Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
someone fill me in but why do the Saudis hate Ataturk? is it the secularism? it's not like the shirts had khashoggi on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Akbar posted:

someone fill me in but why do the Saudis hate Ataturk? is it the secularism? it's not like the shirts had khashoggi on them

Yeah it's effectively a big show of support for having a secular islamic state so the exact opposite of Saudi Wahhabism

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Akbar posted:

Yeah it's this. The shirts they wanted to wear also had one of his quotes "peace at home, peace in the world" on. Many of my Turkish friends on social media were extremely mad about it, I guess also given the current trajectory of their politics they're clinging on to Atatürk's ideals even more and are extra sensitive when an openly Islamic state like Saudi is deemed to be insulting their secular idol.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Thank you all for the synopsis, I had accidentally let my subscription to Balkan Insight lapse so wasn't able to read the article

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/eurofootcom/status/1746286421588037785?t=H-eYjFzcGyVwH7jvnu-yBg&s=19

Benzema has had enough too

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Back in the day they’d cut your feet off for that. Game’s gone.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
wow thank u saudi arabia for your visionary reimagining of the future of football and the best world cup ever featuring this actual promotional image of the future Prince Mohammed bin Salman Stadium which is to be a host venue for the 2034 world cup and also Al-Nassr and Al-Hilal

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

The futuristic venue’s unique design
leverages its prime location atop Qiddiya
City’s breathtaking Tuwaiq Mountains,
offering spectators incredible views of the
city's lower plateau. The venue will use
immersive technological capabilities to
provide a totally unique spectator
experience that blends live sport,
entertainment and broadcast, utilising the
very latest technology to give fans instant
access to live data and information.

innovative features such as:

quote:

Designed by leading global architectural firm Populous, the stadium is set to be the
world’s first fully integrated venue with a combined retractable roof, pitch and LED
wall – an architectural innovation offering unparalleled versatility and allowing the
space to transform into different ‘event modes” in a matter of minutes. The
climate-controlled venue leverages an energy efficient cooling system, with
advanced recycling technology to produce cold air while also meeting LEED Gold
standards for sustainable design.

i feel like i've heard this "open air stadium with full air conditioning that is also sustainable" pitch somewhere before but i just cant put my finger on it

7 bajillion people will visit every year*

*source: trust me bro

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Building it on the edge of a cliff means you don’t need to bother digging graves when your slave labour construction workers die

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Love the old walk up to the stadium but it's up a sheer cliff face

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

gonna lose so many balls kicked out that window and off the cliff

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

injury time works the same way

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
“In the edge of a cliff” is the perfect metaphor for the current state of the Saudi Pro League

This is the most hilariously Minecraft-rear end poo poo I’ve ever seen.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A big holographic Ronaldo telling you to buy an apartment in Neom

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

vyelkin posted:

wow thank u saudi arabia for your visionary reimagining of the future of football and the best world cup ever featuring this actual promotional image of the future Prince Mohammed bin Salman Stadium which is to be a host venue for the 2034 world cup and also Al-Nassr and Al-Hilal

Anarchy Theocracy Online

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Imgaine four footballs on the edge of a cliff...

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Thanks Ants posted:

A big holographic Ronaldo telling you to buy an apartment in Neom

“prices siuuu low you’ll think you’re at the doors of paradise”

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

vyelkin posted:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

That looks like I used cheats to noclip out of the map in a 90s PC game and then the textures started wigging out

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
first stadium located on the edge of a cliff

you cant write allegory this fine

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
‘Many are discontented’: Aymeric Laporte lifts lid on life in Saudi football
The former Manchester City defender plays for Al-Nassr
Teammate Ronaldo says Pro League is better than Ligue 1

John Brewin

After Jordan Henderson’s departure from the Pro League to join Ajax, a fellow Premier League emigre has spoken of the difficulty of life in Saudi Arabian football.

The defender Aymeric Laporte, formerly of Manchester City and a Spain international, plays for Al-Nassr, the club of Cristiano Ronaldo. While the Portuguese, speaking at an awards event in Dubai, on Friday said the Pro League was better than France’s Ligue 1, his teammate spoke far less favourably.

