger me with a ragman's trumpet". I've always liked it's very specific bizarreness.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
My Hungarian landlady would say "a russian year" to mean an arbitrarily long amount of time, e.g. "I haven't eaten there in a russian year" I once asked why that means that and she didnt know but i say it all the time now

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl
Raised in back woods South Carolina:

If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their rear end when they jumped = A response to an "If only I..." type remark

Pee in one hand piss in the other, see which one fills up faster = hosed if you do, hosed if you don't

Guess I wasn't holding my jaw right = something works the second time after not working the first for no observable reason
Possum ran over your grave = when you get that sudden shudder for no reason

Devil's beating his wife = rain and sun at the same time

Worse than a one legged man in an rear end kicking contest = self explanatory

Colder than a well diggers rear end, colder than a witch's tit, colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra

Probably a lot more that I have repressed from memory

Edit: When my step mom got tired of people asking what was for dinner she would say "Pee with a little side of poo". That may have been a Rachel original though.

Bad Sneakers has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Jan 13, 2023

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I didn't think I really used the " I do be doing" Irish/English construction that I mentioned earlier, but I just realized that I do.

When I'm scolding my parrot, I am never done telling her "Don't be doing that!", which is an exact translation of the irish "Ná bí ag deanamh sin!"

Another fun and useful phrase is " you're codding me!" meaning " you're tricking/fooling/messing with me". I've been told the "cods" in question are actually referring to testicles, as in "cod-piece", and it's a holdover in Ireland from Elizabethan English, but I don't know how true that is.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Bad Sneakers posted:

Pee in one hand piss in the other, see which one fills up faster = hosed if you do, hosed if you don't
The version i know is "wish in one hand, poo poo in the other" to point out that just wishing is useless

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Some more Scottish ones.

A " 'Good morning judge' skirt" is a very short mini-skirt (implying the wearer is a streetwalker who'll be in the cells overnight).
Someone who is "All fur coat and nae knickers" is being pretentious.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Raluek posted:

ive heard of cats eyes here in california (though not commonly), but a witch's hat is this:

In both Massachusetts and Texas I've heard this called a witches cap.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Here in Australia we have "old mate". Used to describe someone you recently interacted with, when talking to your actual mates. Slightly derogatory.

"Old mate over there reckons there was a blue on last night"

"I was just talkin to old mate about Barnsey"

Beezle
Oct 19, 2008

Happy Steve Perry Day!
"Going arse over tit" for falling over.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chrpno posted:

Here in Australia we have "old mate". Used to describe someone you recently interacted with, when talking to your actual mates. Slightly derogatory.

We got "ol boy" in the a handful of rural US regions. It can mean anything from a guy with just enough personality to not be perpetually anonymous to someone that everybody knows.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Beezle posted:

"Going arse over tit" for falling over.

In the US this evolved into "rear end over teakettle" because you can say rear end but not tit, apparently

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Having your rear end over your shoulder = being drunk

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Chrpno posted:

In California we will use "my dude" in this way, like "My dude over here needs to chill out."

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Bad Sneakers posted:

Guess I wasn't holding my jaw right = something works the second time after not working the first for no observable reason

I picked this one up from my dad. I use "guess I wasn't holding my mouth right" though.

Every time I do, the people around me look at me like my head's on backwards.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

"Suck(ing) the hind tit" is one I hear every now and then around here. It means to get less of something.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
"a month of sundays", meaning a long but indeterminate time, is something I remember from childhood. As in "I haven't seen you in a month of sundays". "'til the cows come home" is another long time-related one, as in "we can wait 'til the cows come home". Of course, "make hay while the sun shines" means to do something while conditions are favorable.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Well poo poo fire, save matches.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've always wondered how widespread this is: prefacing a critical statement with "not for nothing"

Example: "Not for nothing, but you need to do a better job sweeping the corners," or "not for nothing, but I covered your shift last week, so I don't wanna do it again," or "not for nothing but I think you can do better than her."

Basically applies to anything that might need social softening but still has gotta be said, I guess.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

RC and Moon Pie posted:

"Suck(ing) the hind tit" is one I hear every now and then around here. It means to get less of something.

I remember hearing this too.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
"Take a flying gently caress at a rolling donut" as a more extreme way of saying gently caress off.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Whybird posted:

Ooh, that reminds me how traffic bumps in the UK used to be referred to as "sleeping policemen" for some reason

an unusual moment of :pigoff: from our normally bootlickery island

haha yeah I always liked that one - my siblings and I use it now and again. It's a good saying :D

Chrpno posted:

Yeah, that's an Australian staple, for sure. There's also "your mate", which is used jokingly/sarcastically to associate someone with a mutually disliked person. (Especially if there's a third party in the conversation, who isn't too familiar with the soon-to-be-former friend you're trying to slander)
e.g. "Hey look, your mate Clive [Palmer] is on the TV!" "What? Oh gently caress off!"

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i also hear it as "matey boy" from brits and "yer man/yer wan" from irish. really wish i could pull off the irish usage with my accent

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Just remembered another one - women addressing their female friends as "missus", just that, on its own, no surname attached.
Marital status is irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Major Isoor posted:

haha yeah I always liked that one - my siblings and I use it now and again. It's a good saying :D

Yeah, that's an Australian staple, for sure. There's also "your mate", which is used jokingly/sarcastically to associate someone with a mutually disliked person. (Especially if there's a third party in the conversation, who isn't too familiar with the soon-to-be-former friend you're trying to slander)
e.g. "Hey look, your mate Clive [Palmer] is on the TV!" "What? Oh gently caress off!"

It's "your boy" in parts of the US and it's one of the most loving maddening things in the world, probably because my dad did it to me until I finally lit into him over it.