Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Giga Pet giveaway posted:

But did he have glowing red eyes and a head made of smoke? That'd make anyone look taller.

I saw someone do a cosplay of this at ECCC and it was loving COOL, they had the red glowing eyes and everything!!

Also re: other versions of pirates vs OFMD versions, I think my favorite is the difference between Calico Jack in OFMD and the one in Black Sails (which I still have not finished, actually :negative:):

one is all well-spoken and charming and the other is a drunken frat boy with a whip :lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

i really think that we might get a season 2 trailer in the next few days, several cast members and the official accounts for the show have been posting about season 2 all at the same time. SO, my prediction is the trailer in the next few days and possible S2 premiere in summer. This is similar to what happened right before the renewal announcement when the official accounts posted about “keeping secrets” and now official accounts are posting about s2 and “summer linens”

I know this sounds like insane cork board and red string type of poo poo but they did this last time, okay :saddumb:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fartington Butts posted:

I'm finally reading On Stranger Tides and boy howdy it's weird reading the descriptions of Bonnet and Thatch while having this show's versions in my mind. Stede is an older pudgy guy who is getting hornt up by takling to a lady. Blackbeard is repeatedly referred to as a giant.

It really sucks that we won't get a proper adaptation of On Stranger Tides after they did that half assed job with the Pirates sequel. Which took absolutely nothing from the book other than Fountain of Youth and Blackbeard is involved.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

Thanks for sharing this! I grabbed a general admission ticket. Did you sign up, too? Should be fun!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

HOLY gently caress posted:

I saw someone do a cosplay of this at ECCC and it was loving COOL, they had the red glowing eyes and everything!!

Also re: other versions of pirates vs OFMD versions, I think my favorite is the difference between Calico Jack in OFMD and the one in Black Sails (which I still have not finished, actually :negative:):

one is all well-spoken and charming and the other is a drunken frat boy with a whip :lmao:

I really hope Taika's Blackbeard doesn't end up like Ray Stevenson's Blackbeard.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

OFMD fans, cast members, and show creator David Jenkins came to support writers at the WGA strike picket line yesterday:

https://twitter.com/sambaschutte/status/1669156409425166336

Kristen Johnston was there too!

https://twitter.com/thekjohnston/status/1669113477875793920

She's spoken at least once about how much she enjoyed her experience being on the show, even as brief as it was.

It has been genuinely heartwarming to see so much support from the fans for the writers, they've also been sending snacks and have paid for at least one food truck. 🥹

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Speaking of OFMD, does anyone know where I can buy an actual, outdoor flag of the lovely cat flag they made in an early episode?

"Cats are witches, and they have knives in their feet!"

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

ConfusedUs posted:

Speaking of OFMD, does anyone know where I can buy an actual, outdoor flag of the lovely cat flag they made in an early episode?

"Cats are witches, and they have knives in their feet!"

A cursory check found two results that seem like what you're looking for on Etsy. Kind of expensive though.

https://tinyurl.com/ofmdcatflag1

https://tinyurl.com/ofmdcatflag2

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I dunno, for custom-made flags those seem like fair prices.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I really want more shows to follow Our Flag Means Death's lead when it comes to nonbinary characters. Give them a storyline and personality outside of being nonbinary, have people use they/them pronouns without it being a whole thing - even if it's not "historically accurate". Just make them a normal character and not a robot or alien or whatever. And, most importantly, have nonbinary writers in the writing room and a nonbinary actor playing them.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

100% agreed! As a nonbinary person it's been so wonderful to see Vico/Jim in the show. There's been a real effort to have a diverse writer's room for OFMD and it really shows.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

After watching the siren episode of what we do in the shadows I kinda want Lazlo to show up in this show, or at least get Matt Berry to play a pirate or something

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Series creator David Jenkins says that Season 2 is coming in October 2023 in a podcast posted today:

https://twitter.com/david_jenkins__/status/1681703776359415818

Link to podcast in case Twitter embeds are being poo poo again:

Hills I'd Die on with Taylor Cox, s2 e32 He says the date around the 5:30 mark.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

This article is apparently kind of spoilery for Season 2 (didn't read it because of this) but this Vanity Fair article says Season 2 is coming in October, confirming what David Jenkins said on the podcast episode I posted upthread.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I had no idea this thread ever existed until today, and now I'm learning this show is back in October? Hell yeah.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

David Jenkins posted the teaser on his Tumblr. The fans must be FREAKING OUT

https://www.tumblr.com/davidjenks/727100301695418368/the-beautiful-ones-always-smash-the-picture

"I've done a punch!" is such a great line.

Jet Jaguar fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 30, 2023

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

oh my god OH MY GOD

I can't obsessively watch it right now because I'm at work but did I spot Calico Jack in there?!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I don't remember, I just kept rewatching it looking for Lucius. (Who is not there, they are so mean)

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

holy poo poo Jim and Frenchie’s New Crew outfits!! the Wolverine claws! :lmao:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
New trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0fVBD2ltBw

It's probably somewhat spoilery so don't look if you want to go into it completely unspoiled

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

lmao you beat me by one minute!

