Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Julet Esqu posted:

It really was terrible and weird, but in just the right way to make it fascinating.

Remember how, due to one of many drastic retoolings of the comic's basic concept, the last we saw of once-important characters the professor and his assistant was them sitting in jail because the police thought they were drunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 23, 1955)

The classic scans come from the excellent Fantagraphics collections. If you like what you see, please consider buying a few of these books, as they reproduce the strip in a lovely oversized format with stunning color fidelity. Foster's artwork is spectacular and these collections are probably the first time it has been given a format it deserves since first being published in papers.

When I was a kid I had trouble getting into Prince Valiant because it had a long backstory and seemed wordy and dense, so I'm including a high level summary of the plot of the classic strips to this point to help those who haven't been following along. You can find that here.

As a shorter catch-up, Aleta's business in the Misty Isles has been dealt with, and so we find Val's family preparing to travel through eastern Europe back to Thule. Currently they are in Constantinople looking to hire some of the Varangian Guard to travel with them.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (January 29, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

riderchop fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 3, 2023

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

drat, this is a deep cut!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Hi, thread, I'm celebrating my birthday and the new year in Hawaii, have a couple Hawaiian Kliban cats!

The stuffed cat is tempting, but I'm not sure I'll be able to fit it in my luggage

I'm incredibly jealous!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

~Coxy posted:

drat, this is a deep cut!

as if to hide our shame from god

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
And when thou eatest thy ortolan, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to eat the ortolan standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. But thou, when thou eatest thy ortolan, crawl beneath thy table cloth, and when thou hast covert thine head, chomp thy ortolan in secret; and thy Aunt Fritzi which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Nancy 6:6

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kazinsal posted:

as if to hide our shame from god

But what I don't get is how Nancy can fit the TV under the blanket too.

You know, to watch Barbra Streisand sing Celine Dion.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Meanwhile, 2022 was the year Something Positive creator Randy Milholland passed the audition and took over the Sunday Popeye strip upon Hy Eisman's retirement. The results have been described as "Something Positive with Popeye characters", but Milholland's been turning in a nice hangout strip that somehow manages to infuriate certain types of fans.
A bit late but these Popeyes made me look up and bingeread the entire Something Positive archive over several days. A lot of fun ones (Pamjee is great) and some strips hit right in the feels. Can recommend.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haven't read S*P in years and I'd forgotten how much the very first one sets the tone :allears:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So I've been posting Solver by John Allison which, as Pancho Jueves said in the intro follows Lottie from Bad Machinery. Now 18 or 19 years old Lottie, after having been framed for murder in Allison's unfinished print series Wicked Things, has formed a business, Steel City Solvers, dedicated to solving problems people bring to them. Lottie is joined by her friend and Bad Machinery semi-regular Claire Little and new character Glenn Durgan. The series mostly takes place around Sheffield, the setting of Allison Giant Days comic and home of his own Alma Mater.

Solver runs M-W-F and Allison usually posts in groups of 22 page “issues”. Also while the badmachinery.com website is mainly used for the Solver series Allison uses it to post any of his side comics, like last years Giant Days x Batman crossover.

Solver 9: Boys Like Fun Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Welcome back for a whole new year of comics! What will they be? Beyond the first week of April, I can’t tell you (because I don’t know) but until then, a two-part Solver story. It’s got a small amount of Dean Thompson – I would say, just enough.

If you’re a Patreon subscriber ($3 a month up), you can download the whole of part 1 now.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1948

Nancy 1943

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I like that Nancy didn't even frame the shot well. Even if she had set the timer right she'd have been mostly outside the shot.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Kwanzaa's nearly over so the only way I can picture this ending tomorrow is "So the fish turned Joe into a normal person and then his life was awesome, the end."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

And with the new year, let's celebrate the triumphant return to the thread of Slylock Fox by Bob Weber Jr.! It's a long-running comic for kids, featuring simple Sherlock-Holmes-type mysteries, plus games and puzzles.

Today also features a drawing courtesy of Sadie, age 10, of a hollow-eyed specter that stares into your soul and can follow you into your dreams. Further bonus materials: a (presumed) mistake in the text about who invented the duplicator ray, and how to draw an anthropomorphic nutsack.

It’s my secret shame that almost never do I get all of the differences between the two images. There’s a real art to creating those that Webber really understands. Or I’m a moron.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/1/03

Brenda Starr 2/16-18/50

Smokey Stover 2/10/52

Everyday Movies 12/14/35

"It ain't gonna hurt you none to throw on a few extra shovelfuls of coal a day until Christmas."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/6-8/40

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

And it just occurred to me that I forgot to post yesterday's FoxTrot. This strip, by Bill Amend, began in 1988 and moved to Sundays-only in 2006. It covers the everyday adventures of the Fox family and frequently features nerdy young Jason.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Vargo posted:

Kwanzaa's nearly over so the only way I can picture this ending tomorrow is "So the fish turned Joe into a normal person and then his life was awesome, the end."

