Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, November 16-19, 1982

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons

:respek: Visited my hometown this weekend to hang with some old friends from middle and elementary school. Had a lot of fun but man did I feel my age...

Kazinsal posted:

At the beginning of 2023 I joked/asked about doing Doonesbury From Zero, because at that time someone was doing Blondie From Zero. If there's anyone who would like to see it come to fruition I'd be interested in finding a format that works for that. It's a much more traditional comic strip so a week's worth of Doonesbury From Zero would take up less screen space than my current three strips per day of SGR, and unlike SGR, Doonesbury has been going for over fifty years.

If folks would like, I'd be happy to start doing Doonesbury From Zero in 2024, but regardless, I'll keep doing the Scary Go Round archives.

Sure, if you're willing to do it!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's very easy to indulge in mean-spirited criticism, as I'm sure seeing my forum name means a high likelihood of "holy poo poo did you see how bad Trail is today" to thread regulars, so I'll chip in my new years thinking for things I actually like.

I post Jucika so I'll share my bias earnestly. It's a cute, funny, charming and genuinely wholesome and good-spirited strip starring my type. A reminder that good comics craftsmanship is timeless, it's 60 years old and most of the strips ring true today. Also great to see a strip in the 60s being a step ahead in portrayal of women. Jucika's hot and that's half the punchlines but she's also smart, clever and most attractive of all passionate and kind, as well as confident, strong and able to consistently set standards of what she'll tolerate. Even with all that she's plenty flawed, relatable and funny! It's almost cheating to have a character this likeable. It's truly a shame Pusztai passed early.

Flash Gordon came out of nowhere and continually impresses with art direction and writing chops. It's like Dan hopped onto the funny pages to embarrass every other long running adventure serial on a dare.

Both versions of Prince Valiant are great. The modern version is a strong adventure strip that does great work with a lot of character, especially given the legacy of what it goes up against. It delivers good art weekly and is admirable for it. Of course it's competing with the absurdly talented legacy Foster left behind, producing masterpieces weekly, all of which would look good framed on a wall. The absolute mastery of character personality, dramatic twist, expression work, comedy and so on makes it by far the best strip in the thread. Despite indulging in a lot of mid-century "women be women" touches of humor Foster turns in loads of kickass characters all around. I think I share a common first read of Valiant with many thread regulars in that my young eyes took in a good looking fantasy strip but my mind said "too many words" and I passed, so bless this thread for getting me to see what I was missing out on.

I second the universal love of Wallace the Brave, Arlos and Janis, and Cul De Sac, the last of which is in thread hiatus. Maybe it's time for another run? I rag on the bad comics for phoning it in but that's because we can look across the page to those that do the work every day and it reflects in genuine warmth and joy, even in simple art. Likewise to Q-Rais, where I'll read anything he makes for the same reason.

L'il Abner and Scarlet O'Neil have been the surprise hits of 2023. Absolutely insane in the best way, genuine belly laugh producers, love them, thank you for being you authors of old. I'm a sucker for old time strips and find Out Our Way, Toonerville Folk and Our Boarding House to be little highlights every day.

Archie is profoundly better than anyone expected after decades of rehashed joke mill slop we'd see in supermarket checkout lines. At least we know why it caught on in the first place!

We Are Reproducing is weird but good and interesting weird. Same for Crabgrass, now that I think about it.

Sally Forth isn't usually my cup of tea, long word bubbles of Socially Awkward Nerd bouncing off me without prior investment to the setting and character, but it's never really bad and clearly recent storylines have earned everybody's interest. It's a few steps above the likes of Crankshaft, so good on Forth.

Speaking of thread absentees... I love Everett True, The Timid Soul, Dogbert, The Creeps and the amazing translated non-American works we get in this thread, thanks to those who work so hard to translate and bring them to us. I miss Cheer Up Boss Darma but Demons of Baseball has taken the threads breath away in the last year, heh. I'd always be happy to see reruns of the classics, though the last Creeps was fairly recent. As I mentioned prior I'll finish Jucika's current run, probably by the middle of February, and let it sit for at least half a year.

I can't name everything I like but thanks to everybody who posts and reads. Thread is good, Happy New Year. :tipshat:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh wow I didn't put together that Barin was technically a Fisher King.

