Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Murdstone posted:

Don't worry, we still have Crankshaft, which now apparently also has all those FW characters.

So really, it's not so much that FW is over as TomBat has just condensed his two comic universes into a single strip.

E: Mostly I bitch about comics, but sometimes I make edits.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Crankshaft will crash the bus and have ghost adventures with cancerwife.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Happy New Year, thread! My heart is warmed that I was able to summarize my love of Boarding House so well as to enter the OP. I was posting Jucika last year and did two full loops, I'm thinking I'll resume it later this year. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all and I'm thrilled the likes of The Creeps have returned to help fill the gap.

For a genuine psychotic I love Sohn's style. Demons of Baseball is crazy as hell but it's the kind you can fall in love with. The art being outstanding and unique is great too. I think we're supposed to expect Copper's Wife/Planck's GF(I can't recall the last time she was addressed by name in strip!) to find that she has made a wrong choice and regrets it and goes back to Planck once he returns and shows off the true power of a DEMON OF BASEBALL!!! It's just really awkward since he vanished for extra years and she had a kid.

I dunno if anyone could actually like her do-nothing character very much but this is soap opera adjacent writing, right?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro, which today is featuring the perennial screwup by Comics Kingdom where the black layer was left off. Write your own punchline, I guess.

The Family Circus

And with the new year, let's celebrate the triumphant return to the thread of Slylock Fox by Bob Weber Jr.! It's a long-running comic for kids, featuring simple Sherlock-Holmes-type mysteries, plus games and puzzles.

Today also features a drawing courtesy of Sadie, age 10, of a hollow-eyed specter that stares into your soul and can follow you into your dreams. Further bonus materials: a (presumed) mistake in the text about who invented the duplicator ray, and how to draw an anthropomorphic nutsack.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Powered Descent posted:

Bizarro, which today is featuring the perennial screwup by Comics Kingdom where the black layer was left off. Write your own punchline, I guess.

"Please, no meat-touching, sir"

Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Cowslips Warren posted:

So I just want to be sure in Demons, main dude Planck told his gf he'd be back after a year of training, and it's been like 4 years now, and she moved on and got married and had a kid but we're supposed to hate her for that, right? Instead of finding her annoying because all she's done is cry and scream his name.
Yeah, I'll stan Maggie here, I don't think she's intended to be hated for that nor do I think she's really done anything wrong. The thing about her and Copper is it's not like she despises him. They dated for years, she seriously loved him, and he mistreated and betrayed her. What that means is she still has some emotional attachment to him, and after it's reasonable to presume Planck dead, the financial pressures of remaining unmarried combined with the fact that Copper seemed to be making a genuine effort to do things over provides a pretty reasonable incentive for her to give him a chance, although jumping right into being engaged to Copper after not talking to him for like 4 years is total soap opera bullshit.

Even post-timeskip, consider Maggie being unhappy because her husband is taking the chance to train baseball over spending a day with her, unexpectedly. And Planck has, what, taken the last 4 years prioritizing training baseball over having any contact with her at all? She'd have loved him even if he got another job, but despite getting into baseball initially to impress Maggie, my take is that Planck has in fact thrown Maggie away to prioritize the chance at playing baseball again. He's the fuckup here, not Maggie.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Happy New Year!

(Fred G. Cooper)

It's also Public Domain Day, and our honor year under the US laws is 1927. The main one off the list of comics that caught my attention was the final installment of a thread favorite, A.D. Condo's "The Outbursts of Everett True", which means the complete run is free and clear for republishing and remixing.

1927 was also the debut year of Little Annie Rooney, which was created by Ed Verdier for King Features as a knock-off of Harold Gray's "Little Orphan Annie", but this other Annie had a different enough approach that she ran through the mid-60s.

Anyway, HEY, LOOK! COMICS!

The OP said your grandma might like Mutts (Patrick MacManus). Well here, lemme give you some ribbon candy.

Sally Forth (Francesco Marciuliano (writer), Jim Keefe (art)) got a new job in '22, one that her former friend Alice got her (and very quickly lost her own). Also, Hillary had a mood heading into Halloween this year, Ted's mom has a new boyfriend, and we just got through leaving his childhood home for the last time. The Forths had a lot going on.

Pearls Before Swine was parked here at the beginning of the last thread, but every third strip was about ARGH SOCIAL MEDIA AND THIS IS WHY WE ARE THE WAY WE ARE NOW! and I just couldn't anymore. So moving on....

