Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Your daughter is dressed up like Clarissa Darling. So what?

I don't know what you mean. Foob is definitely a fresh new strip from 2023 and not a shoddily edited strip from the 80's and 90's

Goodbye old comics thread, hello new comics thread! Hoping for a good year for all of us!

No comics from me today because I don't post Luann and Gil Thorp on Sundays and Ellis Rosen updates Junk Drawer when he feels like it and he wasn't feeling it this week! Oh well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I've never read Archie before, but I know it was hugely popular and even has a fanbase today. So far what's been posted has been good! I look forward to reading more!

Also curious about that invisible lady strip. I'm remembering that strip we had in here about that ancient Egyptian lady who died and came back to life in modern times or whatever. It always seemed like it was just about to get rad, but never did. Don't know why that's coming to mind.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

catlord posted:

God, I loving loved Deathless Deer. What was that description, inane drama interrupted by the domestic squabbles of birds?

It really was terrible and weird, but in just the right way to make it fascinating.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hey, gang! What do you say we start this new year with a masturbation joke?

Luann

Normally when an unmarried woman gets hot and bothered in this strip it is a SIN and she is a FALLEN WOMAN and it is PUNISHED. But not right now. I'm not sure what the rules are.

Gil Thorp

You can also put a masturbation joke here, if you want to.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

It's always unsettling, getting called out by The Creeps

Luann

I admit that I'll read the occasional romance novel, but it's gotta have people getting busy on the cover or at least on the inside flap or I'm not giving it a second glance.

I know this is a comic strip and there isn't room for that kind of detail, but I'm still a little disappointed that there are no smoochers on this terrible, terrible romance cover.

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

This Guy: I respect Toby!

Also This Guy: You didn't slap me, so I still have a chance! :dong:

Ahh, the 80's

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

AND THEN KISS

Luann

I hate it when romances do that. Like, you've got this new couple trying to have an adventure and fall in love and meanwhile the whole time there's these old dipshits wandering around in the background waggling their eyebrows and nudging each other in the ribs like, "Eh? Remember when we were the ones having adventures and falling in love? Eh? Eh?"

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

How come Forest View gets to let their coach play on the team?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Is that a thing? I’ve never heard of that.

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's a joke. You wash dishes with soap (aka washing up liquid). Washing rice with soap sounds awful.

Her character is the trope of Sheltered Rich Girl On Her Own For The First Time. She's never had to make her own rice before, so when she was told she had to wash it first she assumed they meant with soap.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

:siren:TODAY'S CRANKSHAFT IS MISSING. HOW WILL WE EVER SURVIVE?:siren:

Oh, that's right...welcome to Crankshaft Crankback (October 22, 1987)

Holy poo poo. A funny Crankshaft.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'm liking Archie way more than I expected I would. It is good.

Luann

My mom read romance novels. Apparently I was supposed to be horrified by this instead of asking her for recommendations.

Gil Thorp

Oh dear

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

So, if someone in your immediate family likes to read romances, you know. The books are lying around, or they're in bookshelves in the house, or you actually see the person reading them. Luann is incredibly unobservant and self absorbed is what I'm saying.

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

:china:

When listing the top three struggles of Iris's life, having dated Wilbur comes in second behind her son being addicted to drugs, but ahead of her chronic thyroid disease.

Luann

What an obnoxious loving prude.

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

You always start reading books from the middle?

I mean, your current novel you're working on is about how your brother got sooooooooo hot. I don't think you have any room to criticize.

Gil Thorp

Gil Thorp is super boring me, you guys. I thought it might be fun to post because the new writer seemed like he was trying to update things and be more inclusive, but storylines never go anywhere. There don't even seem to really be storylines; things just happen. I don't know how much longer I'm going to hang with this one.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Kennel posted:

Dustin

Everyone is an rear end in a top hat in Dustinverse.

Is this guy unaware that he's running a business?

ellie the beep posted:

honestly i am loving loving gil thorp after forcing myself to actually read it, BUT i will say the biggest flaw in it is the sports. because gil thorp is in fact a high school gym coach his professional and personal life are kinda gonna by necessity revolve around high school sports. so far it looks like the writer is trying to keep the sports shown accurate for what would be played in high school at the time, which puts a fairly severe limit to how the sport-sided storylines can and must progress; its the holiday problem i pointed out earlier but very unfortunately baked into the premise

i dunno, maybe im making excuses, but i genuinely do like gil thorp and im glad it gets posted :shobon:

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I have to agree with all of this. I tend to skip past the game-centric strips, but I am enjoying the hell out of the rest of it. So Julet Esqu, please know that you are not posting it in vain.

Okay, for you I'll keep posting it. But not today.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

On another topic, while quoting this I noticed that your filenames are all "Screen-Shot-xxxx", so I'm guessing you're doing screenshots because GoComics blocks right-click save-image-as. Public service announcement for anyone doing the same thing: that's really easy to get around. Install a browser add-on called Stylus (Firefox, Chrome), which lets you make changes to the way your browser renders various sites. In this case, you can use it to turn off the silly right-click block. In the settings for the Stylus add-on, create a new style, name it something like "GoComics right-click" (or anything that strikes your fancy), and paste in these lines in the big code window:

code:
.item-comic-link-disabled, .js-item-comic-link, .item-comic-image {
    pointer-events: auto !important;
    cursor: default !important;
}
You are now free to right-click and download all the comic images you like.

I had been getting into GoComics using a bookmark that disabled the rightclick blocker thing and it had been working fine, though it was an extra step. I just tried this and it works. Thank you, thank you.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

My god, 80's Mary Worth was such a poo poo stirrer. These people haven't even moved in and she's getting poo poo for letting them in and she's here supposedly trying to get some support for her decision and still she can't resist poisoning the well.

