Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wtf I don't think that's how it's supposed the increment

On the other hand I guess it will be nice to have oceanfront property

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

drat 2023 is looking pretty rad already

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess I'll take the tag too if they're being given out

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

it's an RF jammer, the cone looking thing is a waveguide the rest of it is half tactilol half to make it aimable
that's pretty cyberpunk wow

I don't feel good about thinking weapons look cool in general but I guess that's only semi-weapony so maybe it's okay

mystes
May 31, 2006

Things being unexpectedly fuzzy is surprisingly alarming

mystes
May 31, 2006

I hate it thanks

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sweevo posted:

can we just ban all this poo poo please
You're welcome to subscribe to Elevator Premium for $10/month and run a special elevator app on your phone 24/7 if you want to disable these features

mystes
May 31, 2006

is that an fpv drone thing? I don't think I've ever seen one using one outside

mystes
May 31, 2006

Aside from drones making kind of an annoying sound, I could care less whether people want to use them anyway, regardless of whether they're FPV or not

If you're going to use a drone to try to have fun exploring some sort of cool place it seems like it would actually make more sense to use an FPV headset anyway?

mystes
May 31, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

someone please get me that post about the foss tool with a weird name without which the internet would collapse. although ffmpeg bucks the trend by being maintained by not just one guy in czechia
Well it was originally by Fabrice Bellard but he somehow got other people to take it over instead of becoming the curl guy

mystes
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

HDMI-CEC has gone rampant
Hdmi-c&c

mystes
May 31, 2006

I hope it has hdcp support

mystes
May 31, 2006

wikpedia says

quote:

Inside of the car, the car was wrapped in a leather interior and there was a separate instrument cluster for the passenger shaped like a steering wheel displaying vital information about the car and containing damper controls and communication controls along with engine timing controls

mystes
May 31, 2006

lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

I read some sci-fi book probably like 22-24 years ago (I think it involved someone getting cryogenically frozen and woken up in the future but I can't remember) that had a part about someone painting, and it explained that they were just giving instructions to a computer about what to paint, and the computer was doing the actual physical painting because something like "it could do a much better job than the person could".

I found that really depressing at the time but was like "hey at least it won't happen in my lifetime", so it's wild that we're kind of there.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 1, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

That was a joke? What part?
I guess maybe the joke was supposed to be "bootcut is just a form of bell bottom"?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think we need to consult both the bell bottom alignment chart and the friendly joshing alignment chart before we jump to any hasty conclusions here

mystes
May 31, 2006

why do you hate sagebrush so bad?
His parents were brutally well actuallied to death when he was a child

mystes
May 31, 2006

It seems like chatgpt isn't that impressive but we don't actually know how the human brain works so it's sort of hard to compare them in that sense. We're probably overestimated chatgpt but maybe we're overestimating the human brain too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Same but our "education" system

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

please pretend i put quote marks around the word "intelligence" every time i type

mystes
May 31, 2006

your inability to derive the meaning of the words i posted suggests that chatgpt is at least as capable of comprehension as you are, so point taken
huh?

mystes
May 31, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

Also important to note that the only thing that changed in the past few years is machine learning generated speech no longer sounding like it's being played back through a pc speaker.
Huh? Most of the people using ChatGPT aren't even using it with speech synthesis. The output may not be as as useful as people are saying but the reason people are interested in it is because the (text) output is vastly better than previous software. Saying that the only thing that has changed is that speech synthesis is better makes absolutely no sense.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think there's any way to know whether current machine learning stuff can (or maybe more accurately theoretically could if cpu speed was still doubling every 18 months) eventually lead to something like actual intelligence. I think that it most likely won't but I'm not convinced that anyone can guarantee that it won't or that it's really possible to know the answer at this point.

We don't understand how the brain works in the least so it's easy for us to imagine that there's all sorts of magic stuff going on in there, but honestly who the gently caress knows?

Maybe all you need is to slap on some sort of additional stuff on top of chatgpt, how the gently caress should I know.

That said I don't think the human race is ever going to be in a position to find out at this point.

endlessmonotony posted:

:wrong:

No, this was a part of AI research back then too.
So what? It didn't work at all then, and it's working better now. If AI didn't actually hit a wall during the ai winter like people thought then how can we actually know what its limits are?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fiddler crabs are the optimal architecture for power efficiency

mystes
May 31, 2006

the idea of the metaverse having accidentally turned into virtual daycare for facebook employees' children or something is kind of hilarious to me

mystes
May 31, 2006

It sounds like whoever wrote that might have confused two different things or something? I'm not sure where the "cellulose nanofibers" part came from.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/12/07/this-liquid-tree-in-belgrade-is-fighting-back-against-air-pollution

quote:

Belgrade has an innovative tool in the fight against dirty air - this so-called "liquid tree".

It's Serbia's first urban photo-bioreactor, a solution for tackling greenhouse gas emissions and improving air quality.

It contains six hundred litres of water and uses microalgae to bind carbon dioxide and produce pure oxygen through photosynthesis.

“The microalgae replaces two, 10-year-old trees or 200 square metres of lawn," said Dr Ivan Spasojevic, one of the authors of the project from the Institute for Multidisciplinary Research at the University of Belgrade.

"The system is the same because both trees and grass perform photosynthesis and bind carbon dioxide.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 29, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

After looking at a bunch of photos and a video, I think maybe the cut out text that says "LIQUID 3" is actually an opening to allow ventilation but I'm not 100% sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

The guy who sells potions in lut gholein?
Ask, and learn