Skippy (Percy Crosby, Mon-Fri): In the historical timeline, Skippy kept chugging reliably along, like Skippy does. In my timeline, I finally got around to reading Jerry Robinson's Skippy and Percy Crosby, a slim-but-interesting biography/strip anthology from the 1970s. It's still a good solid introduction, but it's loaded with enough details of Crosby's final years in the mental ward of Kings Park Veterans' Hospital to cast a shadow over the rest of your day, so be warned.

I also found out in Robinson's book that Crosby had a cup of coffee with a New York Communist newspaper (not the Daily Worker) in his early career and did some interesting editorial cartooning for them, but when he was in a financial pinch over back pay, he went to management with the revelation that he was one of the oppressed masses and what does that make you, Mr. Editor? They settled up with him and promptly fired him. That's how capitalism happens, comrades.

Peanuts (Charles M. Schulz): We're coming into the bicentennial year with the 50,000 watt blowtorch of 20th century newspaper cartooning. 1975 introduced Snoopy's brother Spike, the continuing adventures of Joe Schlabotnik, and a weird love triangle between Linus, Snoopy and a farm girl. Those things'll happen. (January 4, 1976)

And now, from "The Finger On The Monkey's Paw Curls" department:

It was announced just before Thanksgiving 2022 that Funky Winkerbean was closing shop after 50 years of whatever the hell all that was. Even before we knew, it was a roller-coaster ride through the strip's anniversary year, at least partially because the big first story line was Marianne Winters winning the goddamn Oscar for playing Saint Lisa of Cancerwife in a movie that we had been assured vanished without a trace. From there, we got what in retrospect was some serious "final season" energy, with a marriage of two next-generation characters we've barely seen in years, one final class reunion, the closure of Montoni's, the recycling of a murder weapon into a toy (because SYMBOLISM!), and (in the stupidest twist of them all) the literal last-minute addition of a time-travelling janitor who claimed he'd been manipulating the timeline with the Eliminator helmet. I can't say I won't miss it, but I also can't say I'm not relieved to say goodbye to all of that.

Unfortunately, we were also informed that Crankshaft (Tom Batiuk (writer), Dan Davis (art)) would absorb the Funky cast, which is a promise that started feeling like a threat once we entered the fourth quarter.

What can you say about the version of Mutt and Jeff (Bud Fisher (but really Al Smith and an army of anonymous drones), Mon-Sat) that's currently being served up through official channels? Trying to construct a throughline out of a collection of randomly posted gag-a-day strips from multiple decades is a doorway to madness. It's the ultimate zombie strip. It kept showing up for generations...until the day in 1983 that it didn't. But a few of you are glad to see it here, and that's good enough for our purposes.

Rip Haywire (Dan Thompson) is still a parody of the type of action strip that only people like us seem to read the originals of, at least in the home market. Sundays are currently reprints of The Curse of Tangaroa! graphic novel, which was an excuse to :justpost: seven days a week.

We have multiple paths to Popeye now. The mothership is still Thimble Theater, as of 1939 under the stewardship of Doc Winner (art) and Tom Sims (story) after Elzie Segar died in '38. Winner didn't stick with the strip for the long haul, and maybe that's for the best considering he couldn't draw a Jeep to save his life. (Mon-Sat)

Meanwhile, 2022 was the year Something Positive creator Randy Milholland passed the audition and took over the Sunday Popeye strip upon Hy Eisman's retirement. The results have been described as "Something Positive with Popeye characters", but Milholland's been turning in a nice hangout strip that somehow manages to infuriate certain types of fans.

Over the summer the syndicate added Olive & Popeye to the line up, which is split between Shadia Amin doing Olive-centric material on Tuesdays and Randy doing more Popeye stuff on Thursdays. It's a weird enough schedule that people are starting to wonder if King Features is playing a long game here.

And last but never least, 2023 will be my tenth year posting Out Our Way (J.R. Williams, Mon-Sat). We're up to mid-1940, and one or two of you were wondering out loud what effect the Great War sequel nobody asked for would have on the thread's favorite single-panel wonder. Sure enough, events in Europe are starting to seep in around the edges.

We left 1939 on an almost symbolic note, with Goldie grabbing a piece of the past while it was still there.

We opened 1940 with Goldie coming this close to getting eaten alive by a money scheme when he tried to leverage that piece of the past for profit. So it goes.

