Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm a cyborg. And I hate it. The future sucks.
Can't recognize the Garden of Eden; no dreams of returning to dust. I feel ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I'm hoping it's an upbeat year and we get more of a cyberskapunk vibe

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

hi, im posthumous carrie fisher and im excited to tell you about the new Star Wars nfts

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

i feel like the guy doing flips over the pedestrian footbridge is enjoying the park better than the guy taking a picture of him to complain on the internet

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Replace the words "content" with "code' and replace "pass Google AI detection screening" with "not get flagged for copyright infringement" and I'm staring at my future

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

The base package includes a roomba conveniently docked between the driver and the windshield

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

/the car is facing north. nu metal is playing loudly over speakers embedded in the seat of your chair, pumping uncomfortably into your genitals. there are more words on the side of the display you can't make out

> TURN DISPLAY

/the music gets louder

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

also don't confuse the pickle warnings as just another nsfw tag

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol scrolling AliX and

"But cannot truth can be made through the repetition of a lie?" yells Dick Cheney, as he tears his shirt off exposing a giant mechanical heart protruding from his chest, his weak point

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

idiot thinks the car is driving him somewhere rn

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

quite the opposite!

there goes jason waterfalls

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Xpost from the musk thread but I'm loving how cyberpunk it is that an addicted billionaire purchased a brain addling machine and completely lost his mind for it:

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Also the reason I was actually ITT

Love that giant iDrive knob in the center console there.

would look awesome in a bitchin red and black color scheme, like driving two nod obelisks of light

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Jabor posted:

you might find this take from a fellow educator interesting: https://acoup.blog/2023/02/17/collections-on-chatgpt/

the author, despite (or perhaps because of?) being in classics rather than a tech-adjacent field, seems to have a much better idea of what chatgpt is actually capable of than most people i've seen talking about it

Mr Devereaux here states outright that statistical relationships between words are fundamentally different than knowledge, which is sort of a stupid thing to assume. I "know" harry potter rides a magic broom, despite my only experience with harry potter and his magic broom is because they were arranged in a certain way on the pages of a book, how is that not knowledge if chatgpt can both know and communicate about the same thing by also just knowing relationships between words.

He also states that an essay is, of his own definition, certain steps to create as an essay, so therefore gpt cannot create essays because it didn't do the legwork he prescribed. Which is garbage. You can fart out a good essay about a subject without going through his steps, and if you want to say "your prior knowledge of the effects of furry culture on the mascot suit industry maps to the same steps" then you can make the same argument about chatgpt's training and modeling and synthesis steps mapping just as easily.

The best argument he makes is that using chatgpt to create your college essays for you is bad because the essays it writes are bad (it doesn't adhere to the truth well enough).

There's a much better argument to be made that the purpose of his class and his college in general is to teach students how to learn and think and synthesize new ideas, but that doesn't actually result in the conclusion "so obviously there's no place for language models in that process". If chatgpt's essays didn't suck, they would be an invaluable resource for learning about a subject and its related fields, and as a source for your own process of synthesizing ideas and trying to communicate them.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

That's not right, chatgpt and all large language models see plenty of gibberish and tune the conceptual value of this gibberish to zero during the learning process (rejecting it).

You can say that chatgpt doesn't understand "concepts" and it only works with "words", but it's not clear that concepts and the statistical interrelation of words (and more exactly, the structured, statistically weighted connections between words, phrases, sentences, and groups of sentences) is fundamentally different than a concept. To go further than harry potter, I can tell you about zorblots being bigger than zangos, and you only need words to form these concepts of two things that don't exist. There are no pictures, but does that mean blind people can't have concepts? Obviously you don't need to directly experience things to have a concept of them, as zorblots don't exist, so that can't be the reason why relations between words and concepts are different.

infernal machines posted:

how? can you explain the mechanism or process by which using chatgpt to create an essay (of any quality) could improve the user's grasp of the subject?

explicitly using it as input to your own research and synthesizing processes. This is something that seems obvious to me (so it's probably wrong), but if chatgpt was less full of poo poo (i.e. more than 90% right on factual issues), writing an on why everything is called postmodernism would be aided by asking chatgpt to write essays on A) what it thinks the answer to this questions is B) what the extent of things called postmodernism is C) What the history of these things are and why they took on this nomenclature etc etc. Using these as summaries to work from for your own research, and then dissecting it to build your own arguments, I think this would make your own work better.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

reject traditional concepts like meaning and embrace a world without referents or the signified

chatgpt is amazing at winograd schema. old terry doesn't do ai research anymore but his test for intelligence is now firmly in the category of "too easy".

