Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Hell yeah, new thread! Happy new year everybody!

Crabgrass

Same, tbh.

Old School Peanuts (Jan 13-15, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 15-20, 1992)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Counterpoint: He’s a grown man who clearly needs both a hobby and more physical activity. I say let him try.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 16-17, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 21-24, 1992)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

This must be an absolutely miserable marriage to be in. God forbid Ed have some fun and make some new friends. Not that Ed is any better to live with, mind you.

Also I just learned that they are making some new Peanuts graphic novels that are releasing this month. I may post them once I can get a copy.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 18, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 25-26, 1992)

Big Nate

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Vargo posted:

Curt-hahahahaha what the gently caress

"Prejudice would go away if we all looked the same. But we don't all look the same and that's awesome. So I guess don't have prejudice"

Okay, so like... prejudice isn't just about outward appearance though. There's still sexual/gender prejudices, religious prejudices, territorial ones, etc...

But even if it was, this doesn't do anything because NOT EVERYONE LOOKS THE SAME NOW. People all still have differences, they just now have bigger teeth and ears! There are three different skin tones right in the second panel!!!

I guess it means "since everyone looks the same (as Joe) prejudice and ridicule were ended (for Joe)" but that's not how it works or how it reads!

Even without those factors prejudice would still exist because it’s the primary way class-based hierarchies are justified while also serving as a useful tool to push the naturally occurring negative outcomes of capitalism/colonialism/society in general/etc away from the upper classes and towards the “right” people. In other words, if you need to do something lovely to a large group of people it’s usually a good strategy to characterize them as fundamentally deficient in some way so that the general public doesn’t feel a need to get involved. Removing the surface level attributes used to justify these actions post-hoc would do nothing to prevent this.

/soapbox

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Get. A. Divorce.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 19-21, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 27 - Nov 1, 1992)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Ed should do all three things out of raw spite.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 22, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 2-3, 1992)

Big Nate

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Seriously though the dating profile thing is incredibly unhinged. What the gently caress?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 23, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 4-5, 1992)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Lol, he’s going to do the one class and decide it’s not for him but she will stay mad forever and bring it up at his funeral.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
In a whacky turn of events it turns out that Ed accidentally signed up for pole *dancing* lessons. It then becomes his background hobby for the rest of the strip’s run.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

I'm definitely going to tell a small child that time zones are a form of time travel at some point.

Old School Peanuts (Jan 24, 0954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 6-7, 1992)

Big Nate

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
It’s the confirmation that Ed’s wife is actually exchanging photos that gets me. She’s not just putting a profile out there to manipulate her husband but actively flirting with people. Absolutely insane.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 25, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 8-9, 1992)

Big Nate

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 26, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 10-11, 1992)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 27, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 12-13, 1992)

Big Nate

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

This really raises a few questions about the nature of Hobbes

Right? The possibility of Hobbes being imaginary always makes you question Calvin's sanity a bit but this arc is like fight club for kids.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 14, 2023

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 28, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 14-15, 1992)

Big Nate

E: Saving this for later:

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 14, 2023

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

Don't make me sympathize with Ed.

This is legitimately the most I've liked Ed since I've been aware of this strip's existence and I want it to stop.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 29, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 16-17, 1992)

Big Nate

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

I hate this so much. Simultaneously the most frustrating way things could have played out while also being the most predictable.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 30, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 18-19, 1992)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 31, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 20-21, 1992)

Big Nate

E: Whoops, posted yesterday's C&H

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 17, 2023

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

:ssh: These are the same ones you posted yesterday.

Whoops! Fixed.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 1, 1954)

Mood.

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 22-23, 1992)

Big Nate

Anybody interested in the new (school) Peanuts collection by artists that aren't Schultz? It's closer to a graphic novel than a strip but I think it counts. I haven't read it yet so I can't vouch for it's quality but either way I think it would be interesting to see how it compares to the classic (and 70s) stuff.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 19, 2023

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Vargo posted:

I would probably advise against this, because if there's anything that's gonna get us into copyright trouble, it's posting pages from a book in print right now featuring one of the world's most highly marketed brands.

Fair point. Instead I think I’ll read it on my own and write out my thoughts once done.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Honest =/= Mean.

Does... Does Kelley not understand this?

Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 2, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 24-25, 1992)

Big Nate

I see. So there are going to be no real consequences to any of this and nobody will be forced to actually grow or deal with their feelings. Cool.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

Look I know Hagar's never been historically accurate and was always about the suburban American nuclear family with a viking veneer, but I feel like it used to at least pretend.

I like Randy and I like that he's doing Popeye but that is an S*P strip with the character designs switched out

throwing a lot of shade on Calvin here for a guy who didn't want to draw his Sunday pages on a grid

To be fair Bill might be poking fun at himself here.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 3, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 26-27, 1992)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 4, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 28-29, 1992)

Big Nate

Holy poo poo that's brutal, lmao. Was not expecting a punchline this good from Big Nate.

Somewhat related: I watched some of the Big Nate cartoon on P+ and now that I've read enough of the strip to have a feel for what it's about I have to say I really hate some of the decisions it made. Some of them are kind of obvious like adding a bunch of unnecessary grossout humor or the presence of social commentary about underfunded schools that either goes nowhere or blatantly contradicts itself by making the teachers kind of evil but I think the thing that bugs me the most is that they changed the world a bit to make Nate essentially correct about everybody around him.

One of the things I enjoy about the BN strip is that everybody is fairly neutral most of the time but because Nate is a narcissistic little poo poo they get transformed in his mind into idiots, losers or outright villains (his teacher being the best example of this) and the strip then draws humor from the gap between reality and whatever mental image Nate's spun up in his head. It's not laugh out loud funny but it can be relatable in it's own way and basically works. The show on the other hand takes these ideas about people that Nate dreams up in the strip and then makes them the reality of the show. His teacher is no longer a normal person dealing with a kid who hates her irrationally but a psychopath who actively hates her students, Francis is the loser nerd Nate thinks he is, his dad is a pathetic loser and so on. I hate it so much. I wouldn't call the Big Nate strip a masterpiece by any stretch but the show takes whatever emotional IQ the strip had and replaces it with the same kind of generic mean spirited cynicism we've seen in most media since the 90's (think Dustin but nowhere near that offensive). It's *very* frustrating because the show is well animated/acted and could have been a pretty good adaptation under different circumstances.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 21, 2023

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 5, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 30 - Dec 1, 1992)

Big Nate

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 6, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 2-3, 1992)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 7, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 4-5, 1992)

Big Nate

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 8, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 6-7, 1992)

Big Nate

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 9, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 8-9, 1992)

Big Nate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 10, 1954)

Something I've noticed about Schultz is that he's really bad at drawing action and this is a perfect example of it. Need to draw a reaction to a surprise? Just take a standing pose and turn it upside down!

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 10-11, 1992)

Big Nate

Didn't we just recently have an arc where Nate told her he wasn't interested and she agreed to back off?

Blind Alley