Also, I did a few of these last year. Love takes many forms.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 8, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves is an educational story which teaches that talking to a Finn will sooner or later lead to a knife fight.

Last year our titular hero:
-Stopped kidnappers who tried to take over a lumbermill
-Stopped bootleggers and saved an abused child
-Aided a good logging camp against their shady rivals
-Foiled a group of scammers
-Returned a stolen horse
-Helped a family to keep their farm
-Saved a kidnapped woman and helped to catch a fugitive
-Helped an old man to find a wife

-Won 7 and lost 2 fights
-Was knocked out 3 times
-Was captured 5 times
-Killed 2 bears
-Saved someone from drowning 3 times
-Charmed 4 girls (+ a bunch of minor characters)

And currently he's trying to find a horse to take his date to a dance.

Nancy

Dustin

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm liking the edits.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The best edit of all time:

(by Forktoss)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

:five:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Powered Descent posted:

And with the new year, let's celebrate the triumphant return to the thread of Slylock Fox by Bob Weber Jr.! It's a long-running comic for kids, featuring simple Sherlock-Holmes-type mysteries, plus games and puzzles.

Wait, Slylock Fox invented and used the device, not Count Weirdly?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hostile V posted:

Shove off, Lynn, your kid looks cool as hell.

My son would have regrettable hairstyles and go out in regrettable clothing. As an old boomer I thought (at first) it was weird, but rather than say anything I just took pictures for evidence. And I'm no sartorial example, either.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

maltesh posted:

Wait, Slylock Fox invented and used the device, not Count Weirdly?

Perhaps in recent years when we haven't been following the strip, Bob Weber has begun using the "unreliable narrator" literary device to help promote skeptical thinking in children.

Or perhaps Slylock did build it, and placed on it the initials of his intended victim.

Or perhaps Slylock is Count Weirdly, in a Tyler Durden sort of way, and all of these mysteries are just parts of Slylock's mind competing against each other while under the influence of the seven percent solution of cocaine that he took up in imitation of his famous detective hero.

(Or perhaps it's just a simple error in the text, but come on, what are the odds of that?)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Hostile V posted:

As always reposting my favorite edit:

I'm a bit surprised that "if you don't understand Arlo and Janis' punchline, they're talking about loving" didn't make it into the OP.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mercury Hat posted:

I'm glad this got posted in the new thread because I'm dying to get an explanation for what Nancy's done to that toothpaste tube. Was this a common thing to have happen or what :psyduck: .

Toothpaste use to come in much more metallic tubes and hole would develop if you didn’t roll it from the bottom first.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Your daughter is dressed up like Clarissa Darling. So what?

I don't know what you mean. Foob is definitely a fresh new strip from 2023 and not a shoddily edited strip from the 80's and 90's

Goodbye old comics thread, hello new comics thread! Hoping for a good year for all of us!

No comics from me today because I don't post Luann and Gil Thorp on Sundays and Ellis Rosen updates Junk Drawer when he feels like it and he wasn't feeling it this week! Oh well!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Who was posting the Judge Parker catch-up strips? I keep wanting to read the comic again but I'm so far behind and I don't have archives access because Comics Kingdom sucks.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Take-Over

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Classics of [checks notes] "Racist Conspiracies in the Workplace". Hm.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom (or Popular Comics) was a magazine that ran for 145 issues, from 1936 to 1948, collecting (what else?) popular comics of the day. Given the niche and age of the magazine, scans to which I have access are sometimes a bit rough. We're currently on issue #42. I've been posting two pages at a time, but lately I've been thinking about switching to just posting the entire chunk of a particular comic's sequential pages, which could give us a range of one to six pages posted per day. Any thoughts on changing up the Popcom approach?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Crab Dad posted:

Toothpaste use to come in much more metallic tubes and hole would develop if you didn’t roll it from the bottom first.

Oh drat I wondered if it was something like that. Thanks.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics
Now's probably a good time to remind the new thread that the scans I get these from don't have Sundays, which is fine for most of my strips but Spiderman has an unfortunate tendency to advance the plot on Sunday and not recap it at all Monday.

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

I forgot to mention it yesterday, but I also post Legends in the Heights. It gets updated on a MWF schedule, so there won't be a new one until tomorrow.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

Ground floor with my comics av back

I got terminally behind last year but I'm here from the start this year - perhaps I shall repost The Bus and The Creeps
Somebody's currently reposting The Creeps, actually! It'd be nice to see The Bus again, though.

