Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Donate if you're rad:

https://www.revivethedrive.org

Heya goons! Friendly neighborhood Adiabatic here.

You may remember me from The Shadetree Mechanic's Garage:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3672020

In fact, this beautiful wonderful idea started right here on Something Awful, on Page 75 of that thread with the Subaru Legacy. More details on this in subsequent posts!

What We Do

1. We accept donated vehicles, with or without mechanical problems, from awesome people that have them laying around and want a sweet tax writeoff.
2. We then accept monetary donations from more awesome people with big hearts and even bigger bank accounts, who also probably want a tax writeoff.
3. We use the money to buy parts, fluids, shop supplies, tires, alignment services, and state tax inspections for the donated vehicles to get them running and up to date on scheduled maintenance.
4. We then work with other charities in the Richmond, VA area that have families who need cars, and give these cars to those families!

Why We Do It

We love fixing cars, and we love helping people! Almost 25% of the Richmond population lives in poverty, and over 60% of those living in poverty have no vehicle. That makes getting to a job extremely difficult. We want to help people better their lives. By giving someone a car, we can be the jumpstart that they need to revive their livelihood.

How We Started

I love working on cars. Always have. However, I hate working on my own cars. So I came up with the idea to buy a cheap car that needed mechanical work. A few days later, I found the perfect match online - a Subaru Legacy with a busted transmission. My lady and I rented a trailer and bought the car from a family in Fredericksburg, VA. When we got to the house to pick up the car, we met the family and learned that the Subaru was their only form of transportation and they were heartbroken that it had broken down. But they couldn’t afford to take it to a mechanic, so they decided to cut their losses. We couldn’t get this family off of our minds, to be honest, but we already had another family lined up to take the Subaru once it was drivable. So we moved forward with the original plan.

In a crazy turn of events, things fell through with the receiving family… so now the Subaru was fixed, with no one to take it.

We immediately contacted the original family and offered to give the car back to them. Turns out, the mom had been borrowing friends’ cars to get to and from work, so she was ecstatic to be getting her car back, and in much better condition than she could have imagined! I was telling this story to a friend over lunch the next week when my friend suggested creating a nonprofit so that this experience of blessing a family could continue, hopefully many more times. A couple of weeks later, that little suggestion became reality, as Revive the Drive was created and incorporated.

This is just the beginning…. and we’re incredibly excited to see where this journey leads!

So goons, come with me on a magnificent journey, where I catalog our escapades with this frankly insane idea to fix cars and give them to people who need them.

Ok, cool, but what's this thread for?

We had an idea that we'd send out a newsletter to the donors, and tell them what we did with their money. Those newsletters will be borne from my documentation of all the car work in this very thread!

For instance, our very own sharkytm was our very first donor! He followed the Paypal link on our website and donated a cool $250 and will forever be cemented as our first benefactor!

sharkytm posted:

:love::swoon::kiss:
When you get 501c3, I'll donate $250. Toxx me.

Thank you buddy.

Anywho, this thread will document:

1. The vehicles we have donated to us and their mechanical journey to rebirth
2. Our hilarious ventures in figuring out how the heck to start and run a nonprofit
3. Goon Highlights whenever yall decide to donate money, services, or time to our cause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

State of the Garage

I'll keep this post updated to let everyone know where we're at.

Cars

We are working on getting the following cars donated to us. More hilarity will ensue in trying to do this simple process, as wow are the forms lengthy and coma-inducing:

1. A 90s 305 camaro with a manual (bitchin ride for a family if I say so)
2. A chevy malibu that will randomly turn off at the most inopportune times
3. A chevy tahoe that "doesnt need anything"
4. MYSTERY CAR (Even I don't know what it is yet) with an oil leak This one slipped away.

Admin

1. Submit Articles of Incorporation to VA SCC - DONE
2. Submit for IRS Tax EIN - DONE
3. Resubmit Articles of Incorporation because I forgot to add nonprofit language - DONE
4. Create Bylaws - DONE
5. Get an awesome pro bono lawyer - DONE
6. File for 501c3 status with IRS - DONE
7. Make lovely website - DONE
8. Get a bank account - DONE
9. Make a better website - DONE
10. Figure out donation forms for cars
11. Figure out donation receipts - DONE
12. Zeffy automated donation form for moneys - DONE
13. Add car donation form to website - DONE
14. File for Tax exemption in Virginia
15. Figure out how we can donate more than 5 cars per year without becoming a car dealer in VA lmfao
16. Logos!

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 13, 2023

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ground floor. Donation incoming.

Edit: Your credit card form asks for "legal first name" and "legal last name" -- this blew up my auto-form-filler that was looking to fill first name / last name

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 31, 2022

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Ground floor. Donation incoming.

