Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

HamAdams posted:

chat with cyberhunks in your area

what else have i been doing on this forum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the 2077 themed tag was from 2017, when it was announced

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

seriously, it's hard to believe we've had these tags for six years already

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

been looking at this thing for five minutes now and i still have absolutely no idea how it works. drone guillotine? oversized cyberpunk flyswatter? some electronic jamming thing?

it's an RF jammer, the cone looking thing is a waveguide the rest of it is half tactilol half to make it aimable

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

tag me but only if you can do so without loving up my current setup

also missed opportunity for `Cyberpunk 2023 And Me` but all good

tag jonny but only if doing so will leave a mess of broken tags in his custom title

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it was the best one by far, imo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

horrifying bug eyed little freaks.

i have a kinship with them

they'll be back, eventually

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that was great. an artifact of the glassholes thread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tmesis posted:

minidisc in the dash, or use the aux cable to plug in your ATRAC player

the higher trim levels have a toslink connector

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

god when i got my big LG OLED, i treated that thing like it was a nuclear warhead or something. i was so scared of dropping or breaking it. they're Too Thin

putting my cx on my desk was so awkward because while it weighs almost nothing, it also feels like you could snap the screen just by holding it wrong

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Just show him the namshub of enki

loving gargoyles

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you remember in mona lisa overdrive when the finn is a rom construct and basically wants to be destroyed?

just like that, but it's nonna

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

i was trying to look up comparisons on video compression a few weeks ago and it was an exercise in frustration because every site was ML soup descriptions of the formats, then a plug for an overpriced and incredibly generic ui slapped on what was presumably ffmpeg

it's always ffmpeg

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

ddg kinda started to crush it by not being as well-tuned/gamable, as well as having bang shortcuts to outright redirect and search on various sites instead of coaxing google into doing it for you

ddg has a habit of aging out relevant search results though, meaning just because you could find something yesterday with a specific search string, doesn't mean you'll find it today.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i would charge 2x more for that. if you want chatgpt output, use chatgpt output. if chatgpt output doesn't actually meet your needs, then you are going to pay for my time regardless

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's almost mind boggling the transcoding/resizing stuff i can do from the command line with a prebuilt windows binary, which is 99% of the things i need to do with video in general.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i have an analogue video mixer for those

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ask your parents

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

distortion park posted:

my resting face is very grumpy and I can't really smile well, everyone thinks I hate them (it's true but that's not the point)

the system is working as intended

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sounds a lot like a product that has no reason to exist, and an attractive nuisance at best

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

its an extreme sport, like BASE jumping or running with teh bulls at pamplona.

sometimes you get gored, sometimes the gore gets you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

buddy, you really don't want to see what people are doing with this poo poo.

just take your pg-13 debbie harry and be happy with it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

i guess. i mostly just wanted to make the joke about a lunch date with megan traynor.

i don't know who that is, but i'm sure it's a good line

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

breaking: chatgpt doesn't actually understand the question being asked in any meaningful way but it has been programmed consistently enough to reject your stupid loving premise

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

in this context "recall" means "software update to disable rolling stops"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

into a highway gore, given enough time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

he's gotta do it like he's gotta breathe

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

i'm coming off far more abrasive than i really intend to here i think - apologies for that. i'm trying to say this as friendly joshing and think i might be fuckin it up

why do you hate sagebrush so bad?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they fell down a well, actually

right in front of his eyes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

nice hat

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it was never going to look good because you don't live in a japanese cartoon, but you are the target market

just keep it on a shelf to admire and crack it out for halloween or comicon

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i mean, i do need new shirts anyway since the holes in most of mine are getting too big even for me

same

the real cyberpunk is the decay of basic human necessities while being surrounded by an incredible wealth of technology

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wow, incredible, sydney uncovered a murderer!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

either way, you should punish them arbitrarily

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Jabor posted:

you might find this take from a fellow educator interesting: https://acoup.blog/2023/02/17/collections-on-chatgpt/

the author, despite (or perhaps because of?) being in classics rather than a tech-adjacent field, seems to have a much better idea of what chatgpt is actually capable of than most people i've seen talking about it

this is good

quote:

It is not, as we do, storing definitions or associations between those words and their real world referents, nor is it storing a perfect copy of the training material for future reference. ChatGPT does not sit atop a great library it can peer through at will; it has read every book in the library once and distilled the statistical relationships between the words in that library and then burned the library.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

the gently caress around and find out model works as well today as it did for Plato

teaching the classics

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this is something i would like to share with a client who's pretty insistent that chatgpt is a useful tool for summarizing and extracting information, unfortunately it's fairly long and best case scenario he'd probably try to get an executive summary from chatgpt

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

haveblue posted:

his point is that when you read harry potter you associated the concepts of wizard and broom while chatgpt just associated the words "wizard" and "broom". to chatgpt they are not symbols, they are atomic elements that tend to occur in certain arrangements. if I wrote that harry is a hgkjrhasful who rides an ahjwtqy, a human reader would immediately choke on it, at the very least because those terms are not defined elsewhere in the work and more likely because it's obvious I'm just banging on the keyboard. the statistical model underlying chatgpt cannot reject inputs on this sort of basis and that's a difference between the kinds of information processing it and real students do according to this piece. it will happily internalize the garbage and write you a whole new story about the magical adventures the hgkjrhasfuls have with their ahjwtqys even if neither of those are defined anywhere in the entire text of Harry Potter and the Ffgadjghkan Jcoqsklhabdfkjczkns

this is very important because it's fundamental to what LLMs "know". what they know is the statistical correlation of words with each other. they do not know the meanings of words, nor do they have any concept of meaning, or even words, really. this is why, as deveraux notes, at length, they cannot write an essay well. they can only regurgitate things that have been written elsewhere based on a naive statistical correlation between words in those texts. if the words in the text say opposite things using similar terms, it will blithely mash them together into a grammatically correct sentence that makes no logical sense.

RokosCockatrice posted:

If chatgpt's essays didn't suck, they would be an invaluable resource for learning about a subject and its related fields, and as a source for your own process of synthesizing ideas and trying to communicate them.

how? can you explain the mechanism or process by which using chatgpt to create an essay (of any quality) could improve the user's grasp of the subject?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 23, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

evidently knowledge is impossible, or at least meaningless, which conveniently makes this a very short discussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

RokosCockatrice posted:

That's not right, chatgpt and all large language models see plenty of gibberish and tune the conceptual value of this gibberish to zero during the learning process (rejecting it).

You can say that chatgpt doesn't understand "concepts" and it only works with "words", but it's not clear that concepts and the statistical interrelation of words (and more exactly, the structured, statistically weighted connections between words, phrases, sentences, and groups of sentences) is fundamentally different than a concept. To go further than harry potter, I can tell you about zorblots being bigger than zangos, and you only need words to form these concepts of two things that don't exist. There are no pictures, but does that mean blind people can't have concepts? Obviously you don't need to directly experience things to have a concept of them, as zorblots don't exist, so that can't be the reason why relations between words and concepts are different.

explicitly using it as input to your own research and synthesizing processes. This is something that seems obvious to me (so it's probably wrong), but if chatgpt was less full of poo poo (i.e. more than 90% right on factual issues), writing an on why everything is called postmodernism would be aided by asking chatgpt to write essays on A) what it thinks the answer to this questions is B) what the extent of things called postmodernism is C) What the history of these things are and why they took on this nomenclature etc etc. Using these as summaries to work from for your own research, and then dissecting it to build your own arguments, I think this would make your own work better.

did you write this post using chatgpt? be honest now