Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

The ending of the 3rd episode 😭🥹

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I hope we’re onto semi regular individual episodes full of shenanigans now. These first 3 left me exhausted.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Considering the trailer shown at the end of the third episode I'm assuming Ed and Stede are going to be spending most of the season apart since there were a lot of clips of the crew without him around.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
This has been a really odd one so far. I don't think the hardcore fans will mind, but three episodes in and I'm wondering if they've made a misstep with the tone.

Part of Season 1's success lay in how it began as a light-hearted, basically parodic sitcom romp and then gradually introduced some heartfelt romance and life-or-death stakes into the mix. Season 2 feels like it's starting out with the drama and comedy in hard collision.

The show wants us to genuinely empathise with Lucius, Izzy and the crew's suffering at Blackbeard's hands, but if Episode 3 is any indication, it also seems to be expecting us to remain onboard with the proposition that Ed is at heart a Sad and Troubled Boy lashing out and love can fix him.

If OFMD is primarily an episodical rom-com and the violence is just for dark laughs in the background of the love story, that's not a problem.

But if we're meant to take all the cruelty, mutilations and trauma from the first two episodes seriously and as lasting consequences, the rom-com stuff becomes impossible to reckon with: Ed isn't a troubled but redeemable soul, he's an abusive and unstable sadist. Which makes Stede dangerously deluded instead of a naive romantic, and the crew less of a loyal found family and more a bunch of beaten-down wrecks who can't break free from their attachment to their abuser and abuser's enabler.

Which would be a brave direction for the soft-hearted gay pirate show to take, but again, Ep 3 suggests they want to try and continue humanising Ed as well, and I don't think Waititi or the character's generic tragic backstory are good enough to actually pull that off.

And so we end up with some really bizarre, ethically unpleasant moments like Izzy telling Stede 'well, he only cut off my toes, caused the amputation of my leg and goaded me into suicide because you broke up with him, so let's reflect on how we both let him down', which feel like something Will Graham might be told about Hannibal.

The good news is that the ensemble cast is as strong as ever, the new additions work well, and Fang, Jim and Frenchie look incredible in their Mad Max gear.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm happy to see the detective from Deadloch get more work.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I hope Izzy gets a hug

Hopefully in better circumstances than this hug:

Also minor spoiler from one of the upcoming episodes tomorrow Samba Schutte/Roach told us to get our tissues ready…:cry:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

grobbo posted:

This has been a really odd one so far. I don't think the hardcore fans will mind, but three episodes in and I'm wondering if they've made a misstep with the tone.

imho they're making a mistake practically every serialized show makes:

- set up a cliffhanger ending at the end of the season, so people come back for the next season...
- ...spend half of the next season undoing the events of the cliffhanger

By the time they're resolved the cliffhanger from the previous season, there's not much time left to simply tell stories... they need to start immediately setting up the next end-of-season plot beat. OFMD is a much much much better show than "Disenchantment," but OFMD reminds me of it as it enters season 2... there's no time for jokes or comedic setups any more; the humor becomes "characters making anachronistic quips" as they race from location to location in order to move the story forward

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 12, 2023

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Episode 5 feels like they're getting back to some shenanigans. Also poor Frenchie and his peanut allergy :(

Some of the crew's acceptance of "yeah, this is what happens, they get away with it" made me kind of sad, but yeah I know "they're pirates, they're used to it" (Ed). I'm not saying this is good by the way, more that it happens enough that it isn't a surprise for some of them, like Archie.

I'm hoping that Ed and Izzy have an actual conversation soon. The deterioration of their relationship has been heartbreaking to watch. Going from "I need you here" to maiming him is just :cry:

Also I've seen some people (not here, I think?) saying that it wasn't believable for Izzy to care about the crew in s2? Like he literally tells a distracted Ed that several of his crew members died on a raid back in Season 1 and Ed doesn't give a gently caress, come on

anyway I've really enjoyed this season so far but I admit that I'm extremely biased and would probably like it even if it was written in David Jenkins' Notes app and posted to his Instagram

HOLY FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 12, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fun IRL pirate fact about episode 4. Anne Bonney and Mary Reed originally met and fell in love when they were both pretending to be men on a pirate crew.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

If that is the last we see of Anne and Mary I will be so disappointed. Got along like a house afire, those two.

Roach and Frenchie are men of science! Gotta leave tribute to the fairies that made the bread rise, that's just scientific fact.

Couple of great echoes of the first season and I imagine the fanart factory is going at a record pace.

Also OMG I did not recognize the new bad guy for a second. BRONSON PINCHOT!?!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Polo-Rican posted:

imho they're making a mistake practically every serialized show makes:

- set up a cliffhanger ending at the end of the season, so people come back for the next season...
- ...spend half of the next season undoing the events of the cliffhanger

By the time they're resolved the cliffhanger from the previous season, there's not much time left to simply tell stories... they need to start immediately setting up the next end-of-season plot beat. OFMD is a much much much better show than "Disenchantment," but OFMD reminds me of it as it enters season 2... there's no time for jokes or comedic setups any more; the humor becomes "characters making anachronistic quips" as they race from location to location in order to move the story forward

tbh I thought the first half of season 1 was a mess so on balance I think season 2 is doing better despite this flaw

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shirtless Izzy might be the first time I've raised a brow at a guy in like, 10 years. Hello.

That said, I am extremely tired of Izzy and his melodramatic bullshit and I honestly hope that Ed murders him in the middle of the night when noone else is around and just tosses him in the ocean and that's the end of Izzy.