Edit: Your credit card form asks for "legal first name" and "legal last name" -- this blew up my auto-form-filler that was looking to fill first name / last name

You the man!

Oof, yeah, so Paypal is a stopgap at the moment. I have to manually give you a tax receipt and it also has crappy fees. I will make sure we get this fixed with our Zeffy form though!

FYI we havent tested it fully, but Zeffy looks rad as a dono platform. They dont charge fees and it's optional to cover the costs. A nonprofit helping nonprofits.

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One
You’re a good man, and this is a rad charity!

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
You have my wrench, let me know if you require assistance at any point!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
This rules.

Munkeylord posted:

You have my wrench, let me know if you require assistance at any point!

Same, though I'm minimally skilled by AI standards.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
A well worthwhile cause!

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Alright! I'll throw in a few bucks once a more permanent $$ donation solution is implemented.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

This is so loving cool. Ground floor.

E: For the first time in a LONG time, being deeply entrenched in the paypal ecosystem has actually streamlined a process. :aaaaa:

glyph fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 3, 2023

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

glyph posted:

E: For the first time in a LONG time, being deeply entrenched in the paypal ecosystem has actually streamlined a process. :aaaaa:

:hfive:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Y'all are good peeps

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

glyph posted:

Thanks for the dono, bud :D

Commodore_64 posted:

Alright! I'll throw in a few bucks once a more permanent $$ donation solution is implemented.

Ask and you shall receive! We're now using Zeffy and I put a dang dynamically updating dono page on the homepage of our lovely website!

Garage updates incoming...

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

So all of you know all about my garage, being you've read all 76 pages of the previous thread.

But just in case you don't, our space is a cute lil 25x40 Quonset hut in my backyard. It has a bunch of car stuff in it. And a bunch of non-car stuff in it. It's a mess.

But we're all official and bonafide now, therefore we must shape up!

...ok fine, ya got me, the missus is just real tired of looking at these dirty-rear end walls.

So we cued the music and got to work.

Turns out the garage ain't so good at expelling water...

That's fine, nothing a little time and dehumidifier-action can't fix! See? Presto-change-o cut to this morning!

...ok fine I'll buy a mop.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
woaw, that place cleans up nice!

Dagen H posted:

Y'all are good peeps
no

Tyro posted:

This rules.

Same, though I'm minimally skilled by AI standards.
It's a collective, noone knows all. there's too much to know. never too late to learn new car tricks regardless of your knowledge.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

...ok fine I'll buy a mop.

Get a squeegee too. My buddies shop has the same 'water won't leave' issue. Just sweep it out the door.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
My pushbroom has a squeegee on the back side, it's super useful. Quickie makes it, iirc.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Adiabatic posted:

Thanks for the dono, bud :D

Ask and you shall receive! We're now using Zeffy and I put a dang dynamically updating dono page on the homepage of our lovely website!

Garage updates incoming...
How much do the various inspections / fees go for? How much for safety, emissions, and registration? I looked at the fee schedule on https://www.dmv.virginia.gov but am apparently to stupid or lazy to figure out what a reasonable amount would be to have the state let your fixer uppered car on the road. Sent some dollarydos.

Also, will the donations names be anonymized if they ever become a scroller / publicly visible list?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Commodore_64 posted:

How much do the various inspections / fees go for? How much for safety, emissions, and registration? I looked at the fee schedule on https://www.dmv.virginia.gov but am apparently to stupid or lazy to figure out what a reasonable amount would be to have the state let your fixer uppered car on the road. Sent some dollarydos.

Also, will the donations names be anonymized if they ever become a scroller / publicly visible list?

Lordy, so this opens a can of worms we've been mulling over for a while.

Inspections in VA are easy - $20 for a yearly inspection, with no emissions requirements as long as you aren't next to DC.

Titling and registration, then transfer to the needy? Well, the answer is "we're figuring it out still".

We can receive as many vehicles we would like to receive, for free, via the IRS form 1098-C. Registering and titling those vehicles is necessary, and we're still figuring out what taxes and fees we need to do for title transfer to Revive the Drive. I think the answer is $0 due to our nonprofit status, but rest assured it's a big topic of conversation with our lawyer at our next meeting.

As far as donating vehicles to the needy families, we need to figure out if we need to become a dealer, if we plan on donating more than 4 per year. Selling more than 4 per year requires a dealer license in VA, which is a pain in the rear end, even with the very excellent VA Statute 46.2-1508.1 Licensure of Certain Nonprofit Organizations. I'm not convinced we're a dealer, considering the definition in VA starts with "For commission, money, or other thing of value" and we're gifting them outright. Again, another lawyer conversation. Thank God he's pro-bono. But the normal title transfer process occurs there as well.