Also why isn't there a link to this thread at the end of the last thread?

Kazinsal posted:

Happy new year thread! Did we ever determine whether or not we wanted to add Doonesbury From Zero to the lineup or not? If so I will figure out how to start scraping and uploading it from gocomics a week at a time and start posting it.
:justpost: but it'd work best if you (or somebody else) can explain the now very-not-topical references it made all the time.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

:china:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

We all know you're going to wear purple, Mary.

The Phantom

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Pooch Cafe didn't update.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Man, Rex is an rear end in a top hat. Put the loving shovel down and make a snowman with your loving kids.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Hippocrass posted:

Man, Rex is an rear end in a top hat. Put the loving shovel down and make a snowman with your loving kids.

For real. Calvin's dad was so much better.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

This one's a rerun, but I think it's one of my favourite F Minuses. I want to see my Z-Ray!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Back again with more comics from the Fantastic (for some) Forties!

Both of these strips started life as comic book features, Pogo in 1941 and Archie in 1942, before making the jump to newspapers several years later. Back then, comic books were scut work for a professional cartoonist -- having a syndicated newspaper strip was where the real money and prestige was. Things sure have changed, huh?

Pogo 10/3-5/49

Pogo actually started syndication in May 1949, but these strips, from the Washington Evening Star, are the earliest I can find.

(Home Run Baker)

Archie 2/4-9/46

Of possible interest is this article on the question of who actually created Archie and the gang. (Short form: editor John Goldwater, the J in MLJ Publications, claims he came up with them based on his experiences growing up as a small-town kid; meanwhile, Bob Montana said he was just told by Goldwater to create a new non-superhero feature for MLJ's comics, and created Archie etc. on his own.)

Anyway, I posted the first two Archie strips (taken from the Harrisburg Telegraph) in the last thread so we'll pick up from there:
Upon request, I've added in the first two Archies as well.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 2, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

I love the extra-sour early Jughead. Every look screams "What the hell is it now?"

It's A Sketchy Life for December 30, 1926! Here's where I flip through the pages of one of the long-running humor magazines from a period when magazine cartoonists were the Rolls-Royces of ink-slingers. Many of these folks crossed over to newspapers. A few of them traded up to regular slots with the New Yorker. Every once in awhile, Percy Crosby or Milt Gross show up.

And sometimes you just can't decipher the signatures, like...um...Farrar? (timg'd for unseemly tallness)

Don Herold:

Russell Patterson:

John Held Jr.:

Storm (another I-dunno, spoilered for potential NSFW):

And a Gluyas Williams spread that's busy enough that I couldn't shrink it with a clean conscience:

(You've already seen the cover.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 2, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Early Archie seems pretty solid, those strips are some nice rapid joke pacing and the art is slick. And I've always been a Jughead fan besides. I hope you'll keep it on!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Hell yeah, new thread! Happy new year everybody!

Crabgrass

Same, tbh.

Old School Peanuts (Jan 13-15, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 15-20, 1992)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

For the sake of archival, would you please put the first two Archie strips into that post?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I've never read Archie before, but I know it was hugely popular and even has a fanbase today. So far what's been posted has been good! I look forward to reading more!

Also curious about that invisible lady strip. I'm remembering that strip we had in here about that ancient Egyptian lady who died and came back to life in modern times or whatever. It always seemed like it was just about to get rad, but never did. Don't know why that's coming to mind.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Julet Esqu posted:

I've never read Archie before, but I know it was hugely popular and even has a fanbase today. So far what's been posted has been good! I look forward to reading more!

Also curious about that invisible lady strip. I'm remembering that strip we had in here about that ancient Egyptian lady who died and came back to life in modern times or whatever. It always seemed like it was just about to get rad, but never did. Don't know why that's coming to mind.

God, I loving loved Deathless Deer. What was that description, inane drama interrupted by the domestic squabbles of birds?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

For the sake of archival, would you please put the first two Archie strips into that post?

Done!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

catlord posted:

God, I loving loved Deathless Deer. What was that description, inane drama interrupted by the domestic squabbles of birds?

It really was terrible and weird, but in just the right way to make it fascinating.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I like that we had basically the same reaction as 1940s comics readers- "What the hell is this?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Found a collection of Footrot Flats at my local used book store!
Very excited to have my very own paper copy of sheep, bull and goat balls on parade!