Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I totally get that at this point there really is no historical accuracy but my husband is really offended that the one guy who history says actually survived being a pirate is the first character straight up killed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I was house-sitting last week and ended up watching the finale on my friend's tv where you can't turn off motion smoothing (which should be an actual crime punishable by jailtime for tv manufacturers). It really gave the episode an added level of cheapness on top of how rushed the story was (and frankly, how kind of cheap everything was looking anyway).

Really disappointing second season. Especially after how perfect the first was. No sense of stake or emotion in any of it. It was still *good* but it was far from great.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

MokBa posted:

tv where you can't turn off motion smoothing

what the gently caress

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I have to say that season 2 was great and well placed through episode 5 or 6, it just really took a swan dive in the last few. For more than half the season it was up there with the best of season one for me

What it feels it needed was another episode between 5 and 6 where they're still more leery of Ed (and there's still a cat bell) and things can breathe a little before the execution in 6, turning 8 into two episodes, and knowing a season 3 was coming so it didn't feel the need to cram endings into the end of the season.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 31, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

HOLY gently caress posted:

also as an aside, O’Neill turned down the role of Bill in the Last of us for this :smith:

To be fair, Offerman did a really incredible job with that role too.

As the season's sat with me, I just fundamentally don't understand why they made Blackbeard that awful at the top of the season. I'm straight up not rooting for him and Stede anymore, because there was so little actual reconciliation done. Character change is cool and good, but I think they did it way too fast here, to the point that I don't know what the Blackbeard character actually is anymore.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He killed (ish) Lucius at the end of the first season, I think they were just being honest to the story they started.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You've already got to suspend morality while you enjoy the characters just off the basic show premise. But yeah, there should've been more reconciliation past the youtuber apology.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 31, 2023

grobbo
May 29, 2014

CatstropheWaitress posted:

As the season's sat with me, I just fundamentally don't understand why they made Blackbeard that awful at the top of the season. I'm straight up not rooting for him and Stede anymore, because there was so little actual reconciliation done. Character change is cool and good, but I think they did it way too fast here, to the point that I don't know what the Blackbeard character actually is anymore.

Yeah, it's a tightrope act when you have a show that's juggling Real Feelings which it wants the audience to care about, and comedy violence and death that aren't meant to be taken as serious consequences. But I do agree that they fell off it.

The end of S1 did perhaps inescapably set up the beginning of S2, but even so for the audience there's a big tonal difference between, say, a character being comically pushed in the water as an easily-escapable cliffhanger to close off a season, and prolonged protagonist cruelty towards an increasingly sympathetic Izzy at the start of a season.

(Because after all, we've spent a year or more waiting to hang out with these characters again and there's only 8 episodes - we're not sitting there going, 'I can't wait to see the depths of Blackbeard's descent into madness play out in full', we're thinking, 'I can't wait to see the love story get back on track'.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

grobbo posted:

a character being comically pushed in the water as an easily-escapable cliffhanger to close off a season,

I never read this as comical.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

The official Max twitter account has been posting about OFMD and spoiling their own loving show for some reason?! In the most recent tweet they posted a clip of Izzy’s death scene. like WHY

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I enjoyed all of it. It was rushed through, yes, but it was a lot of fun. If it comes back, I'll definitely be there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If we do get a season 3 the inn is definitely going to have an attached Bar & Grill and Delicacies and Delights and Fishing Equipment, right

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 2, 2023

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

it’s either going to be that or 18th century groverhaus since neither of them can repair things worth poo poo, probably

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

it’s either going to be that or 18th century groverhaus since neither of them can repair things worth poo poo, probably

Kinda a pity they didn't get to keep any loot.

Ed's probably a decent carpenter, you have to be when you're a seaman on a ye olde wooden ship. Stede can be on decorating duty.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 2, 2023

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Kinda a pity they didn't get to keep any loot.

Ed's probably a decent carpenter, you have to be when you're a seaman on a ye olde wooden ship. Stede can be on decorating duty.