As far as donations, there's no requirement by VA or the IRS that we disclose the names publically. Only that we have the evidence handy for audit that the donations are not coming from directors or family members of directors. The annual IRS form 990 that we are required to submit only has dollar values of donations, not donor info.

We do not plan to disclose anyone's real name anywhere, and I plan to only disclose the forum name of those that post here that they've donated. Aside from sharkytm. Whoops.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Oh hey but anyways, car stuff!

Got rid of the old Subaru transmission:

Got a great trade-in too:

No nonprofit money was used to buy this trailer. I bought it personally with my own money so I could use it personally.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Nice, I'm jealous, I need a nice trailer for projects.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I've wanted one for a while just for personal projects, and it just made good sense given the nonprofit.

Hey so should I repost the content here with the Legacy? The repair part is documented in my other thread, but the story isn't. Figure it'd give us some good content while we wait for one of those four cars to be donated, and everyone likes a good origin story.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

I've wanted one for a while just for personal projects, and it just made good sense given the nonprofit.

Hey so should I repost the content here with the Legacy? The repair part is documented in my other thread, but the story isn't. Figure it'd give us some good content while we wait for one of those four cars to be donated, and everyone likes a good origin story.

:justpost:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

This is awesome, AI is the best.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

This may have to wait.....

I'm about to go use the trailer to pick up a Chrysler product. Story tonight.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Adiabatic posted:

This may have to wait.....

I'm about to go use the trailer to pick up a Chrysler product. Story tonight.

i thought you were trying to help needy people :v:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i thought you were trying to help needy people :v:

You know, when I got to the "Battery is below the passenger seat" portion of this ordeal, I was thinking around the same.

Thursday, January 5th

I get a text from my lady - her coworker's daughter has a friend who:

is 17
is in a nursing program or has some sort of nursing job
has 7 siblings and takes care of most of them
has a mother that walks to work at mcdonalds
has a second job now to pay for the ubers she has to take to get to work because she
has a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that won't start

Unfortunately we started playing a lovely game of telephone with non-car people but I was able to surmise that:

the person who charged them $200 worked on it in the parking lot but said the engine was seized and also the starter motor was bad?
it sparked a bunch when they put the battery terminal on it and everything died
there's a massive oil leak
they've been "filling it with oil whenever the oil light comes on" :stare:

So I'm thinking this thing's toast, but might as well go out there and verify that the engine won't turn over by hand I guess. We set a date to go look at it: Saturday morning, 10am.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Saturday, January 7th

The lady and I head on out to see the vehicle.

First things first, check the oil.

No oil.

I find a full 5qt container of 20W-50 next to an empty 5qt container of 20W-50 :stare:

I also find some rather important-sized bolts in the driver floorboard :stare:

Ok, whatever, we'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I dump 2qts of the molasses into the crankcase and it finally starts reading on the dipstick.

I turn the motor over by hand. It's fine.

I try to start it. Nothing but a click.

I find the battery is currently at a whopping 4.1V. I also find the battery is for some weird reason under the passenger floorboard.

I start to question my life decisions.

The coworker really wants this thing working again, so she agrees to buy the $250 special snowflake battery.

We go back, swap the battery out, I hit the push start button, I hear whirring like the starter's just free spinning. I also smell something burning.

Alright, I pop the negative terminal off, roll under the car, and am greeted by this:

Why is the starter hanging out free from everything? Why are the bolts missing from the motor mount too? Well, at least I found where those bolts came from.

Also WHY ARE THERE CHISEL MARKS ALL OVER THE STARTER AND MOTOR MOUNT

Ok, time to send in the cavalry.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 9, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Everyone in here knows I'm not the brightest bulb. Not quite the dimmest, but I'm slowly flickering my way there. And I've never owned a Chrysler product (yet). But even to me, that don't look right.

As for batteries, might I suggest getting this charger? The recondition mode brought the battery back on my neighbor's Rogue (it was at <3V, she's still driving it on the same battery today, well over a year later), though it took a solid day to do so. Obviously get the extra warranty since, well, HF. But it pays for itself once you manage to bring one battery back from the dead.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 9, 2023

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Sunday, January 8th

Got it back to the garage, time to do some stuff.

Bolted the starter back in.

It started back up, after some hiccups and some failed starts.

Kinda sounds like it's misfiring, but no evil knocks. Maybe a slight one?

Oh and we also talked more with this girl, and as far as we can piece together, she paid someone $200 to take the motor mount and starter half-off, beat them with chisels, and then tell her the motor was seized. When it was just a battery.

OH and that "oil light"? Turns out she meant the oil change due screen :)

We're gonna fix that oil leak anyway though. Looks like it's where Chrysler 3.6 V6's always leak - the oil cooler / oil filter housing.