I assume the fish gives everyone else in the world rabbit features too. Wouldn't really make the message any better, though.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Magic Fish: "That's cool. I wish I was in an actual clean and healthy-sized aquarium rather than this tiny stifling fishbowl, choking on my own waste. Perhaps in some magical fantasy world, at least one of our wishes could be granted."

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 20, 1935)

Peanuts (January 1, 1976)

This space feels...empty. It feels doubly empty because the Funky Winkerbean page was deleted from Comics Kingdom at some point yesterday. Good excuse for an audition. (flips through what's being offered on the big two websites)

Miss Peach (for awhile Ms. Peach) was launched in 1959 by Mell Lazarus, who you might remember as the creator of Momma, a strip that ran long enough that it was part of the early Comics Curmudgeon rotation. His big innovation was the "flounder face" style of head drawing, with both eyes on the side of the nose facing the reader. The strip is set at the Kelly School (named for Walt), and the pupils are (and, unlike Peanuts, always were- giant-headed wisecracking imps. Considering how many of you feel about mid-period Charlie Brown, this may not go over well. (June 19, 1989, because this is the period the rerun machine decided to drop us into.)

Crankshaft has also been erased from Comics Kingdom, which has to be embarrassing, seeing as how Ed and his son-in-law showed up for work anyway.

(e: because Crankshaft changed syndicates and main websites, which was announced a long time ago, but I was too distracted by the collapse of the Funkyverse to notice.)

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 3, 1939)

Out Our Way (September 19-21, 1940; spoilered for the usual reasons, and the first reminder of the new year that if a non-Anglo/Western European was looking for fair-minded media representation at the turn of the 1940s, they sure as hell weren't going to get it in the comics section of a mainstream American newspaper.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 2, 2023

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSyBQ0sj-U4

Since Miss Peach is being shared, here's an animated short Chuck Jones executive produced.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Raisin Bran has more sugar than pretty much anything with marshmallows.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s my secret shame that almost never do I get all of the differences between the two images. There’s a real art to creating those that Webber really understands. Or I’m a moron.
I had to look at the answer to get one of those this time (the mouse's teeth), so at least today you're not alone.

EasyEW posted:

This space feels...empty. It feels doubly empty because the Funky Winkerbean page was deleted from Comics Kingdom at some point yesterday. Good excuse for an audition. (flips through what's being offered on the big two websites)

Crankshaft has also been erased from Comics Kingdom, which has to be embarrassing, seeing as how Ed and his son-in-law showed up for work anyway.

(e: because Crankshaft changed syndicates and main websites, which was announced a long time ago, but I was too distracted by the collapse of the Funkyverse to notice.)
I wonder if this means Funky was being cancelled by the syndicate anyways and that's why it was ended so (what seemed to me) abruptly.

F Minus

:china:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Edit:
Who is this?
Oh it's the girl Tommy proposed to a few years back, Brandy.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe never updated for yesterday, but here's today's anyways.

Rex Morgan MD

[b]Andertoons

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 2, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Counterpoint: He’s a grown man who clearly needs both a hobby and more physical activity. I say let him try.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hey, gang! What do you say we start this new year with a masturbation joke?

Luann

Normally when an unmarried woman gets hot and bothered in this strip it is a SIN and she is a FALLEN WOMAN and it is PUNISHED. But not right now. I'm not sure what the rules are.

Gil Thorp

You can also put a masturbation joke here, if you want to.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I sometimes wonder how you train for pole vaulting. Seems like something you can't meaningfully work your way up.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

Hagar artist needs to learn to draw octopuses from the Overboard guy.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

EasyEW posted:

This space feels...empty. It feels doubly empty because the Funky Winkerbean page was deleted from Comics Kingdom at some point yesterday.

thats really funny

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Classic Managerial Strategies: Use One Weird Trick Called "Racism" To Your Advantage!

So Madelaine is a pre-existing character but not for too long, she's just been one of the generic background cats that've been involved in this whole coup thing.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

lol, perfectly done :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/6-8/49

Archie 2/11-13/46

drat, that's a fine Jughead smirk. I'm more familiar with the standardized, simplified Dan DeCarlo style on Archie, and it's amazing how much better Montana is.

Sadly, I can't find a version where the third panel background signs are readable.

Some bits of '40s slang to decipher here: An "all black" in soda fountain parlance was a chocolate soda with chocolate ice cream. "Lindy hopper" refers to the Lindy hop, a popular dance in the prewar era but lame and outdated for a modern 1946 teenager. And "Greetings, Gate, let's percolate!" is indeed how a hepcat would invite someone to dance -- "Greetings, Gate!" was the catchphrase of comedian Jerry Colonna, usually worked into a rhyming phrase, e.g. "Greetings, Gate, let's celebrate!"

Selachian fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 2, 2023