Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The show does have Muppet Treasure Island vibes to a certain degree. Might be that they actually built the ships but greenscreened everything else giving it a similar sound-stage-y feel?

There's just enough magical realism in the show that I could honestly see a muppet showing up in an episode and it wouldn't be that distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

HOLY gently caress posted:

Ed's Izzy mutilation was worse than I even thought, I had assumed that the original wound got infected which necessitated the amputation of his leg, not that Ed continued to cut toes off every time he got angry and THEN shot him in the leg, leading to its removal. What the gently caress.

I know it's a conceit of the show that we're following pirates who commit lots of murder, but I do hope Izzy whacks of one of BB's legs. It's harder to feel great about BB getting his boy toy back given the mutilation and manipulation of the first two eps. Probably the point.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Izzy has a beautiful singing voice.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's a shame this show doesn't have the time to really enjoy the stage they've built. We finally got Stede and BB together and they immediately go back into drama about the speed of the relationship and such. Just give me a couple episodes of external drama where they're exploring cool islands but having fun together.

I suppose that's not the show they want to make, but the show is drifting into Bill Lawerence territory where every episode is a therapy session. That's fine, but it's hard to really enjoy a story where there's no load-bearing characters and none of the sets or events ultimately matter.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Mess of a season. Fun enough, but not particularly clever or as fresh as the first season felt.

Not that every death has to be something spectacular, but the mundane way in which Izzy is shot was bewildering. That's really what you're going to do with the guy after torturing him the first half of the season and faking out his death multiple times? And he's the only death?

As someone mentioned, having Blackbeard decide to go back to being a pirate, have his first mate say they're the good guys (they're not, we spent the first two episodes seeing them do horrible, evil things), and then decide to retire at the end was... nonsensical.

8 episodes wasn't enough for the story they told. There needed to be some downtime, or couple episodes where we just got to enjoy what the first season setup. How many episodes did the main crew spend in jail cells?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

HOLY gently caress posted:

also as an aside, O’Neill turned down the role of Bill in the Last of us for this :smith:

To be fair, Offerman did a really incredible job with that role too.

As the season's sat with me, I just fundamentally don't understand why they made Blackbeard that awful at the top of the season. I'm straight up not rooting for him and Stede anymore, because there was so little actual reconciliation done. Character change is cool and good, but I think they did it way too fast here, to the point that I don't know what the Blackbeard character actually is anymore.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sad thing is that the second season sucked because the core story decisions they made sucked. Budget tightening aside, there was plenty of neat sets and stuff in the season.

Money doesn't matter when you decide to do:

Giga Pet giveaway posted:

How did we end up in a place where the main character of a show that used to be a silly romcom with cartoon violence canonically mutilated his long-suffering wife whom he then drove to a suicide attempt, tried to kill everyone multiple times, made everyone afraid of him, and WE'RE STILL EXPECTED TO ROOT FOR HIM GETTING TOGETHER WITH THE GUY WHO SHRUGGED OFF ALL HIS HORRIFIC ACTIONS?

Maybe S3 will course correct somehow, but I'm not sure how they unfuck making their core protagonists this unlikable. If they were going for anti-heroes, yeah maybe, but that really betrays the 'pirates are people looking for freedom' theme of the first season that was so enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Season 2 blew and I thought a lot of the choices they made were bad. It was still nice that it tried to do so much. Took a lot of swings, a lot of which missed but always prefer that to not taking any.

Would have liked to see how they could right the ship in a season 3, but at the very least we'll always have the splendor that is season one.

And this show definitely succeeded in making pirates gay and that's great.