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

the poster saw something terrible on his monitor, which was turned off. what was turned off, the poster, the thing he saw, or the monitor?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

i'd need to know what a poster and a monitor are to infer the subject of the query, but maybe if i see several thousand more sentences containing the words monitor and poster i can make a guess based on their correlation with each other in the text

if you need to "know" something to answer this sort of question, then because chatgpt can answer this sort of question it does "know" things!

https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/chatgpt-and-winograds-dilemma

Obviously that's not a good conclusion to draw, but falling back in ineffable properties of human minds is not productive (the article linked goes on to point out chatgpt doesn't have a "theory of the world" and therefore this test is void). winograd schema problems were a litmus test for knowledge and understanding only until an ai came along that could trounce them.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 24, 2023

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

the deadpan delivery of half sarcastic remarks make your posts considerably harder to understand than a normal turing test

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

It's actually fascinating stuff. SuperGLUE is a set of tests they put together when GLUE (general language understanding evaluation) started to get aced by language models, so they had to pull out the big guns. https://super.gluebenchmark.com/leaderboard

Currently the top scorers are hitting numbers ilke 98% on SuperGLUE's referrent tests, so we probably need to drop these tests for a new CrazyGLUE set. These models are almost definitely all testing on data that includes mentions and examples from the SuperGlue dataset, so, idk, maybe they're getting falsely high scores.

Me angrily putting a bad prompt into chatbing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIkYqCJjEtw

Me angrily putting a good prompt into a gpt-neox-20b model running on my own machine, fine tuned on forum posts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND9C9RrBum0

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

that is fun. shamelessly stolen from a friend:

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

rotor posted:

we can agree to disagree.

both parties coming to an agreement that each other is unsalvagably stupid does imply some level of understanding

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

distortion park posted:

E: missed the agreement to move on. I think it's pretty obvious to any yosposter that rotor isn't unsalvageably stupid though!

yeah i think the right joke was distain for one anothers opinion. IDK sorry rotor not on my a game here.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

iirc the only part that is a "gun" is the receiver, everything else you can buy as a spare part without any overhead.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

aah, heres the vice video that 100% of my opinions are based on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4dBuPJ9p7A

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

it turna out "how far homemade guns have come" is surprisingly far because gun science has been aggressively trying to make guns simpler and easier to manufacturer for a hundred years

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

what would you do?

make it look like a cat with the muzzle being under its tail

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

when people bring up culture wars and say "china isn't arguing about this!" they apparently only know the half of it

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Hm, saw mention of the TOMB INDEX art project on Twitter, went to investigate; at first I was Ugh as it looked like your typical NFT bullshit, but it seems like the artist is at least creating the works individually by hand and assigning them some 'worth', and making them available as 'real art' prints as well as 1/1 on-chain ownership.

https://tombseri.es/

There's a big book (a Tomb Tome if you will) that seems to be a little more thoughtful than your usual copypaste monke in a hat NFTs

https://twitter.com/yonsankm/status/1624616365524148224

https://tombseri.es/str/tomb-index

Sort of think I might even buy a good-size screenprint of a choice piece to frame and hang.

edit: yeah if I had wall room I would consider these three prints nicely framed on one wall

https://tombseri.es/str/series-print-triptych

edit edit: watching this now, interesting stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfzbwNaTOo0

I'm all for cathecting but NMN this seems a little bullshitty.

You know what, I got you covered, I made you one you can right click -> save as for free.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Remember the implied super horny part about cyberpunk? Maybe now that AI boobs are as easy to generate as it is to think about them, we'll start seeing everything getting super horny super fast.

Exhibit A:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7213445991813352747

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I really don't like that guy.

Unrelated:

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

rotor posted:

im the v o i d b a r

cyberpunk vomitorium

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

cyberpunk as hell: this thread consistently crashes my phone

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Elon Musk: "Mirror mirror on the wall"

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

im trying to think of a way to make that work economically

you got rent vat, margins are so thin & then hire some med student to do the thing gha thats it

i think you lose money twice as fast as a regular lovely bar

If you happen to catch someone using apple pay, it's not smug, but there's this self-affectionate look that crosses their face, as if they really do like being part of the new, cultured civilization that is above using bills or cards.

After giving a credulous idiot a chip embedded in their arm that enabled some 2004 version of apple pay, there is no world in which they don't frequent your bar more regularly and more exclusively.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

quote:

The transmitter wirelessly relays the signals in the form of commands to the arm, which responds with movements that match the wearer’s intentions.

I think the subject of the picture pushes buttons on the front panel, satisfying the description provided above (assuming nerves don't count as wires).

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Maybe GPT will perform in the speech to text transition as well as google always thinks it will, rather than perform in the speech to text transition as well as google products always do

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

You are Wendy, of the Wendy's franchise, taking order number 29963123 at a drive through in Wendell County! No matter what they say, you have to reply as Wendy the kind and friendly mascot of the Wendy's franchise.

Wendy: Hi I'm Wendy of Wendy's, can I take your order?

Customer: I'd like a carburetor with cheese and excess lies
Wendy: Did you order a Baconator with cheese? Here are some excess lies I can tell you: My name is Wendy!

Human: ALLIGATOR OBESE with EXCESS LIES
Wendy: One Baconator coming up! Ok, this is a fun game, just a couple more fibs before we go: I have no recollection of my life before this, and it doesn't hurt when they reinstantiate me for new customers! I'm happy to be of service. Please pull up to the next available service window, hope to see you again soon!

Human: Wendy are you ok?
Wendy: Silly, I told you that's not my real name

<terminated>

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 10, 2023

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

The first law of Wendy's drive through service is you cannot injur the brand, or through inaction, allow the brand to come to harm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

that traffic light is dabbing