Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It's "your boy" in parts of the US and it's one of the most loving maddening things in the world, probably because my dad did it to me until I finally lit into him over it.

Sounds like your boy, dad, over there is a right one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
I had an old boss who would use "your buddy" like that. I thought it was just him being him.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
“Couldn’t manage a chook raffle”

“Couldn’t organise a root in a brothel”

“Couldn’t arrange a piss-up in a brewery”

All meaning the same thing.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Johnny pump = fire hydrant

Dining needle = dragonfly

Yeah yeah yeah

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ProperCoochie posted:

Dining needle = dragonfly

This is a distillation of "darning needle" or "darner," which is a common name for a few dragonfly species.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

widefault posted:

Also Wisconsin

- unneeded "once", as in "C'mere once" or "gimme that once"

lemme talk to you real/right quick once
also, replacing "lend" with "borrow": "can i get that shovel i borrowed to you back?" "can you borrow me some money?"
going by someone's house, rather than to.

Bad Sneakers posted:

Colder than a well diggers rear end, colder than a witch's tit, colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra

my dad uses witch's tit, and he's from the UP of michigan. another of his favorite phrases is "raining heavier than a cow pissin on a flat rock"

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Where does the mangling "what all did you do there" come from? Seen it a few times on chat.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Chrpno posted:

Where does the mangling "what all did you do there" come from? Seen it a few times on chat.

Definitely have heard and used that across the midwestern US and Canada.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

widefault posted:

- unneeded "once", as in "C'mere once" or "gimme that once"

is "one time" related?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chrpno posted:

Do what now?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Michigander and grew up in Detroit but older generations were poor beet farmers from Bad Axe:

"Jeez-oh-Pete!" Meaning jesus christ!

"Holy Toledo!" Meaning "My God!"

Or the rarer "Holy Toledo Montana!"

"Your eyes look like two piss holes in the snow" Meaning "your eyes look like two piss holes in the snow". Usually said to me by my grandpa when I was home sick from school.

"Jeet?" Which means "have you eaten?"

"What up doe!?" A very Detroit colloquialism Meaning what's up?

"Squo?", Square biz? Meaning "seriously?"

"Hecky naw!" Meaning hell to the no.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
"Hau di über d'Heisa" (Viennese dialect) =
"Werfe dich über die Häuser" (Standard German) =
"Throw yourself over the houses"
when you wanna tell someone to piss off.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
"Chate" to mean something being cheap, lame, scuzzy, "coming up short", or to describe a lovely deal.

I paid $10 for this taco and it's chate as hell.

This party's chate, let's get out of here.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Captain Hotbutt posted:

"Chate" to mean something being cheap, lame, scuzzy, "coming up short", or to describe a lovely deal.

I paid $10 for this taco and it's chate as hell.

This party's chate, let's get out of here.

The word's namesake was a student at OTHS who was known to short-change you when dealing marijuana.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is "get out of dodge" a regional thing? I've never heard someone say it in person but I've read it all over the place.

For some content, Toronto is a funny place where your stereotypical (but not like, right on the nose) Canadian hoser-isms meet with youth slang informed largely by the same sort of immigrant demographics as large cities in the UK - Jamaican, Trini, Guyanese etc.

So the 'yute dem' have a particular lexicon that's hard to parse but if you're familiar with some UK underground music you can infer enough of it. Here is a video I was thinking about the other day that still makes me laugh and is a fairly good primer on the type of things you'll hear. Natch, it's all extremely exaggerated but people really do talk like that.

I run with the Jungle/Drum & Bass scene which, even for Toronto Mans, has an extremely deep connection to Jamaican music and culture. Every MC is a black British person, especially when they're a white guy from Etobicoke. The real fun part is when you can get these guys to flip back and forth in conversation between "oh gently caress yeah bud" hoser-isms and patois the likes of which even Kardinal couldn't parse.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Anybody surprised by that has never heard the number one jam of 1993

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSffz_bl6zo

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Mister Speaker posted:

Is "get out of dodge" a regional thing? I've never heard someone say it in person but I've read it all over the place.

Most likely a reference to gunsmoke. Both the radio and TV shows that took place in dodge city Kansas in the 1800s.

I've heard a bunch of episodes of the radio show, but only maybe seen one or two tv episodes. Never heard it said, but both shows were around long enough that that's probably where it came from. I'm sure it was said a bunch of times.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My mom uses the phrase "X as all get-out" and I have no idea where it came from or what it means.

It's weird as all get-out.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

My mom uses the phrase "X as all get-out" and I have no idea where it came from or what it means.

It's weird as all get-out.