Also thanks for everyone posting comics, discussin comics, and/or putting up with my somewhat inconsistent posting schedule (sorry about that). Here's to many more threads in the years to come!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

This is what I’m talking about. TomBat could have spent 3 or 4 panels showing how busy they were all week, but instead we get talking heads describing stuff that happened off camera.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Child-Rearing Comix To Round Out The New Year

'

Man, Animorphs Was A Great Series

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Doomykins posted:

Speaking of thread absentees... I love Everett True, The Timid Soul, Dogbert, The Creeps and the amazing translated non-American works we get in this thread, thanks to those who work so hard to translate and bring them to us.

I have well over 400 The Timid Soul strips in my "MORE CASPARS" folder, which I plan to resume posting once I have finally caught up with this thread.

(Seriously, I'm way behind.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm amazed at this panel. I'm too stunned to comment.
Me sitting over here purposely interpreting it in the most trans way possible. These hormones will make you a man!

1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

End of the year comics thoughts:
-OOW is good, and I don't find it hard to understand most of the time(it probably helps that I've been reading it consistently, since a lot of strips seem to rely on you knowing what Strip Category it's in/the recurring characters involved to get the broader joke). I'm lowkey amused at the "these danged modern cattle are too soft for the real world" strips it's been doing lately.
-Nthing the "not sure how Archie is this good but it is" posts.
-Flash Gordon is amazing and I hope it stays this way, instead of going the way of NuTrail.
-Everyone in Mary Worth is always the worst at all times.

E:

Some Guy TT posted:

I have lost track of who exactly is writing Nancy in the eighties but it's much closer to older Nancy than newer Nancy in tone and vibes.
It's still Bushmiller, that's why. This was after his Parkinson's diagnosis(which was in 79) but he was still producing the strip until his death in 82.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 31, 2023

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

THORN, November 16-19, 1982

This guy looks like a caricature of somebody, but I have no idea who.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Reads a bit differently when you're used to cider being an alcoholic beverage.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

At the beginning of 2023 I joked/asked about doing Doonesbury From Zero, because at that time someone was doing Blondie From Zero. If there's anyone who would like to see it come to fruition I'd be interested in finding a format that works for that. It's a much more traditional comic strip so a week's worth of Doonesbury From Zero would take up less screen space than my current three strips per day of SGR, and unlike SGR, Doonesbury has been going for over fifty years.

If folks would like, I'd be happy to start doing Doonesbury From Zero in 2024, but regardless, I'll keep doing the Scary Go Round archives.

I have some fond memories of reading my parents’ old Doonesbury collections, particularly the football gags—would hopefully be fun to revisit them as an adult! (“It’s amazing how much you can forget between seasons.”)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
this one, this is the OOW that still totally blanks me

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Training to be bombardiers in the wake of Pearl Harbor? Yeah, it flies well over my head too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nostalgamus posted:

This guy looks like a caricature of somebody, but I have no idea who.

It is. It'll be revealed in tomorrow's post.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

The Dodgers clearly disagree

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

She's going to Baseball Hell Island to become a Demon of Baseball (Reporting)

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Oh, God, is she pregnant?

amigolupus posted:

It does make sense in hindsight. Maggie fell for Copper Ma acting like a pathetic wimp when she went to see him in that training camp. She's convinced herself that she 100% loves Copper Ma now, but seeing him lose again and again has made her doubt her decision. She's got sunk cost fallacy by this point decided she needs to do anything she can to preserve the lie that Copper Ma is unbeatable and she chose to back the right man.

This is a cautionary tale about what happens if you get Copper Ma-pilled. :smith:

Remember also how Copper Ma proposed: he beat some ridiculous baseball record to prove his love and his worth to her. He's come back to that same idea a couple of times since then: if he loves his wife and is worthy of her, then his performance in the game will reflect that. Now that Maggie has decided she's on Team Husband for good, she really needs him to be good at baseball.

Today's comic comes with a little blurb, in case it'll help the new thread:

Junk Drawer is a pretty consistently good gag panel that runs once every week or so, provided Ellis Rosen feels like drawing it.

My other strips don't run on Sundays (well, Luann does, but I pretend it doesn't), so I'll just do a quick sum-up for the new thread now:

Luann follows the lives of a group of college students who act like they're in middle school. It is written by Greg Evans and his daughter Karen, who have no idea how humans behave or what qualities make them likeable. A top hate-read for the thread.

Gil Thorp is about high school sports and the drama that follows the teen athletes and their coach. Henry Barajas took over the writing of the strip in 2022 and has been dragging it kicking and screaming out of the 50's since then.

