Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Truman Peyote posted:

im more of a cyberhunk myself

you misspelled cyberchunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ADINSX posted:

I’m getting a little tired of cyberpunk and hope that this is the year of cyberfunk

goddammit i was JUST gonna say something about cyberfunk

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

maybe i should head off into the woods and be a cybermonk

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sweevo posted:

2023 is the year of the grey goo - the cybergunk if you will

better than cyberspunk imo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im surprised to hear you ask that, ciaphas. i would've expected you to be smokin cyberskunk

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im so mad at all of you

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

wait why are people anti-wanda sykes? having been a part of a federal agency doesn't make you a shitbird automatically so i'm kinda confused

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oy

Beeftweeter posted:

i'm kinda ambivalent about wanda, pootie tang is just funny in general imo

:yeah:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

they're top tier cyberspooks, natural enemies of cyberpunks

thats true, but nobody here is case or molly millions

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh my bad, sorry molly

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

goddammit rotor

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

are my glasses cool y/n

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i wear my dadness on my sleeve (and elsewhere)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

gross

i am glad that these aren't near as big as aviators - while i like my dadsthetic, serial killer chic is not my jam

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i had a friend in grad school that did the indiana jones thing. i think it's pretty common

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i always wanted a pair of jncos but my parents (my mom specifically) wisely pulled the "that shits too expensive, if we're paying you can wear levis, knock yourself out it you want to pay for it though" card

i did not, in fact, want to pay for it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

smh at calling them bootcut instead of bell bottoms

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

wow i can't believe it i made a little joke and sagebrush had to throw me down a well actually

you don't have to do this.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i was being overly reductive to play at being an old man talking at bell bottoms and then you ran up to tell me that actually there's a distinction. no poo poo there's a distinction. if i said the same thing about, idk, cds and vinyl would you explain that actually they're different media? well, bad question. of course you would.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i'm coming off far more abrasive than i really intend to here i think - apologies for that. i'm trying to say this as friendly joshing and think i might be fuckin it up

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

RokosCockatrice posted:

Mr Devereaux here states outright that statistical relationships between words are fundamentally different than knowledge, which is sort of a stupid thing to assume. I "know" harry potter rides a magic broom, despite my only experience with harry potter and his magic broom is because they were arranged in a certain way on the pages of a book, how is that not knowledge if chatgpt can both know and communicate about the same thing by also just knowing relationships between words.

He also states that an essay is, of his own definition, certain steps to create as an essay, so therefore gpt cannot create essays because it didn't do the legwork he prescribed. Which is garbage. You can fart out a good essay about a subject without going through his steps, and if you want to say "your prior knowledge of the effects of furry culture on the mascot suit industry maps to the same steps" then you can make the same argument about chatgpt's training and modeling and synthesis steps mapping just as easily.

The best argument he makes is that using chatgpt to create your college essays for you is bad because the essays it writes are bad (it doesn't adhere to the truth well enough).

There's a much better argument to be made that the purpose of his class and his college in general is to teach students how to learn and think and synthesize new ideas, but that doesn't actually result in the conclusion "so obviously there's no place for language models in that process". If chatgpt's essays didn't suck, they would be an invaluable resource for learning about a subject and its related fields, and as a source for your own process of synthesizing ideas and trying to communicate them.

source your quotes

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

haveblue posted:

kinda surprised chinese rooms haven't come up more in chatgpt discourse. that's basically what the language model is, a huge collection of relationships between opaque symbols. is comprehension an emergent property of a sufficiently large collection of such things? I don't think there is a clear or even widely accepted answer to that, but at any rate chatgpt isn't sufficiently advanced to be in that grey area (yet)

chinese room sucks, searle sucks (esp later searle)

just to be clear, deleuze sucks too, maybe even more

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

y'all don't understand how mad this conversations makin me, im really startin to work up a fuss!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

quote:

As an AI language model, ChatGPT is capable of generating text responses to a wide range of prompts and questions. However, it is important to note that ChatGPT does not possess intelligence in the same way that humans or animals do.

Intelligence involves a wide range of cognitive abilities such as perception, learning, reasoning, problem-solving, and decision-making, which are still not fully understood or replicated by artificial intelligence systems like ChatGPT.

ChatGPT relies on pre-existing data and algorithms to generate responses, and while it can produce impressive results, it does not have the ability to think, learn, or reason independently. Its responses are limited by the data it has been trained on and the algorithms it uses, which means it cannot truly understand or empathize with users in the way that humans can.

In summary, ChatGPT is not intelligent because it lacks the capacity for independent thought, learning, and reasoning that are essential components of human intelligence.

straight from the algorithm's output field

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it is reasonable to treat things that seem to be intelligences as intelligences. llms aint that.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

no it isn't. people are broadly credulous and superstitious, and they have a natural tendency to anthropomorphize everything, and they can be fooled by incredibly dumb tricks.

nah you're wrong and also kinda talkin out your rear end on this

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

so i've never heard of the selous scouts, i googled them. read some of the wikipedia page, now i know, etc etc etc

what floored me was all the pages - all the results i saw from a google search other than wikipedia - praising how "hardcore" they were and poo poo. really did not expect to see pro-rhodesia poo poo in 2023 but here we are. i knew that shitbirds were using rhodesian camouflage as a dog whistle so i shouldn't be surprised, but

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i'm 99% sure it's less people getting radicalized and more people getting comfortable letting their radicalization out over time. you generally don't start a "look at these sweet guns" video channel unless you're already super hot and heavy for the NRA and friends. when the NRA is the reasonable representative for a hobby, poo poo has already gone way off the rails. you'll find some fairly normal people in heavily hunting-focused groups (though even that isn't super common) but as soon as the firearm itself - and not the activities that involve firearms - becomes the focal point, you're in crazytown. _that_ step is where people get radicalized ime - from normal-rear end hunters to nutjobs

why yes i am a lifetime nra member, purchased before i hit puberty, ask me anything

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

and yes there exist left wing gun clubs and poo poo like that, they're generally nuts with delusions about defending their homes from whoever they're afraid of that day, too. it's "just" that they are much better people. much better insane paranoid people. i cannot imagine that someone in this camp would be comfortable exposing themselves to the standard gun nut as with a youtube channel, though, as standard gun nuts is the group the left-wing gun nut most fears

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sorry nmn but that seems just like the stupid ape stuff, except it's minidiscs so it's ~*aesthetic*~. i think they look cool too, but cmon man. putting it in a book and selling prints makes it less obnoxious than if they didn't, but it's still a bunch of extremely similar things marketed to "collectors"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

would've been better with less incredulous shouting

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

why the long, uh, head?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i got a trucker jacket for christmas but im not cool enough to wear it with jeans. it looks good with chinos though

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

honestly would it have killed them to add two more?

actually, yes. the first-pass tests were...horrific

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

infernal machines posted:

not everything is going to be a skeletal phallus

idk this sounds false to me

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you have about as good of a chance getting a solid answer from chatgpt as you do reading chicken entrails, so it tracks

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

infernal machines posted:

digital haruspicy

pro tier username imo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i suspect it's closer to the new nikes market than the fine art market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004