Ok fine, Ed has to spend a huge amount of time repairing things Stede helpfully “fixed” but if they build anything new? that’s when you get the load-bearing marmalade

actually how long should we keep spoilering things? (excepting if anyone comes into the thread like “hey i just started watching this i guess) i think it’s like a week in other places?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rules say the day after you can stop spoilering. It's been a week, I think we're good.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Watched the S2 finale again and I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't just that they decided to make sure things were wrapped things up neatly, but maybe they'd originally planned to have a full-blown cliffhanger (say with everyone captured by the British and Ed, Stede and Zheng having gotten together and are setting off to get them back, maybe?) and renewal was looking unlikely enough they had to squash the entire conclusion in. That one episode is so rushed it feels tonally dissonant to the rest of the show.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 2, 2023

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I loved series 1 but even the first episode of this one has left me cold. I feel like I don't remember enough of the feelings the first one left me with to make this work?
I'm not sure why

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
The lack of interesting stories for the supporting cast was a real disappointment this season. Jim was one of my favorites and they didn't do much of anything this time around.

The shortened season and spending so much time focusing on Blackbeard really left me disappointed.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

I liked the first 3 episodes and the Calypso's Birthday one (ep6?). There are a few other things here and there I liked but overall it just suffers so much from the shortened season length. Like I think if you don't have time to do everything in the amount of time you have you probably shouldn't attempt it!

also I keep thinking about Izzy telling Ed that the crew loves him. they absolutely do not!! Just remembering Fang telling Ed about how scared he was of him made me so sad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In my opinion season 2 was all perfectly great through episode 6, although it could've used another antics episode between 5 and 6 that smoothed out the evolution of attitudes between everyone and Ed. That would've some room for supporting crew stories too.

Episode 1 isn't that lovable in terms of the people due to everyone being in a nasty situation, but that gets handled better after that as things get addressed or even at least better acknowledged.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 5, 2023

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?

I liked the first 3 episodes and the Calypso's Birthday one (ep6?). There are a few other things here and there I liked but overall it just suffers so much from the shortened season length. Like I think if you don't have time to do everything in the amount of time you have you probably shouldn't attempt it!

also I keep thinking about Izzy telling Ed that the crew loves him. they absolutely do not!! Just remembering Fang telling Ed about how scared he was of him made me so sad.

I loved S1 enough to engage with a lot of fan accounts on twitter for the art and fic so I'm still seeing a LOT about this show despite being so hurt by S2 that I tried to forget it even existed so ~BACK to yell for a minute as an Izzy enjoyer and person who now regrets having recced this show to everyone after season 1:

I'm still heartbroken about Izzy being gone and on that horrible rushed sour note. 'He was a loving nightmare' is so needlessly cruel. A wedding 20 minutes later on the spot he bled out is insane. WHY DID THEY BURY HIM ON SOME lovely ISLAND WHEN A FINGER AND A BIRD GOT SEA BURIALS? Why did his prosthetic wind up being a GRAVE MARKER and not BURIED WITH HIM AS PART OF HIS BODY AFTER HE EMBRACED IT?

re: "they absolutely do not' -- Did anyone from the crew but Stede even speak to Ed between the fishing trip with Fang and the end? It wasn't like they were ever again on decent terms with him, he was just kind of there because he's Stede's beau. They did an uneasy truce thing (what did Archie say? something about how they just get away with it and everyone else ~moves on?) but they weren't making him gifts or welcoming him back into their found family with an inclusive nickname like they were Izzy.

My bestie I watched with said post finale 'Izzy's not the type to cry for himself and he sees a lot of himself in Ed because they're so linked, maybe he was projecting in that moment and comforting himself as he died that he was loved?' which is the only reading that's even remotely charitable imo. I truly don't think the writing was trying to imply that though.

