Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Folks who live way out in the country, we'd say they're out in east Jesus.

When you're trying to get something into a hole or socket and not getting it in (like a key, cotter pin, etc), some ol boy's likely to say "Put some hair around it!"

"Kindly" instead of "kind of."

"How's your mom 'n them?" at the beginning of a conversation and "say hi to your mom 'n them" at the end.

"I got a full belly and a dry diaper," meaning "I'm content."

There's a million variations on "the boy ain't right," but my favorite has always been "he ain't got the sense he was born with."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chrpno posted:

Here in Australia we have "old mate". Used to describe someone you recently interacted with, when talking to your actual mates. Slightly derogatory.

"Old mate over there reckons there was a blue on last night"

"I was just talkin to old mate about Barnsey"

We got "ol boy" in the a handful of rural US regions. It can mean anything from a guy with just enough personality to not be perpetually anonymous to someone that everybody knows.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Well poo poo fire, save matches.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Major Isoor posted:

haha yeah I always liked that one - my siblings and I use it now and again. It's a good saying :D

Yeah, that's an Australian staple, for sure. There's also "your mate", which is used jokingly/sarcastically to associate someone with a mutually disliked person. (Especially if there's a third party in the conversation, who isn't too familiar with the soon-to-be-former friend you're trying to slander)
e.g. "Hey look, your mate Clive [Palmer] is on the TV!" "What? Oh gently caress off!"

It's "your boy" in parts of the US and it's one of the most loving maddening things in the world, probably because my dad did it to me until I finally lit into him over it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ProperCoochie posted:

Dining needle = dragonfly

This is a distillation of "darning needle" or "darner," which is a common name for a few dragonfly species.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chrpno posted:

Where does the mangling "what all did you do there" come from? Seen it a few times on chat.

Do what now?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Greatbacon posted:

frontage-road -- the lower speed, lower capacity road that runs parallel to highways

flip a bitch - a u-turn

safety meeting - go toke as a group, as in "we're having a safety meeting, wanna join?"

These are definitely said here but they aren't especially local to Colorado.

Things I have only heard in Colorado that may be more skier culture than Colorado, I dunno:

Pow - powdery snow
Jerry - an inexperienced skier who does dumb inexperienced skier stuff

I hear beater and gaper a lot, but I think that's also a Utah thing.

Oh, and re:14ers, you don't "hike" a 14er, you "bag" a 14er.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Old timers in Arkansas always say "by the by" when they mean "by the way."

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

yourgeoise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A Sometimes Food posted:

Australian poo poo here.

"Yeah nah" and "nah yeah" both of which can mean yes, no or be an uncertain equivocation depending on tone and context.

The various stacking of yeah and no in American English is great.

Yeah = yes
No = no
Yeah no = no
Yeah Yeah no = yes
No Yeah = yes