I sucked up all the valley oil and then turned the car back on and hey look at this nice steady stream!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Stuff to do:

Oil filter housing leak fix
Bolt the motor mount back up
Figure out the misfire
Send it on its little Chrysler way and probably find another car for this lady since this one's bound to blow up soon

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

This is the best thread.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

You are good people

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I swear they need to teach "basic automotive operations and maintenance" as part of driver's ed. Also: read the owners manual.

Thumbs up to you, and agreed, that thing's not going to keep running for long if it's been run dry. My advice: trade it in on something more reliable (not a Chrysler or Nissan) while it's still going!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sharkytm posted:

I swear they need to teach "basic automotive operations and maintenance" as part of driver's ed. Also: read the owners manual.

I don't disagree, but as thread after thread on these dead forums shows, many people end up paying someone they believe to be qualified to do work they aren't able to do on their own, and end up with work that's anywhere from "below amateur" to "dangerously bad".

The Jeep owner absolutely wasn't doing themselves any favors with their lack of oil, but goddamn I'm just mad at whatever loving dipshit took $200 to completely gently caress up some basic work.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Thumbs up to you, and agreed, that thing's not going to keep running for long if it's been run dry. My advice: trade it in on something more reliable (not a Chrysler or Nissan) while it's still going!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't disagree, but as thread after thread on these dead forums shows, many people end up paying someone they believe to be qualified to do work they aren't able to do on their own, and end up with work that's anywhere from "below amateur" to "dangerously bad".

The Jeep owner absolutely wasn't doing themselves any favors with their lack of oil, but goddamn I'm just mad at whatever loving dipshit took $200 to completely gently caress up some basic work.

So the "oil light came on" thing turned out to be the oil change soon info message, but there's some other issues - namely the check engine light is on and won't clear, for P0522 - low voltage on the oil pressure sensor. So the oil light probably wouldn't come on even if it needed to. Couple that with me having to put 2 or 3 qts into it when I touched it first, and we have a possible major issue.

Here's what it sounds like underneath, with 20W-50 oil in it, mind you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVoUA_d3GII

It's much less apparent up top, but that sound concerns me.

Still, I'm going to fix the oil leak and misfire to give her the best shot with the vehicle she has, and hopefully she'll have some decent life out of it while we can work on other cars that we can possibly give her.

These are some difficult decisions that I didn't think I'd need to be making so soon, but here we are!

e: this is also why I want to own the cars. I don't like the liability associated with working on someone else's vehicle and I need to make some big boundaries and overcommunicate if this is going to be commonplace.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 10, 2023

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I can't believe how good the garage cleaned up it looks totally different and all professional now

How are you doing as far as tools go? I have extra tools I could send you if you need/want them.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I can't believe how good the garage cleaned up it looks totally different and all professional now

How are you doing as far as tools go? I have extra tools I could send you if you need/want them.

Thanks bud! I'm pretty good on tools thus far but if you have anything you'd want to send out feel free to PM me!

We've done some work in the background on the garage - I took some pics:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

As far as the Chrysler product goes, I think my next steps are:

1. Have a good long conversation with the mom to set expectations on what I'm doing, where it may lead, what work she's comfortable with me doing, and how long she's comfortable with me having the car.

Assuming she's good with me having it a while and really getting into the issues, I'll:

2. Stethoscope test that noise in the video - I have a hunch it may be coming from a bad rocker arm (the infamous "Pentastar Tick" if you'd like to compare)
3. Take the intake manifold off to start replacing the Oil Filter/Cooler Housing - the source of the engine leak - with an all-aluminum one.
4. While the intake manifold is off, do a compression test, cause, y'know, why not at this point. It's misfiring randomly and these things had head issues.
5. Take the valve covers off and manually inspect each rocker and cam lobe for damage

After all that, I'll have much more information, while only being mildly invasive.

If the rockers turn out to be fine, maybe I take the oil pan off and wiggle the rods. I'll know way better after the above steps are taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Nevermind! She's picking it up tonight with the noise and oil leak still present, as she needs the vehicle tomorrow morning. I'll teach her how to check the oil properly and instruct her to do so frequently.

I'm pretty happy about this update - I think it's outside our scope to work on other people's vehicles. They get to set [and quickly reset] the timeframes, and need to authorize all the work, and I don't have the luxury of time with the vehicle to ensure it's ready to go.

After a pretty in-depth conversation last night, my lady and I believe that the scope of this nonprofit and the money used by it should solely go to vehicles that the nonprofit acquires through donations. We then have the time and space to be able to work on them at our own pace [after work and other obligations] and don't open ourselves up to a whole host of owner confusion and liability concerns.

We can then partner with other nonprofits [one of which we're meeting with tomorrow] that directly work with refugees, single moms, and other individuals in need that they have vetted and have been working with to get them drivers licences and insurance and all that.