How did we end up in a place where the main character of a show that used to be a silly romcom with cartoon violence canonically mutilated his long-suffering wife whom he then drove to a suicide attempt, tried to kill everyone multiple times, made everyone afraid of him, and WE'RE STILL EXPECTED TO ROOT FOR HIM GETTING TOGETHER WITH THE GUY WHO SHRUGGED OFF ALL HIS HORRIFIC ACTIONS? He did literally nothing to redeem himself, he just Got Redeemed because he stopped doing lovely things for a while. Why the gently caress should I care that he and Stede are going to go do murder hut together? Ed'll get bored and start cutting off his toes or leave again next week.

I'm also, to a much lesser degree, salty that they introduced a cool villain with a weird gimmick and then immediately killed him? Ned was interesting.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

100% agreed to all of this, especially the Ned Low part. I’m wondering now if we know/follow some of the same people on twitter i’m in the izzy enjoyer section of the fandom

also i know they might not have been able to afford Ned Low’s actor for more than one episode but GOD HE WAS SO WEIRD AND RULED SO HARD. a tragedy

edit: i know i’ve already mentioned this as well but it cannot be stressed enough how hosed up this is:

Giga Pet giveaway posted:

I'm still heartbroken about Izzy being gone and on that horrible rushed sour note. 'He was a loving nightmare' is so needlessly cruel. A wedding 20 minutes later on the spot he bled out is insane. WHY DID THEY BURY HIM ON SOME lovely ISLAND WHEN A FINGER AND A BIRD GOT SEA BURIALS? Why did his prosthetic wind up being a GRAVE MARKER and not BURIED WITH HIM AS PART OF HIS BODY AFTER HE EMBRACED IT?

edit 2: And another thing!!! i know that some people’s responses to criticisms like this will be something along the lines of “relax, it’s just a comedy tv show”. but goddamn, they really dealt with some heavy topics this season. like the suicide attempts ALONE

HOLY FUCK fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 7, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

100% agreed to all of this, especially the Ned Low part. I’m wondering now if we know/follow some of the same people on twitter i’m in the izzy enjoyer section of the fandom

also i know they might not have been able to afford Ned Low’s actor for more than one episode but GOD HE WAS SO WEIRD AND RULED SO HARD. a tragedy

It was Bronson Pinchot, dude isn’t expensive to hire.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

given how much they probably had to slash the budget, who knows if they could’ve had him for longer :shrug: minnie driver probably cost them a bit but i could be wrong

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

When an actress like Minnie Driver shows up on a show like Our Flag Means Death I usually just assume they were fans and did it for scale.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

The_Doctor posted:

I always think of him as alternate universe Brent Spiner.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HD DAD posted:

I always think of him as alternate universe Brent Spiner.

I thought it was Brent Spiner at first, so you’re not alone.

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?

edit: i know i’ve already mentioned this as well but it cannot be stressed enough how hosed up this is:

edit 2: And another thing!!! i know that some people’s responses to criticisms like this will be something along the lines of “relax, it’s just a comedy tv show”. but goddamn, they really dealt with some heavy topics this season. like the suicide attempts ALONE

Canyonites forever. I'm just a lurker though, my only tangible fandom participation besides liking all the angry sad posts is having bought that fan zine that Kino cheated the charity out of $$ for, lmfao. That sure got dropped fast.

Is there any OFMD/Taskmaster crossover here? I just found out Paul Williams was one of the blue coats but idr where and I had to look it up to even recognize him.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

MikeJF posted:

When an actress like Minnie Driver shows up on a show like Our Flag Means Death I usually just assume they were fans and did it for scale.

She and Ed's old captain from episode 3 are both in Uproar with Rhys Darby, so I wonder if they did it to keep hanging with a coworker?

And yeah, I feel like Ned Low is a character you have menace the crew for at least a couple of episodes, but instead he got about as much screen time as The Swede.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I liked that's his demise was somewhat historicaly accurate. Accounts about his death varies, but all agree that his crew got tired of his behavior and kicked him out of the ship.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Just putting it out here early but if we ever get a season 3 I think that Buttons is going to rez Izzy with his witch powers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah but there'll be a crow that really likes pooping on Stede in particular.