Luann

Gil Thorp

That is 100,000% the Tiger King

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Whew, got a little behind on this thread, but caught up now.

So does Gil Thorp coach both basketball and football? That seems weird to me, but maybe my high school had one coach for multiple sports and I just never knew it.

The impression I've gotten is that Coach Thorp coaches all the boy sports and Mrs. Coach Thorp coaches all the girl sports. Presumably Coach Kaz coached some sports too, but he recently changed jobs. I feel like he was just an assistant coach or something, but I'm not sure about that.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Classic

Luann

Is she, though?

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Speaking as someone who was here for it, it wasn't that grand. I do vaguely recall that there was some theft of personal health information involved.

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Doomykins posted:

I feel like Gil Thorp might actually be a strip if it slowed down and showed more than one out of three beats in any given story.

Like is the woman in red some sort of... vape wholesaler? She sounds more like a fundraising organizer or something. And you know, vapes being treated with the same casual shadiness of hard drugs instead of something sold everywhere. In that last panel these two guys are up to something but I'm not even sure the author knows what.

They're raising money for school sports by secretly selling vapes instead of candy or wrapping paper or whatever school approved nonsense they're supposed to be selling. But the pacing makes it hard to put that together because it jumps around from plot to plot seemingly at random without really giving you a chance to get a handle on what's going on. A lot of jokes have been made over the years about how newspaper comics repeat themselves over and over and constantly recap the plot, but there's a reason they do that, you know?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

You're half right, anyway.

I feel like Tara Starr should know Piro. Like he was blamed for a TV theft she did? But I'm sure as hell not going back to look.

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Doomykins posted:

So the easy thing to do would be to mock the bad art and writing but I think the greater crime is spending a week of redundant strips stressing the danger of literally dozens of gators in a pile being within lunging distance and never drawing a single one actually making more than a territorial jaw opening at Mark. A bit more support for my theory that Jules can't actually draw animals. Two months of set up and then to not draw the red meat of the action.

And really, the original premise of the storyline was potentially interesting. We're going to go hunt a cryptid! Cool! How do you go about looking for this cryptid? How are the kids getting along while this is happening? Let's learn something about swamp ecosystems and also maybe about how urban legends like mythical swamp creatures come to be! Do we even find the cryptid? Maybe Mark can find some other interesting endangered animal to blog about! How are the moms getting along back at base camp? Maybe they (the kids or the moms) run into some jewel thieves in the swamp or something!

But no. Jules gets bored almost instantly and throws a bunch of gators at the problem.

Luann

While Friend Code dictates that you at least tread carefully around the topic of having a thing for someone your friend has a thing for, Bernice gets the hots for every dude she meets. Also she hasn't thought about Piro in a few years. The statute of limitations has passed.

Gil Thorp

So GoComics recommended a comic to me that I haven't heard of before called Home Free. The overview on the site is tl;dr for a strip that only started last July, but the premise appears to be that a kid is camping in his back yard because the family home is always undergoing renovations and while he's back there he learns he can talk to animals. It updates three times a week. The art looks okay, so I guess I'll give it a try and we'll see how it is. Maybe I'll go back from the beginning if there's interest. Here's the last week, timg'd because these are big:

Home Free

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

goatface posted:

I have completely lost track of the emotions in DoB.

EVERYBODY IS INCREDIBLY ANGRY

Junk Drawer

I think I will start posting Home Free from the beginning. It's a new enough comic that it shouldn't take too long to catch up and by then we should be able to tell if it's any good or not. Here's the first week, timg'd because the panels are so big

Home Free

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Creeps is so good. Controversial opinion, I know.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

So we are to believe Cassandra Cat carried those crutches with her to that spot and simply waited there for Slylock to question her. I don't buy it, Weber. I don't buy it at all.

If you go with the idea that Cassandra Cat just does crimes to get Slylock's attention because she has the hots for him it works.

Luann

She's still there? I thought this was resolved.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil THorp

Home Free

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The parents presumably know she's not paying rent. She's definitely rich enough to pay rent if they asked, but apparently they haven't.

She is partying right now, but not there; she's going to a dorm party. So they're planning to lie. Cool. Great friend behavior.

Gil THorp

Home Free

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 3, 2023

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I haven't seen Bootsie for a while. Is it gone?

Luann

Tiff's "friends" loving suck.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Hopefully this improves when we get to the "living in the back yard and talking to animals" part of the story

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Yay Marlys!

Junk Drawer

Home Free x3

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

She's a pushy parent being pushy. She'll probably learn the error of her ways, or maybe not, it's Mary Worth.

Olden Days Mary Worth was even more of a shithead than Modern Mary. Odds are good she's going to make the teenager learn to quit disappointing her horrible mom.

NVTrainee posted:

Sorry, but I have to get this off my chest. What's her name, Megan? I hate her. Constantly digging into Dustin with her awful wisecracks whenever he has an interest of doing something or looking for jobs when she hasn't ever expressed interest in getting a job of her own while she's old enough to actually get one herself (as far as I remember)?

If I dealt with a person like that for a long time, I'd punch them in the face. I know it's a bit extreme but she's the worst.

What's-her-face is Dustin's kid sister. She is still in high school and has not yet discovered how much the real world sucks for young people today.

She is also a disgusting toady for the parents. She sucks big time.

Luann

HEY BRAIN GENIUSES. HAVE YOU TRIED THE TOTALLY CLEVER AND SNEAKY PLAN OF OPENING YOUR loving MOUTHS AND SAYING "HEY TIFF IT'S BEEN COOL HAVING YOU AROUND, BUT NOW THAT YOU'RE ALL BETTER LES WOULD LIKE HIS ROOM BACK. ARE YOU GOING TO GO BACK TO THE DORM OR TO YOUR MANSION OR...."?

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free