I'M EXCITED

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
The first season was so charming I'm glad it's back.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Trailer spoilers: Looks like Izzy's foot got infected, I wonder if we're going to get into the season with that already come to pass or not. I would like to see Ed at least express some remorse over that but who knows. There are already some shitheads online saying he "deserved" it, to the surprise of probably nobody :smith:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

holy poo poo!! Max actually spent some money promoting the show!!!

edit: apparently they’re putting it up on the side of HBO’s LA headquarters too?! WHAT

HOLY FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 21, 2023

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
That's so frickin rad.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Early reviews good. Sounds like it's more angsty than the first season, which makes sense with where the story is, but that it stays on the right side of comedy.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Early reviews good. Sounds like it's more angsty than the first season, which makes sense with where the story is, but that it stays on the right side of comedy.

That's great to hear!

aaaa, I'm so excited! also I just realized that I should probably get the thread title changed with the release date :doh:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

One of the reviews (this one in Collider) dropped this tidbit, which I want to know more about :

quote:

For better or worse, Season 1 of Our Flag Means Death was arguably a bit of a sausage fest — but Season 2 takes a significant step forward in broadening the scope of the show's characters as well as sowing the field with a lot of delightful new additions... While some of the season's initial reveals are too good to risk spoiling, there are more than a few others who have already been teased out in the weeks leading up to the premiere, and the show makes the absolute most of their presences whenever they pop up on-screen.

I know they're not coming back, but I did so love Stede's wife and her friend the widow Evelyn Higgins, played by Kristin Johnson. When asked about her husband's death: "Murder is a natural cause."

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Behind-the-scenes footage from the upcoming season. Which looks great, other than the "You know what's great about New Zealand? No union jobs!" blurb in the middle of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf7LTBgw9cs

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Jet Jaguar posted:

Behind-the-scenes footage from the upcoming season. Which looks great, other than the "You know what's great about New Zealand? No union jobs!" blurb in the middle of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf7LTBgw9cs

pretty neat they have a full moveable ship to film in a soundstage

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

New episode is up on HBO Max!!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I already considered it when she first showed up, but the end of the first episode spells it out. It's The Pirate Queen Zheng Yi Sao commander of 80.000 people!
I hope they do her justice. For some unknown reason that person is largely ignored by popular culture.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 5, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

cant cook creole bream posted:

I already considered it when she first showed up, but the end of the first episode spells it out. It's The Pirate Queen Zheng Yi Sao commander of 80.000 people!
I hope they do her justice. For some unknown reason that person is largely ignored by popular culture.

There's a lot about Chinese seafaring history that is largely unknown in popular culture. I remember being blown away when I learned about Zheng He's treasure ships

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

what a wonderful way to open a season. The dog thing though, oof. Poor guy.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Hell yeah, Zheng Yi Sao!!! That was cool as hell.

Ed's Izzy mutilation was worse than I even thought, I had assumed that the original wound got infected which necessitated the amputation of his leg, not that Ed continued to cut toes off every time he got angry and THEN shot him in the leg, leading to its removal. What the gently caress.

Lots of soup mentions in the season so far. I wonder if Samba's going to post some recipes on Instagram if he hasn't already

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

HOLY gently caress posted:

Ed's Izzy mutilation was worse than I even thought, I had assumed that the original wound got infected which necessitated the amputation of his leg, not that Ed continued to cut toes off every time he got angry and THEN shot him in the leg, leading to its removal. What the gently caress.

I know it's a conceit of the show that we're following pirates who commit lots of murder, but I do hope Izzy whacks of one of BB's legs. It's harder to feel great about BB getting his boy toy back given the mutilation and manipulation of the first two eps. Probably the point.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

The recap at the start of episode 1 makes me miss Mary all over again. But that actress is doing well on another show, I guess?

Also, Frenchie's coping mechanism for dealing with unpleasant things seems like a winner.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I can't believe they found a way to make Jim hotter than they already were.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I know it's a conceit of the show that we're following pirates who commit lots of murder, but I do hope Izzy whacks of one of BB's legs. It's harder to feel great about BB getting his boy toy back given the mutilation and manipulation of the first two eps. Probably the point.

Even with that conceit, I doubt Ed's getting let off the hook by anyone but Stede. Everyone else on the Revenge was either left for dead by him, or was caught in his self-destructive spiral for months. That moment between Ed and Stede was sweet and tender, but the aftermath is going to be pure chaos.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

Also, Frenchie's coping mechanism for dealing with unpleasant things seems like a winner.

I’m pleased with how much Frenchie screen time we’ve gotten so far. Also I know I’ve already said this but I can’t get over how loving kickass Blackbeard’s crew looks even though they’re sad and scared and exhausted :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Show is back and show is great

definitely was tearing up at the end of the third episode. No idea how they’re gonna bring the audience back on Ed’s side after how awful he’s been, but it’ll be a great journey either way.