I don't think they're going to take magic beyond the plausible deniability stage in this show.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's a WSJ article about the show: paywalled, but apparently S2 was a 40% budget cut on S1. And apparently thanks to good word of mouth in the time following S1's release, S2's release sustained quite a bit higher demand than S1 did, although of course it's streaming so there's no direct numbers.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Canyonites forever. I'm just a lurker though, my only tangible fandom participation besides liking all the angry sad posts is having bought that fan zine that Kino cheated the charity out of $$ for, lmfao. That sure got dropped fast.

Oh oof. I heard about that. gently caress Kino. At least the money eventually got donated (last I heard, anyway).

MikeJF posted:

There's a WSJ article about the show: paywalled, but apparently S2 was a 40% budget cut on S1. And apparently thanks to good word of mouth in the time following S1's release, S2's release sustained quite a bit higher demand than S1 did, although of course it's streaming so there's no direct numbers.

Yeah, I saw that this morning. Last I heard the Parrot Analytics (provides legit stats of show demand) numbers were still really good even after a small dip post-finale.

This seems to be a non-paywalled version of the WSJ article: The Secret To a Pirate Comedy’s Success? A Queer Love Story. Here are some relevant quotes:

quote:

During its second season, the show surpassed the peak of its season 1 demand, according to Parrot Analytics. Since the recent finale of season 2, demand has dipped but is still percolating at the same level the show had following its season 1 finale, and ranks within the top 1% of all television series tracked by Parrot.

quote:

Jenkins said he had slashed the budget for season 2 by 40%. Much of that cost cutting was achieved by moving the production from Los Angeles to New Zealand, where it benefited from tax credits and other savings, the producer said.

Though he declined to go into specifics about the show’s price tag, Jenkins said the revised and “more fiscally responsible” budget for the show put “Our Flag Means Death” in line with what a half-hour comedy should cost.

“The first season of the show was made in a different era from the second season,” Jenkins said, “and if there’s a third season of the show, it will be made in a still different era.”

“We’re all just trying to figure out how to make an over-produced pirate comedy an actual viable commercial enterprise.”

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sad thing is that the second season sucked because the core story decisions they made sucked. Budget tightening aside, there was plenty of neat sets and stuff in the season.

Money doesn't matter when you decide to do:

How did we end up in a place where the main character of a show that used to be a silly romcom with cartoon violence canonically mutilated his long-suffering wife whom he then drove to a suicide attempt, tried to kill everyone multiple times, made everyone afraid of him, and WE'RE STILL EXPECTED TO ROOT FOR HIM GETTING TOGETHER WITH THE GUY WHO SHRUGGED OFF ALL HIS HORRIFIC ACTIONS?

Maybe S3 will course correct somehow, but I'm not sure how they unfuck making their core protagonists this unlikable. If they were going for anti-heroes, yeah maybe, but that really betrays the 'pirates are people looking for freedom' theme of the first season that was so enjoyable.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, I still stand by that the core story decisions might have worked with more space to actually deal with things, and the episode order reduction was what killed it. And that's directly a budgetary thing.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 9, 2023

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Now that the SAG-AFTRA strike is over, the cast can post BTS stuff. I am currently obliterating my phone storage saving everything, here are a few that i’ve come across so far:

Vico Ortiz/Jim confirms that the glove Jim is wearing at the end of ep 8 is Izzy’s :smith:

https://vxtwitter.com/v_vico_ortiz/status/1722784465293091237

HOLY FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 10, 2023

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

I don’t think Samba Schutte/Roach has posted anything yet (he posts a BTS stuff and other content so we’re probably going to get a ton more soon.

i think Madeline Sami likes taking pictures, haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

ok i’m probably done after this

https://vxtwitter.com/ofmdcrew/status/1722809824105107852