Home Free tells the tale of a family whose home renovations are taking too long, so they have to live in their back yard. Also their youngest child can talk to animals. Though it is theoretically a strip for children, it is deeply weird and occasionally disturbing and therefore must be posted in timg format to protect Goons' innocent eyes. Tom Toro posts this thing every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

There's our favorite bald sandwich lover. :allears:

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Hostile V posted:

HELLWORLD WILL NEVER DIE AND I WILL POST THROUGH WHERE THE PROJECT STARTED UNTIL THE SERPENT DEVOURS ITS OWN TAIL SO THOROUGHLY ALL IS ONE AND ALL IS MEAT, MERCILESSLY WASTED MEAT

Argyle Sweater's gonna stick around too.

I honestly like Argyle Sweater.

I skip right past the other one you post. I think I read through most of it before, and uuuuggghhh.

edit: BTW, I'm mostly a lurker in this thread and I've grown to enjoy many of these strips. Best character: Seagull from Wallace the Brave and Garbage Ape from Heathcliff

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 31, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Ya know, Keith's a big doofus but I can appreciate the power move of stealing the man's burger.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

https://iasip.app/tgoKUbp45UaU0K6EaSmYcQ

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I love the fry going limp.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So was the reason for Jughead’s dishonesty ever revealed? Why is he “getting in good with the mom” as he has repeated three times?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

Can a comic be too weird? Probably not, but if it could, Bardiche Hotel would qualify.

Q-Rais is the good kind of weird IMO.

Here's my controversial comment for the end of the year: Heathcliff is the bad kind of weird. It's monkey cheese, but also repetitive. I try to avoid being negative about strips (except maybe Dustin or something) but I don't like Heathcliff at all. There, I said it.

Other random thoughts:

Flash Gordon is the best reboot we've seen in these threads and I hope Schkade can maintain the quality.

Scarlet O'Neil is absurd in the best way, I love it.

My guilty confession is that I have been enjoying the Kevin & Kell posts. The strip is fun to read, if perhaps for reasons not intended by Holbrook.

I'm very grateful for everyone posting old comics, translated comics (especially if you're the one doing the translations!), or really any other kind of comics. Comics! Comics!!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hostile V posted:

Child-Rearing Comix To Round Out The New Year

Ok this punchline was funny/clever.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery
Thanks everyone for another year of great posts! Nthing the love for new Flash Gordon, Wallace continues to be the best, glad I've been able to develop a new appreciation for Arlo and Janis. As always, I'm looking forward to complaining more about Luann in the new year.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

amigolupus posted:

The hell is this strip talking about? Dethany always sees things from a positive perspective. That's her entire schtick, that she's Not Like Those Other Girls Goths. She's twee as gently caress and is absolutely insufferable to be with.

The concept could be other people would NOT recognize her attitude and go for the steretype goth-depressed and negative.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Anyone who likes Flash Gordon really owes it to themselves to read other things the author, Dan Schkade, did. I especially recommend Lavender Jack! It's a good detective serial!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Medenmath posted:

Here's my controversial comment for the end of the year: Heathcliff is the bad kind of weird. It's monkey cheese, but also repetitive. I try to avoid being negative about strips (except maybe Dustin or something) but I don't like Heathcliff at all. There, I said it.

Oh good, it's not just me. I get the sense it doesn't really know what to to with itself now that it's done the "lol garbage ape/gum balloons/helmets with wacky things written on them" schtick so many times.

Wow, there's a robot with MEAT written on it, hilarious!!

"Doesn't really know what to to with itself" describes a lot of the not-good weird strips, honestly. Look at Overboard - it's bizarre, but doesn't really do anything with it and just kinda repeats the same few cutesy-but-done-weirdly things over and over. (although the artist's inability to draw any animals at all is still charming to me)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

riderchop posted:

Anyone who likes Flash Gordon really owes it to themselves to read other things the author, Dan Schkade, did. I especially recommend Lavender Jack! It's a good detective serial!

I'm checking it out now (it's on Webtoons), and it's very good!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
So. I thought I'd take some time before the new year to introduce the new daily strips I'll be posting for next thread.

The Dingbat Family/The Family Upstairs
George Harriman's first successful strip, The Dingbat Family/The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family follows the Dingbats as they go through their day to day lives. The strip will be quickly retooled to introduce the never seen Family Upstairs and the trouble they cause the Dingbats. Also some cat and mouse show up or something. They never become important.

