Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Just read in an article about all this that this week the Saudi Public Investment Fund, which is the entity that owns 80% of Newcastle United, purchased 75% stakes in four Saudi clubs including the one Ronaldo plays for (Al-Nassr), the one Benzema just signed for and who are also trying to sign Kante (Al-Ittihad), the one pursuing Messi and Aubameyang (Al-Hilal), and the fourth one that's also pursuing Aubameyang (Al-Shabab).

Just in case anybody needed more evidence that this is all just for show, that's the state buying four football clubs at the same time and then working hard to arrange it so each one has an aging star brought in from overseas to make nine-figure wages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Just read in an article about all this that this week the Saudi Public Investment Fund, which is the entity that owns 80% of Newcastle United, purchased 75% stakes in four Saudi clubs including the one Ronaldo plays for (Al-Nassr), the one Benzema just signed for and who are also trying to sign Kante (Al-Ittihad), the one pursuing Messi and Aubameyang (Al-Hilal), and the fourth one that's also pursuing Aubameyang (Al-Shabab).

Just in case anybody needed more evidence that this is all just for show, that's the state buying four football clubs at the same time and then working hard to arrange it so each one has an aging star brought in from overseas to make nine-figure wages.

This kind of thinking took MLS from A Terrible Standard of Football to A Very Bad Standard of Football in only 25 years

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

This kind of thinking took MLS from A Terrible Standard of Football to A Very Bad Standard of Football in only 25 years

yeah but just look at what it's done for the standard of the USMNT!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

vyelkin posted:

I wonder if they'll try and pull a LIV and buy the champions league to get their poo poo teams in.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I wonder if they'll try and pull a LIV and buy the champions league to get their poo poo teams in.

Don’t give them more ideas!

Also sex ghost please update TRP Rules to state that MBS is not allowed to post or lurk here

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Maybe, but the expanded Club World Cup is already coming

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

they're readying the briefcase of money that says Saudi Arabia is actually in Europe

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

sticksy posted:

Don’t give them more ideas!

Also sex ghost please update TRP Rules to state that MBS is not allowed to post or lurk here

i don't think sex ghost wants to end up in a briefcase

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Akbar posted:

they're readying the briefcase of money that says Saudi Arabia is actually in Europe

If Israeli teams are allowed in why not Saudi?

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

let them in mashallah

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Much like the Champions League some of Saudi Arabia’s best known moments have happened in Istanbul

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Akbar posted:

I wonder how much more rigged the games would be than pep era Barcelona

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Al-Hillal just lost the two-legged AFC Champs League final to Urawa Reds, which is nice that they didn't win but man Urawa are going to be annoying about it.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

harperdc posted:

Al-Hillal just lost the two-legged AFC Champs League final to Urawa Reds, which is nice that they didn't win but man Urawa are going to be annoying about it.

Well, it was the third time we won it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Adun posted:

Much like the Champions League some of Saudi Arabia’s best known moments have happened in Istanbul

:trumppop:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
https://twitter.com/centregoals/status/1667241186673696800

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
lmao

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

lol hes so washed

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nice to see a former Manchester United forward in the team of the season.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Saudi Pro League Team of the Season, featuring a former Manchester United forward!

no, not that one

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

This is incredibly funny

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
It owns because he 100% cares about this and will be fuming lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Good news for our administrator, The Phantom Fucker and hearty lols all around for the rest of us:

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1668283948810620928

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Sad, just sad.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
drat Saudi Arabia is cool now

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

They've offered Lukaku £20m a season which is a loving ton of money but also very funny when Zaha rejected £30m, Kante is going to get £80m, and Ronaldo is getting like £400m

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

They've offered Lukaku £20m a season which is a loving ton of money but also very funny when Zaha rejected £30m, Kante is going to get £80m, and Ronaldo is getting like £400m

lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
for comparison, that's about the same wages De Gea is on at Man U

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
This was the best part of the Athletic article on the Saudi deluge of cash:

quote:

Another potential impact, heavily briefed by competition organisers, are potential public health benefits. The government is keen to improve the statistic that some 60 per cent of the population are overweight or obese. One aim, given by Yasser Al-Misehal, the president of the Saudi Arabian Football Federation, is to increase the number of registered male players from 21,000 to more than 200,000. He did not mention a target for female players.

MBS spending billions on a presidential fitness test

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Saudis are usually pretty successful with weight loss schemes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Spreading it around a bit doesn’t take any weight off

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
How much does a human head weigh

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Gigi Galli posted:

How much does a human head weigh

a regular one or a steve bruce one?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Holy poo poo this is a lot of copium: https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/38026181/cristiano-ronaldo-says-saudi-pro-league-better-mls

quote:

"I opened the way to the Saudi league, and now all the players are coming here."

I can think of about a half billion other reasons players are going to Saudi Arabia now...

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
He's no longer the best but he'll always be first, unless you count all the other guys going back to the 70s who got mega money to play in Saudi for a minute, which we do not

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

the sex ghost posted:

He's no longer the best but he'll always be first, unless you count all the other guys going back to the 70s who got mega money to play in Saudi for a minute, which we do not

Like this bloke
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47258619

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I think actually Saudi league will be interesting this year just cause they actually signed some non washed up players like Savic, Neves, Kante.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
which saudi teams should we all become plastics for