Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Kwanzaa's nearly over so the only way I can picture this ending tomorrow is "So the fish turned Joe into a normal person and then his life was awesome, the end."

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Flyers tickets are so cheap now because the Flyers suck. I just checked stubhub and I can get Mezzanine tickets for a game this week for $35. Center ice is like $120.

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

I actually deeply relate to this one, as my dad loves hockey and I don't care about it, so he bought me a Gritty jersey to wear when we go to games.

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Tooie didn't get poo poo backwards, Joe, this is exactly what you asked for.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curt-hahahahaha what the gently caress

"Prejudice would go away if we all looked the same. But we don't all look the same and that's awesome. So I guess don't have prejudice"

Okay, so like... prejudice isn't just about outward appearance though. There's still sexual/gender prejudices, religious prejudices, territorial ones, etc...

But even if it was, this doesn't do anything because NOT EVERYONE LOOKS THE SAME NOW. People all still have differences, they just now have bigger teeth and ears! There are three different skin tones right in the second panel!!!

I guess it means "since everyone looks the same (as Joe) prejudice and ridicule were ended (for Joe)" but that's not how it works or how it reads!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

shut up old man.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

lol Crabgrass rules so hard

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

I thought we were getting a hat ladys strip from the first two panels and I am extremely disappointed

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Kennel posted:

Dustin

This story would have worked much better if it was Ed wanting to buy a motorbike.

How committed were they to this whole pole-vaulting thing that they made it accommodate both the daily AND Sunday print schedule?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't mean that particular C&H, I meant C&H itself as "one of the best known strips of all time." This is the third time recently he's taken from Watterson really obviously.

Tauhid also did "giant shoes" jokes in The Problem With Jamal, and he was very open that they were homages to the Zits running gags. I think they're loving references and there's enough there to make it distinctly different that it's not a complete rip-off.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
what the gently caress is wrong with the Dustin people

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

This Rae got me good and I like it better than all the dumb pun strips.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

This is really not all that difficult from like, Ben Shapiro's debate strategy.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

This actually happened when I was a kid, my parents took us to see Weird Al at a state fair and my little sister was disappointed because she thought she was going to see a giant weird owl.

BigglesSWE posted:

I have a soft spot for Bizarro. He will draw any and all puns that runs through his mind and I applaud him for it.

This is why I hate Bizarro, most of these aren't really puns or even jokes or really anything. Also sometimes he's weirdly pretentious and judgemental but that hasn't happened for a while.

EasyEW posted:

Am I imagining things, or does the color palate not pop quite as much as it did at CK? Not that that isn't closer to proper school bus yellow, but still...

Arcamax definitely has different color settings on its image files than CK does. When I posted Curtis from there for a few days it looked like everyone was wearing day-glo spandex.

riderchop posted:

i've never seen this type of tentacled animal in my life

Chip Dunham account spotted.

Breaking Cat News

Tommy continues to be best cat.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Billingsley does the "I'd rather have x food" "do you have money for x food" joke about once a month but the "my dad beat me" part is new!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Gil Thorp

That is 100,000% the Tiger King

Are a bunch of cartoonists just now getting around to watching Tiger King or is the lead time on these WAY longer than we thought?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

readingatwork posted:

Anybody interested in the new (school) Peanuts collection by artists that aren't Schultz? It's closer to a graphic novel than a strip but I think it counts. I haven't read it yet so I can't vouch for it's quality but either way I think it would be interesting to see how it compares to the classic (and 70s) stuff.

I would probably advise against this, because if there's anything that's gonna get us into copyright trouble, it's posting pages from a book in print right now featuring one of the world's most highly marketed brands.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne

This one was kinda hard to translate. In norwegian "untidy room", "untidy drawer" or "untidy closet" is a term that means "a place you put stuff that don't belong in other places" but there doesn't seem to be an english term like that.

Junk drawer, Junk drawer, JUNK REFRIDGERATOR! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJPbvSbPOXM

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

The_Other posted:

Speaking of Wallace, it looks like Vargo hasn't posted in a few days.

Hi hello, I'm alive, I had a bout of food poisoning and then a bout of work poisoning.

Breaking Cat News

Heart

Phoebe

Wallace the Brave

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Ahh, Billingsley's old arch nemesis... sentence structure.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

You know, if I were Jules, I would probably try to avoid constant reminders that even James Allen used to have Mark do stuff in his strip once upon a time.

But yet, here we are.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

I like this so much that I'm ignoring how this poem does not scan. like at all.

Heart of the City

Curtis

somepartsareme posted:

Wasn't the boat explosion from her first Mark Trail arc? Or was that a reference to another famous Mark Trail boat explosion? They bring up the boat a lot but no one talks about how Mark blew up a police helicopter in that arc too iirc

The famous boat explosion was in James Allen's first arc, that was also the arc where Mark straight-up kills a scuba diver by cutting his oxygen hose with a fishing spear. I remember how excited the thread was for this new incarnation of Mark Trail, 80s action hero. And how quickly that fell off.

Similarly, I think Jules had Mark doing stuff (and talking to animals) initially too (and maybe that's when he blew up the helicoptor?) If she had a boat explosion, I don't remember it, but they've been referencing the initial JamesAllen boatsplosion since like, week one.

I can't explain why Bizarro makes me so angry but it sucks and I hate it.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Doomykins posted:

Jules would never honor Jamesallen, Mark caused a boatload of fireworks to explode in the first storyline where he made up with his estranged dad. It's real touching, the first major plothole in New Trail where Mark almost literally steps off camera and teleports away from Florida and all consequences as though it was a Peter vs Giant Chicken gag on Family Guy.

I assume Mark's dad just murdered the clear and present eye witness Mark was fighting in that boat. :allears:

I'm not going to check, but I'm PRETTY sure that before Mark blew up those fireworks, Jules still had everyone in the strip talk about "ol Mark sure does love to blow up the boats!"
She definitely at least mentioned Mark's boat-exploding tendencies in an interview as a reason why she was interested in the character to begin with.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Just saw that Chris Browne, son of Dik Browne and the current artist of Hagar, passed away a few days ago at the age of 70, RIP.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Good morning! Go Birds!

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

The rules for when this comic uses a property's real name and when they make up a legally-distinct fake one are so unclear.

Curtis

Vargo fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 12, 2023

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Great news about the new Watterson book, it must really be some project if it got him to crawl out of his hermit cave. If it gets him to do an actual interview, just give it the Pulitzer today.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

I could have sworn this rerun story ran only a few weeks ago, but the copyright says 2020.

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Those japanese marble sodas are really fun but this is a reference that is going to confuse a lot of the audience

Curtis

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo