Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why doesn't this one have a subtitle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have glasses like that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

round or oval wire-rimmed glasses are back in style. square plastic frames are now super millennial and cheugy. all the k-pop stars are wearing delicate 90s inspired styles

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just google "BTS glasses" and you'll see it's all stuff like this:

We are solidly back in the 90s. All my students are wearing baggy sweatshirts, high waisted mom jeans, and wire rimmed glasses. They especially dislike skinny jeans and thick plastic nerd glasses as these are accoutrements of millennials.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

are my glasses cool y/n

Sort of. They're pretty dadly, so they're fine if you are going for that look. They are cooler than plastic "hipster glasses" for sure

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not particularly fun fact: if you look for glasses frames on Amazon and eBay, the wire aviator with clear lenses not unlike yours is now being sold as "Dahmer glasses," presumably because of the show that just came out. I hate it. I hate the idea that people watched it and thought "drat that guy looks good." I hate all media about serial killers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm stoked about the current fashion because it means I can be in style wearing elliptical gold glasses like my professional idol, Dr. Henry Jones Jr., Ph.D

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

these are 1996-era stebe glasses

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

can't help but think of boris from goldeneye

it's as though they were in style in the 90s!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well she was born on valentine's day

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I refuse to believe that boot cut jeans are coming back though

Update: one of my students today was wearing boot cut jeans exactly like the ones my first girlfriend had in 2001.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My favorite jeans at the time were a pair of pale wash Guess bootcuts. If only they hadn't eventually blown out in the crotch from overuse I could still rock them today

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

smh at calling them bootcut instead of bell bottoms

They're two different shapes. Bell bottoms flare wider and the flare starts lower down. Go look it up on Google images

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That was a joke? What part?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

as part of a recent assignment i requested that students come up with a list of ten possible topic ideas with certain specific characteristics, as you do for college assignments.

today in class i saw a student had typed the exact prompt into chatgpt and was reformatting the results slightly as he pasted them into his submission.

i didn't even say anything because i truly did not know how to respond. what he was doing feels absolutely wrong, but i can't exactly elucidate why.

is it plagiarism? yes, literally, because chatgpt steals everything from internet posts and can't generate anything that someone has never posted on reddit. no, literally, because it isn't a direct replication, but a rewording of other people's ideas. if you read other people's ideas and synthesize them yourself, that's just how learning works at certain stages. so there's nothing specifically wrong with that concept. but the act of absorbing, analyzing, synthesizing is how brains develop. so if you let a machine do it for you, is that cheating? is it just cheating yourself, or is it academically dishonest?

back in the day you had to go to a library and read books yourself for relevant information. now you can do a full text search for keywords in seconds. i am pretty sure that significantly reduces the value you get from the book, but is it cheating? obviously academia has decided that it is not. is chatgpt just an evolution of a search engine?

how much of your own human-powered synthesis and data processing is required to call something your own unique work, and how much can you pass off to a machine?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 22, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

it is reasonable to treat things that seem to be intelligences as intelligences.

no it isn't. people are broadly credulous and superstitious, and they have a natural tendency to anthropomorphize everything, and they can be fooled by incredibly dumb tricks.

tons of people think that teslas are intelligent. ELIZA can still convince some people that it's human. "people think this is an intelligence" is the worst possible metric

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no. "do people generally consider this thing to be a human intelligence" is a stupid metric. humans think all kinds of things are smart when they are not (computers, pets, elon musk) and ascribe human behaviors to inanimate objects that can never have them all the time because that is how humans understand the world.

yes i am aware of the epistemological argument, brain in a jar, p-zombies, blah blah. those are irrelevant. this is a pragmatic question of whether a specific system is a suitable replacement for a human intelligence in specific situations, not whether we will hypothetically someday come up with a system that does fool everyone in every situation, or whether something counts as smart because stupid people think it is.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you can see a metal barrel sticking out. i'd imagine they are basically just printed plastic housings over real gun parts.

since it is a guerilla group, perhaps the intention of the wild colors is subterfuge or smuggling

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tng type 2 phaser

bang bang

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The milkshake duck tweet is evergreen

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've got a couple of guns right here.

*flexes*

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dioxazine posted:

i wish i had skin like that

You too can wear makeup and use the Snapchat filters

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and yet they couldn't foresee children playing with anything more complicated than sand.

like don't get me wrong, sand is awesome, but i live half a mile from the beach and i have noticed there's a lot more kids playing with television phones than with sand

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 1, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's a dumb poo poo idea especially now that everyone has their phone basically grafted to their hand 24/7 anyway

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

RokosCockatrice posted:

If you happen to catch someone using apple pay, it's not smug, but there's this self-affectionate look that crosses their face, as if they really do like being part of the new, cultured civilization that is above using bills or cards.

lol for real?

maybe it's because i have a shameful prole android instead of a lavish elitist iphone but i pay with my phone all the time and neither i nor the clerk appear to give two shits either way. who gives a gently caress how you pay for things

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i figure they must have thought of that, right? either the lower screen is required to operate the tv somehow, or it has a light sensor that means it can't be covered up, or the ads play sounds too, or something.

or perhaps they just didn't think of it and this is an idea on par with whatever company it was that was just giving away free movie tickets with no other apparent business model

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

isn't a cheap 4k tv like sub 300 bucks now anyway

and you know this is the cheapest poo poo panel they could find, since they're taking a loss on it up front

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"What pretty red lights on that pole," the driver thinks to himself, as he goes sailing through the intersection with the horn blaring

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

99% of people running red lights are doing it intentionally. brighter lights won't help

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ADINSX posted:

We already have the opening credit sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbWUhUYBTqI

I love that this is still up after all these years.

If any of you goons work for YouTube DON'T gently caress THIS UP

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so is she some kind of human-weasel hybrid or

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

we, i'm told

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

are we talking about electroboom or photonicinduction

lol exactly the post i was gonna make

e: just about the browning out the neighborhood part

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

deus necks: toomany revolutions

lorf

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rip crusader. i hope he's hacking ice and wasting corpos in digital heaven

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well that's rad as hell

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I saw another one of those recently where the guy put in an actual flashlight LED with a spotlight lens and everything.

Canonically this is how the light augmentation works in Deus Ex

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

he eats it like a cookie.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

minority report was lexus. the will smith i robot had audi

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

ok you're just looking these up now

the virgin Wikipedia user Vs the chad freestyle post-truth fact poster