I'm enjoying this season. It's a little more serious but not enough to be a problem.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Some s2 BTS things, only for episodes that have already aired (1-5):

The list of Blackbeard’s alleged crimes from the other side of his Wanted poster:

Tag yourself, I’m “‘COMMUNISM’ whatever that is”

Frenchie’s kickass jacket:

which is now their new flag!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

HOLY gently caress posted:

The list of Blackbeard’s alleged crimes from the other side of his Wanted poster:

Incredible. I'm "Neither Ceasing, Nor Desisting".

Also, surprised Ed wrote an academic paper at all, even if improperly cited and plagiarised.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

For the love of god can I get the new flag as merchandise so I can fly it at my home

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Shirtless Izzy might be the first time I've raised a brow at a guy in like, 10 years. Hello.

That said, I am extremely tired of Izzy and his melodramatic bullshit and I honestly hope that Ed murders him in the middle of the night when noone else is around and just tosses him in the ocean and that's the end of Izzy.

I'm enjoying this season. It's a little more serious but not enough to be a problem.

I hated Izzy until I saw him described as the only human in a muppet movie and now he’s the best. I mentally add “you loving muppet” to the end of at least one of his lines every episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HOLY gently caress posted:

Frenchie’s kickass jacket:

which is now their new flag!

Word fact: the term "genocide" wasn't coined until 1944.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

It says “probably” !!!!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, those past two episodes went to places I did not expect.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

god SAME

Eps 6&7:

I was so distracted by everything else going on in the episodes that i didn’t even think about Barnes’ dumb clock even though they kept showing it so the end totally took me by surprise.

I enjoyed the episodes this week a lot! I keep remembering Stede’s lame “Mercy…. BEAUCOUP!” line and laughing, it’s so perfect

Frenchie’s Authentic Plank scam was great, I’m glad he got to fleece some people :shobon:

Also it was really nice to hear Con O’Neill sing! That’s something that’s been on a lot of fans’ lists of things they want to see in the show for awhile.

oh and also

GOOD TO HEAR THAT’S NOT THE ONLY THING THAT DOCKED :smuggo:

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Here’s an article about the costumes in Ep 6 (which also has spoilers for Ep 7)!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

"The Swede is hot now!" got such a laugh from me.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I loved Stede’s dream of murdering Izzy, but I like wisened teammate Izzy even more.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So I'm guessing that with things now being very kaboom and desperate, the next episode is going to have a "We don't need Ed: we need Blackbeard" moment, to further confuse Ed about who he's going to be.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 20, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Was O’Neill singing over the end of ep 5 too?

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

I'm fairly certain it's not, but I thought so too at first. I'm trying to find out where I saw that with my bad search skills and have so far not been successful

Lasca
May 8, 2007

Sounded like him to me

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Such a weird failure of the Max app that it tries to skip the after credits scene in each episode.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Hahaha as soon as I saw the clocks I turned to my wife and said “Time Bombs”, hole in one haha

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I watched the last few episodes of season 1 with my friend and his roommate when they aired, and I finally got around to watching everything from the beginning and got caught up. Season 1 is perfection. Season 2 is really good so far, but I don't think it's quite as good as Season 1. I think the one thing that's starting to grate on me just a little bit is the back and forth of - Stede and Ed are going to get together! Now they're separated! Now they're back together! Now they're separating. Now they're back together and admitting they're in love. Now Ed's leaving because he doesn't want to be a pirate anymore.

However, I'm so happy that my fav character, Lucious, is back! And also, holy cow, I've done a complete 180 on how I feel about Mr. Hands.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hmm, I wonder if we might end up losing Revenge and Queen Anne's Revenge will replace her for S3.

discoukulele posted:

I watched the last few episodes of season 1 with my friend and his roommate when they aired, and I finally got around to watching everything from the beginning and got caught up. Season 1 is perfection. Season 2 is really good so far, but I don't think it's quite as good as Season 1. I think the one thing that's starting to grate on me just a little bit is the back and forth of - Stede and Ed are going to get together! Now they're separated! Now they're back together! Now they're separating. Now they're back together and admitting they're in love. Now Ed's leaving because he doesn't want to be a pirate anymore.

Yeah I feel like at this point it'd be best if S3 just gets both the characters and the audience on the same page at the start of the season with acknowledging that we've reached the point where that whatever problems these two have (and they're going to have many) they're going to be sticking together. Just get that out of the way to make space.

ConfusedUs posted:

I hated Izzy until I saw him described as the only human in a muppet movie and now he’s the best. I mentally add “you loving muppet” to the end of at least one of his lines every episode.

Saw an interview with the showrunner where he said that was the favourite comment he'd seen about the show.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 23, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Do we actually think we’ll get a S3? It felt super thin ice and I’m surprised we even got a 2nd season. I suspect Taika has a lot of sway maybe?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The_Doctor posted:

Do we actually think we’ll get a S3? It felt super thin ice and I’m surprised we even got a 2nd season. I suspect Taika has a lot of sway maybe?

That would be two of his shows ending this year, so I'm hopeful for a season 3.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The shortened episode order doesn't make me hopeful.

GreenNight posted:

That would be two of his shows ending this year, so I'm hopeful for a season 3.

...ish. Res Dogs is more Sterlin Harjo's and this is David Jenkin's.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They did slash the budget for season 2, which is why we got 8 episodes instead of 10 and why production moved from LA to NZ. Glass half full take: I think I saw somewhere that as a result it's now actually very low cost for what it is, which might make giving it a third season easier?

Plus, comedic pirates are very in right now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So there’s only 1 ep this week?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The finale, yeah.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Oh poo poo, I didn't realize that. It feels like there's a lot to wrap up in like 25 minutes. :ohdear:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also just as an aside I binged this in the last week or so and I think I may still be in shock from that loving mermaid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Samba is doing another online cooking class:

https://bemoment.us/products/gentlebeard-cupcakes-with-samba-schutte?variant=46941025861928