Laporte said it has proven difficult to adapt to his new surroundings in an interview with Spanish newspaper AS. “It is a big change compared to Europe, but in the end it is all about adaptation,” said the five-time English Premier League winner. “They have not made it easy for us. In fact, there are many players that are discontented. We are working on it every day, negotiating so to speak, and to see if it improves a little because this is something new for them too, having European players who already have a long career. Maybe they are not used to this and have to adapt to a little more seriousness.

Laporte acknowledged the financial rewards on offer, and said he had no plans to leave but Henderson’s exit, and talk of dissatisfaction from Roberto Firmino and Karim Benzema, both linked with loan moves back to Europe, has thrown deep doubts in what became a gold rush for players last summer.

“Many of us have also come here not only for football,” said Laporte. “Many of us are happy with that, but I am also looking for something beyond that is not the economic part and such. In terms of quality of life, I expected something different because in the end here you spend three hours a day in the car. Riyadh is a waste of traffic, of time wasted in the car.”

That contravened the glowing review given to Saudi football from Ronaldo, who on Friday received three Globe Soccer awards in Dubai after scoring 54 goals in 59 games for Al-Nassr. He declared: “To be honest, I think the Saudi league is not worse than the French league, in my opinion. In Saudi, I think it is more competitive. They can say whatever they want; it is just an opinion. I have played here for one year so I know what I am talking about. But, I think right now we are better than the French league.”

Laporte meanwhile signalled that a lack of professionalism has been problematic. “The ultimatum you can give them doesn’t matter to them. I mean, they’re really going about their business. You negotiate something and then they don’t accept it after you have signed it. They fight you.”

Friday saw Henderson unveiled by Ajax after his ill-starred spell with Al-Ettifaq. The former Liverpool captain refused to criticise his now-former employers: “I haven’t got a bad word to say about anybody over there in the league, or the club. I’ll have friends over there that I’ll speak to forever.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/20/many-are-discontented-aymeric-laporte-lifts-lid-on-life-in-saudi-football

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

curent ronaldo would get destroyed in ligue 1

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I just want to see Ronaldo and Gerrard sticking around insisting it’s a great league, like the guy from the Simpsons taking a bite out of a lemon.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:
https://twitter.com/footballontnt/status/1749847007697551777

lmao

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The face of a man who's already got your money. Owned lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

being a fan of a player instead of a team is a whole other level of plastic

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

what i've learned from watching afcon is that most of the guys playing there are washed up

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

jesus WEP posted:

being a fan of a player instead of a team is a whole other level of plastic

Imagine if Christian Ronald played basketball.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/TransferSector/status/1749780798276833741

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my “not involved in sports-loving-washing” scarf keeps raising questions already answered by the scarf

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
maybe if you don't want to be asked about sportswashing you should not have taken the sportswashing job

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Messi's MLS team lost 6-0 to Ronaldo's SPL team in a match where Ronaldo didn't play and Messi came on as a substitute with 7 minutes left to play, finally proving once and for all that the Saudi Pro League has established itself as a superior old man retirement league

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I have a dream to see messi and ronaldo on opposite sides of the old firm for their last year in football, how do we make this a reality

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Xpost from PSP

Saudi league is cool now

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
lmao sure why not

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

Xpost from PSP

Saudi league is cool now

Undertaker is extremely a Blue Line guy, so no, not cool.

Also Messi did the same thing on Inter Miami’s trip to Hong Kong. And the upset behavior reminds me of Chinese basketball fans who are
Kobe stans before being a fan of a team.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

harperdc posted:

Oh god who gives a gently caress? If we can’t find the sight of a pretend dead wrestling zombie handing over a trophy in a plastic retirement league funny and good, then life is not worth living.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

harperdc posted:

:jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

if you say “lol hell yeah” at neymar getting fat and zero-gently caress-giving in saudi you basically voted for bolsonaro