Baron Bean
Harriman's immediate followup to The Dingbat Family, The strip follows the adventures of the titular Baron, a down on his luck nobleman who mooches around town seeking a free meal. He eventually gains a 'butler'. Sort of Mutt and Jeff if it didn't suck

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals
The adventures of a Teenage Girl and her family, Polly became something of a prototype for the flapper era strips such as Edgar Martin's Boots and Her Buddies, Chic Young's Blondie and Larry Whittington's Fritzi Ritz.
Polly would end up surrendering much of the spotlight in her own strip to her family, the titular 'Pals', though would never be 'Barney Googled' at least.

Gasoline Alley
The strip switches to a daily format. Though The Rectangle still occasionally appears in my source, mostly, Sunday strips are the same as the daily strips. Starts as a gag a day slice of life strip, but will eventually become a longform almost soapish strip with real-time aging. Is currently the longest continuously running American newspaper strip still being actively published, 105 years, and the second longest running, period, after the Katzenjammer Kids, 109 years, 1897–2006.

Us Boys
A gag a day slice of life strip following a neighbourhood of children, often focusing on the titular boys and baseball. It's next to impossible to find any information on the strip or its author, Tom McNamera. It started in 1910, but the earliest strip I could locate was May 3 1911. The strip appears very infrequently until the end of 1911 when it starts almost running daily. Searching for the strip on Newspapers.com is really annoying and involves multiple papers, but I like it.

I will still be running Krazy Kat Sunday strips along with Little Nemo, Moving them to Sunday. Other strips may be added depending on how well I'm able to keep up this schedule. I want to maybe do Krazy Kat dailies if it's not to annoying finding them on Newspapers.com.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Well, it's 2024 here, but not in the thread, so here's one more post - which also finishes up the chapter of BH, which would be weird to do in a first post in a new thread anyhoo.

We Are Reproducing

Bardiche Hotel

End of Chapter 9: Snow!

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

So was the reason for Jughead’s dishonesty ever revealed? Why is he “getting in good with the mom” as he has repeated three times?

Yeah, we still have no idea who he is. It makes this whole story frustrating and bizarre (among other reasons). I assume there’s to be some sort of twist in the reveal, and I predict it will be feeble.

Anyway, Keith’s an idiot, making threats here, unless he’s already taken a video or something.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"How dare you do pretty much the same thing I did" - a heroic manly man from a better generation

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I mostly lurk the comics thread anymore---really, my posting heyday was sometime in the last decade---but I still appreciate this thread a lot.

I'd like to get back into posting something, but nothing's grabbed me of late, and I'm not going back to my old webcomic thread ways of posting absolute dogshit.

Well, we'll see if I stumble across something worth it in the next year. Thanks to the posters for keeping things moving.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

So Moy wants us to root for Real Man Cop here for being an alpha male who protects his loved one but there's a couple problems with that. Kitty and her daughter don't need protecting, nor did they ask Keith to do this for them. Hell, Kitty herself doesn't even like Brad; Cop Man's the only one who thinks that. And two, Keith trying to chase away Brad here would work better if he was actually doing it for altruistic reasons. I doubt Moy realizes that Keith comes across as a huge piece of poo poo who's only doing this so he can force his daughter to see what a cool and good cop person he is.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Now that we've sees him eat in All Meat Burgers, we're supposed to infer that he's lying about being a vegan and also tricking the daughter that he's a good person. Not that maybe the place had a vegan substitute option in the menu, or that he had a moment of weakness. So instead of trying to clear that up, the comic just had him repeat that he's getting in good with the mom so you know he's a bad person that needs to be chased away.

And yeah, like Chicken Parmigiana said, we don't even know who he is. This storyline has been skipping over a ton of important details while still somehow managing to drag on forever.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Giant Ethicist posted:

Well, it's 2024 here, but not in the thread, so here's one more post - which also finishes up the chapter of BH, which would be weird to do in a first post in a new thread anyhoo.
Bardiche Hotel

End of Chapter 9: Snow!

Bardiche Hotel is so good, dang.

Also happy new year to everyone! I hope things get better for you, or stay good if they already were!

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
A big THANK YOU to everyone who posts itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mister Olympus posted:

this one, this is the OOW that still totally blanks me

The boy on the right is being an rear end in a top hat dropping sand bags on passing people or critters. The boy on the left is stepping up to be a hero and save the approaching puppy by inflating a bag and then popping it to scare the puppy away before it gets hurt.