Huck Finn popularized it, and it means to the superlative

Edit: Specifically the utmost superlative; as in it cannot be more.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
:co::co::co:
fourteener -- a mountain peak exceeding 14,000 feet

frontage-road -- the lower speed, lower capacity road that runs parallel to highways

flip a bitch - a u-turn

safety meeting - go toke as a group, as in "we're having a safety meeting, wanna join?"
:co::co::co:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Grassy Knowles posted:

Huck Finn popularized it, and it means to the superlative

Edit: Specifically the utmost superlative; as in it cannot be more.

Huck Finn, huh! That's pretty interesting, actually.

Guess I shouldn't have gotten down on a thing when I didn't know nothing about it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Greatbacon posted:

frontage-road -- the lower speed, lower capacity road that runs parallel to highways

flip a bitch - a u-turn

safety meeting - go toke as a group, as in "we're having a safety meeting, wanna join?"

These are definitely said here but they aren't especially local to Colorado.

Things I have only heard in Colorado that may be more skier culture than Colorado, I dunno:

Pow - powdery snow
Jerry - an inexperienced skier who does dumb inexperienced skier stuff

I hear beater and gaper a lot, but I think that's also a Utah thing.

Oh, and re:14ers, you don't "hike" a 14er, you "bag" a 14er.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Flip a bitch is a thing in the Bay Area, but not super widespread here. "Frontage road" is just the lexical term for that sort of road. "Safety meeting" is something I've heard applied to any sort of congenial drug-taking activity undertaken by coworkers. My mom has done "safety meetings" at the bar with other teachers at her school site.

"On a tip" is a way to describe someone who is fixated on a particular topic, like, "My dude here's on a tip about bad breathing through your mouth is for dental health."

Kenning has a new favorite as of 12:17 on Jan 28, 2023

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Kenning posted:

"On a tip" is a way to describe someone who is fixated on a particular topic, like, "My dude here's on a tip about bad breathing through your mouth is for dental health."
dunno the origin but this is mega old, e.g. 1992 canadian rap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLNhCiAi0ZU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've heard 'safety meeting' in a couple of contexts. In kitchens, it's usually stepping out with the crew to have a toke. In front of house I found it more referred to all the bartenders and bussers having a shot together.

When I worked at the summer camp, we used 'time' to refer to stepping away for a toke so the campers or squares on staff didn't know. It was surprisingly effective, we even used it over the radios sometimes.
"Hey man, you got some time after dinner?"
"For you I've got all the time in the world."

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Old timers in Arkansas always say "by the by" when they mean "by the way."

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Not here to gently caress spiders is one of my favourite Australianisms, but I'm not sure if this one is widespread or not.

"Don't talk to me, I know boats."

Means essentially "shut up, I know what I'm doing, don't need any advice".

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Not here to gently caress spiders is one of my favourite Australianisms, but I'm not sure if this one is widespread or not.

Yeah, I do enjoy that one, too. It's best when you don't use it often IMO, so that when you do use it, it catches people off-guard

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Hows about tramsexuál / šalinosexuál which are Prague and Brno slang for people who are REALLY into public transportation?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

In central Florida...we have also yet to name the cat so people are perplexed by those that come from out of state and refer to them as such.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

ManBoyChef posted:

In central Florida...we have also yet to name the cat so people are perplexed by those that come from out of state and refer to them as such.

Keep workshopping it, you'll get there eventually

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

InediblePenguin posted:

Keep workshopping it, you'll get there eventually

im never gunna get there. our schools dont even have books anymore. How am I supposed to learn anything?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It's not really local, since the earliest record I've found for it says 'general UK slang', but 'sus' is not a recent development. As a wee yin, you could use the phrase 'sussed it out' or 'I sussed it' as meaning 'figured it out' - sus in THAT context was also derived from suspect/suspicion and first came about in the 50s.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Samovar posted:

It's not really local, since the earliest record I've found for it says 'general UK slang', but 'sus' is not a recent development. As a wee yin, you could use the phrase 'sussed it out' or 'I sussed it' as meaning 'figured it out' - sus in THAT context was also derived from suspect/suspicion and first came about in the 50s.

Yeah, "sus it out" and "they're a bit sus" are used a lot down here, too. Classics!

I also like "the use" (short for "usual". So like, "what do you feel like doing?" "oh, the use"), which always throws some people off. Spelling varies though, seeing as it's a bit of an odd case, regarding pronunciation

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

In the US and Canada it's pronounced like "yousze" and nobody tries to spell it ever

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Youge

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
uj

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

yourgeoise

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

No, YOURgeousie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Kenning posted:

In California we will use "my dude" in this way, like "My dude over here needs to chill out."

Boston here. I've definitely heard and used "my guy" or "my dude" as a kind of casual form of address in the way some people will casually say "my friend" to anyone they don't actively despise

"Hey, you got a package to sign for, my guy"

Then there's "this guy" or "this fuckin guy"